• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357196.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-B6460745EA46C0EE - Taken by lazerfox

Is there any way to force Steam to download game files regardless of operating system? I can't download DoW3 beta files on my netbook to transfer files on my main PC after i wake up because my netbook have 32-bit Win10. SteamCMD doesn't work since i'm using 2FA, and i'm going to burn Valve's HQ to the ground because this fucking bullshit and I'm never been so pissed for years.

NeoRaider

They can't be serious with NieR: Automata side-quests. They can be so annoying and so frustrating. Ruining the game for me.

Lomax

I could be wrong, but as I recall isthereanydeal used to list all the "shady" sites but jshackles didn't like those sites coming up in enhanced steam and he got them to remove them.

Personally I avoid the questionable sites for the most part but I think everyone has to make ethical judgements for themselves. I only recently bought my first games from cdkeys, both were Lego games that the deal was too good for me to pass up. For the most part I'll just wait for a legit bundle or big discount.

Corpekata

Banned
I could be wrong, but as I recall isthereanydeal used to list all the "shady" sites but jshackles didn't like those sites coming up in enhanced steam and he got them to remove them.

I don't think you recall correctly.

They've had issues with a site or two in the past, usually new ones that pop up and then need to be removed, or ones that created weird issues like constant spam, but isthereanydeal has pretty consinstenly only featured partnered retailers.

Jawmuncher

They can't be serious with NieR: Automata side-quests. They can be so annoying and so frustrating. Ruining the game for me.

I enjoyed the game a lot more when had more linear. The back and forth even with the fast travel is definitely one of it's weakest aspects.

Okay, more details about how fucked up this situation. My internet is shitty, i need almost 6 hours to download DoW3 files. Yesterday i managed to download almost 80% of those files but i stopped download and goes to sleep. Few hours ago, when i came back to home, Steam suddenly started to download ALL files again and required 20gb more for download. verifying files, moving folders, nothing worked. Since I'm absolutely exhausted, my hands and my back hurts, and i despirately wanted to sleep, i decided to use my old win10 tablet to download files while nobody is using internet. But when i launched Steam on my tablet, install button suddenly disappeared - i tried to activate my beta key again and only after that Steam said that "your system is not supported, go fuck yourself". I never bothered to install 64-bit OS on my tablet because it was never a problem, and obviously i can't magically change it to 64 bit without reinstalling whole system. Since i can't create reserve copies of games that i didn't installed already (what kind of bullshit s this?) I spent half-hour on looking for solution to force steam to download fucking files, but only solution i found was SteamCMD and it didn't worked because i have 2FA enabled and can't login and force download. While i was doing all this, i experienced again how absolutely atrocious Steam client on touchscreen, and now i'm pissed and tired because of this goddamn bullshit. It's fucking ridiculous, i should be able to download files of my activated licenses and products REGARDLESS of system requirements - or even better, i should be able to choose for what OS version i can download files (while searching i found that Linux and Mac users can't download windows only games either, great fucking job Valve). I'm too tired to look for other solutions now, but fuck Valve for this, "consumers choice" my ass.

NeoRaider

I enjoyed the game a lot more when had more linear. The back and forth even with the fast travel is definitely one of it's weakest aspects.

One of the reason why i hate 90% of today's open-world games with a passion. I am trying to figure out why is this game open-world at all?? Game just doesn't benefit from it at all. I guess they wanted to make it longer and add more content but my god... i am getting so tired of these open-world games that are just not supposed to be open-world.

Don't get me wrong, i really like the game. Gameplay can be so much fun (but little repetitive), story seems interesting, music is amazing. But all these pointless side-quests and going back and forth all the time, running around... i guess i will just ignore them.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I just did the tutorial for The Black Watchmen and it was a lot of fun, but I feel like one hard puzzle will ruin this game for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My thoughts on Black Mesa:

Valve shouldn't let them charge for this mediocre mod. It still looks dated 99% of the time and there is like zero optimization. Surface Tension, one of my all-time favorite videogame levels, was was totally unfun. They have no original ideas. To improve/modernize the puzzles they just took puzzles from the HL2 games and shoved them in here. A lot of the coding is super unfair to the player too. The fights with the helicopter demonstrate this best- it's incredibly easy to take a lot of damage due to the laser accuracy and absurd firing rate and it flies around at a speed that clearly doesn't jive with the RPG laser tracking at all. The helicopter fights were fun in the original. Here it's just a frustrating quicksave fest. The combat is a total shit show in general. They made some truly awful changes. The worst is the SMG. They decreased the clip size from 50 to 30, ammo storage from 250 to 150 and unless I was imagining things it shares it's ammo pool with the pistol. If their logic was that an MP5 and the pistol in the game both fire 9mm rounds.... well it's fucking stupid because Gordon isn't moving that ammo between two different clips depending on the gun that ammo pool is being decreased by and it's a fucking videogame. I think the only weapon that got buffed instead of nerfed was the hivehand. The enemies still take comparable damage (or in some cases higher?) to the original and the weapons changes mess with the gameplay loop in truly awful ways.

I can't wait to see how they think they are going to improve Xen.

sYefeBU.gif

Oscar

So is CDKeys SteamGAF approved now grey or not? I feel like there used to be an answer about this in the FAQ previously, but maybe I am not searching for the right words.

People have said Greenman is moving more into grey areas lately.

I've never had an issue with CD Keys from the few times I've shopped there.

I got Mass Effect Andromeda there at launch for like $40, instantly received the code.

I also bought Skyrim Legendary Edition and Civ VI from that site in the past.

Nzyme32

Really annoyed at the moment. Not had any time to play, and now that I finally do have some time - I can't work out what to play. I had a ton of ideas for the past few weeks, but every time I actually get the free time, nothing is good enough. Stupid brain

My thoughts on Black Mesa:

sYefeBU.gif

It's okay. Just play Goldeneye Source and feel better

Lomax

I don't think you recall correctly.

They've had issues with a site or two in the past, usually new ones that pop up and then need to be removed, or ones that created weird issues like constant spam, but isthereanydeal has pretty consinstenly only featured partnered retailers.

I feel like jshackles encouraged them to remove at least one site, I think it was cdkeys, but it's been a while now so I don't remember exactly. I do remember them having several sites in the past I would remove from the filter and I'm pretty positive one of them was g2a. But at this point I'm probably thinking of 3-4 years ago or even more. That said, I also find using a VPN to get regional prices sketchy, so opinions vary of course.

Nzyme32

Are there any mods for the original Deus Ex that just spruce up the visuals and leaves everything else untouched?

If you want to be super close to Vanilla but with more of a HD look to it, this guide can walk you through it. I quite enjoyed that one (but for whatever reason, one of the characters, Gunther, is modified and looks too different; can probably disable that or skip it).

Other than that, GMDX is meant to be pretty good, but does alter quite a lot as well as adding a lot of systems. Not tried it - but I would warn that they have added and changed enough that it is quite a different game - like cover animations, new ai, new game mechanics etc.

Deus Ex Revision is terrible imo. Don't bother. Horrible level design changes and little of value
--

I'd highly recommend the first option. Played it again about a year ago (and seemingly every other year since launch). Still one of my favourite games of all time

Tonton

So I just now realized I bought the Deluxe edition of Black Flag so I should have Freedom Cry, so I started that
It's assassin's creed so far but i don't like how my pistol option is only a blunderbuss i loved having 4 pistols in the main game :(
Also that I had to liberate some slaves before going with the main quest i hope i won't always have to do that?

Bruv

SMG and Pistol shared ammo pools in the original game.
Yeah I remember that it was the best

shockdude

Okay, more details about how fucked up this situation. My internet is shitty, i need almost 6 hours to download DoW3 files. Yesterday i managed to download almost 80% of those files but i stopped download and goes to sleep. Few hours ago, when i came back to home, Steam suddenly started to download ALL files again and required 20gb more for download. verifying files, moving folders, nothing worked. Since I'm absolutely exhausted, my hands and my back hurts, and i despirately wanted to sleep, i decided to use my old win10 tablet to download files while nobody is using internet. But when i launched Steam on my tablet, install button suddenly disappeared - i tried to activate my beta key again and only after that Steam said that "your system is not supported, go fuck yourself". I never bothered to install 64-bit OS on my tablet because it was never a problem, and obviously i can't magically change it to 64 bit without reinstalling whole system. Since i can't create reserve copies of games that i didn't installed already (what kind of bullshit s this?) I spent half-hour on looking for solution to force steam to download fucking files, but only solution i found was SteamCMD and it didn't worked because i have 2FA enabled and can't login and force download. While i was doing all this, i experienced again how absolutely atrocious Steam client on touchscreen, and now i'm pissed and tired because of this goddamn bullshit. It's fucking ridiculous, i should be able to download files of my activated licenses and products REGARDLESS of system requirements - or even better, i should be able to choose for what OS version i can download files (while searching i found that Linux and Mac users can't download windows only games either, great fucking job Valve). I'm too tired to look for other solutions now, but fuck Valve for this, "consumers choice" my ass.
Trying to understand your scenario here. It sounds like you were trying to download the DoW3 beta on your main PC, but the download messed up. But instead of restarting the download on your main PC, you're trying to download it on your netbook? Why can't you restart the download on the main PC?

Downloading arbitrary files from Steam isn't something that's supported by Valve, or any PC storefront for that matter - but you knew that already.

Nzyme32

Trying to understand your scenario here. It sounds like you were trying to download the DoW3 beta on your main PC, but the download messed up. But instead of restarting the download on your main PC, you're trying to download it on your netbook? Why can't you restart the download on the main PC?

Downloading arbitrary files from Steam isn't something that's supported by Valve, or any PC storefront for that matter - but you knew that already.

Not sure if this is the same thing - but it is perfectly fine to download all your files on one computer and just dump them onto another in the correct folder, so long as there is no DRM solution for the game that conflicts with that. Steam's CEG is all cool with this. You can do that, and Steam will need to change a few files for the different system, but usually just a few minor thing and the executable (if this is concerning different users). Used to do this for a bunch of LAN "parties" / drunk friends playing on a variety of PC set ups in a lounge with too many screens

shockdude

Not sure if this is the same thing - but it is perfectly fine to download all your files on one computer and just dump them onto another in the correct folder, so long as there is no DRM solution for the game that conflicts with that. Steam's CEG is all cool with this. You can do that, and Steam will need to change a few files for the different system, but usually just a few minor thing and the executable (if this is concerning different users). Used to do this for a bunch of LAN "parties" / drunk friends playing on a variety of PC set ups in a lounge with too many screens
The scenario you described is fine, but only if the PC doing the downloading is "supported." His problem is that he can't download the DoW3 Beta on his netbook because Steam won't let him download 64-bit games on a 32-bit machine. But if that's the case why can't he download the game on his main machine? Why did he stop the download in the first place?
Bad internet doesn't have to mean manually stopping downloads; if bandwidth is an issue he can throttle the download speed in Steam settings and let everything download overnight and while he's at work.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Ok , I was super busy today and just turned on my PC...

did I dream that Trails the 3rd is coming in three weeks and that Cold Steel 1+2 are coming to PC?????

*feels like in heaven*

Ozium

what do you do in kingdoms new lands? it looks interesting but not sure how the gameplay works...

might pick it up from bst, shame it's not been modbotted

Ganado

Hi, is there a simple way to reconfigure the Xbox One controller at the OS level?
I would like to swap two of the buttons (LS3 to Screen/Select button), but I couldn't find the right software.

Not on a OS level I think, but you should be able to reconfigure it in Steam Big Picture. I think it only works with games through Steam though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Where can I see what date I added a game to my library? Do I have to uninstall it to see that?

There might be an easier method, but what I do is on the Steam Desktop (website) version of Steam, I go to account details, I click on "Licenses and product key activations", and then control+f whatever game I'm looking for.

Will show you the date of when anything was added to your account.

Ninja'd like a sonofabitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom