• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How does SteamSpy report uncertainty?

http://steamspy.com/app/441830
Owners: 49,933 ± 6,249

Okay.

http://steamspy.com/api.php?request=appdetails&appid=441830
Code:
{"appid":441830,"name":"I am Setsuna","developer":"Tokyo RPG Factory","publisher":"Square Enix",
"score_rank":34,[b]"owners":49933[/b] [b]"owners_variance":6249[/b],"players_forever":41133,"players_forever_variance":5672,"players_2weeks":2660,
"players_2weeks_variance":1442,"average_forever":749,"average_2weeks":2166,"median_forever":410,"median_2weeks":2152,
"ccu":35,"price":"3999","tags":{"JRPG":72,"RPG":69,"Anime":38,"Turn-Based Combat":35,"Great Soundtrack":34,"Story Rich":32,
"Fantasy":24,"Singleplayer":21}}

Okay, but you don't construct a confidence interval by adding/subtracting variance. I /assume/ that the value reported is equal to half the magnitude of the confidence interval (i.e. the value you add to the sample mean to get the tail of the confidence interval) rather than the variance.

But since we don't have the level of confidence the number is reported for, we can't back out the standard error, and thus can't get a confidence interval at an arbitrary confidence.

Wok

I am 9 hours into the excellent Myst-alike Quern when suddenly it hits me with an unskippable zero-control plot dump cutscene that lasts like easily 5-6 minutes. Why why why why why why why

I'm surprised you find it excellent. I would imagine you do not consider it to be as excellent as Obduction.

Personally, I find this Steam review very close to my experience:

I have a problem with the game's performance. My PC gets stable 40+ FPS in games like The Witcher 3, Rainbow Six: Siege, Obduction on medium-high settings and those games have more graphical fidelity than Quern, while Quern dips into low 30s and less shall I try to enable medium SSAO and AA at the same time.

I don't understand people that put Quern into some sort of comparison to Obduction. Obduction is on another level entierly, it actually brings new ideas to the genre, it's gorgeous while being fairly well optimized, it's of a much larger scope and it doesn't just rehash old genre tropes/puzzles.

I wouldn't call Quern a bad game, it's a fairly well made Myst clone, not nearly one of the worst, it's just boringly mediocre at everything it tries to achieve. I had no fun playing it and I realized this too late to ask for a refund.

Reference: an unabridged Steam review with spoilers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
On an unrelated note, there might be some ModBot troubles right now. I can't exactly figure out what the problem is, but I will try to get it fixed. In the mean time, sorry! Thankfully this week's Humble was console games so it's less pressing to fix.

I'm surprised you find it excellent. I would imagine you do not consider it to be as excellent as Obduction.

Personally, I find this Steam review very close to my experience:

Reference: an unabridged Steam review with spoilers.

I have a GTX 770 and play at 1660x900 with max settings and get >60fps with no hitches or micro-stutters or anything. I get about 45 fps at 1080p and didn't bother to tweak settings before dropping the resolution. Note that I have an SSD and I don't think anyone should play games without them at this point. I certainly do not find the puzzle content mediocre -- it doesn't live up to any of the Cyan Worlds games but this has more to do with worldbuilding and story elements than the quality of puzzles.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the most hilarious thing about that whole Persona stream thing is that I dont think anyone can argue that P4's big sucess (surely bigger than 3) was in no small part to the Giantbomb Endurance Run, which of course, streamed the whole game :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I would STILL argue that Nintendo of America and NIS America are worse than Atlus
I'm still just salty over how they handle game localizations
Admittedly NISA's PC ports have made me warm up to them

As unfortunate Nintendo's Youtube policies are, at least they're not threatening to shutdown channel accounts like Atlus is stating.

Wok

I have a GTX 770 and play at 1660x900 with max settings and get >60fps with no hitches or micro-stutters or anything. I get about 45 fps at 1080p and didn't bother to tweak settings before dropping the resolution. Note that I have an SSD and I don't think anyone should play games without them at this point. I certainly do not find the puzzle content mediocre -- it doesn't live up to any of the Cyan Worlds games but this has more to do with worldbuilding and story elements than the quality of puzzles.

Alright, I will give it another try in 900p (maybe even 720p). Downloading the 2.2 GB again. This is my 10th installed game.

i7ERP7T.jpg

I have it from a good source that a Nekopara vs. Sakura fighting game is in the works. The working title is too shameful to mention.

You can trust me, I am an insider.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
StarCrawlers had one of the most communicative, active early access periods I've ever seen in a game. No interest personally, but mad props to the developers.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
*watches StarCrawlers trailer*
*goes to add to wishlist*
*already on wishlist*

I both know what I like and don't at the same time.

gngf123

Then who knows what the hell Sega America even does.

Post about Sonic on Twitter.

I wonder if it's coming from Atlus or Sega. Either way it's amazing how little they understand about the Internet. Doesn't detract from the game itself but just seems dumb.

This is likely Atlus Japan. Their communication with Atlus USA is famously awful, and this stuff would fly a lot more in Japan than it would here.

Sega Japan are also stupid, but seem to occasionally talk to Sega Europe/USA enough for them to understand that this is an awful idea. Yakuza 0 also had Streams blocked but only in the JP version, for example.

Lomax

So that cdkeys deal for Lego City Undercover was too good to pass up earlier, and activating the key put me at 2000 games finally:

9Yt281O.jpg

I've always been somewhat discriminatory in my bundle buying and even more so in the last year, so I'm still pretty confident that if I had the time I'd like to play at least half of the games I own, if not more. Doubt I'll ever hit 3000 but it's hard to say, maybe someday.

ezodagrom

Then who knows what the hell Sega America even does.
Atlus USA and SEGA America are in the same building, so they pretty much merged I guess?

Their releases are still treated separately PR wise though, for example, SEGA America's twitter promotes SEGA JP consoles games in North America, such as Miku, Yakuza, Valkyria Revolution, while Atlus USA twitter is promoting Persona 5, KOF XIV, Utawarerumono.
(And then there's Sonic).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
why does Atlus have a streaming guideline anyway

Many Japanese companies in particular are quite out of touch with the streaming/let's play scene. I think they view it like video rules on previews before a game release.

There's a few companies exempt from this. I actually think for example Capcom is one of the Japanese companies with best grasp of the whole scene, they will remove videos/streams of their games before the release date (which makes sense to me, fair enough), but after release they allow videos of their games full-stop. They respond quickly to release false claims, and I think allowing it benefits their game (for example, all the exposure Resident Evil 7 got on release I think ended up helping it, literally at RE7's release you could hardly find a YouTuber who wasn't playing RE7, and the game has done quite well which I think was benefited from this and the positive word of mouth, plus most people who played it on streams/videos enjoyed the game).

Yes, I'm saying more Japanese companies should be like Capcom on this particular topic.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Many Japanese companies in particular are quite out of touch with the streaming/let's play scene. I think they view it like video rules on previews before a game release.

There's a few companies exempt from this. I actually think for example Capcom is one of the Japanese companies with best grasp of the whole scene, they will remove videos/streams of their games before the release date, but after release they allow videos of their games full-stop. They respond quickly to release false claims, and I think allowing it benefits their game (for example, all the exposure Resident Evil 7 got on release I think ended up helping it, literally at RE7's release you could hardly find a YouTuber who wasn't playing RE7, and the game has done quite well which I think was benefited from this and the positive word of mouth, plus most people who played it on streams/videos enjoyed the game).

to be fair to Capcom though, they have an established american scene, and they have a massive stock in fighting games so they know about the positives in video sharing

Though Atlus should have known, what with ArkSysWorks being under them

Eyeballing this too! Wondering the same.
yeah, I put it in my wishlist for future reference

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
to be fair to Capcom though, they have an established american scene, and they have a massive stock in fighting games so they know about the positives in video sharing

Yup, that definitely plays a role. Capcom simply has more experience and insight into the Western 'gaming video' scene, their fighting games playing a big role in that, but I do hope some more companies east side can pick up on the scene, how it benefits them, and why it may not be a good idea to get too restrictive on it. It's their call to make on their property and all, but I honestly just think a lot of Japanese studios especially haven't wrapped their head around the scene quite yet.

Just because ArcSysWorks has an American division and are in the fighting game scene, they still can act just as ass backwards like their partner, Atlus. From the Atlus streaming thread, Ravidrath of Lab Zero Games, developer of Skullgirls, had this to say:

Japan gonna Japan.

We had to get Arc System Works to stop requesting takedowns of English Skullgirls videos in their defense of the Japanese release, which was much later.

We more or less had to pull rank and say "Look, this is OUR IP and we do what we want with it. If you want to take down Japanese-voiced videos to defend your investment, go ahead. But you may not target the game as a whole."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom