• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
yooka laylee is going to be great

wlwUJy5.gif

Granjinha

did anyone play the content added to oneshot after the patch?

cause if you liked the game, you should. It's fucking amazing :')

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
did anyone play the content added to oneshot after the patch?

cause if you liked the game, you should. It's fucking amazing :')

I NEED TO SOON, OneShot is catching on more which has me happy but not quite there. Head the Solstice update was amazing though.

Corpekata

Banned
What is the rationale behind this? Do they think people watching videos of a fighting game will then skip buying it because they've seen the story?

I think it has to do with voice acting and music contracts. They are very different there and I'd wager they are the culprit behind their asinine outlook.

So I just started playing The Witness and I'm solving the puzzles at the start when I climb up on the wall and
notice that a part of the terrain kind of ressembly the puzzle's terminals and to my surprise it was one! So I get to the roof at the start and there is another one!
I guess I'll have to pay a lot of attention to the details, so far it's a positive experience.

Platy

I am sad that CEMU runs better than Citra =/

I already played my wiiu games on a tv ... I want to replay my 3ds games that way too dammit !

xezuru

Finished Metro 2033, it's alright, the setting had a lot of promise but I feel like the overarching problem of this game is that everything comes in feeling under budget, and I was kind expecting the level of "older design" as around HL2.

Shooting is pretty silly with janky hitboxes flippant recoil and some meatspongeness. I don't know if sprint was in non-redux but it kinda broke the game, can run through traps without any repercussions and outrun and bait enemies easily. Multiple instances in the game where things are "soft scripted" events and monsters would disappear or spawn literally right in front of my eyes and on the latter case insta kill me rofl. Honestly this stuff isn't super bad and you kind of get over it by the sheer tiny fact that gun customization makes your shit look really cool, just wish there was more inventory and depth to that.

Honestly though, the most disappointing thing was how the story and setting came about. I wanted to get absorbed in the world and really feel it's personality, most of the surface levels just kind of feel like buildings to be buildings with the more focused "objective based" areas like camps you stealth through or a place to defend and scout are kind of riddled with literal big direction arrows to say STEALTH AND SHIT IS HERE, literally on almost every corner, it's kind of insulting. Following the budget comment, I was most disappointed with the Metros themselves, both the title of the game and the names and reverence to the metro stations themselves make it seem like these unique bastions of humanity and I really wanted to dig deep and feel the atmosphere of each one. Unique ones such as,
Armory Station, the place who MAKES all the guns in the apocalypse and creates the economy around everything.
or
The Ranger Station, that featured the gigantic train depot as a reveal
. You go to every station, Artyom never having left his own before, and he comments in each loading screen the history, but unfortunately, in reality you have like 4-5 corridors at most to look through, maybe one npc to give you one line, and then you leave the station and even with exploration feeling like 5 minutes of soaking. Overall it's definitely not a bad game, but it was pretty disappointing to me, and the ending really didn't help, they kind of pushed the foreshadowing a little too hard with the visions or it could actually just be due to translation since dialog felt a little on the nose, but I enjoyed it alright enough. I hope the sequel has some interesting improvements to the game.

7/10.

liezryou

I am sad that CEMU runs better than Citra =/

I already played my wiiu games on a tv ... I want to replay my 3ds games that way too dammit !

Copy pasting this from another site but this is pretty much the reason why citra development is way slower then CEMU. That being said, i can't wait for the day i can play my 3ds games at full hd on huge screens. I have so many games that i bought but barely touched because of just how inconvenient it is to play on a 3ds (Hi codename steam) rather then on my computer or a TV.

Unfortunately i don't have a WiiU but i am definitely debating on whether to just buy the BOTW game just so i can play it on CEMU (I'm not sure if that's legal, will have to look into it).

There are two different approaches to emulation, one's working on a game-by-game basis, which is much less accurate, but faster and depends on a lot of game specific hacks. CEMU is pretty much a hackfest.

The other approach is a more accurate one that aims to achieve universal game compatibility. It focuses on emulating the system properly, not just running games. Therefore it's slower. That's Citra.

tl;dr CEMU is like ZSNES for WiiU and Citra is kinda like Higan for 3DS.

Oreoleo

Metro 2033 stuff.

Sounds like you will enjoy the sequel a bit more. If you were expecting something more like HL2, Last Light will be right up your alley. I think there's a lot of comparisons to be made between the Metro franchise and Half-Life and how the formula evolved between the first and second games. In both cases the first game is more grounded and personal and the sequel blows it open with more characters and narration and more bombastic action and set pieces. I prefer 2033 personally but there's little denying Last Light is an objectively better and more well-realized game.

Platy

Copy pasting this from another site but this is pretty much the reason why citra development is way slower then CEMU. That being said, i can't wait for the day i can play my 3ds games at full hd on huge screens. I have so many games that i bought but barely touched because of just how inconvenient it is to play on a 3ds (Hi codename steam) rather then on my computer or a TV.

Unfortunately i don't have a WiiU but i am definitely debating on whether to just buy the BOTW game just so i can play it on CEMU (I'm not sure if that's legal, will have to look into it).

I don't even want the games to be full hd or 4k ... I just want random 3D Land playable without slowdown or graphical glitches on regular resolution =/

It work that way because nobody would want to emulate "family party 30 great games obstacle arcade" on CEMU and the actual amount of games people want to emulate on cemu is pretty small .... but the 3ds must play library is huge.

MUnited83

For you.

Worth noting that CEMU being a "hackfest" is not something that has been actually proven, rather just conjecture.

Fans of Salt & Sanctuary have another two James Silva games to look forward to...Pretty Dang Soon to be precise:

While I was eventually able to withstand my repulsion over Binding of Isaac's aesthetic to get to the delectable nutty center of its poop exterior, I've never been able to get around how ugly these games are.

Vibranium

Banned
Finished Metro 2033, it's alright, the setting had a lot of promise but I feel like the overarching problem of this game is that everything comes in feeling under budget, and I was kind expecting the level of "older design" as around HL2.

Shooting is pretty silly with janky hitboxes flippant recoil and some meatspongeness. I don't know if sprint was in non-redux but it kinda broke the game, can run through traps without any repercussions and outrun and bait enemies easily. Multiple instances in the game where things are "soft scripted" events and monsters would disappear or spawn literally right in front of my eyes and on the latter case insta kill me rofl. Honestly this stuff isn't super bad and you kind of get over it by the sheer tiny fact that gun customization makes your shit look really cool, just wish there was more inventory and depth to that.

Honestly though, the most disappointing thing was how the story and setting came about. I wanted to get absorbed in the world and really feel it's personality, most of the surface levels just kind of feel like buildings to be buildings with the more focused "objective based" areas like camps you stealth through or a place to defend and scout are kind of riddled with literal big direction arrows to say STEALTH AND SHIT IS HERE, literally on almost every corner, it's kind of insulting. Following the budget comment, I was most disappointed with the Metros themselves, both the title of the game and the names and reverence to the metro stations themselves make it seem like these unique bastions of humanity and I really wanted to dig deep and feel the atmosphere of each one. Unique ones such as,
Armory Station, the place who MAKES all the guns in the apocalypse and creates the economy around everything.
or
The Ranger Station, that featured the gigantic train depot as a reveal
. You go to every station, Artyom never having left his own before, and he comments in each loading screen the history, but unfortunately, in reality you have like 4-5 corridors at most to look through, maybe one npc to give you one line, and then you leave the station and even with exploration feeling like 5 minutes of soaking. Overall it's definitely not a bad game, but it was pretty disappointing to me, and the ending really didn't help, they kind of pushed the foreshadowing a little too hard with the visions or it could actually just be due to translation since dialog felt a little on the nose, but I enjoyed it alright enough. I hope the sequel has some interesting improvements to the game.

7/10.

Last Light is defintely an improvement in a lot of ways, similar in others, and has some cool setpieces. The story unfortunately is hampered by them sticking with a mute MC so you get characters throwing interesting dialogue with no response.

I really wish Artyom wasn't a silent protagonist outside of the loading screens, he speaks in the books and it's much easier to sympathise with him as a reader. The rumored next Metro game hopefully will give him a voice in-game, it would benefit from it a lot. Also, I hope they subtitle ambient NPC dialogue in English when playing the game in Russian next time, I hate having to miss out on things like that by wanting a game in the native language.

gabbo

Fans of Salt & Sanctuary have another two James Silva games to look forward to...Pretty Dang Soon to be precise:

There's a name ive not seen in a while

Last Light is defintely an improvement in a lot of ways, similar in others, and has some cool setpieces. The story unfortunately is hampered by them sticking with a mute MC so you get characters throwing interesting dialogue with no response.

I really wish Artyom wasn't a silent protagonist outside of the loading screens, he speaks in the books and it's much easier to sympathise with him as a reader. The rumored next Metro game hopefully will give him a voice in-game, it would benefit from it a lot.

If theyd stuck closer to the book he'd have been a more sympathetic character as well.

I got an email from Steam informing me that Ashes of Ariandel (Dark Souls 3 DLC) is on sale, so I just checked the Steam store and it's normal price...

???

xezuru

Which ending did yea get?
I got the "bad" ending, looked up the other. I definitely knew it was possible to
make peace of some sort with the Black ones
, as the foreshadowing and dialog made it pretty direct to me but despite doing an "okay" job of stealthing through the game and an "okay" job of exploring I guess arbitrarily points systems makes me a bad guy, which is silly but whatever. I even
straight up walked into the black ones in every vision i can remember
in the game. I just wish there was more moral interaction/involvement with them themselves
such as killing way less monsters or the black ones interactions as full route to almost feel like desertion to humans
rather then this points crap. It's alright though, like I said I kind of just chalk it up to budget, and it's definitely not a bad sequence itself, the alien mind world imagery and pretty much all supernatural stuff in the game is cool.
Sounds like you will enjoy the sequel a bit more. If you were expecting something more like HL2, Last Light will be right up your alley. I think there's a lot of comparisons to be made between the Metro franchise and Half-Life and how the formula evolved between the first and second games. In both cases the first game is more grounded and personal and the sequel blows it open with more characters and narration and more bombastic action and set pieces. I prefer 2033 personally but there's little denying Last Light is an objectively better and more well-realized game.

I really wish Artyom wasn't a silent protagonist outside of the loading screens, he speaks in the books and it's much easier to sympathise with him as a reader. The rumored next Metro game hopefully will give him a voice in-game, it would benefit from it a lot. Also, I hope they subtitle ambient NPC dialogue in English when playing the game in Russian next time, I hate having to miss out on things like that by wanting a game in the native language.
I hope I love the second game, while personally think I prefer personal games, I think 2033 unfortunately didn't give me any time to soak in, characters and metro stations, came and went like vending machine snacks. Those and the ending in structure and design just came up short to what I wanted of involving yourself in them, so hey may be set piece design is the best way to squeeze out content for people like me.

That said, is there anything I should know starting up Metro Last Light? Stuff like difficulties, stealth-ability, items, I have no idea just riffing.

Vibranium

Banned
^ In Last Light Redux, there is Survival or Spartan modes. The former has less ammo and harder stealth like 2033 while the latter is more action-oriented with enemies easier to stealth kill/knock-out/sneak through.

If theyd stuck closer to the book he'd have been a more sympathetic as well.

Yeah, the book was superior. Though to fair Artyom only killed one human guy in the book so it made the ending more impactful. It wouldn't make for an exciting game though!

DasFool

Finished Metro 2033.

You played the Redux version, correct? There are a few improvements in area and weapon design, but it has the same gameplay, overall. The difference would be more stark if you went from the absolute jank of 2033 to the refinement in Last Light. LL is just a more focused version of what you just played, if that makes sense.

Last Light's narrative centralizes more on Arytom and his relationship with other characters, rather than the cold isolation of 2033. It's a shame that most of the oppressive atmosphere in the original didn't make it into LL, since that was easily the strongest part of the game.

That said, is there anything I should know starting up Metro Last Light? Stuff like difficulties, stealth-ability, items, I have no idea just riffing.

Last Light is easier than 2033 by a mile. There's a lot more stealth and the ratio of human-to-monster enemies is significantly increased. I'd go with the same settings you had for 2033.

Oreoleo

Stealth breaks the game by making everything too easy. In 2033 stealth was broken* in the sense that it almost literally didn't work at all ever, LL swings the pendulum WAY too far in the opposite direction and turns stealth into baby mode.

Ranger mode is great in LL, but it makes it almost impossible to identify what sub-weapon/throwable you have equipped (throwing knives, molotovs, frag grenade etc) in the heat of the moment, so maybe don't do that one the first time through. In general, the difficulty in LL is much more even than 2033* so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

*Might not apply to Redux versions.

Sarcasm

Stealth breaks the game by making everything too easy. In 2033 stealth was broken* in the sense that it almost literally didn't work at all ever, LL swings the pendulum WAY too far in the opposite direction and turns stealth into baby mode.

Ranger mode is great in LL, but it makes it almost impossible to identify what sub-weapon/throwable you have equipped (throwing knives, molotovs, frag grenade etc) in the heat of the moment, so maybe don't do that one the first time through. In general, the difficulty in LL is much more even than 2033* so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

*Might not apply to Redux versions.

Can you use the journal trick to see which is where (out of combat of course)?

Oreoleo

Can you use the journal trick to see which is where (out of combat of course)?

I'm not sure what 'the journal trick' is but I played LL twice in ranger mode and both times had to rely on the sound effects when you switch between throwables to discern which was equipped, so if there's some way to see it discretely it's completely lost on me.

Edit: If this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=312598129 is what you're talking about. Can't say I ever noticed the selection highlight on the objective journal view, if I really overlooked that for two complete playthroughs of the game I'll feel like a huge dummy.

Rizzi

Oh, so the previous games that guy made are hideous as well. Salt and Sanctuary was absolutely horrible looking.

Sarcasm

I'm not sure what 'the journal trick' is but I played LL twice in ranger mode and both times had to rely on the sound effects when you switch between throwables to discern which was equipped, so if there's some way to see it discretely it's completely lost on me.

I haven't played LL yet. I played the OG Metro 2033 and then the redux with LL features. Ranger hardcore.

If you hold your journal up to see it clearer you see how many ammo and which consumables are where.

Oreoleo

I haven't played LL yet. I played the OG Metro 2033 and then the redux with LL features. Ranger hardcore.

If you hold your journal up to see it clearer you see how many ammo and which consumables are where.

Yuuup, check my edit on my last post. I must have never noticed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if the upcoming GOTY edition will be the same price as this. They're basically the same, right?

Also, has there any info yet if DDE will be automatically 'upgraded' to GOTY edition?

Yeah, they're one and the same. The DDE will probably just get a price drop and name change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom