• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

I haven't played near a tomato, but how much of route B is same as route A? Because knowing that, I don't know, 75% or whatever is the same, it would certainly give me pause as well.

It doesn't seem be about 'the credits rolled so I'm done', but rather maybe some just don't find the content compelling enough to keep going?

I haven't played near a tomato, but how much of route B is same as route A? Because knowing that, I don't know, 75% or whatever is the same, it would certainly give me pause as well.

It doesn't seem be about 'the credits rolled so I'm done', but rather maybe some just don't find the content compelling enough to keep going?
It is honestly 90% the same, with some new side-quests available, some additional cutscenes (as well as certain additions to previous cutscenes) and you play as another character. It's definitely the low point of the game, but if it's that much of a slog to someone it's not long to critical path.

Hektor

Route b shares maybe 50-60% with Route A, the rest is either extremely changed, new or skipped

tuxfool

Banned
That Groundhog Day was a really short film. I didn't bother watching the rest, because it was repeating the same day again.

Nabs

It's very similar, but it doesn't take very long to get through.

Durante

Honestly, do you have the patience for multiple playthoughs of story-rich games anymore?
Not generally, no.
For many story-heavy games, I might not even have the patience for one playthrough.

The difference is that this is Nier, so it's actually interesting. (and also, it's not really a repetition, neither in terms of story nor in terms of gameplay)

It took me 20 hours to complete route A, and ~16 to complete route B. I'd say out of those the majority of the time (>60%) wasn't overlapping at all, since it's stuff like distinct side quests, phases where you have different routes, or reading of archive entries and item stories etc. Of the remaining 40%, probably 20 percentage points are repetition but with a twist (for one,
the basic combat mechanics are pretty distinct
) and maybe 20 are straight up repeated.

Tonton

I should try to convince people that you only beat Trails of Cold Steel II after you've seen the NG+ only scene at the end of the game

Which is not far from the truth

Nzyme32

The Witness is the newest member of the "games that make me physically ill" group. Instead of providing harder puzzles and more complex solutions, the puzzles near the end decide to flash you with seizure inducing strobe lights and vomit inducing rotations and movements. I'm fully expecting to find some puzzles with chalkboard scratching sounds in the next couple of rooms.
Well done, development team.

Kind of agree. I had to take my time with some of them to avoid getting a headache - but I did enjoy them. I also enjoy the area itself, the puzzles, and some of the little surprises dotted around

I don't remember that part at all.

If you didn't see that, you have likely missed a chunk of the game that in my opinion is entirely worthwhile. However to get there, there is a discovery you would need to make that is, at least in my experience, quite revelatory if you work it out on your own.

Assuming this isn't something you want to work out, I can provide some small hints:
You spend the game unlocking lasers things. Why? How many did you last need? Were there other suspicious things you saw towards the end?

fantomena

Im having a hard deciding wherever to go for Horizon, Zelda or Nier. :( I like to focus on 1 game at the time, but all of them are catching my interest hard. Guess I don't need to buy a new game in a while and I also got addicted to Six Siege, Gungeon and Isaac again.

Nzyme32

100%ed hollow knight

everyone who has even a passing interest in metroidvanias should get this game

Yeah. Made a thread about how much I liked it, but my opinion didn't suit a mod who altered it. One of my favourite games. Good to hear they intend for more content soon, which would go some way to explaining a bunch of things I found that had no purpose / were cryptic

Wok

I know you folks here absolutely loooooooooooove Jim Sterling so you'll be interested to know he's having a fun time with The Sexy Brutale.

unwishlisted

Sad!

The devs of Sexy sent a code for review to Jim, BIG DEAL! They have nothing else to do with Jim! You know that the devs of Yooka sent a review code too... and yet you bought their game!

So what's the deal? If Jim likes something, you don't want it? Big news: Jim breathes oxygen and drinks water, and I am sure he likes it.

Enjoy SteamGAF!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (j0hnny_385, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

AIR GUARDIANS STEAM -- MB-3AA17481B0523BBB
CRAZY BELTS STEAM -- MB-1BDFB5DB93AE7AF0 - Taken by rainking187
EXPERT RIFLEMAN RELOADED STEAM -- MB-D90EBB543B44C5D9 - Taken by sadblob
FINNISH ROLLER STEAM -- MB-DE94502BFF6DB73E
LAST INUA STEAM -- MB-503EC4880859A11A - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat
MAELSTROM STEAM -- MB-4064585E59BF238D - Taken by SSPssp
NASH RACING STEAM -- MB-39F023DB2AF9BE39 - Taken by Hakkelus
NORMALITY STEAM -- MB-3610E1B654DC6518
OVERLORD STEAM -- MB-280AC684039CF04D
SUPER HOP N BOP ULTRA STEAM -- MB-DF20A96F966203CC - Taken by redlacs

Yeah. Made a thread about how much I liked it, but my opinion didn't suit a mod who altered it. One of my favourite games. Good to hear they intend for more content soon, which would go some way to explaining a bunch of things I found that had no purpose / were cryptic

Your mistake was mentioning Super Metroid in the title

Ozium

Sad!

The devs of Sexy sent a code for review to Jim, BIG DEAL! They have nothing else to do with Jim! You know that the devs of Yooka sent a review code too... and yet you bought their game!

So what's the deal? If Jim likes something, you don't want it? Big news: Jim breathes oxygen and drinks water, and I am sure he likes it.

paid review

Jim Sterling's tastes are awful so if he liked something it's probably shit.

Parsnip

If you didn't see that, you have likely missed a chunk of the game that in my opinion is entirely worthwhile. However to get there, there is a discovery you would need to make that is, at least in my experience, quite revelatory if you work it out on your own.

Assuming this isn't something you want to work out, I can provide some small hints:
You spend the game unlocking lasers things. Why? How many did you last need? Were there other suspicious things you saw towards the end?
Inside the
mountain
, which I'm guessing is the last location of the game. It's 5 or 6 puzzles but enough to make me feel sick.
I got to
"the challenge" (but didn't beat it)
, I just didn't remember that part at all. I'm looking at some tube videos to remind myself, do you mean
some of the malfunctioning panels near the neon light bridges?
Yeah, I can see how those could cause some nausea.

Anteater

I don't know, I don't like the one sided conversation between people who played like half of Automata, hate it and people who absolutely love it.

I don't like some portion of Nier Automata and even agree with posters like Zkylon, Chairmainchuck, and Rhaknar who have voiced their opinions on what they don't like about it. But the condescending tone between posters who love/hate the game and the ones who wouldn't even bother to give it a try are silly.

Wok

paid review

More reviews for you to chew on this Monday:

fPHOz5x.png

Jim Sterling's tastes are awful so if he liked something it's probably shit.

ZivFVDB.png

Am I doing that right, morning bus?

Jawmuncher

dino crisis 3 > sm

This is the kind of opinion I'd expect from someone who clings to Dino Crisis in 2017 tbh

¯_(ツ)_/¯
Gotta keep my image intact

I don't know, I don't like the one sided conversation between people who played like half of Automata, hate it and people who absolutely love it.

I don't like some portion of Nier Automata and even agree with posters like Zkylon, Chairmainchuck, and Rhaknar who have voiced their opinions on what they don't like about it. But the condescending tone between posters who love/hate the game and the ones who wouldn't even bother to give it a try are silly.

I felt I was pretty well in the middle. I can understand the complaints and also the positives. I beat the game as had a similar amount of highs and lows.

Nzyme32

I got to
"the challenge" (but didn't beat it)
, I just didn't remember that part at all. I'm looking at some tube videos to remind myself, do you mean
some of the malfunctioning panels near the neon light bridges?
Yeah, I can see how those could cause some nausea.

Yeah, those are exactly the ones.

Is anyone here having an issue with chrome where scrolling won't work on a tab, but will on the other?

Yes, though i thought I worked out what was happening. It only happened to me on reddit, so I assumed it was a problem with the RES extension. Not tried to turn it off or anything.

MUnited83

For you.
after going through some uninstalls and installs to fix the drivers, I noticed Nvidia control panel now comes with DSRby default with 4K available. My monitor would bug out when I tried to set 4K before this, but now with this it works fine. Neat.

Anteater

I felt I was pretty well in the middle. I can understand the complaints and also the positives. I beat the game as had a similar amount of highs and lows.

yeah i think it's cool, i don't like some of the things about the game, but i'm alright with talking about them lol, people seem to have no problem shitting on Nier 1 for its flaws, but it feels like 2 is becoming a sacred cow

Parsnip

Coming back to the Nier routes/endings stuff, it doesn't seem like it's common knowledge that that's just the way the game is built. This is the first I've heard of it and I certainly can't be the only one. How easy is it for a more casual player to know that there's more after ending A, to know that they should keep going?

I can't really remember a lot games doing stuff that's similar to it (from what I understand, anyway). Is it a Yoko Taro thing?

It is honestly 90% the same, with some new side-quests available, some additional cutscenes (as well as certain additions to previous cutscenes) and you play as another character. It's definitely the low point of the game, but if it's that much of a slog to someone it's not long to critical path.
Route b shares maybe 50-60% with Route A, the rest is either extremely changed, new or skipped
It's very similar, but it doesn't take very long to get through.
It took me 20 hours to complete route A, and ~16 to complete route B. I'd say out of those the majority of the time (>60%) wasn't overlapping at all, since it's stuff like distinct side quests, phases where you have different routes, or reading of archive entries and item stories etc. Of the remaining 40%, probably 20 percentage points are repetition but with a twist (for one,
the basic combat mechanics are pretty distinct
) and maybe 20 are straight up repeated.
Thanks.

zkylon

zkylewd
i can understand the frustration with some of those puzzles in the witness, specially since i suffered from a lot of motion sickness playing it on release (they've since improved it a bunch), but i think you can skip those?

can't have internet discourse without being condescending, that's just how it works :p

Hektor

Coming back to the Nier routes/endings stuff, it doesn't seem like it's common knowledge that that's just the way the game is built. This is the first I've heard of it and I certainly can't be the only one. How easy is it for a more casual player to know that there's more after ending A, to know that they should keep going?

I can't really remember a lot games doing stuff that's similar to it (from what I understand, anyway). Is it a Yoko Taro thing?

This has been in all of his games in some form of another.

P9DDWn6.png

data

Yeah, those are exactly the ones.

Yes, though i thought I worked out what was happening. It only happened to me on reddit, so I assumed it was a problem with the RES extension. Not tried to turn it off or anything.

It's only happened to me on neogaf. Keeps happing several times a day. Really annoying

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah it's a yoko taro thing

all the games of his i've played have that stuff in em

Ascheroth

I don't care if someone doesn't like the game. I can see why someone wouldn't like it.
That's fine. There are plenty games I don't give a shit about myself that are well loved. Everone looks for different things in games.

I just get really annoyed by people saying they're finished after Route A or say they don't want to replay the same thing multiple times, when everyone who actually has finished the game tells them that they're wrong.
If you don't like the game at all, then just stop. But don't hide behind 'well, I've completed it once anyway', when you haven't even seen half the game.

There's a message by Square Enix at the end of Route A telling you that you haven't seen anything yet. And if you heed it, you'll literally see immediately that they aren't joking.

Ozium

the game literally tells you it's not over and that things will change when you beat ending A...

not sure why this is causing such controversy around here

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
ZivFVDB.png

Am I doing that right, morning bus?

The logical fallacy you quoted there is better suited for arguments where a person sees a cause and an action as being linked when there, at least seemingly, is little reason beyond happenstance.

The classic example of that is "Ice cream causes drowning. If you look at these charts, you'll see that when the consumption of ice cream rises, so do the number of deaths by drowning." The fallacy there is that ice cream is more likely to be consumed during the months when people are more likely to go swimming.

A better fallacy here is:

98z81cq.png

But, I'd argue that it's unfair to selectively use this against just Ozium as this can equally apply to people who positively use Jim Sterling as a guide for their own opinions and tastes.

Jawmuncher

the game literally tells you it's not over and that things will change when you beat ending A...

The controversy is the quality of the game for some, which isn't interesting them enough to continue

NeoRaider

The controversy is the quality of the game for some, which isn't interesting them enough to continue

Exactly. And this discussion should just end here. It's about enjoying or not enjoying what you are playing. And i am enjoying the game, like i said many times already. I really do, maybe not every single thing about it, there are some things that i don't like. And that's enough for me to not be able to continue playing the game right after finishing route A for hours and hours more and find enough enjoyment in it. That's all.

And i want to add that i had really high expectations for this game and i was really hyped. And once again it's proved to be a bad thing for me.

Parsnip

This has been in all of his games in some form of another.

P9DDWn6.png
There's a message by Square Enix at the end of Route A telling you that you haven't seen anything yet.
Ah, that's nice. 👍
yeah it's a yoko taro thing

all the games of his i've played have that stuff in em

This all has gotten me much more curious about Automata and the original Nier, so if they end up remastering it I'm probably in.
They did say that they would consider it if Automata sells well, right?
I actually have it on 360 but never got around playing it, and now I just don't feel like getting the console out for just one game.

I'm just asking questions about a game I've never played. There's no controversy around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom