• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

A few short comments about games which I have played recently:
  • Evoland 2 started as the Nier Automata of RPG, but it overstays its welcome: the music are repetitive, the game is very linear. It gets more obvious after ~9 hours, so I drop it as I dropped Oceanhorn.

I'm with you on this.

Tizoc

Gamersgate discount on Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 ended today it seems.
Feel free to Tweet them asking if they could extend it :X

Nzyme32

Not a surprise but listening to the co-optional podcast and TB mentions - according to Valve, after discussion of achievements and maybe using those as data to understand how far people are progressing in games, how they play them etc - turns out people earning achievements is at an all time low

Probably because there are tons of games that people jump around / don't play some for very long

AHA-Lambda

Wow. Just done the part in Nier Automata with
Pascal at the end of A2's part on Route C

Genuinely left floored...

Not a surprise but listening to the co-optional podcast and TB mentions - according to Valve, after discussion of achievements and maybe using those as data to understand how far people are progressing in games, how they play them etc - turns out people earning achievements is at an all time low

Probably because there are tons of games that people jump around / don't play some for very long

There is also little incentive to getting 100% of the achievements in a game as it doesn’t increase an overall score or reflect on your profile other than an optional showcase. They pop up in the game with zero fanfare and a lot of the times I will miss it even happened if my resolution is set high. I don’t think Valve needs to necessarily revamp its achievement system to accommodate console players that are used to them but it's a bit half baked.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
15000.png

I... don't even know

well 7extonly just broke 13.000... it will happen soon :p

FJZnc1Q.png

Ascheroth

Deletion

But the choice genuinely gave me pause, I felt torn either way; and the whole scene right before very much shocked me.

Just... fuck...
Oh boy, I chose the same. Have you played the
9S route yet? Make sure you visit the village.
I hope your heart has insurance, because the game sure isn't done with ripping it into pieces yet.

Battlechili

Banned
ATLUS is still living in 2005 basically, and that's how they make decisions.

Between this, still no PC ports, regionlocking games on Console, 6-18 months late releases compared to Japan, their DLC policies, and the way they treat the EU, ATLUS gotta be the worst company in this industry.

Sucks greatly, cos their games are fantastic.
I would STILL argue that Nintendo of America and NIS America are worse than Atlus
I'm still just salty over how they handle game localizations
Admittedly NISA's PC ports have made me warm up to them

AHA-Lambda

Oh boy, I chose the same. Have you played the
9S route yet? Make sure you visit the village.
I hope your heart has insurance, because the game sure isn't done with ripping it into pieces yet.

damn man, I'm just about to do his part =/

PS: Actually, is the game going to soon explain
why the hell the circumstances for the start of Route C actually happened? People keep going crazy but nothing has been said about it, and I do realise I'm near the end now after all

Nzyme32

Anyone want money off Tyranny? 50% off the PDX store (steam key)

Only catch is you have to actually go ahead and buy the game and post confirmation, so I can celebrate how cool you are.

There is also little incentive to getting 100% of the achievements in a game as it doesn't increase an overall score or reflect on your profile other than an optional showcase. They pop up in the game with zero fanfare and a lot of the times I will miss it even happened if my resolution is set high. I don't think Valve needs to necessarily revamp its achievement system to accommodate console players that are used to them but it's a bit half baked.

I really don't want fanfare or incentives to get achievements. For me I just use it as a personal system to understand other ways to play a game once I'm done, and when I get back to it I'll maybe give it a try. They are nice little bookmarks of my own progress, but that is all I need them to be.

So, about Destiny 2. Good news, russian retailers already doing preorders for usual AAA price for RU/CIS region (35$) and keys listed as "region free". Bad news - retailers not sure that keys will be for Steam, basically saying "DRM will be clarified later". And if russian retailers don't know about such things for sure, there is a chance that Activision will try to sell keys for their own launcher - last time when retailers were not sure about keys DRM was GTA5 preorder. Of course it's still too early too say for sure and nothing is confirmed, but it's strange that Activision not telling about DRM to their official distributors.

Ascheroth

There is also little incentive to getting 100% of the achievements in a game as it doesn’t increase an overall score or reflect on your profile other than an optional showcase. They pop up in the game with zero fanfare and a lot of the times I will miss it even happened if my resolution is set high. I don’t think Valve needs to necessarily revamp its achievement system to accommodate console players that are used to them but it's a bit half baked.
Pls no achievement points or levels or what have you. They're just fine in all their half-bakedness.

data

Question about DMC3 SE, with the style switcher mod is it as good as the PS2 version? I want to play it since I've never finished it

xezuru

Im a huge fan of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie but Slasher's Review on it has confirmed all the fears I had in the good amount of preview footage that was shown. Lackluster content density to scale ratio, my personally hated notion of missing an objective and having the platforming equivalent pixel hunting, and some janky parts of the moveset. Seems like it's still an enjoyable game, but it really is a shame, especially after from what I've heard they were dialing it back to Kazooieesque more focused rather than Tooie variety and scale which I didn't agree with but is fine, but then still seemed to have that density/hunting issue.

There is also little incentive to getting 100% of the achievements in a game as it doesn't increase an overall score or reflect on your profile other than an optional showcase. They pop up in the game with zero fanfare and a lot of the times I will miss it even happened if my resolution is set high. I don't think Valve needs to necessarily revamp its achievement system to accommodate console players that are used to them but it's a bit half baked.

It's almost like achievements are anything but.

So I'm at the opposide side of the camp: I wish I could turn off all achievement-related UI and displays in Steam. They only serve to weaken and undermine the games they're hanging over. Particularly because they affect the way I play, which... troubles me.

Kiru

So I'm at the opposide side of the camp: I wish I could turn off all achievement-related UI and displays in Steam. They only serve to weaken and undermine the games they're hanging over. Particularly because they affect the way I play, which... troubles me.

Same here actually...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am 9 hours into the excellent Myst-alike Quern when suddenly it hits me with an unskippable zero-control plot dump cutscene that lasts like easily 5-6 minutes. Why why why why why why why

I'm in both camps. Some games do them well, where changing playstyles is encouraged, and they start to feel rewarding. Especially in multiplayers.

As for revamping, absolutely. If they're going to be there, give them some weight. I sure as hell don't feel like an achiever if I get 'em / forget 'em / repeat.

Im a huge fan of Banjo Kazooie and Tooie but Slasher's Review on it has confirmed all the fears I had in the good amount of preview footage that was shown. Lackluster content density to scale ratio, my personally hated notion of missing an objective and having the platforming equivalent pixel hunting, and some janky parts of the moveset. Seems like it's still an enjoyable game, but it really is a shame, especially after from what I've heard they were dialing it back to Kazooieesque more focused rather than Tooie variety and scale which I didn't agree with but is fine, but then still seemed to have that density/hunting issue.

It's 2017. No one should be doing free-roaming levels this size without a map.

dex3108

I am 9 hours into the excellent Myst-alike Quern when suddenly it hits me with an unskippable zero-control plot dump cutscene that lasts like easily 5-6 minutes. Why why why why why why why

I just want to tell you to never try to do all puzzles in The Witness XD

AHA-Lambda

Nearing the end of Nier Automata now, and I want to put my thoughts down, as I've found this a strange game in some ways.

I've really enjoyed it so far, probably my favourite game of the year so far(?), but I think given the hype/reception it's had I wanted to like it more?

That said I've enjoyed the combat, and especially the sheer style and creativity of the game; the game has had some amazing moments.
But it feels like the game has a number of, at least imo, noteworthy flaws that aren't getting that much mention from what I've seen or read anyway.

Namely:
-The fast travel, should've been unlocked much earlier, but at least it is a fixable gripe
-Similarly, the map is pretty darn bad, and needs some more helpful signposting, but again you can get used to it
-The story has been surprisingly slow, in many ways. It's had some genuinely impactful moments (see my above post!), and the characters are likable, but the story is more character driven than plot driven I have found, that's fine but just not what I expected; but I find myself nearing the end of the game now with still many unanswered questions that I hope do get resolved (fwiw, I haven't played Nier 1). Oh, and Route B feels really rather pointless, bringing me to...
-The biggest gripe I have though is that this game feels really padded. The side quests have been largely a chore, most being largely fetch quest-like. I've found myself having the staring at icons on the mini-map "tunnel vision" reminiscent of Ubisoft games as i quickly go from place to place speaking to NPCs and picking up items, clearing out enemies.

I'm over 30 hours in now, near the end of Route C with 2/3rds of side quests complete, and I feel very much ready to put this to bed now.
The idea of finishing the remaining side quests or grinding for the requirements towards the final hidden ending does not instill me with any joy. But I know I may very well do it cos OCD/completionist syndrome =/

Just wanted to say my bit I guess, the game feels like a solid 8/10 for me that's being held back from being more.

Why would anyone preorder it? The other two games in the series don't really inspire confidence.

I think there's an offer where if you pre-order it you get the season pass for free?

Ascheroth

This is really insightful (from the Persona 5 stream thread)
Japan gonna Japan.

We had to get Arc System Works to stop requesting takedowns of English Skullgirls videos in their defense of the Japanese release, which was much later.

We more or less had to pull rank and say "Look, this is OUR IP and we do what we want with it. If you want to take down Japanese-voiced videos to defend your investment, go ahead. But you may not target the game as a whole."
My god, Japan. Please arrive in the present soon, thank you very much.

I'm in both camps. Some games do them well, where changing playstyles is encouraged, and they start to feel rewarding. Especially in multiplayers.

As for revamping, absolutely. If they're going to be there, give them some weight. I sure as hell don't feel like an achiever if I get 'em / forget 'em / repeat.

I agree with Ascheroth that an overall level added years later wouldn't solve anything, especially since they aren’t mandatory or implemented from the beginning. But if they're going to have them at all I think they should offer better options for those that are into them to keep track of their overall progress and provide the option to hide them completely or turn off UI notifications like the consoles offer. It just feels like they’re in the middle and those that enjoy them are limited but get in the way for those that have no interest in them.

Of course programs like SAM and open save files also render them useless, but just something to keep better track of my own games and completions would be appreciated.

prudislav

It's 2017. No one should be doing free-roaming levels this size without a map.
kinda surprising to me that is is a problem after watching some gameplay and reviews.. its not really that big to need a map, thats almost like wanting a map in DS.

But i guess you are right this is 2017 and people have attention span of a goldfish and needs a handholding even in linear games :-(

lazerfox

So, about Destiny 2. Good news, russian retailers already doing preorders for usual AAA price for RU/CIS region (35$) and keys listed as "region free". Bad news - retailers not sure that keys will be for Steam, basically saying "DRM will be clarified later". And if russian retailers don't know about such things for sure, there is a chance that Activision will try to sell keys for their own launcher - last time when retailers were not sure about keys DRM was GTA5 preorder. Of course it's still too early too say for sure and nothing is confirmed, but it's strange that Activision not telling about DRM to their official distributors.

Bummer... I hope we can at least start the launcher through steam like GTA5.

Grief.exe

Looking at the streaming policy from Atlus for Persona 5

It really does seem like the only reason Atlus hasn't had any games on PC yet, is because the upper management is backwards as hell. Someone at the top is probably still worried about everyone on PC stealing the game or some shit.

Ahahaha, reading the Atlus Persona 5 'streaming guidelines' makes it really clear why it is the only(? one of the few?) big japanese company not on Steam yet. They aren't even ready for the digital age on consoles yet.
What a joke of a company.

I'm sure the argument going around the upper management of Atlus is that they are losing sales over streaming. The reality is, the more people putting eyes on a product, the more likely they are to purchase it.

Even if they did have data to back up their argument, they don't, this move wouldn't be worth the negative PR.

Knurek

The next entry to SteamGAF's series of forever is coming out this month.

Sadly April Fool's past so this is real.

I really hope that they will be able to contract Gen Urobuchi and Chris Avellone for Vol. 4.
With the monies they are making off these games, sky's the limit.

that fucker one shotted me with a blast, he was at like 10% health, i'll do it again later hope i was just misdodging it

I died the first time, then accidentally beat him where I neglected​ to switch 2B to passive, then finally switched to A2 and got the ending.

Finished up the last couple and thankfully completed the game in time for Persona 5. Right now I'd say I prefer the original NieR to it but it's still the best game I've played in quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom