• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
SEGA countdown should end in a few days right? have we heard any updates about it

I mean, it's a countdown and its not over. What exactly did you want an update on before the date its supposed to end?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I meant like any rumors of what it could be

i dont want to get excited over sega porting over a mobile game

It's Bayonetta. Expect the first game ported and you'll be fine. Expect more than that and you will probably...not be fine.

So, I played Inside and wow was it incredibly boring.
Amazing animations, good atmosphere, but damn was it boring and there was no challenge whatsoever.
Literally ran through it like nothing... fuck that stupid back and forth "puzzle" design, zzz.
Endgame spoiler:
Anyone else thought about Akira when playing as that blob of human flesh?

Since I don't want to play this game one second more than needed, can someone list the checkpoints for every secret in the game?
Got a few of them, but really couldn't bother to explore and I won't.

Teggy

Amazing animations, good atmosphere, but damn was it boring and there was no challenge whatsoever.
Literally ran through it like nothing... fuck that stupid back and forth "puzzle" design, zzz.
Endgame spoiler:

Since I don't want to play this game one second more than needed, can someone list the checkpoints for every secret in the game?

You're not the only one. I really didn't understand why this game got so much attention.

It is a detailed walkthrough. 😱

Chapters
6 7 9 14 16 30 31 33 44 47 48 50 54 57

Thanks a bunch! The chapter numbers are all I wanted to know :)
After all, I do like solving puzzles, hope to get SOME challenge at least from this game so it wasn't all a waste.

xezuru

I'm surprised there isn't an "Is this Nvidia update safe" OT shrug

On a side note, got a bit through Metro Last Light, is this game fully stealthable, at least for human segments? I am appreciating that the stealth seems to be more "wide" even though it's still very tunneled, still the AI is hilariously silly, but it seems solid enough and it doesn't have GIANT WHITE ARROWS every 5 ft to show me my one true path to stealth.

Aaron D.

Just bought Stellaris and it's new expansion, just waiting for my payment being approved by Nuuvem. I hope to sink so much time on this game.

Oh man, are you in for a treat.

Random aside, holy crap that game is a screenshot machine. I just can't stop F12'ing every 5 minutes!

For what it is worth:

Embargo ends on Monday for some reason.

No.

No no no no no.

No.

I do not have any more time in my schedule for yet another game.

(That feeling when you go to put a game on your Wishlist and it's already Wishlisted.)

DasFool

I'm surprised there isn't an "Is this Nvidia update safe" OT shrug

On a side note, got a bit through Metro Last Light, is this game fully stealthable, at least for human segments? I am appreciating that the stealth seems to be more "wide" even though it's still very tunneled, still the AI is hilariously silly, but it seems solid enough and it doesn't have GIANT WHITE ARROWS every 5 ft to show me my one true path to stealth.

The larger, human-only levels are 100% stealth capable. There are a few sequences towards the end where you have to fight, but you'll know them when you see them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a problem with going through EVGA then?

Purchasing, you mean? EVGA doesn't sell stuff directly via the AU store, unfortunately. Literally everything is either "auto-notify" or lacking a buy button.

Ooof

I hope you can get that card fixed.

Yeah, I went with an EVGA FE specifically because of international warranty, so aside from the cost of shipping the card to the repair centre, I'll be covered.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jase is there a saoirse version of jennifer lawrence's yeah ok gif so i can smite the unbeliever in the power of snapchat spectacles?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jase is there a saoirse version of jennifer lawrence's yeah ok gif so i can smite the unbeliever in the power of snapchat spectacles?

I think the closest equivalent is the "No... no..." gif:

tumblr_mkf9ftcKdu1r2srhyo5_r1_250.gif

Rhaknar

Is that a gif of you asking her for a kiss?

Rhaknar

So thirsty that he's even thirsting for rejection

Endgame spoiler:

Same here, I haven't been incredibly impressed by either Limbo or Inside. They're okay, but I don't think I'll ever understand all the love they get.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I beat Quern. I think if you like the puzzles of a Myst-a-like, you'll really like this. It's a very meaty game, easily as long as a Myst game or Obduction. Unlike those games the puzzles are somewhat self-contained -- no overarching meta-puzzle you're trying to solve. Not really self-contained; you are moving around a world and discovering lots of puzzles, some of which you're able to solve and some of which you aren't, and then as you solve puzzles you'll tug at the right loose threads to get items that can give you leverage on other puzzles. But unlike a Myst game, it doesn't feel like you're assembling anything macro-level. There are a wide number of puzzle types, and all of them are pretty good (there was a sound puzzle near the end that I found a little wonky, but besides that it's all good). The soundtrack is also excellent! There's an in-game note functionality which is good for some puzzles but I still went through 8 or 9 pages of notes to beat the game.

I think relative to the very best in the genre, it has two key limitations:
1) Although it has some nice environments, the world is not as beautiful as a Cyan Worlds game or others from among the top of the genre. Much of this stems from the fact that the bulk of the game takes place in a highly desaturated, almost grey world. This is intentional, but it just doesn't have the great feel of a Cyan world.

2) It seems like they started making a "dead world" game, where you mostly take in a world and plot is conveyed through the scattered letter, but then at some point they decided they wanted a narrative. The narrative takes the form of an extremely annoying fairy thing that shows up and just talks at you for extended period of time, locking your camera controls. This culminates in a 6-7 minute long plot dump at about the 80% mark. The ending sequence also has a bunch of unskippable plot stuff. I have no idea how this didn't flag in testing or focus grouping. It's very very clearly a failure of the game.

3) Kickstarter backers have messages written on a wall in the ending area and most of them are dumb memes or I WILL LUV U 5EVER garbage. Ugh.

Anyway, I do recommend it for people who like the genre. Performance was good on my not great rig (SSD, 770, decent RAM and processor, ran at 1660x900 with all settings on max or near max at >60fps; 1920x1080 was more like 45-50fps for me).

zkylon

zkylewd
wow odallus randomly had a weird fps tank and my attacks stopped registering as damage and i couldn't climb up ledges anymore and enemies off screen started despawning, basically had to quit the game

really bizarre, haven't seen something like this happen in a while

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357196.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-BB9441ACDE3EA061 - Taken by Monooboe

zkylon

zkylewd
i loved inside, i think the trial and error-y stuff from limbo feels a lot more bullshitty 6 years later, but despite of that i enjoyed what it put me through, there's some really inventive puzzles that are a big step up from limbo, even if they feel kind of artificial considering how realistic everything else is, and the final sequence is one of the most disturbing things i've ever seen in a videogame

overall the game is such a freaking impressive display of craftmanship, learning it was made in unity just fucking blew my mind

anywho, stuck in the last boss in odallus cos fuck that guy

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here's a personal thought on INSIDE.

One thing I think has more truth to it than is often cited is that different personality types (of the Myers-Briggs variety I am referencing in this instance) seek different things in their gameplay experience. Here's a few charts of many to demonstrate such aspects (Each has much more information on it but for this post I'm going to keep it a bit simple):

scheme_dgd1.jpg

scheme_kersey.jpg

scheme_bartle.jpg

The idea behind these images is that being a certain personality type makes it far more likely to actively enjoy and seek 'pleasure' in games from different faucets, IE your personality is more likely to enjoy games of a certain kind. INSIDE would very specifically in the above charts fit into Feeling/Perceiving (Wanderer), Internal/Changing (Idealist), and Environment/Interaction (Explorer). Which is to say that the people who would enjoy INSIDE more would be those with strong Intuitive/Feeling personalities over Thinking/Judging, as an example. Because the game isn't really challenging, it's more made as an atmospheric mood piece, which is what some gamers specifically want but others may find it dull, and it comes down to what players are seeking in a game which often can be traced at least in part to a person's personality type.

I think this deserves to be mentioned more, since there isn't a single game for everyone. Where INSIDE succeeds is it strikes heavily with the audience it's aimed at, though it might not do much for those it's not aimed at. INSIDE is a very easy case to put this in as the game is a very focused experience on certain faucets of game design.

Monooboe

INSIDE blew me away when I played it, was so damn impressed by it. I usually prefer gameplay and freedom over story but INSIDE told it's story entirely in the gameworld and while gameplay was limited I found the immersion to be great.

INSIDE blew me away when I played it, was so damn impressed by it. I usually prefer gameplay and freedom over story but INSIDE told it's story entirely in the gameworld and while gameplay was limited I found the immersion to be great.

Does anyone even fully understand the story?
A bunch of stuff that doesn't really make sense to me, but then I couldn't really concentrate many times when it was just "press right" for long sections.
Though I agree that the world is very well-made, even if it lacks creativity, the fantastic animations and toned down, dark and ambient music helped a lot for immersion.

oipic

Here's a personal thought on INSIDE.

One thing I think has more truth to it than is often cited is that different personality types (of the Myers-Briggs variety I am referencing in this instance) seek different things in their gameplay experience.

Very nice post, Dusk - respective personality types and their 'fit' and inclination to click with certain games (or genres, for that matter) is a point that is grossly overlooked.

Some titles might appeal to a larger cross section of personality types than others, but some will obviously be more tightly aligned (and catered) to a certain type of gamer, and what they seek in an experience - which is a point so often overlooked in reviews of games (or any subjective experience, really). Thankfully, there are bountiful choices for all types.

This is one of the reasons I so dearly love this community here, as I feel we have a healthily broad representation of personalities. I've come to know those who are more similar to me in their thoughts on games, life, and whatever else, who provide a familiar outlook and a relatable reference point. Just as appreciated and valued are those who differ markedly, and offer insight and perspectives that I wouldn't otherwise see.

As for Inside, I feel it's something I'm very likely to enjoy (INFJ here).

Is Stellaris fleshed out enough with the Utopia DLC now or is it worth waiting for some more content?

I'd say yes. It's a huge improvement over vanilla. Early-, mid-, or late-game, you'll feel the effects of Utopia.

Although with Paradox games, it's always worth waiting for more content too. It's the Paradox paradox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom