• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ah, but see, you play MULTIplayer, I play SINGLEplayer only =p
Sucks to be you man. I just spent 1.9 hours experiencing the greatest game bliss the body can experience. It is transcendent.

He's obviously talking about single player.
But like this is Blops 2. Something is deeply wrong with you if you assume singleplayer when discussing it. The multiplayer is a truly infinite experience that buries the singleplayer and makes it not worth discussing.

I played all PC Call of Duty games for their singleplayer campaigns. Yes, some of them are so scripted that you could say that they play themselves, but others let you play.

Anteater

Make a fresh save file of your finished game, then start a new game it will ask if you want to do NG+ after it asks if you want tutorials, to simulate a Witcher 2 save and then it will let pick your save, which will be the one you just created.

for some reason it doesn't give me that option...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
basically i want to skip setting the price to same as minimum and agreeing to whatever and all the clicks in between

If you just use the other extension to skip all those steps when selling cards and stuff, Enhanced Steam will do that now.

I think the other extension has a "multi-sell" option also, but that functionality isn't in Enhanced Steam.

So basically you click on an item in your inventory, and Enhanced Steam will let you sell it (like normal), "quick sell" it for a certain amount in comparison to the highest sell price, or "instant sell" it for the highest buy price. So 2 clicks per item.

Volimar

I watched a few let's plays of mordor. I thought it looked fun. They tried some very interesting things like being able to help your double agent climb the ranks of importance.

My Binary Domain Impressions

Story:
It is the future. Mankind could not manage to throttle its industry which increased global warming and paved way for catastrophic rises in sea levels. Huge landmasses have been flood and many people have died. Only way to save its remaining landmass was in constructing gigantic walls to fend off the oceans. To achieve this colossal goal research into robotics exploded as only machines were capable of undertaking this task. Having proven themselves essential, robots are now present in all of society as housekeepers, work force even police. This demand has led two corporations to huge success, the American Bergen and Japanese Amada.
As a result of robotics becoming a very big sector, politicians have put restrictive laws into research and production of life-like robots which could not be distinguished from humans called "Hollow Children". You play as a member of a RUST crew whose job it is to go after violations against these laws.
When a Hollow Child is found in America and it not being even aware it was a non-human robot, you and a multinational team of elite soldiers are sent covertly into Japan to find evidence that the Amada corporation has been doing forbidden research.
8KPfKPi.gif

Gameplay:
Binary Domain plays out as a fairly standard third-person-shooter with many inventive systems. At first you'll see that each of your crew members has a "trust meter". This will either fill up or decrease upon your choices during dialogue and whether you protect them during firefights. Another neat idea is the implementation of a voice-enabled command system. I did not use a microphone so I had to use pre-config commands via button press. These can go from simple combat orders like "Give me cover fire" up until opinions on your crews mood and comments on events unfolding in the story.

But as TPS shooting is of course the main focus of the gameplay. And boy does it shine in this area. Movement feels adequately quick with dedicated "dodge" moves for critical evasive maneuvers. Weapon variety is fairly standard ranging from shotguns to snipers. Exotic weaponry maybe expected from a futuristic setting will sadly not be found. On the other side there is a nice selection of grenades. Classic Frag ones, Sticky, EMP etc. During the game you will earn an equivalent of experience points which can be used to upgrade your weapon stats and character stats. Don't expect anything too deep though. It is held enjoyably simple.
All this weaponry will get its fair share of use against the many robots you will be fighting during the ~8 hour campaign. If you had asked me beforehand I'd say fighting robots is as cliche as it gets for a game but the devs did manage to turn this seemingly stale enemy into one of the most enjoyable adversaries in a long time. They are not stupid! They will take cover and pop out to shoot you, dodge your attacks and generally be a formidable opponent. Prepare to take cover a lot as rushing into combat will get you killed very fast. But keep calm as disposing these robots is as fun as it can get. Bullets stagger robots with very good hit animations while a cluster of their outer shell is being shred and flies all around the screen. Good placed shoots will sever limbs, send legs and arms flying around. Don't loose your focus though as these robots will continue pursuing you even without any legs, similar to the scary Terminator in the movie. Headshots on the other side will turn your enemy into a shooting spree hitting his robot brethren, so keep your aim steady! In conclusion the combat is the shining beacon among all the other greatness. From the clean and futuristic landscapes with their huge scope at times to the many and frequent set pieces which never outstay their welcome. Speaking of levels, they are in most cases diverse while still retaining the general tone of a futuristic Tokyo. Each of the levels usually end with a bossfight. Some are more fun, some are not, while all of them can make quick business of you. Running from cover to cover, sending your team mates into firefights at the right moment and using the appropriate weapons will make them a challenge but rarely unfair.

Verdict:
Not having heard much from Binary Domain previously the screenshots and game banner did paint a very mediocre, b-tier image in my mind. With this mindset I gave the game a try and I am glad I did. It became one of my most beloved TPS of the last several years. Production values are high and you definitely don't feel any b-tierness. Voice acting is on spot, making me care about my teammates. The theme of robots and trans-humanism struck a cord with me and it was nicely woven into the story. Very unforeseen twists always kept me at the edge of my seat and I genuinely cared about the events that unfold. Very satisfying game which I hope gets a sequel as there is a lot that can be built upon the source material here. I do recommend going into this game with an open-mind and especially not get too hyped by me or the game's general "overlooked gem" status. I do believe a significant amount of joy can be attributed to my non-existent expectations :)

Looks like it's my seventh Steam birthday :)

I am going to celebrate with a giveaway. You must Super Win the Game!

The first who can beat my chapter 1 score in Ikaruga will win Super Win the Game

So you're saying we have to BUY a game, and then git gud at it, in order to WIN a game? Ugh, you might as well have made it Megagivers Only or something.

pahamrick

The only setting I can imagine that would be worse than Colonial America is a modern city. I'm glad Ubi didn't end up going down that road.

I think it really depends on the city and how modern they wanted to go. A truly modern Assassin's Creed could work -really- well, but I don't have faith in Ubi to actually do it justice.

Dr Dogg

Did Jase just call out Watch Dogs :mad:

Awesome Binary Domain write up Veggie. Personal I'd have loved to see a mash up of Vanquish and it as they both cover each others weaknesses and would have many many strengths.

AHA-Lambda

Mordor has a great idea in the nemesis system but one big problem with it.... The game is too easy!! I died a handful of times, most of them to monsters not orcs!

SteamGAF hates Mordor, but loves Assassin's Creed. I found the games share many of the same problems.

Eh? Apart from a couple people I'd say Steamgaf hates them both.

I loved AC until 3.
I'll agree with this, as average as they are mechanically (and played out since then) I loved the story aspects. 3 ruined that.

zkylon

zkylewd
If you just use the other extension to skip all those steps when selling cards and stuff, Enhanced Steam will do that now.

I think the other extension has a "multi-sell" option also, but that functionality isn't in Enhanced Steam.

So basically you click on an item in your inventory, and Enhanced Steam will let you sell it (like normal), "quick sell" it for a certain amount in comparison to the highest sell price, or "instant sell" it for the highest buy price. So 2 clicks per item.
hmm, yeah, i might keep using the other one then since automatch lowest price and auto sell all the cards with minimal clicking is what i want :>

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Just a reminder that this will be in 3 hours.

I'll be hosting another Quiplash/Jackbox Party Pack gamenight tonight, since it's been over a week since the last one.

The games we will be playing:
header.jpg

header.jpg

t1440291600z4.png

That's 6pm Pacific and 9pm Eastern

You don't need to own the game to play!

The stream will be at http://www.hitbox.tv/DongsMacabre
I'll be recording the stream and uploading it to YouTube after.

Rules:
1. Let me win please

... you're right.
FFS microsoft.

also the version of 15.7.1 that the Windows Update gives you isn't the most recent one

the WU gives you Driver Packaging Version 15.20.1062.1004-150803a-184226E

if you re-download and install the 15.7.1 package from AMD's site you get Driver Packaging Version 15.20.1062.1004-150803a1-187674C

MadGear

... you're right.
FFS microsoft.

I disabled automatic driver updates the first day I upgraded to Windows 10 because it was trying to download and install drivers which I installed manually after Windows 10 checked my system for required updates (I don't need my OS to do this shit for me nor do I want to since I often use outdated device drivers if they run better). Its a bit hidden but you can look here to see how to disable it.

Overall I think Windows Update is something that got way worse with Windows 10, they should definitely let me chose what to install and when, especially for optional stuff like drivers.

I disabled automatic driver updates the first day I upgraded to Windows 10 because it was trying to download and install drivers which I installed manually after Windows 10 checked my system for required updates (I don't need my OS to do this shit for me nor do I want to since I often use outdated device drivers if they run better). Its a bit hidden but you can look here to see how to disable it.

Overall I think Windows Update is something that got way worse with Windows 10, they should definitely let me chose what to install and when, especially for optional stuff like drivers.

Yeah I did this as soon as I knew about it, it was the biggest problem I had with Windows 10.

Salsa

instant sell button on enhanced steam is 2good

sold Harley Quinn foil for $1.5 and goin through all i've idled in the last couple days really fast

fuck waitin

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

I have pro and decided to just not update anything without me specifically deciding to do it, pretty shit that you get mandatory updates that you can't stop if you do not have pro.

shockdude

Looks like it's my seventh Steam birthday :)

I am going to celebrate with a giveaway. You must Super Win the Game!

The first who can beat my chapter 1 score in Ikaruga will win Super Win the Game
header.jpg

The competition will end in 27th August

For reference, here is my score
UlWWY5Q.jpg
Quoting so I remember.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So after 3 days have gone by according to steamspy Finla Fantasy Type-0 HD has sold 62,057 ± 6,923 which I hope Square is pretty happy with, even though it sold a lot less than even XIII-2 seems to have done under the same period (If I remember right)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom