• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

and Yooka Laylee is better than Dino Crisis 1 and 2

tumblr_nhqq6qMvk51s5u24po1_500.gif

Lanrutcon

Another good example of this is Alpha Protocol. It's widely considered a flawed game, but I never really perceived it as such, and was honestly wondering what people were even talking about when I was done with it.

It is a flawed (and buggy!) game, but I still finished it like, 4 times because the dialogue/story system is (still) years ahead of anything anyone has done in that space.

It still comes to mind every time some PR piece talks about branching dialogue in their newest title.

gurm3n

Neo Member
First, the 1080 Ti that I imported from Newegg sat unloved at DHL for three-and-a-half days.

Then it arrived at the very last day of the 4-7 business day window. Hey, cool!

Then the card died 36 hours later.

Then I noticed that Newegg's international warranty policy doesn't apply to 1080 Tis because magical beanstalk reasons.

Then I figured I'd dig into my savings to buy a non-ref card and sell my warranty replacement at cost (EVGA has international warranty and it's tied to the card itself rather than the puchaser).

Except now Newegg is charging $1,001 for the only non-ref EVGA card it ships to Australia, which means import tax as AUD$1,001 is more than AUD$1,000.

I've joked in the past about how I have shitty luck, but this is utterly ridiculous.

Shiiit! I'd be so damn mad... Good luck with that!

Whenever I want to have my mind blown I just have to click that RE4 texture mod thread.
God fucking damn.
I usually don't care for texture mods, especially for older games as they end up just clashing spectacularly with the level of geometry present, but my goodness they're really going above and beyond with that one. First texture mod I've been actively looking forward to and excited for. The comparisons that show them finding the actual references used for the original textures to provide a higher resolution version are just amazing.

Nzyme32

First, the 1080 Ti that I imported from Newegg sat unloved at DHL for three-and-a-half days.

Then I noticed that Newegg's international warranty policy doesn't apply to 1080 Tis because magical beanstalk reasons.

Then I figured I'd dig into my savings to buy a non-ref card and sell my warranty replacement at cost (EVGA has international warranty and it's tied to the card itself rather than the puchaser).

Except now Newegg is charging $1,001 for the only non-ref EVGA card it ships to Australia, which means import tax as AUD$1,001 is more than AUD$1,000.

I've joked in the past about how I have shitty luck, but this is utterly ridiculous.

You need backwards luck. That's what I had a long time ago with a 9800 GTX+ I got on ebay.

Severe issues with the newly built PC where games would crash on a driver reset of the video card after a minute of anything intensive. Tested the card on a different computer and it seemed fine (though I didn't try anything intensive enough which was the issue).

RMAed lots of different components to try and work it out, RAM, then MOBO, then PSU. Eventually tested a friends card and found it was the graphics card / slot and some sort of dirt.. after all this time but managed to ebay it anyway and get a fresh mobo.

Went through a company called CCL to get the brand new GTX 260, but there was some problem with their system from when I RMAed the MOBO.

GTX 260 should have cost £230, but they ended up refunding me twice for the graphics card, as well as the ram / mobo....

Total profit after all that £420

Never shopped there again in case they caught on...

That's awful :(

Started Mass Effect 2 and imported my ME1 save. Is it okay for me to uninstall ME1 now?

It is.

Don't expect much though, it barely matters.

I usually don't care for texture mods, especially for older games as they end up just clashing spectacularly with the level of geometry present, but my goodness they're really going above and beyond with that one. First texture mod I've been actively looking forward to and excited for. The comparisons that show them finding the actual references used for the original textures to provide a higher resolution version are just amazing.

Yeah, it's amazing.

The logical fallacy you quoted there is better suited for arguments where a person sees a cause and an action as being linked when there, at least seemingly, is little reason beyond happenstance.

The classic example of that is "Ice cream causes drowning. If you look at these charts, you'll see that when the consumption of ice cream rises, so do the number of deaths by drowning." The fallacy there is that ice cream is more likely to be consumed during the months when people are more likely to go swimming.

A better fallacy here is:

98z81cq.png

But, I'd argue that it's unfair to selectively use this against just Ozium as this can equally apply to people who positively use Jim Sterling as a guide for their own opinions and tastes.

what's this??

illusionary

Im having a hard deciding wherever to go for Horizon, Zelda or Nier. :( I like to focus on 1 game at the time, but all of them are catching my interest hard. Guess I don't need to buy a new game in a while and I also got addicted to Six Siege, Gungeon and Isaac again.

While I've not yet bought it myself (I'll get to it eventually!), I gather that NieR is a game that you're more likely to 'complete' in a much shorter time than either Horizon or Zelda - both of which will, indeed, keep you busy for a good long while.

Anteater

You can talk about the flaws you perceive in Nier 1, or Automata, or hell even Planescape: Torment all you want, that's perfectly fine.

But what also needs to be clear is that the things some might perceive as severe flaws can well be in the "I really don't give half a shit about this" territory for others. And in some cases they might even be the very things that make those games so appreciated by some.

Another good example of this is Alpha Protocol. It's widely considered a flawed game, but I never really perceived it as such, and was honestly wondering what people were even talking about when I was done with it.

I get it, but duders in the thread is bringing it to the extreme where it's the best shit ever or there are people defending with their lives

you can safely not play drakengard for sure, not necessary for nier and it's kind of a pain in the butt

start with nier, play drakengard if u really want the more unhinged yoko taro

yeah just wait then

nier's not going anywhere

do play it before nier 2 since there's references in that one and also nier 1 is so much better lol

I wanna play it but it's so bad, it's like Dynasty warriors but worse

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JFC :0

Sorry to hear that JaseC godfucking damn
Shiiit! I'd be so damn mad... Good luck with that!
That's awful :(

Fortunately, the card still displays a signal, so I can use the basic Windows driver. Any attempt to address the VRAM, though, results in crashes, so all graphics rendering is via the CPU, which greatly limits my options. I think I'll revisit the original Age of Empires -- surely that should run well enough.

Oh, and speaking of AoE, the fact that Age of Mythology Remastered followed AoE 2 Remastered made it clear that too many of AoE's source assets were lost to time for a remaster to be viable, but there is a fan-made "HD patch".

You need backwards luck. That's what I had a long time ago with a 9800 GTX+ I got on ebay.

Severe issues with the newly built PC where games would crash on a driver reset of the video card after a minute of anything intensive. Tested the card on a different computer and it seemed fine (though I didn't try anything intensive enough which was the issue).

RMAed lots of different components to try and work it out, RAM, then MOBO, then PSU. Eventually tested a friends card and found it was the graphics card / slot and some sort of dirt.. after all this time but managed to ebay it anyway and get a fresh mobo.

Went through a company called CCL to get the brand new GTX 260, but there was some problem with their system from when I RMAed the MOBO.

GTX 260 should have cost £230, but they ended up refunding me twice for the graphics card, as well as the ram / mobo....

Total profit after all that £420

Never shopped there again in case they caught on...

Haha, I can't help but fear that good luck would just result in even worse luck down the road. This is actually the first time I've had to fiddle with a warranty policy. I upgraded in 2007 and the 2900XT that I bought kicked the bucket in 2010/2011, but I replaced it with an HD 5750 as all I was playing at the time was CS:S and didn't see the point in higher performance.

MadGear

I finished Specter of Torment today and played a bit of New Game+ (which adds an interesting resource mechanic to the game). I really really enjoyed this game but I feel like they didn't balance or design the Curios that well. The Judgement Rush and Hover Plume allow you to easily cut certain parts of the game while the Chronos Coin and Skeletal Sentry break certain boss fights (I dropped one Sentry against the Treasure Knight and obliterated him). At first I thought they were trying to design them like Mega Man weapons in that they are counters to specific knights but it really doesn't feel that way at all. Oh well, I'm nitpicking again.

I finished Specter of Torment today and played a bit of New Game+ (which adds an interesting resource mechanic to the game). I really really enjoyed this game but I feel like they didn't balance or design the Curios that well. The Judgement Rush and Hover Plume allow you to easily cut certain parts of the game while the Chronos Coin and Skeletal Sentry break certain boss fights (I dropped one Sentry against the Treasure Knight and obliterated him). At first I thought they were trying to design them like Mega Man weapons in that they are counters to specific knights but it really doesn't feel that way at all. Oh well, I'm nitpicking again.

Yeah, the Curios are crazy OP. Their equivalents in the original SK weren't balanced either.

I want to try a run without curios on a harder difficulty mode soon.

Grief.exe

Is there a problem with going through EVGA then?

jediyoshi

Weird tested them just now and they run for me. Might be buggy on some systems I guess.

I just did a run through of a bunch, anything using OpenGL/Vulkan crashed, any iteration of DirectX works. Not sure if its these latest Nvidia drivers. Not using any game mode/game bar functionality.

Blu(e)

Joining the 1440p 144hz club. Hoping that jumping to 144hz from 60hz is as amazing as everyone says it does. Comes with G Sync as well so that's pretty nifty.

Anno

Joining the 1440p 144hz club. Hoping that jumping to 144hz from 60hz is as amazing as everyone says it does. Comes with G Sync as well so that's pretty nifty.

What monitor? I've been thinking about getting something with the same setup.

shockdude

I just did a run through of a bunch, anything using OpenGL/Vulkan crashed, any iteration of DirectX works. Not sure if its these latest Nvidia drivers. Not using any game mode/game bar functionality.
Have you tried launching a Steam game that uses OpenGL/Vulkan? Worms Revolution or DOOM, for example.
I'm on Nvidia driver 378.66 with the Creator's Update and I haven't noticed any issues.

Also I find it funny that the Game Bar shows up in Dolphin's game selection interface.
Heck you can launch the Game Bar in pretty much any windowed application. Win+G, and bam you can screen-record Firefox.

Ooof

I hope you can get that card fixed.

Just bought Stellaris and it's new expansion, just waiting for my payment being approved by Nuuvem. I hope to sink so much time on this game.

If Dino Crisis really did get another game, I would laugh really hard and then get real hyped for Jawmuncher's "So apparently the new Dino Crisis game has gotten some fan art following."

r3n4ud

If Dino Crisis really did get another game, I would laugh really hard and then get real hyped for Jawmuncher's "So apparently the new Dino Crisis game has gotten some fan art following."
I hope Dino Crisis comes back ...

As a ftp turn-based mobile game. For Android.

Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher, you buster

Turok 2 is a perfectly fine game

U r a wanker

Just haven't gotten around to playing the new port yet.

It'll happen. Soon...

I hope Dino Crisis comes back ...

As a ftp turn-based mobile game. For Android.

Everyone just wants me to suffer like Kaz in MGSV

next dino crisis will use re6's combat system and will be released on ps4 and pc

my uncle at nintendo told me about it

These is the posts I need more of

Vibranium

Banned
Dino Crisis will come back as soon as Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 and 2 are officially localized for the west and the Ace Attorney Trilogy comes to PC.

And also when Brothers in Arms 4 is released.

jediyoshi

Have you tried launching a Steam game that uses OpenGL/Vulkan? Worms Revolution or DOOM, for example.
I'm on Nvidia driver 378.66 with the Creator's Update and I haven't noticed any issues.

No OpenGL games to test, but OpenGL programs are definitely crashing. Might try reverting drivers, I'm on 381.65

edit: 378.66 has fixed it

Just bought Stellaris and it's new expansion, just waiting for my payment being approved by Nuuvem. I hope to sink so much time on this game.

You will. The Utopia expansion has been a great addition on top of the already great foundation of Stellaris.

I've been dabbling with Hive Minds, which turn the faction and happiness systems on their head, and it's been a blast to just grow this gigantic empire sort of like an old-fashioned 4X. (Diplomacy isn't really an option right now because of all the xenophobic, warlike civilizations I have as neighbours.) Hive Minds have a kind of species-level unification unique to them.

There's absolutely nothing else like it. It's the sci-fi game for everyone; if you can think of a sci-fi race, there's a good chance Stellaris can make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom