• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

5AA79BC8113F76AEA0A662C534613B07FFDAD5BE

:3

It says it has local coop but nothing in the trailer or screens show it ...

Here's a personal thought on INSIDE.

I think this deserves to be mentioned more, since there isn't a single game for everyone. Where INSIDE succeeds is it strikes heavily with the audience it's aimed at, though it might not do much for those it's not aimed at. INSIDE is a very easy case to put this in as the game is a very focused experience on certain faucets of game design.

I get what you're saying, but I do enjoy that kind of games as well, if it's creative with a captivating story.
I wanted to like Inside, enjoyed the first section, the excitement and unknown.
But then, it was literally just "press right" until a shitty puzzle setpiece appears, which totally breaks your momentum.
I sighed every time I had to go back and forth or something else stupid just to move forward, that's not creative at all and just a cheap way to lengthen an empty game.

If you want to make a game that focuses on atmosphere and telling a story through gameplay, then please actually do so, don't throw in a lot of shit that doesn't make sense and just makes it a drag to play.

And there I'll end my little rant about Inside :p
I gotta say it is worth playing after all, since it's short anyway and it is a special "game", I just expected a LOT more from it.

zkylon

zkylewd
sFWJEy7.png

ok finished odallus, final boss wasn't so bad after like 15 tries haha

really great game, i've never been much into megaman or castlevania but this game held a really tight grip on controls, difficulty, reward and variety and i really love how fucking cool it looks. it's thankfully a lot more forgiving than the games it's inspired by, so spikes and pits aren't one hit kills and bosses and enemies and levels are designed around mastery in a way that if u play them enough you can find yourself in that dark souls style state of mental ascension in which you're turning constantly challenges from daunting to trivial, even tho some of the bosses you can just cheese by. there's also quite a bit of secret hunting and metroidvania'ing with upgrades that let u glide or breathe underwater and shit.

i wish i didn't have my two instances of progress losing bugs but the game autosaves very frequently so i didn't lose all that much

overall it's like a condensed version of all those games with a brush of modern game design polish that's just a really good time

it's also important to know that people have pretty broad tastes and the same person might like things that are totally unrelated

i like fallout 2, undertale, the witness, dark souls and league of legends, which means i'm a complicated human being that, like everyone else, can't simply be summarized in a chart

sometimes i'm in the mood for something like the witness which is actively teaching my brain this strange language of unique interactions between shapes and forms and the world around them, and sometimes i just want to subject my heart to the unpleasantness of inside, while sometimes i just want to get really frustrated at strangers and climb up the ladder with my duo buddy in league of legends.

people will always gravitate to different types of games that may not entirely fit what's expected of their personality, so i like that bartle taxonomy thing as more as an appreciation of the game's design and aesthetics and what kind of reward loops it presents the player, rather than as a result of the player's personality

i agree with ur conclusion that there is no single game for everyone, but my psychiatrist mom has taught me to not hold these kinds of tests in high regard (as in, people are weird and unique and you can't just bundle them up into categories when thinking of them as individual persons), so yeah, if you don't like inside, maybe it's not because you're introverted or rational-thinking, but cos inside is just not your game

Does anyone even fully understand the story?
A bunch of stuff that doesn't really make sense to me, but then I couldn't really concentrate many times when it was just "press right" for long sections.
Though I agree that the world is very well-made, even if it lacks creativity, the fantastic animations and toned down, dark and ambient music helped a lot for immersion.
"fully understand" is kind of a weird way of thinking about it, as some things are purposely left up for interpretation

the general picture you got from playing it is probably enough to 'get it', even tho they're some other theories that aren't that interesting (including the ones derived from what you get when you find all the secrets)

more than anything, inside is a mood piece, you're playing the game to inflict upon yourself the flavor of dystopia concocted by playdead, that's about it, anything specific that people might "fully understand" matters a lot less (tho i've done my share of obsessing about movies and such, so if people want to do that with inside more power to em)

I get what you're saying, but I do enjoy that kind of games as well, if it's creative with a captivating story.
But then, it was literally just "press right" until a shitty puzzle setpiece appears, which totally breaks your momentum.
I sighed every time I had to go back and forth or something else stupid just to move forward, that's not creative at all and just a cheap way to lengthen an empty game.

If you want to make a game that focuses on atmosphere and telling a story through gameplay, then please actually do so, don't throw in a lot of shit that doesn't make sense and just makes it a drag to play.

I gotta say it is worth playing after all, since it's short anyway and it is a special "game", I just expected a LOT more from it.
i kind of agree with what you're saying, tho i didn't find it that bothersome in inside, outside (no put intended) of one single puzzle instance that i was massively overthinking and had me stuck for like 15 minutes

i think your complaints are pretty valid, for me the spectacle was enough to blast through those moments where the game pauses and asks you to push boxes and such, and sometimes the game did really cool shit with that stuff so it's not like every puzzle was bad

Tomasety

Some things are odd.

Snake Pass
BGHaHPG.png

Yooka Laylee
9Jq8ukm.png

I personally don't think there's anything odd there. Certain games can be good/decent but you might not like/recommend them either because they targeted to a niche community or they are not to your liking.

An example of this might be Styx: Shards of Darknes.

dMNvrUq.jpg

Score 72. That's a good overall score. I don't like to rely on scores too much but it's what we have there.

6EDjAgw.jpg

Here's what I find interesting. 31% of critics recommend it whilst a 69% of contributors do the same.
Contributors tend to review games they might like/recommend more than critics that's why this and other cases are interesting and might show a discrepancy.

I'm not keen on stealth based games but If I had been a critic I would have reviewed it similar.
To make things easier: "I can honestly tell you it's a good game but it's not one of my kind genre. I recommend it if you have a liking for stealth-based games".

As a contributor I wouldn't have reviewed it in the first place.

Monooboe

Does anyone even fully understand the story?
A bunch of stuff that doesn't really make sense to me, but then I couldn't really concentrate many times when it was just "press right" for long sections.
Though I agree that the world is very well-made, even if it lacks creativity, the fantastic animations and toned down, dark and ambient music helped a lot for immersion.

I think most people get the sense of the story, just not the specifics. I guess it depends if one is content with just "feeling" the story or if one actually needs to know the lore.

I thought the puzzles sometimes actually helped with the worldbuilding but yeah agree that sometimes they did break immersion, especially when it was trial and error.

Speaking of dark and ambient music. I think it is so damn cool how they made the music, it was so above and beyond, they actually used a real human skull as a "filter" for the flavor of the music.:D

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/6/13190982/inside-game-soundtrack-human-skull

Echoplx

I'd say yes. It's a huge improvement over vanilla. Early-, mid-, or late-game, you'll feel the effects of Utopia.

Although with Paradox games, it's always worth waiting for more content too. It's the Paradox paradox.

Yeah I'm fine with that, I always heard Stellaris was a bit too lacking with the base game though.

I see a lot of the improvements are with the 1.5 patch itself rather than the DLC specifically, is it really worth $20?

zkylon

zkylewd
well i downloaded killer is dead, i might give it a shot

game doesn't sound great so idk if i'm gonna play it, but i'll think about it

maybe i should finally play oxenfree, idk

Yeah I'm fine with that, I always heard Stellaris was a bit too lacking with the base game though.

I see a lot of the improvements are with the 1.5 patch itself rather than the DLC specifically, is it really worth $20?
yeah would be nice to know how much of it is on the base game

idk if i'd give stellaris another opportunity, i felt really lukewarm about release stellaris after reading so many amazing things about crusader kings 2, but idk, maybe i'll be ready to play it again someday

it sounds like a genre i could find myself invested in if the right game comes along

well i downloaded killer is dead, i might give it a shot

game doesn't sound great so idk if i'm gonna play it, but i'll think about it

maybe i should finally play oxenfree, idk

yeah would be nice to know how much of it is on the base game

idk if i'd give stellaris another opportunity, i felt really lukewarm about release stellaris after reading so many amazing things about crusader kings 2, but idk, maybe i'll be ready to play it again someday

it sounds like a genre i could find myself invested in if the right game comes along

KiD is great, try it.

sheaaaa

But that is the game - solving these puzzles amid a fantastic atmosphere. It's not padding the game out. It is the actual game.

If you don't like the puzzles as you seem to do, fair enough. Loved them and loved the game myself, and thought it was a great example of the cinematic platformer. I think the game is far from empty though.

But that is the game - solving these puzzles amid a fantastic atmosphere. It's not padding the game out. It is the actual game.

If you don't like the puzzles as you seem to do, fair enough. Loved them and loved the game myself, and thought it was a great example of the cinematic platformer. I think the game is far from empty though.

Yeah I guess I've just played way too many puzzle games, I barely found the puzzles to be particularly interesting or clever.
This was literally just "press right and sometimes left to win", which made it empty and drag on for too long, for me.
But absolutely, for someone not really invested in puzzle games, I can see that it might be more fun to play.

sheaaaa

Yeah I guess I've just played way too many puzzle games, I barely found the puzzles to be particularly interesting or clever.
This was literally just "press right and sometimes left to win", which made it empty and drag on for too long, for me.
But absolutely, for someone not really invested in puzzle games, I can see that it might be more fun to play.

You're not wrong about the mechanics not being very involved and I can see how it could be boring! I was completely under the game's spell myself from the moment I started playing. It's more of a mood piece I suppose.

ArjanN

Honestly I kinda hoped this stuff would be obvious to anyone in 2017.

In the same way that, say, movies likes Mulholland Drive, Predator, Schindler's List and Toy Story have different audiences, but just because you're not that audience doesn't make it a bad movie, and if you think about it a bit you can usually at least see what other people get out of it.

Honestly I kinda hoped this stuff would be obvious to anyone in 2017.

In the same way that, say, movies likes Mulholland Drive, Predator, Schindler's List and Toy Story have different audiences, but just because you're not that audience doesn't make it a bad movie, and if you think about it a bit you can usually at least see what other people get out of it.

It is obvious.
Keep reading and you'll see that I acknowledge what it is great at.
I'm not even saying it's a bad game, just expressing my opinion and that I don't get the hype.
I'd probably even recommend most to at least try and play it, even if I myself found it boring.

It's great in some ways, but it also in other ways pretty bad.
Just because you're saying it's actually a "mood game", you can't completely ignore criticism for all other parts.

6EDjAgw.jpg

Here's what I find interesting. 31% of critics recommend it whilst a 69% of contributors do the same.
Contributors tend to review games they might like/recommend more than critics that's why this and other cases are interesting and might show a discrepancy.

Here's what I find interesting. Green is used with the thumb down and red is used with the thumb up, even though green is almost universally used for "good" and red for "bad." At a glance I'd think, "oh the critics liked it, but contributors didn't." Then on closer inspection, I'd see that's completely wrong.

Been downloading the Dishonored 2 demo and I'm surprised by the large size of it, left me wondering how much of the game is actually in the demo.

Tomasety

Here's what I find interesting. Green is used with the thumb down and red is used with the thumb up, even though green is almost universally used for "good" and red for "bad." At a glance I'd think, "oh the critics liked it, but contributors didn't." Then on closer inspection, I'd see that's completely wrong.

I'm sorry but opencritic doesn't show the thumbs up/down highlighted. I did it on purpose when I captured the image and well I didn't notice that small detail you mentioned. I should have swapped colors to avoid confusion.

Sarcasm

Like the stock market here, Taiwan.

Green means down, red up lol.

You will. The Utopia expansion has been a great addition on top of the already great foundation of Stellaris.

I've been dabbling with Hive Minds, which turn the faction and happiness systems on their head, and it's been a blast to just grow this gigantic empire sort of like an old-fashioned 4X. (Diplomacy isn't really an option right now because of all the xenophobic, warlike civilizations I have as neighbours.) Hive Minds have a kind of species-level unification unique to them.

There's absolutely nothing else like it. It's the sci-fi game for everyone; if you can think of a sci-fi race, there's a good chance Stellaris can make it happen.

That sounds good. I'm glad my vacation will be next month so I can dedicate some time to Stellaris.

Feeling pretty done with early access games today. I appreciate they're all a little different, there's great stuff like Factorio. I found out a developer has moved onto another project for 3 to 6 months. Kind of a bummer because that can easily turn into 12 months. They claim the stuff they're working on in this new game will benefit the older title but meh. Sometimes I wonder if they will come back to it at all. Especially if their new game is a hype machine.

Either way I respect their honesty on the matter.

Yakkue

I finished Thimbleweed Park, took me about 13h.

Loved it. Can only highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys the old LucasArts adventure games. The humour and puzzles were on point. The game has a casual and a hard mode. I only played hard mode so far, and the puzzles were just the right amount of challenging. There are lots of little easter eggs hidden in the game world. Well worth the price.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man this one butterfly puzzle in Pony Island

NZji5Bt.gif

I found the secret on screen, but the actual exit is way harder. Will go back in a few hours, I'm too confused right now lol

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Finally completed every ending and every side quest :)

I3IF1EV.png

I just started ending B. One question: During the first there there where a couple of side quests in the factory I wasn't able to get to, like, there were two red dots under the factory in the map. I figured I just had to wait until I could operate those two elevators. Now can I go back and do those? Also, do all the side quest I completed reset?

I'd say yes (even discounting my immense love for Hive Minds). Civics, ascension perks, and I assume megastructures (I'm nowhere near using them in my current game) are all gamechanging additions. Adds a lot of flavour and variety in how the galaxy plays out. Like, Hive Minds, Fanatic Purifiers, or the civics that starts you with robot pops/a subjugated species, all fundamentally change the starting playstyles. It's on par with a CK2 DLC in terms of what it adds for replayability and additional mechanics.

It is good that they put so many excellent core changes into the free patch, though. Paradox should never repeat CK2's mistake with retinues.

ezodagrom

I just started ending B. One question: During the first there there where a couple of side quests in the factory I wasn't able to get to, like, there were two red dots under the factory in the map. I figured I just had to wait until I could operate those two elevators. Now can I go back and do those? Also, do all the side quest I completed reset?
If I'm not mistaken, those 2 dots in the factory are save points.

All incomplete side quests reset on route B and there are also a couple of side quests that are exclusive to the different routes.
But don't worry about the ones you missed in A
as there is basically nothing in the game that you can't go back and do later.

The side quests in Nier are such a mixed bag. Some of them have really nice writing which make them worth doing but they're mixed in with really rubbish fetch and escort quests. I've made it a point to do every side quest in the game but this last one I'm on
(95% unit data)
is a grind for the sake of being a grind. Yeah, I can skip this one but there is no way to know which ones are worth doing and which aren't unless you actually look them up.

Jawmuncher

The side quests in Nier are such a mixed bag. Some of them have really nice writing which make them worth doing but they're mixed in with really rubbish fetch and escort quests. I've made it a point to do every side quest in the game but this last one I'm on
(95% unit data)
is a grind for the sake of being a grind. Yeah, I can skip this one but there is no way to know which ones are worth doing and which aren't unless you actually look them up.
Definitely a case where less would've been more. Keep the higher quality stuff, ditch the low stuff or change it up.

i love everything about odallus but cannot for the life of me progress through it at all. i think im just too impatient.

same with volgarr

AHA-Lambda

(95% unit data)

That same quest was the last one I did, and basically did it purely for completionist's sake =/

It's easily the worst side quest in the game.

Love the main quetsline of Nier, but the side content is mostly cack

Ascheroth

Jotun

Really liked the artstyle, animations, music and norse mythology.
Game also was challenging without being (majorly) frustrating, so props to that, because that balance is very hard to get right.
I just wished sometimes that you had a sprint (outside the bossfights) or a tad faster basic movement speed.

Regardless, those were a fine ~6 hours.
Literally no one talks about how good Momodora IV is. III and especially IV feel like this cover art come to life:
I feel like Reverie Under the Moonlight gets praised here all the time.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with it? There's only two DLC packages I'd rate as must have anyway, Common Sense and Art of War.

I don't know, I assumed it was necessary to get all the expansions to get the complete experience. The price goes up pretty quickly. :(

I still would argue that Rabi Ribi is better than Momodora 4. I liked Momodora 4, but it felt really short.

Rabi Ribi on the other hand shows 39 hours for me (100%) it and I would argue is also more complex (and imo fun).
Though a lot of people dont like the Shmup style boss battles or are put off by the ecchi-artstyle.

Ascheroth

I still would argue that Rabi Ribi is better than Momodora 4. I liked Momodora 4, but it felt really short.

Rabi Ribi on the other hand shows 39 hours for me (100%) it and I would argue is also more complex (and imo fun).
Though a lot of people dont like the Shmup style boss battles or are put off by the ecchi-artstyle.
...I didn't know it was that long. Just shot up on my wishlist :)

Uzzy

I don't know, I assumed it was necessary to get all the expansions to get the complete experience. The price goes up pretty quickly. :(

Nah, quite a few of the expansions can be skipped if you're not interested in the areas they expand upon. You don't need Res Publica if you're not going to be playing a merchant republic, for instance.

Art of War and Common Sense are the only ones I'd say are essential, with Cossacks and Rights of Man below those.

Nzyme32

I was interested in trying out EU4.
Then I checked out the DLC page.

:(

There is a lot of small dlc and some extremely good larger dlc, such as the one recently released - that should be a positive, and not a reason to fear the game unnecessarily has extra content, needs it all to be played.

The base game has had tons of updates throughout. Play the demo and see if you like it.

Buraindo

Finished Far Cry 2, had a great time overall. It has a few issues no doubt (respawn rate, some enemies took about 40 bullets too many to stay down at times and some bugs) but man is it a good game. The way the mechanics serve the tone of the game reminded me a lot of my time with STALKER, which is always a good thing.
I'm glad I went back to finish it and thanks again pantsattack for those tips.

Literally no one talks about how good Momodora IV is. III and especially IV feel like this cover art come to life:

Only played III and loved it. Pretty sure both games and IV especially are well liked around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom