• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

They are currently advertising their website as official authorised digital retailer for Aspyr, Paradox, 2K, Bethesda and Rockstar (it's in the bottom of every page of their website).

Three months ago Bethesda confirmed ESO keys bought from them are legit.

The deal I reported about Borderlands the Presequel (2K) is 11 months old and is in reddit gamedeals, which allows official reseller deals only. Furthermore I think 2k having at least 11 months to know they are advertising as official/authorised 2k retailer, would have at least made them took legal actions.

And again, from reddit - about a Project CARS deal (here):

That's what a bit of my google-fu discovered, where the most negative things I found were about out of stock keys with people waiting for restocks or refunds.

It's the first time I hear of them, so I am not 100% sure they're legit, but I don't know a valid reason to put them automatically in the shady resellers cauldron.

Why are you so sure they're not legit?
I'm just naturally skeptical/wary of virtually unknown seller sites that offer amazing deals.

You've clearly done more research than I have on the matter - if you judge them to be trustworthy, go for it.

Dr Dogg

Too bad it comes out so closely to MGSV, I don't have enough time to devote to Mega Man. Looks great though, and I'm hoping Capcom will continue the project with the developer.

There was this vid at around E3 which is an interview with the producer on the project that has a few tidbits of info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzkM6b2oUv4

Basically Digital Eclipse are decompiling the NES games and then reimporting then into their engine but they run almost as accurately as on a NES so all the timings, hacks, glitches and so on that the speedruners love with be exactly as intended. As someone that grew up with the PAL versions which ran 12% slower and didn't get to play the NTSC versions until eBay was a thing I can tell you that timing in this series is everything and I'm so glad they haven't tried to recreate them. Sure folks will have issues that they're not widescreen, slow down is still percent and sprite flicker still exists but that's the nature of the beast sadly if the goal is to preserve these games for the hardest of the hardcore. Plus all the extra content and music player for a series with some of the best music in any games ever it looks to be a great celebration of a franchise Capcom haven't exactly treated very well the past 10 or so years.

Eila

Some interesting releases next week. I think I'll be playing Grandia II, but I'm also eyeing Gunvolt and the Megaman Collection, although I can probably get them running better on retroarch with the crt filters.

Hinomura

We are just wary of a seller we have never heard of. Feel free to dip your toes into the water based on a Reddit post, which, in my opinion, isn't a very reliable source for independent confirmation.

Best case scenario, they are legitimate and you get to keep your game. Worst case, the game is completely removed from your account due to charge back or general credit card fraud. Whether it's legitimate or not, it would be disingenuous to recommend a site to you that we have no prior knowledge or experience in.
I'm not recommending it and I never heard of if before too. I'm just curious if it's a legit retailer or not, and what I found tell me it should be.

- iirc once jshackles or JaseC told gamedeals on reddit is pratically 100% safe
- Bethesda confirm they're authorized
- no action from 2k, Rockstar, Paradox, Aspyr (2game.com claims to be one of their authorized and official retailer in each page of the site)
- no blizzard keys
- no out-of-mind discounts (ie the MadMax price is on the line with the one that was in GMG Vip, and the current Funstock price using the preorder code + current discount)
- no vpn required to activated games / no steam gifts
- their games catalogue changes if you approach the webiste using a different region ip (like Nuuvem, they have region locked games)

Apart from this, the negatives (out of stock problems with users waiting for refunds or restocks), would suggest me to be cautious - and I'd use Paypal for sure instead of "giving them" my cc, to speed up eventual chargebacks if they're messing up.

Parsnip

Everything on your motherbase is safe. You can assign units and "ressources" to a FOB, which can be used to aquire more ressources and can be invaded. Everything you put on the FOB can be lost afaik. It's a high risk high reward kind of thing.
Oh, that clears it up. FOB is a different thing entirely from the mother base, and you can basically gamble resources by putting them in there.
Somehow I thought FOB was just like a menu checkbox or something and you would invade other mother bases when it was enabled.

Downside of media blackouts. :p

Also, could someone make me a better eyepatch avatar? I don't have any necessary tools installed yet myself so I just made a quick thing in paint. Here's a larger version of my avatar. http://beerlake.net/dump/avatars/carter_still_full.jpg THANKS!

Hinomura

I'm just naturally skeptical/wary of virtually unknown seller sites that offer amazing deals.
You've clearly done more research than I have on the matter - if you judge them to be trustworthy, go for it.

None of us have used that seller - probably why it's not considered legit, as in we don't have that experience with them, or someone does and it went horribly wrong. Most likely the former.
Don't forget to let us know how it goes. :p

Ok, understood, it's perfectly normal not to trust a not known retailer, since there are a lot of shady ones and scammers. I was just wondering if there was something about 2game to label it as a bad one.

Anyway the MadMax deal is not "unique":
- you can find it on Funstock (add coupon AUG-DEALS-MAIL25 and you have pratically the same price): http://www.funstockdigital.co.uk/mad-max-steam-key-pc-download
- before it was on GMG Vip, and according to the region it was the same price
- iirc there was even another official retailer with a similar price, but I don't remember and I'm not so sure (I bought it immediately from GMG VIP since I had funds)

I don't have to buy anything from them, and in any case a single case doesn't really matter. Four years ago I bought from a shady reseller a game - before knowing it was not legit - everything went smooth and I have still the game in my library, but would I advice you to buy a game from it? Absolutely not, and never bought another game there once knowing it wasn't legit.

Final Fantasy Type- 0 HD impressions (10 hour playtime)

Firstly, lets talk about the rest of the port other than the graphics settings. Now then, the launcher is extremely well done, having not played FFXIII for Steam, and not having encountered a launcher of such quality before, I was extremely pleased with it's quality and look. They did an outstanding job on it, but there is an important part where things didn't turn out quite right, and that is the keyboard controls.

For a while, I tried playing with the keyboard to test out if I can effectively operate it, and unfortunately some commands don't work or are poorly labeled to facilitate use of the keyboard. A major issue was the 'accept/okay' command. I tried every key and checked the keyboard controls layout, and even made changes/adjustments for quite a while and still could not find an 'accept' button for it :/

Fortunately, every other key was functional and worked as it was supposed to. I'm not sure if this is a one-off issue, but hopefully it gets resolved. On short, a great port, but some flaws that need to be addressed. I wouldn't recommend anyone to try playing it with a keyboard. A controller is the way to go.

Story/theme

While the story starts out as okay, and a bit confusing unless you have a gist of what l'cie and their crystals are, Type-0 greets the players by showing the devastation and destruction brought by war. A certain NPC is shown being killed on his Chocobo and gushing with blood. Some of the scene transitions depicting it was good, only hindered by the use of the origin of the assets.

Now, another key theme of the game is that once characters die, their memories are lost and the only way to know who died is by collecting their knowing tags...the dogtags of the game. Now, one factor this gives is the ability to fight without loss or succumbing to emotions, making the characters efficient soldiers, something that is also explored later on. The dialog is often cheesy, but that didn't really matter to me, i'm a cheesy person myself, and I don't see it as a negative.

Sound/Music

The sound options are standard and the quality of the sound itself is good. The English VA cast also did a good job, unfortunately they couldn't capture the personality of some of the characters. NPCs were great, just that some class zero members sounded off (I'm looking at you, Jack and Cinque). As someone who uses Jack a lot, I had to switch to the Japanese voices as his English voice was quite grating to hear, like someone just hit puberty. :/

As for the music, well...i'm not much of a music enthusiast, so i'll keep it simple. The music is used quite well throughout the story, though there are some battle music which could be used better elsewhere as it didn't fit the atmosphere or the group of enemies that used it. Otherwise, it was used quite well, and the music was mostly quite good.

Combat

Now for the main dish! Unlike previous Final Fantasy's, Type-0's combat is that of an Action RPG, rather than turn-based. Each and every character plays and controls differently. Running, dodging, battle stance etc.

My only issue is that the Ability/magic slots are too low (Only 2 slots max to customize your skills and magic both, not separate for each). There are a ton of options to choose from, unfortunately you'll have to reduce that wealth to effectively use your characters. There is potential to combo with your moves at least. You'll have to be patient and progress a fair bit for that though.

The introduction of killsight makes it quite easy to dispatch enemies and bosses. While this would generally be a bad thing, there are certain bosses that would result those fights into a war of attrition, and spawn grunts, so this mechanic aids in ending such fights faster. Also, you're often facing enemies out of your depth in later stages in Officer/agito difficulties, so maximizing or creating killsight conditions is important there and an element of strategy instead.

One nice feature is how summons behave in this game. You sacrifice your party leader in order to summon your bosses like Ifrit, Shiva, Odin etc and here's the best part, you can play as them! They each have their own levels too, and attacks that can be upgraded. Also, unlocking more summons requires completing expert trials, which is quite difficult and fitting to it's name. There are some stages where you're forced to not use magics and summons too, which helps raising the challenge of the stages, and those restrictions are connected to the plot which helps add a layer to the story too.

Overall, I felt that the combat is fun and enjoyable.

A solid game and port, with some glaring flaws. I'd recommend a purchase at $15 or less in a heartbeat.
That was a very good read that gave me a lot of insight into the game. Thanks.

The dialog is often cheesy, but that didn't really matter to me, i'm a cheesy person myself, and I don't see it as a negative.
I chuckled.

derExperte

Say what you will about Bad Rats but the card prices are relatively high for such a widespread game, I've got boosters that were worth less.

I can just tell that when a AAA release goes sub-$30 before release date (see Thief 2014), it's going to be a hot mess at best. Not holding out much hope for Mad Max.

MUnited83

For you.
I can just tell that when a AAA release goes sub-$30 before release date (see Thief 2014), it's going to be a hot mess at best. Not holding out much hope for Mad Max.
Eh, at the very least it will be a quality port and a bad game. I'm expecting a quality port and a decent game, easily worth 30$ imo. I expect it to be this year's Shadow of Mordor, which many people criticize for the design decisions but that I throughly enjoyed for 50 hours.

For the people that have finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, how long did it take? I'm thinking of finishing it today, just want to get an idea of how long it will take.

XShagrath

For the people that have finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, how long did it take? I'm thinking of finishing it today, just want to get an idea of how long it will take.
I just beat it last week, and I've got 7 hours played. I also played it on baby mode, because I just wanted to run through the story after finishing up New Order a couple days before that.

milena87

It really depends on difficulty and if you plan to collect everything.
I've played for a total of 30 hours, but that includes finishing the game twice (first time on Huber, second on normal) and collecting everything to get all the achievements.

It really depends on difficulty and if you plan to collect everything.
I've played for a total of 30 hours, but that includes finishing the game twice (first time on Huber, second on normal) and collecting everything to get all the achievements.

I'll probably just do normal and not go out of my way to get all the secrets. So I expect 8 ish hours I guess.

ExoSoul

Banned
Fun little game

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ExoSoul, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Overture -- MB-D2121C3D56C3791A - Taken by billmcdougal. 1 entrants total.

t1440258122z1.png

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'll be hosting another Quiplash/Jackbox Party Pack gamenight tonight, since it's been over a week since the last one.

The games we will be playing:
header.jpg

header.jpg

t1440291600z4.png

That's 6pm Pacific and 9pm Eastern

You don't need to own the game to play!

The stream will be at http://www.hitbox.tv/DongsMacabre
I'll be recording the stream and uploading it to YouTube after.

Rules:
1. Let me win please

Adventis

To further inspection, 2game.com is even on reddit gamedeals, that should make it legit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2gta2i/2game_borderlands_the_presequel_for_4799_after/

Anyone?

Well, if Reddit says so, it's gotta be real right? XD

Dunno, feeling mighty tempted to go ahead and take a leap of faith. That deal's just too good to pass on.

Tizoc

There was this vid at around E3 which is an interview with the producer on the project that has a few tidbits of info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzkM6b2oUv4

Basically Digital Eclipse are decompiling the NES games and then reimporting then into their engine but they run almost as accurately as on a NES so all the timings, hacks, glitches and so on that the speedruners love with be exactly as intended. As someone that grew up with the PAL versions which ran 12% slower and didn't get to play the NTSC versions until eBay was a thing I can tell you that timing in this series is everything and I'm so glad they haven't tried to recreate them. Sure folks will have issues that they're not widescreen, slow down is still percent and sprite flicker still exists but that's the nature of the beast sadly if the goal is to preserve these games for the hardest of the hardcore. Plus all the extra content and music player for a series with some of the best music in any games ever it looks to be a great celebration of a franchise Capcom haven't exactly treated very well the past 10 or so years.
Uh 5 years.
Megaman 10 was released in 2010
Megaman Starforce 3 was released in 2009
Between 2005-2010 there was at least 1 Megaman game each year in that period.

MUnited83

For you.
It's not just a random person on Reddit. It's actual Bethesda person confirming that the site is 100% a authorised reseller at least for that game. That's as legit as one can get.

Pachimari

Have I missed anything important on the last 15 pages? I have no time to read it through this time, even though I normally go through the pages.

Turfster

That's like me with GTAV, I've dodged spoilers for it for over 2 years so I can easily wait until it's less than 25€.

Wait until that garbage is 5€.
You'll thank me.

I can't for the life of me figure out why there was so much furor over it.
It's a mediocre nothing that insults the franchise and everyone's memories of the second movie, and even after all those patches, it's buggy as all hell.
I got pounced through the wall out of the level by aliens, the 'cutscenes' suddenly stopped working leaving NPCs standing around doing nothing, pickups suddenly because inactive... and the
climactic boss fight wasn't one for me because the queen just fucking stood there, doing fuck all
, which was the piss gravy on top of the biggest, most broken AAA turd I've played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom