• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

I see your point, and I admit I was balancing between the two fallacies.

However, I kind of disagree in the end:
  • "genetic" would apply to works done by Jim ("all reviews written by Jim are bad, because they are Jim's work"),
  • while "false cause" fallacy is all about assuming correlation is causation, for instance claiming a game is to be avoided because Jim likes it ("if Jim likes a game, then it is crap").
Since Jim was not involved in the creation of Sexy Brutale, I think the "genetic" fallacy seems a bit far-fetched.

Anyway, Ozium, get sexy. 💃

Tizoc

Almost done with berserk musou.
These filler stages are lame, game would've had a good enough length adapting the manga without them =_=

Finally finished Nier: Automata for the first time after 18 hours. I mean, that A ending. Tried to continue and accidentally got ending G. Now i need to do that
robot with bucket scene
again, and i'm not sure if i'll do other endings. Also, i hate 9S. I'm definitely going to completely ignore sidequests though.

Anteater

Ah, that's nice. 👍

This all has gotten me much more curious about Automata and the original Nier, so if they end up remastering it I'm probably in.
They did say that they would consider it if Automata sells well, right?
I actually have it on 360 but never got around playing it, and now I just don't feel like getting the console out for just one game.

Sorry for not knowing something about a game I have never played.
My bad.

Nier 1 is the shit. I hope they remake it, I'm gonna fight it to my death. It does most things Automata did but better.

Almost done with berserk musou.
These filler stages are lame, game would've had a good enough length adapting the manga without them =_=

Yeah, I agree that the filler stages weren't necessary. I had a blast with it though, even went through the Eclipse thing with Guts (up to level 100)

Tizoc

Yeah, I agree that the filler stages weren't necessary. I had a blast with it though, even went through the Eclipse thing with Guts (up to level 100)

All in all it has some good stuff in it. Cutting people up with Guts, all Musou style, was fun.
Also
giphy.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I see your point, and I admit I was balancing between the two fallacies.

However, I kind of disagree in the end:
  • "genetic" would apply to works done by Jim ("all reviews written by Jim are bad, because they are Jim's work"),
  • while "false cause" fallacy is all about assuming correlation is causation, for instance claiming a game is to be avoided because Jim likes it ("if Jim likes a game, then it is crap").

There is little practical difference between those though and it assumes there is no link between Jim Sterling, Jim Sterling's work, and Jim Sterling's general opinions.

Those things are all related and isn't as good a fit as you'd have to make an argument that those are all somehow unrelated things.

Pachimari

Persona 5 has so many QOL of live improvements and so, so, so much superior dungeons that going back to the others will be quite a drag imho
Talking about drag, I keep reading in the OT how P5 have way more hand holding and is more restrictive than both P3 and P4, and not only in the first 5-6 hours, but it dials back on the freedom again somewhere in June or something.

Aaron D.

I don't know, I don't like the one sided conversation between people who played like half of Automata, hate it and people who absolutely love it.

I don't like some portion of Nier Automata and even agree with posters like Zkylon, Chairmainchuck, and Rhaknar who have voiced their opinions on what they don't like about it. But the condescending tone between posters who love/hate the game and the ones who wouldn't even bother to give it a try are silly.

yeah i think it's cool, i don't like some of the things about the game, but i'm alright with talking about them lol, people seem to have no problem shitting on Nier 1 for its flaws, but it feels like 2 is becoming a sacred cow

It's interesting to watch some titles take on a life of their own and become virtually unassailable. I've seen this with other titles like Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Dota 2, etc.

Feels like Nier is folding right into that category.

It's a shame 'cause the game does look pretty neat, but the cultish reverence it seems to be courting feels a bit toxic.

I guess at the end of the day no fan base temperament is going to keep me from enjoying titles I'm interested in, but man does it make it more difficult if you're a fence-sitter.

Shahadan

Talking about drag, I keep reading in the OT how P5 have way more hand holding and is more restrictive than both P3 and P4, and not only in the first 5-6 hours, but it dials back on the freedom again somewhere in June or something.

I keep yelling at my screen because the game won't let me fucking play. The stupid cat and the phone app are the most annoying things I've ever seen.

Wok

Some things are odd.

Hollow Knight
eBhHmyi.png

Nier: Automata
S3iGzSt.png

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
4zXJOJS.png

Night in the Woods
Bt3UXw5.png

Snake Pass
BGHaHPG.png

Yooka Laylee
9Jq8ukm.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its odd that the games you fanboy over are not as good as the games you dont?

Hektor

It's not really handholding, it's more that the game feels to constantly remind you of doing that thing or this thing or that other thing, the freedom is the same as in the others i'd say.

There are definitely phases were the game becomes more linear and less about planning your day but P3 and 4 had those phases as well

Is there any story continuity? I saw a picture that showed Igor from Persona 3 in 5.

5 takes place within the same universe as 3 and 4 so there are some references, for exampe movie posters and such, but that's about it.

Wok

its odd that the games you fanboy over are not as good as the games you dont?

It's odd that games have (significant?) differences between average critic review score and average contributor review score.

It's odd that games have major differences between critic recommandations and contributor recommandations.

It is not due to sample size.

Wok

Are contributors like user review from Metacritic?

From the FAQ: it is not user review, it is from smaller websites but which take their reviewing job seriously.

ztPW1h3.png

2YYiMim.png

Most likely, contributors who do not like a game do not make the effort to fill the form and post their review on OpenCritic. Still weird if this is the case.

@Wok: nothings surprising the more niche genres usualy have quite discrepancy between critics and the rest

It could be as well a bias. Maybe contributors have been selected by the devs because they would be more inclined to like the genre which the game belongs to.

Hektor

Project Phoenix is gonna show all these Amateurs of Eternity, Yooka Failees and System Shock Demakes how kickstarting is done right, you#ve heard it here first

Is this from the game or the anime? :p
No really, I can't tell.

The 2016 Anime. The game is using scenes from the Golden Age Movies

zkylon

zkylewd
This all has gotten me much more curious about Automata and the original Nier, so if they end up remastering it I'm probably in.
They did say that they would consider it if Automata sells well, right?
I actually have it on 360 but never got around playing it, and now I just don't feel like getting the console out for just one game.
if u have a ps3 (maybe ps4?) i think u can get drakengard on the playstation store

it's not a very welcoming game and it's a game that's very much aggressively unfun to play, but i found it really engaging anyway. it's like so fucking mean to you and purposely so mindnumbingly tedious and repetitive that i kind of can't help being fascinated by it

nier 1 is a little more considerate (and nier 2 is a little more as well, tho i wouldn't consider any of these games actually "fun" to play) and has a story that's a lot more accessible and relatable, which imo absolutely nailed the middle ground between the mean hostility of drakengard and something more mainstream like idk a normal rpg lol

the weird ending shit and getting story through weapons and all that plays a role in all of it cos nothing is kind of free in these games, you've gotta do tedious work to get your reward, and more often than not there's a big catch to it

i'd dust off the old 360 for it because nier is really one of my favorite console games of the last generation and who knows when square enix will release it on pc

It's not really handholding, it's more that the game feels to constantly remind you of doing that thing or this thing or that other thing, the freedom is the same as in the others i'd say.

There are definitely phases were the game becomes more linear and less about planning your day but P3 and 4 had those phases as well

5 takes place within the same universe as 3 and 4 so there are some references, for exampe m ovie posters and such, but that#s about it.

Igor would still be in regardless, he's in every Persona game.

if u have a ps3 (maybe ps4?) i think u can get drakengard on the playstation store

it's not a very welcoming game and it's a game that's very much aggressively unfun to play, but i found it really engaging anyway. it's like so fucking mean to you and purposely so mindnumbingly tedious and repetitive that i kind of can't help being fascinated by it

nier 1 is a little more considerate (and nier 2 is a little more as well, tho i wouldn't consider any of these games actually "fun" to play) and has a story that's a lot more accessible and relatable, which imo absolutely nailed the middle ground between the mean hostility of drakengard and something more mainstream like idk a normal rpg lol

the weird ending shit and getting story through weapons and all that plays a role in all of it cos nothing is kind of free in these games, you've gotta do tedious work to get your reward, and more often than not there's a big catch to it

i'd dust off the old 360 for it because nier is really one of my favorite console games of the last generation and who knows when square enix will release it on pc

You don't find Automata fun to play?

Durante

yeah i think it's cool, i don't like some of the things about the game, but i'm alright with talking about them lol, people seem to have no problem shitting on Nier 1 for its flaws, but it feels like 2 is becoming a sacred cow
You can talk about the flaws you perceive in Nier 1, or Automata, or hell even Planescape: Torment all you want, that's perfectly fine.

But what also needs to be clear is that the things some might perceive as severe flaws can well be in the "I really don't give half a shit about this" territory for others. And in some cases they might even be the very things that make those games so appreciated by some.

Another good example of this is Alpha Protocol. It's widely considered a flawed game, but I never really perceived it as such, and was honestly wondering what people were even talking about when I was done with it.

nier 1 is a little more considerate (and nier 2 is a little more as well, tho i wouldn't consider any of these games actually "fun" to play)
Really? I think they are great fun most of the time. (And sad some times)

Especially Automata when it comes to moment-to-moment gameplay.

Anteater

ignore zkylon on drakengard, do Nier

Hektor

Do not buy Drakengard 3 on PS3. Unless you want to be assulated by the bad performance.

Do however buy Drakengard 3 if you are interested in one or more of the following things:

• Dragons pissing
  • Dragons shitting
  • Dragons exploring their sexuality
  • People having sexual fantasies about dragons
  • People having sexual fantasies about animals
  • People having sexual fantasies about black holes in space
  • People having sexual fantasies about getting their balls crushed
  • Girls talking about their period
  • Girls having a period from their eyes
  • Incest
  • (Spoiler) Incest
    with clones
  • Sexual innuendo
  • A story with a legitimately emotional ending
  • More sexual innuendo
  • Singing Dragons
  • FemDom

The framerate just adds to the charm

AHA-Lambda

All endings achieved in Nier now :D

And only have 4 side quests left it seems too, so I may as well try getting them now =/

EDIT: ah, sounds like one of the ones I have left is dependent on RNG of the highest BS =/

Parsnip

I might, depending on how long they take with it, assuming they even make it and announce it sometime in the nier future.
I mean I'm not in a hurry anyway, it's been in my backlog for a while now, I can wait a bit longer just in case there's a PC version coming at some point.

zkylon

zkylewd
You don't find Automata fun to play?
Really? I think they are great fun most of the time. (And sad some times)

Especially Automata when it comes to moment-to-moment gameplay.

fun is a bad word to use (which is why i used quote marks) but yeah, i didn't find the minute to minute gameplay really remarkable

i love dragon's dogma which shares many of what you can argue are issues with the nier games (lots of retreading the same areas over and over for fetch quests, mashy combat), but that game had a sense of exploration and adventure i never really got out of nier 2. most of my playthrough of nier 2 felt like kind of mindlessly droning in a straight line towards the next obejctive marker, while i found myself constantly being tempted to go off the beaten path in dragon's dogma or whatever. it's not the fairest of comparisons but it's the only point of reference i have for a game like this outside of nier 1, which also was kind of very unfun to play

that being said, nier 2 is completely harmless and the stuff around its gameplay are very enjoyable on their own like the music, the atmosphere and world and some of the funky surprises. it took me like 50 hours to get that ending e and i never really felt like quitting out of boredom, and i was always compelled to see it through to the very end despite all of the above. it's like very stylishly and effortlessly boring, but it's boring nonetheless.

reason why i like nier 1 better is because i think it beats nier 2 in all of those areas, on top of having good characters and story which are all kind of different levels of poop in nier 2. like durante said, there's always things that are in people's idgaf territory, and buttery smooth fighting animations are mine i guess

ignore zkylon on drakengard, do Nier
you can safely not play drakengard for sure, not necessary for nier and it's kind of a pain in the butt

start with nier, play drakengard if u really want the more unhinged yoko taro

I might, depending on how long they take with it, assuming they even make it and announce it sometime in the nier future.
I mean I'm not in a hurry anyway, it's been in my backlog for a while now, I can wait a bit longer just in case there's a PC version coming at some point.
yeah just wait then

nier's not going anywhere

do play it before nier 2 since there's references in that one and also nier 1 is so much better lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
First, the 1080 Ti that I imported from Newegg sat unloved at DHL for three-and-a-half days.

Then it arrived at the very last day of the 4-7 business day window. Hey, cool!

Then the card died 36 hours later.

Then I noticed that Newegg's international warranty policy doesn't apply to 1080 Tis because magical beanstalk reasons.

Then I figured I'd dig into my savings to buy a non-ref card and sell my warranty replacement at cost (EVGA has international warranty and it's tied to the card itself rather than the puchaser).

Except now Newegg is charging $1,001 for the only non-ref EVGA card it ships to Australia, which means import tax as AUD$1,001 is more than AUD$1,000.

I've joked in the past about how I have shitty luck, but this is utterly ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom