• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Nice to hear it wasn't as frustrating as the second one. I played first two a few months ago and didn't get to the third yet. There's totally going to be twelve of these games, right? :V

I certainly wouldn't mind. The games are fun and rank highly on the "money per hour of enjoyment scale". I paid $0.50 for this game and played it for nearly 6 hours. The fourth game is in this week's weekly deals too, for $0.50.

Purkake4

Banned
Toxikk is getting a full release on 09.09. Trailer.

The most interesting bit seems to be the free version (not F2P but kind of like the UT99 demo) released at the same time:

Chart6.png

* LIMITED AMOUNT OF MAPS
** IF RELEVANT TO INCLUDED MAPS

illusionary

What time is it? Tea Time?

Wrong! It's always Tea Time. But right now, it's time for Uzzy's awesome Cyberpunk Giveaway. So grab your trenchcoat, your mirroshades and your katana, and establish your neural link today!

I'm a touch late for this, but I still have to say, awesome giveaway - thanks!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I does a SP mode...

Which is completely awful and doesn't impact the canon in anyway. Capcom should've tried to sucker buyers for $10 at launch, maybe it would've been a semi-success before the quick collapse right after.

But at launch people paid $30, saw how shit was (after the rest of us told them it was) and then quickly stopped playing within like 6 hours of launch. el-oh-el.

iosefe

reember that reviewer who tried to request a code for TOXIKK and the devs refused on the grounds that their game was totally worth it to be paid for no matter what?

or something like that

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
reember that reviewer who tried to request a code for the game and the devs refused on the grounds that they're game was totally worth it to be paid for no matter what?

or something like that

LMAO. Capcom did that? Oh Capcom.

Nzyme32

I decided to finally watch Free to Play, and it's more than 7 GB download?!
How long is that documentary?

Why not just Stream it? At least that is the version I seem to have in my library

Also it appears (since it is the first time looking in maybe a year) the video section is now actually auto-catagorised, so each series is grouped correctly in the right order

WHY CANT THEY DO THIS WITH GAMES!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why not just Stream it? At least that is the version I seem to have in my library

Also it appears (since it is the first time looking in maybe a year) the video section is now actually auto-catagorised, so each series is grouped correctly in the right order

WHY CANT THEY DO THIS WITH GAMES!

Game apps are required to be tied to an executable. It's why, for instance, Uplay games in fact do this:

Far Cry Primal said:
executable: bin/FCPrimal.exe
argument: -uplay_steam_mode

Microsoft has been taking notes, I'm sure. ;)

But I do agree that users should be able to self-sort apps. Allowing publishers to override Steam's default interpretation is a step in the right direction, but, well, it's just a step and not the very obvious "leap" that people have been asking for. And it'd be relatively easy to store custom library titles in the cloud and tell Steam to sort accordingly.

Grief.exe

I want you to back up the console side stagnating with some sources, because both of the main consoles are selling very well.

I will at a later time as I'm about to leave, but the short of it is those sales are largely front loaded by western countries, but not penetrating emerging markets and even losing old markets.

Japan is gone, Asia is not likely to see massive penetration, and total console revenue in the west has stagnated. This generation will likely see less total sales than the last, and the one after that even less.

This, in large part, is why the industry is moving towards these half console cycles. Corporations can squeeze a larger percentage of revenue from the rabid console base as the pie slowly shrinks.

The writing is on the wall, I just don't have the graphs within easy reach to demonstrate that writing. PC should be largely fine due to Asian growth, but that may not be in games you enjoy, same goes for mobile which is going to see the largest growth especially among the next generation who are not buying into consoles.

MUnited83

For you.
Yea I am. I was hoping they would do like full remastered collection for consoles and pc but it looks like we aren't even gonna get that. Maybe even a MGS3 remake. But instead we are getting a half priced survival coop zombie game. Why would anyone be excited for that? Especially any MGS fan.

I'm a MGS fan that played every title.

Zombies is going to be better than V.

Kudo

God damn, I'm shit at Dark Souls. Can't even get past the Gargoyles near the beginning of the game

They're actually pretty hard, your gear sucks at that point so damage output is really low.
If you want a tip:
You should have 3x Gold Pine Resins in your inventory if you searched all the areas thorough, that will enchant your weapon temporarily with lightning and increase damage against the gargoyles by a lot.

Nzyme32

They're actually pretty hard, your gear sucks at that point so damage output is really low.
If you want a tip:
You should have 3x Gold Pine Resins in your inventory if you searched all the areas thorough, that will enchant your weapon temporarily with lightning and increase damage against the gargoyles by a lot.

That is a very useful tip. I still don't know what half of the stuff is anyway

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just played / finished The Beginner's Guide

WTF did I just play?

Nzyme32

If you want a tip:

Don't forget that you can also summon an NPC helper for the fight to make it 2 vs 2.
I don't think I managed to defeat them solo the first time I fought them.

Just to put some perspective on this - I have had the game since a year after it lauched, and been stuck on that boss since then, leaving the game for several months, trying again every now and then - today was no exception.

Using that one tip - I have completed the boss, without using any estus and without losing any health

For fucks sake, why did I not even read up on what that stuff does! Now I'm going to have to work out what else I don't know. I also still don't under stand Humanity, if someone wouldn't mind explaining the uses?

Well, now to get on with the rest of the game
I just played / finished The Beginner's Guide

WTF did I just play?

I liked it, mostly because it was surprising to me. I just assumed I was going to be playing another Stanley Parable.

Sch1sm

Started this earlier today:

I'm not playing this on Steam since it was a free PS+ game, but a game's a game.

Steam Desc said:
Pilot your trusty orange vessel through mysterious and foreign planets in this quirky sci-fi adventure. Your mission: fix space-time and search out the scientists lost in the aftermath of the Universe's Greatest Science Experiment.

6 out of 16 chapters in and:
  • I'm already finding the amount of abilities to be unmanageable, even using a controller. Too much to keep track of on that front.
  • Pace is twitchy because of how the world is revealed on movement.
  • The auto save points are really awkwardly spaced, as in there are none within a level.
  • I noticed last chapter that you can basically brute your way through levels without much of a thought.
  • I can see potential of it getting boring.

It does have some good, though, such as:
  • The use of both turn based and real time puzzles/combat adds depth to that.
  • The music is great.
  • Mechanics are simple, it's all polished out.
  • Level design is good, though you'd never know with how often you resort to bumping into walls to find secret passages.
  • Enemies are fresh.

I'm having fun, this far in, at least. Would suggest to puzzle-platformer lovers.

Kudo

Congrats!
Humanity has many effects, most that you won't notice but it basically raises your resistances a little and makes monsters drop more items. Using Humanity item gives you 1 of it while healing you (the animation is lot slower than Estus but I think they heal you to full HP so really useful if you want to save your Estuses for boss etc.), the counter before your HP/Stamina bar is how much Humanity you currently have, you lose it when you die.
You can also offer it bonfires to reverse Hollowing which will make you enter online play, other people can invade you and you can summon others to your world.

Just finished The Eyes of Ara, after about 11.5 hours.
The Eyes of Ara is a very enjoyable 'Room Escape' game, that Wok kindly suggested to me. However, while I did enjoy the game, it suffered from a rather unwieldy control-scheme, had a few puzzles that got a bit obtuse towards the end, in part due to poor feedback, and relied a bit too much on pixel hunting at times. However, most of the puzzles were pretty well designed, and I had a lot of fun beating my head against these, with not infrequent moments of sudden realization. The game was also split into self-contained areas (corresponding to chapters in the plot), so that you rarely had to walk far to solve a puzzle. A definite plus in my book.

There are also bunch of collectibles, of which I got about 80%. However, while the game does allow you to continue to hunt for them after finishing the plot-line, I really doesn't feel like pixel hunting, for now.

All in all, I'd recommend this to anyone who are looking for something after beating The Room, and anyone who just enjoys good puzzles.

Nzyme32

Congrats!
Humanity has many effects, most that you won't notice but it basically raises your resistances a little and makes monsters drop more items. Using Humanity item gives you 1 of it while healing you (the animation is lot slower than Estus but I think they heal you to full HP so really useful if you want to save your Estuses for boss etc.), the counter before your HP/Stamina bar is how much Humanity you currently have, you lose it when you die.
You can also offer it bonfires to reverse Hollowing which will make you enter online play, other people can invade you and you can summon others to your world.

Very helpful. Thanks again!

Getting ready for that Nier Automata release on STEAM. Only thing I'm waiting for now are my fittings, back plate, and tubing.

20160820_111110_zpsxavmkqno.jpg~original

Nice!

I always like the fun of having so much ready for a new build

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Uzzy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uzzy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided -- MB-A2AE18273867F8B0 - Taken by Uraizen. 103 entrants total.
Farcry 3 Blood Dragon -- MB-DA4816A21872A8BD - Taken by KenOD. 30 entrants total.
Binary Domain -- MB-1F14AACD527207E4 - Taken by Kudo. 7 entrants total.
Shadowrun Hong Kong -- MB-8AEA36AF24E695C1 - Taken by ramoisdead. 56 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Remember Me -- MB-0D568DCDB4B486B3 - Taken by Jalal. 15 entrants total.

t1471775884z1.png

gabbo

Some steamgaffers(and other PC gaffers) have a discord channel and we play quite a lot of OW I can PM you an invite if you want.

Any chance you could pass that along via PM to me as well? Would love to get in on some GAF multiplayer for any games I have, since I rarely get the opportunity

shockdude

Getting ready for that Nier Automata release on STEAM. Only thing I'm waiting for now are my fittings, back plate, and tubing.

20160820_111110_zpsxavmkqno.jpg~original
At first I thought the boxes were on the floor in front of the couch instead of on a table, which made the boxes look 5 times bigger than they actually were.
Pillow-sized Titan X lol.

neonglow

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galak-Z -- MB-409EBAA1EDDE9F25 - Taken by MANUELF. 19 entrants total.
Spelunky -- MB-9BDCFF9D5ACFB7A5 - Taken by Fare Godmace. 17 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-4A71E59A94AF825B - Taken by Valahart. 5 entrants total.
Saints Row: The Third -- MB-8ACFC768EA3E5F64 - Taken by Dangerblade. 6 entrants total.

t1471744256z1.png

Phawx

is there a text version of this? i don't want to turn on my speakers and I prefer text-based content anyway because it respects my time more

I listened to it in the background and it's pretty much:

40 year old being a 40 year old. Game is filled with Chekhov's guns that never fire. He liked exploring and the narrative but they seemed to be conflicting with each other. Overall he enjoyed it.

My opinion of what he was saying: If you don't want to watch a video because you can use your time better by reading text, Firewatch as a game doesn't really respect your time.

I haven't played the game, but it seems to be one giant pregnant pause of suspense and then nothing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I listened to it in the background and it's pretty much:

40 year old being a 40 year old. Game is filled with Chekhov's guns that never fire. He liked exploring and the narrative but they seemed to be conflicting with each other. Overall he enjoyed it.

My opinion of what he was saying: If you don't want to watch a video because you can use your time better by reading text, Firewatch as a game doesn't really respect your time.

I haven't played the game, but it seems to be one giant pregnant pause of suspense and then nothing.

That is not at all consistent with my experience with the game, but thanks for the summary.

Phawx

That is not at all consistent with my experience with the game, but thanks for the summary.

Again I haven't played the game but the comments from the video seem to reflect it a bit. The people who enjoyed the game seemed to go looking for deeper meaning in any context from the game. The people who didn't like it felt that it was all build-up and no pay-off.

What I love about this in a general respect, I have a personal anecdote that surrounds the topic of "Going for an artsy ending"

My 6th grade history teacher wanted us to pretend that we were forced to flee from our houses during (some event in history, honestly don't recall) and write a journal about the events that happened. What I did was start the journal like things were normal and then when we were forced to flee, I had left my journal behind so it stopped mid-sentence.

I thought I was being super clever by really placing myself in the circumstances. I mean if you were forced out somewhere, during the chaos would you really remember to take a journal?

She gave me a F for that assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom