• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just beaten Dungeon Siege III with local co-op.
Save file says we spent 12 hours to beat it. Nice, little adventure with very fun & engaging combat. Camera is a bit janky but it didn't our enjoyment. So much RPG elements, from skills and upgrade to gear up. We stopped a lot to compare and change the characters' equipment. So many stats & skills that lead to different character builds, we're kinda overwhelmed which gear to use.

And now we're leaning towards Sacred 3. Yeah, the reviews are pretty bad and it seems that there's no gear progression at all? I'm still not sure how much RPG element Sacred 3 has.

fertygo

Just beaten Dungeon Siege III with local co-op.
Save file says we spent 12 hours to beat it. Nice, little adventure with very fun & engaging combat. Camera is a bit janky but it didn't our enjoyment. So much RPG elements, from skills and upgrade to gear up. We stopped a lot to compare and change the characters' equipment. So many stats & skills that lead to different character builds, we're kinda overwhelmed which gear to use.

And now we're leaning towards Sacred 3. Yeah, the reviews are pretty bad and it seems that there's no gear progression at all? I'm still not sure how much RPG element Sacred 3 has.

Gauntlet's port doesn't have local co-op?

Eternia

I'm in love with Super Mega Baseball.

Finally, my type of Baseball game, on the PC. I absolutely adore it. Rendered at 4K and max settings no problem, it's not the most graphically intense game for sure:
I think I liked the quirkiness from what I saw in the Giant Bomb quick look of the PS4 version a while back. Wishlisted!

On another note that I saw elsewhere, does anyone know why Besiege is 30% off right now? Seems kind of random. I'll probably pick it up though considering the developer has stated the price will increase as more content is packed in.

Sch1sm

that Hello Kitty racing game from the groupees bundle is kinda fun.

but the boat stages in adventure mode are aggravating >X(

Backlogger, maybe you should buy it. Ha.

On another note that I saw elsewhere, does anyone know why Besiege is 30% off right now? Seems kind of random. I'll probably pick it up though considering the developer has stated the price will increase as more content is packed in.

Probably to mark all the new stuff they've added with the latest update!

Vibranium

Banned
I've been watch the 500 hour MGS stream on Twitch, and man I want Metal Gear 2 on PC along with the rest of the HD Collection. Zanzibar Breeze is one of the most addicting songs I've ever heard.

Teeth

So I just beat Aliens Colonial Marines.

I know it's been patched to hell and back, but damn, I can't for the life of me figure out why there was so much furor over it. It is 100% mediocre. It feels cheap in a lot of places, but it was more fun than Rogue Warrior, Homefront, hell, it was about on par with your average Call of Duty to me.

I've played a hell of a lot worse games in the last 5 years.

Ozium

I know it's been patched to hell and back, but damn, I can't for the life of me figure out why there was so much furor over it. It is 100% mediocre. It feels cheap in a lot of places, but it was more fun than Rogue Warrior, Homefront, hell, it was about on par with your average Call of Duty to me.

because Randy Pitchford LIED

Sober

I haven't played it but from what little footage I've seen it smacks of being mediocre on top of Aliens fans probably being rightfully mad that the game is bad and that entire fuckup by Randy Pitchford and friends.

Teeth

I haven't played it but from what little footage I've seen it smacks of being mediocre on top of Aliens fans probably being rightfully mad that the game is bad and that entire fuckup by Randy Pitchford and friends.

Sure, but that wasn't what got it a Metacritic of 45. I'm not sure why the games media went all in on it (though, I'm assuming they all reviewed the 360 version, which when I watch videos of it, is quite a bit uglier and buggier).

Post patches, it's just just super mediocre.

I'd say its biggest sin is that the worst parts of the game are when you are fighting the aliens themselves. Especially in the beginning, where you're in a really dark ship with tons of revolving and flashing lights against really dark backgrounds, they can be impossible to see until they are on top of you. And I do mean on top of you...they do the cardinal FPS sin of having melee enemies basically stand inside your collision volume so you can't see them after they attack you. The feedback for when you are getting hurt by an alien is terrible too. So many times I would be getting swatted by them but couldn't see from where. Basically, once the aliens get on top of you, you're dead. That makes the difficulty super uneven, wherein the game is a cakewalk when the aliens approach from afar or when you are facing humans, but then you'll get locked in a room with xeno pouring in, and it's insta-death over and over again.

Also, terrible bosses.

But when the areas are opened up and the lighting is flatter and brighter, it's a totally fine shooter. Meh.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Many of the furore came from all that was promised and was shown originally as builds and early show floor demos. Also what came out later in regards to how much was used to make another game rather than being spent on the title the funds were allocated for by SEGA.

Many threads on GAF dedicated to both issues. Taken by itself, without any consideration to the above, expectations leading into it by standard hype, and if one is in it for a great love for the franchise, aye it's just a mediocre game of no importance.

Teeth

A:CM is not a good game. It's also not an interesting bad game.

my long boring-ass opinion:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79605513&postcount=13248

I actually agree with 99% of what you posted there.

That boss fight with the Loader was one of the worst I've experienced in a long time (though it only took me about 12 tries - the trick is to constantly keep your back to the wall so the little guys can't swarm you to death).

Where we differ, I think, is the weight we put on different aspects of games. The core controls and combat were totally adequate, though uninteresting. The story was a total mess. Unless a game has a compelling narrative, I usually don't give a shit about that portion of it. All the army OOH RAHs in the world don't bring down a game for me. On the other hand, something like GTA4, with its fucking terrible core controls, heinous input and animation lag, worthless padding between missions, and complete disrespect for the player's time and input weights far more heavily to me than its quite good scripting, scope, and "living world".

Since Aliens is totally playable and mild fun when it isn't frustrating, I'd actually rank it about the same as something like GTA4 with its terrible core gameplay. Which is about a 3 out of 10 for either.

The only thing I was expressing in my first post is that, Aliens does nothing worse than your average Call of Duty campaign (which has an even more limited gameplay space than Aliens) and the big bombast is completely meaningless to me.

I would say that you probably fucked your own ability to garner much enjoyment out of the game by A) playing on hard and B) going for collectibles (why?).

Oh, the last thing I want to say is that, as soon as I saw Ashley Burch (from Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin) was voice acting in it, I couldn't not see her face every time that character spoke. Her voice is far to distinct to be playing a generic role.

I stumped upon a deus ex let's play on Youtube. Urge to play the goat again is rising.
Kreygasm.png

Edit: Not me! MSG4 left a bad taste on me so I'll wait impressions.

Sch1sm

So are we all going insane waiting for mgs5?

Not me.

In fact, I may even wait a long while to play it, until it dips into a good enough price. $25 and I'd auto jump. $20 and I'd kill someone on my way to get it. I have so large a backlog, and even then, I think I tired myself out after replaying the major titles. I doubt it'll end up spoiled for me unless people actively seek the hate of Jesus.

tl dr; buying whenever its <$25, no real rush, no insanity. Patience of a God.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Not me.

In fact, I may even wait a long while to play it, until it dips into a good enough price. $25 and I'd auto jump. $20 and I'd kill someone on my way to get it. I have so large a backlog, and even then, I think I tired myself out after replaying the major titles. I doubt it'll end up spoiled for me unless people actively seek the hate of Jesus.

tl dr; buying whenever its <$25, no real rush, no insanity. Patience of a God.

That's like me with GTAV, I've dodged spoilers for it for over 2 years so I can easily wait until it's less than 25€.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Poof -- MB-AFA80EDECEA70BC7 - Taken by Spirited

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RE: Mafia removals: Mafia has licensed music and Mafia 2 has the added factor of the yesteryear Playboy magazines. Neither game was long for this world.

Dr Dogg

I miss Stumps boring long ass impressions. In fact I miss the almost complete lack of impressions in total within the thread. Occasionally see a someguyinahat write up and a few other peeps who sometimes post a paragraph or two (thank you to those who do) but it's been a bit flat on the ground impressions wise in here for a while :(

Speaking of Mafia II if you have the strange compulsion to only own it now it's gone from the store because you passed up on the billions of previous discounts it had well I see 2 options:-

Spend nigh on £165 on the 2K Mega Pack

Or £17.49 on the Mac version which is Other DRM

If those 2 loopy ideas aren't for you I think there's EU retail copies out there that redeem on Steam to track down

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I miss Stumps boring long ass impressions. In fact I miss the almost complete lack of impressions in total in the thread. Occasionally see a someguyinahat write up and a few other peeps who sometimes post a paragraph or two (thank you to those who do) but it's been a bit flat on the ground impressions wise in here for a while :(

Something something nobody here plays games something something.

AHA-Lambda

I miss Stumps boring long ass impressions. In fact I miss the almost complete lack of impressions in total in the thread. Occasionally see a someguyinahat write up and a few other peeps who sometimes post a paragraph or two (thank you to those who do) but it's been a bit flat on the ground impressions wise in here for a while :(

Can you not handle all the waifus??

but yeah, as some who tends to posts impressions of what I'm playing, I agree =/

I hadn't realised how much I'd missed Stump's stuff til he posts the Aliens thing again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I usually post impressions of whatever I'm playing on pc, but that's been a while. There's Yoshi's Woolly World to thank for that :p Will get back to pc after I return from my Chicago trip (woo!)

Dr Dogg

Something something nobody here plays games something something.

Hahaha that is unfortunately very true. While the better way to encourage more peeps to post impressions would be to lead by example I've finished 3 maybe 4 games all year and 2 of them are an AssCreed and GTA V which I doubt anyone wants to hear me bang on about.

Can you not handle all the waifus??

but yeah, as some who tends to posts impressions of what I'm playing, I agree =/

I hadn't realised how much I'd missed Stump's stuff til he posts the Aliens thing again.

I usually post impressions of whatever I'm playing on pc, but that's been a while. There's Yoshi's Woolly World to thank for that :p Will get back to pc after I return from my Chicago trip (woo!)

One thing I've been secretly coveting for a couple of weeks now is the 52 Games in 1 Year thread. While not as verbose as a Stump write up or as succinct as a Stallion breakdown there's some good stuff in there and some do a great job with presentation of the games they finished and their thoughts on said titles.

milena87

So are we all going insane waiting for mgs5?

Nah, I personally don't care for the series.

-------------
Anyway, last night I completed Hero of the Kingdom 2. It plays exactly like the first one and it's a nice, relaxing experience. I found it a bit longer than the first game: 5 hours againts 4.
Of course I pretty much ignored the story, as it was pretty laughable at some point. But I didn't want to play it for story and characters. I just wanted to relax while finding and clicking things in the background.

And now to continue my dark side playthrough of KotOR 2 to get the remaining achievements.

Dr Dogg

Hell, I'd post a 1000 word screed for every game I play, but they generally don't get much of a response in here.

I think that's partly why I stopped posting my thoughts in here. Little feedback or conversation and would too often get buried under the massive amount of posts in here, both on and off topic. Aethea's gameclub like idea was pretty neat where as a group they picked a game to play (usually bundle fodder) and then discuss it after a week or so in it's own thread. Sadly that didn't have any legs either.

Teeth

I think that's partly why I stopped posting my thoughts in here. Little feedback or conversation and would too often get buried under the massive amount of posts in here, both on and off topic. Aethea's gameclub like idea was pretty neat where as a group they picked a game to play (usually bundle fodder) and then discuss it after a week or so in it's own thread. Sadly that didn't have any legs either.

I think part of the problem is that well thought out, well argued, clear thoughts on a game are fairly difficult to really talk about. You either agree or or you don't, but if they are insightful, there's really not much to say.

Which is why inciteful shit like drive by posts saying some game is total garbage and all its fans are drooling idiots will get pages and pages of people trying to prove you wrong.

Yaiba
Borderlands
MGS4
<game>

zkylon

zkylewd
found there's a bunch of useful mods for witcha3 that makes little annoyances like gathering herbs and not being able to zoom out the map enough a lot better

also some of the sidequests i've ran into are really, really good

anbd very pleased arachas and endregas are still super elaborate and un-spiderlike so thanks to the witcher for not being totally awful for arachnophobes like every other fantasy game :>

Final Fantasy Type- 0 HD impressions (10 hour playtime)

Firstly, lets talk about the rest of the port other than the graphics settings. Now then, the launcher is extremely well done, having not played FFXIII for Steam, and not having encountered a launcher of such quality before, I was extremely pleased with it's quality and look. They did an outstanding job on it, but there is an important part where things didn't turn out quite right, and that is the keyboard controls.

For a while, I tried playing with the keyboard to test out if I can effectively operate it, and unfortunately some commands don't work or are poorly labeled to facilitate use of the keyboard. A major issue was the 'accept/okay' command. I tried every key and checked the keyboard controls layout, and even made changes/adjustments for quite a while and still could not find an 'accept' button for it :/

Fortunately, every other key was functional and worked as it was supposed to. I'm not sure if this is a one-off issue, but hopefully it gets resolved. On short, a great port, but some flaws that need to be addressed. I wouldn't recommend anyone to try playing it with a keyboard. A controller is the way to go.

Story/theme

While the story starts out as okay, and a bit confusing unless you have a gist of what l'cie and their crystals are, Type-0 greets the players by showing the devastation and destruction brought by war. A certain NPC is shown being killed on his Chocobo and gushing with blood. Some of the scene transitions depicting it was good, only hindered by the use of the origin of the assets.

Now, another key theme of the game is that once characters die, their memories are lost and the only way to know who died is by collecting their knowing tags...the dogtags of the game. Now, one factor this gives is the ability to fight without loss or succumbing to emotions, making the characters efficient soldiers, something that is also explored later on. The dialog is often cheesy, but that didn't really matter to me, i'm a cheesy person myself, and I don't see it as a negative.

Sound/Music

The sound options are standard and the quality of the sound itself is good. The English VA cast also did a good job, unfortunately they couldn't capture the personality of some of the characters. NPCs were great, just that some class zero members sounded off (I'm looking at you, Jack and Cinque). As someone who uses Jack a lot, I had to switch to the Japanese voices as his English voice was quite grating to hear, like someone just hit puberty. :/

As for the music, well...i'm not much of a music enthusiast, so i'll keep it simple. The music is used quite well throughout the story, though there are some battle music which could be used better elsewhere as it didn't fit the atmosphere or the group of enemies that used it. Otherwise, it was used quite well, and the music was mostly quite good.

Combat

Now for the main dish! Unlike previous Final Fantasy's, Type-0's combat is that of an Action RPG, rather than turn-based. Each and every character plays and controls differently. Running, dodging, battle stance etc.

My only issue is that the Ability/magic slots are too low (Only 2 slots max to customize your skills and magic both, not separate for each). There are a ton of options to choose from, unfortunately you'll have to reduce that wealth to effectively use your characters. There is potential to combo with your moves at least. You'll have to be patient and progress a fair bit for that though.

The introduction of killsight makes it quite easy to dispatch enemies and bosses. While this would generally be a bad thing, there are certain bosses that would result those fights into a war of attrition, and spawn grunts, so this mechanic aids in ending such fights faster. Also, you're often facing enemies out of your depth in later stages in Officer/agito difficulties, so maximizing or creating killsight conditions is important there and an element of strategy instead.

One nice feature is how summons behave in this game. You sacrifice your party leader in order to summon your bosses like Ifrit, Shiva, Odin etc and here's the best part, you can play as them! They each have their own levels too, and attacks that can be upgraded. Also, unlocking more summons requires completing expert trials, which is quite difficult and fitting to it's name. There are some stages where you're forced to not use magics and summons too, which helps raising the challenge of the stages, and those restrictions are connected to the plot which helps add a layer to the story too.

Overall, I felt that the combat is fun and enjoyable.

A solid game and port, with some glaring flaws. I'd recommend a purchase at $15 or less in a heartbeat.

Uzzy

I miss Stumps boring long ass impressions. In fact I miss the almost complete lack of impressions in total within the thread. Occasionally see a someguyinahat write up and a few other peeps who sometimes post a paragraph or two (thank you to those who do) but it's been a bit flat on the ground impressions wise in here for a while :(

I love seeing impressions of games in this thread, and try to post my own about games I've played, just as a way of figuring out in my own had what makes a certain game good or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom