• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of Season Passes are pretty bad, let's be honest. In a best case scenario, you'll often get 10% of the game's content for half of the game's price--in no way a smart deal for players. Too often it feels like a complete afterthought where the developers desperately wrangle together some bottom-tier content for the sake of padding out the Season Pass, to meet their obligation of x, y, or z, rather than sitting down, clearly explaining what it is and what it will do, and aiming high from the outset to meet or exceed the value present in the base game.

Like, the Witcher 3 set a new bar by offering content-filled expansions that touched all aspects of the game while sacrificing nothing; quality, quantity, nor value were lost. I can only hope that developers make note of this and mimic it appropriately, because I really can't think of a 'Season Pass' done better.

Oh, this sounds really cool. A tabletop adventure come to life as a singleplayer RPG.

Thanks. You always find the most obscure stuff, MB.

Yeah, a bit closer to the root inspiration than Crimson Shroud (no Sakimoto or Smith or what have you, but what can you do).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
the same reason people don't want timers, health items, inventory management or any semblance of risk/difficulty/tension in games like Dead Rising and just "want to kill lots of zombies hurr hurr"

they want content tourism and nothing else

For as much shit as Call of Duty gets, a lot of games that differ from the formula of following the funhouse take a lot of shit.

What a time to be alive, all of these old-school gamebooks coming to life and looking like how my 8 year-old imagination would never have dared to dream of them. I have a copy of this book from the early '80s in a box somewhere. Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson! <3
More are coming, in that engine
Following the release of Warlock, we plan on expanding our reach in Allansia and will be adapting a number of classic Fighting Fantasy titles such as Deathtrap Dungeon, the trap-filled and monster-infested labyrinth of Fang where many heroes compete in the Trial of Champions, followed by Citadel of Chaos and City of Thieves

zkylon

zkylewd
header.jpg

finally finished va11-hall-a

really cool game, playing a cyberpunk bartender is actually a really clever way to almost effortlessly do a shit ton of world building and it's really pays off, the game sets up a pretty large cast of characters that you slowly get to know and it's just really entertaining to see them interact with each other and learn more about them and the pretty entertaining anime cyberpunk world this all takes place in. characters range from hired assassins and hackers to loli robot prostitutes and uh, dogs.

i was surprised by how much i was enjoying it as someone that doesn't really like visual novels, and it just goes to show how the little bit of interaction that it's in there helps. fixing drinks is not a very demanding task, but there's a bit of freedom in how you do it, people will generally ask for, say, "sweet" drinks and you can choose to serve them an expensive drink to earn a bigger comission to have money to decorate your house, or you can just try and guess which drink would suit them. some drinks have optional alcohol so i figured i'd make up a rule for jill that her thing is always doing other ingredients / 2 rounded up + 1. sometimes people ask weird stuff you don't really know what they mean. you can also browse through blogs and news sites and set up the bar's jukebox and idk, none of this is very substancial but it all helps set up the time and place in a way that's involved enough that it grabbed me way more than if it was just reading

it's still a pretty standard visual novel but idk, it grabbed me, its version of the cyberpunk future is super cool and i just find the whole concept incredibly cool and clever.

also the sprite work is so damn good

I'm drinking beer and watching fites. So here's a raffle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ramoisdead, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chariot -- MB-50FB654EB9EFC128 - Taken by Jadax. 2 entrants total.
There Came An Echo -- MB-AE1675D0CCE08B97 - Taken by Costa1774. 3 entrants total.
Skullgirls -- MB-3381C6A472213F11 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 5 entrants total.
Lethal League -- MB-F7678A3518D9CD13 - Taken by Platy. 4 entrants total.
Shadowrun Returns -- MB-19D0868B125E8AD2 - Taken by fuzzy123. 4 entrants total.
The Marvelous Miss Take -- MB-D5A0C5578889C172 - Taken by Delicious Waffles. 8 entrants total.

t1471761120z1.png

mp1990

Banned
header.jpg

finally finished va11-hall-a

really cool game, playing a cyberpunk bartender is actually a really clever way to almost effortlessly do a shit ton of world building and it's really pays off, the game sets up a pretty large cast of characters that you slowly get to know and it's just really entertaining to see them interact with each other and learn more about them and the pretty entertaining anime cyberpunk world this all takes place in. characters range from hired assassins and hackers to loli robot prostitutes and uh, dogs.

i was surprised by how much i was enjoying it as someone that doesn't really like visual novels, and it just goes to show how the little bit of interaction that it's in there helps. fixing drinks is not a very demanding task, but there's a bit of freedom in how you do it, people will generally ask for, say, "sweet" drinks and you can choose to serve them an expensive drink to earn a bigger comission to have money to decorate your house, or you can just try and guess which drink would suit them. some drinks have optional alcohol so i figured i'd make up a rule for jill that her thing is always doing other ingredients / 2 rounded up + 1. sometimes people ask weird stuff you don't really know what they mean. you can also browse through blogs and news sites and set up the bar's jukebox and idk, none of this is very substancial but it all helps set up the time and place in a way that's involved enough that it grabbed me way more than if it was just reading

it's still a pretty standard visual novel but idk, it grabbed me, its version of the cyberpunk future is super cool and i just find the whole concept incredibly cool and clever.

also the sprite work is so damn good

There's a disturbing lack of shoutouts to the dogs in this write up, this won't do zky.

But yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with you. There's something very heartwarming about getting to know these people and helping them in some way or another (especially if you get the character specific endings, which are very sweet), while living in a totalitarian dystopia that complete lacks any hope of things ever getting better, and the future's outlook looking worse by the day. It's like finding shelter in a world where there's none; and the fact that the characters are very well written help a lot, they're not one dimensional notes that stick to their tropes for the entire playtime, I really enjoyed how their personalities where developed and how the "twists" where laid out during the game (although in the end, everything feels the same, since Jill doesn't really have any input in the real world). But yeah, it's hard to put what I think about it in words because it's a game that I really liked and moved me, and even 2 weeks after beating it, it's still dwelling in my mind and I'm having a hard time playing anything else.

Replaced my MX100 SSD with 850 EVO, now all that's left to do is to RMA my old drive. Maybe I could get a free upgrade out of this.
Getting ready for that Nier Automata release on STEAM. Only thing I'm waiting for now are my fittings, back plate, and tubing.

20160820_111110_zpsxavmkqno.jpg~original
Nice!

zkylon

zkylewd
There's a disturbing lack of shoutouts to the dogs in this write up, this won't do zky.

But yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with you. There's something very heartwarming about getting to know these people and helping them in some way or another (especially if you get the character specific endings, which are very sweet), while living in a totalitarian dystopia that complete lacks any hope of things ever getting better, and the future's outlook looking worse by the day. It's like finding shelter in a world where there's none; and the fact that the characters are very well written help a lot, they're not one dimensional notes that stick to their tropes for the entire playtime, I really enjoyed how their personalities where developed and how the "twists" where laid out during the game (although in the end, everything feels the same, since Jill doesn't really have any input in the real world). But yeah, it's hard to put what I think about it in words because it's a game that I really liked and moved me, and even 2 weeks after beating it, it's still dwelling in my mind and I'm having a hard time playing anything else.
that's a nice way to put it, yeah

i'm thinking about going for the other endings, but idk, playing a mostly story-driven game like this again doesn't sound too fun, and that fan made metroid 2 looks awesome

yuraya

Been watching the GB stream of Titanfall 2 from a few days ago and....

james-franco.gif

The game looks and plays nothing like the first game. It seems like I was watching some call of duty game. Something about it feels off. Maybe because they aren't doing 360 version this time? I didn't play a lot of the first game but the amount I played was much faster and more hectic than what I saw with this. The map design is very bad too compared to the first. Very disappointing too see them abandon what made the first so different from other shooters. Good thing they are doing a singleplayer campaign otherwise I don't think I would have a reason to ever pick it up in the future.

I'm a MGS fan that played every title.

Zombies is going to be better than V.

There is zero % chance of that happening. Survive looks like it'll hit low 60s or high 50s on metacritic. Even that is being generous when you consider how quick they are releasing this after TPP. That genre of games just doesn't review well. Whatever is left of that team after Kojima left worked at a snail pace as well. They needed like 6 months to release a small map pack for MGO3. The support for Survive will probably be shit after it releases.

They are doomed without Kojima. And it wasn't just him that left too. He took a bunch of other employees with him. People should have very little faith in Konami. The best course they can take at this point is to remake the foundation Kojima left in place or outsource work for remasters. The real best thing they can do ofc is sell the ip to someone that has leadership in place that can do the ip justice. Sell the Silent Hill and Castlevania ips as well while they're at it.

Sell Metal Gear to Square Enix
Sell Silent HIll to SEGA
Sell Castlevania to FROM/Bamco

This is the best we can hope for.

What time is it? Tea Time?

Wrong! It's always Tea Time. But right now, it's time for Uzzy's awesome Cyberpunk Giveaway. So grab your trenchcoat, your mirroshades and your katana, and establish your neural link today!

Thanks Uzzy! This is very generous.

For Deus Ex: HR sequels, is it wrong to want a Malik detective game instead of another Jensen aug-venture?

Although honestly, it'd be better if they just used Technobabylon's setting instead and put Max Lao in the main role.

...Technobabylon is so good, you guys.

For Deus Ex: HR sequels, is it wrong to want a Malik detective game instead of another Jensen aug-venture?

Although honestly, it'd be better if they just used Technobabylon's setting instead and put Max Lao in the main role.

...Technobabylon is so good, you guys.

She was just a pilot though, I don't think it would make for a very good detective game if the main character has no experience detecting. That being said, more Malik the better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Final Fantasy 6 is looking pretty good these days with the bilinear filter gone and sprite mods

Obviously the battle interface is still the mobile one, but it's a step in the right direction

Vibranium

Banned
Sad to hear about only one true city hub in Mankind Divided. Between that and cut content, I'd love to know what happened.

If they're going to spend another five years for the sequel, maybe it's time to axe the takedowns and move to an active melee system, bring back swimming and perhaps go farther into the future.

Accoun

In clearing the backlog I'm playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Fucking Agroprom.
Also, my PDA is totally borked - resets the "read" status of found notes when you exit it.

hesho

Final Fantasy 6 is looking pretty good these days with the bilinear filter gone and sprite mods

Obviously the battle interface is still the mobile one, but it's a step in the right direction

wow, 1st 2 pics look great.. then i looked at the bottom of the 3rd pic and i gagged... again. Still pissed at squenix for butchering the game like that.

Anteater

that's not how I remember ff6, what in the poop

this is what I remember from ff6

tw9UJir.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
wow, 1st 2 pics look great.. then i looked at the bottom of the 3rd pic and i gagged... again. Still pissed at squenix for butchering the game like that.

This version is such a mixed bag. The monster sprites as well as the battle backgrounds are easily the best versions of any port. The script is the reworked one, so that's nice. The character sprites are terrible and don't match the art style of the rest of the game, which I believe is this version's worst offense. Thankfully, people are working on bringing the old sprites back.

The battle UI, while not terrible, is pretty bad. I hope someone steps up to mod that soon. After the sprites are all replaced, this will be the game's worst trait at that point.

Volimar

The two best parts of FF 6 are MARIAAAAAA and suplexing the ghost train.

How do you do Sabin's moves with mobile controls?

Been looking to get a 1070, but I'm still on a 1080p display and might just wait to get like an 1170 or something next year. Anybody get a 1060? How's it working for them?

I'll be upgrading from a 770 so just curious if the jump from it is good for $250-300.

jshackles

How do you do Sabin's moves with mobile controls?

Even though it looks like the mobile, you can still control it with the Dpad

When you go to blitz it looks kinda like this:

468px-Screenshot_2014-01-23-18-37-10.png

and it shows you what you've entered

Xanathus

Just checked out the reviews and early impressions of Deus Ex Mankind Divided and it looks like another MGS5 situation where the game is rushed out early. Will wait till it's $10 on Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd

honestly even if the new sprites suck i think just slapping the old ones over the new background graphics looks pretty bad as well

it's a heck of an effort for the modders, but it's still such a painful way to play that game

square really blew it with ff6 lol

just play it on emulator

Benedict

Are today's PC's able to be quiet?
The last two PC's I bought were supposed to be quiet, but when I got them I was disappointed on how loud they were.
If I get a new desktop PC, what should I think of?
Or should I get a laptop since they are quieter? Budget is quite limited.

Pixieking

Banned
Just checked out the reviews and early impressions of Deus Ex Mankind Divided and it looks like another MGS5 situation where the game is rushed out early. Will wait till it's $10 on Steam.

Ah, the time we live in - where a majority 8/9/above-average game is treated like bargain-tier rubbish.

I get the disappointment that it's not a good as it could/should be, but hyperbole works both ways.

The last two PC's I bought were supposed to be quiet, but when I got them I was disappointed on how loud they were.

Depends upon your budget and expectations - when I had a desktop, I had a NZXT Phantom 530 case with 3 case fans and an Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme CPU cooler, and the loudest thing in my case was the 970gtx (which I could only hear when I was gaming). But that case alone was £100, so... Laptops are generally pretty quiet now (my wife's is very quiet), but the trade-off is the not-meant-for-gaming lower specs. If you're wanting in-depth help, you could nip over to the new PC thread, tell them how much you're willing to spend, and they can show you the best/quietest bang for your buck. :)

Monooboe

I did build a PC that was completely quiet. I think the biggest part was skipping harddrives and only using a SSD. But yeah there are cases and part that are maybe not totally quiet but enough that you have hard time hearing.

jshackles

honestly even if the new sprites suck i think just slapping the old ones over the new background graphics looks pretty bad as well

it's a heck of an effort for the modders, but it's still such a painful way to play that game

square really blew it with ff6 lol

just play it on emulator

For me personally, I know there is quite a bit of nostalgia that drives the experience of having the old sprites. While I agree that it's not the ultimate ideal solution to simply uprez the existing blocky sprites and put them in the game, I personally think it's an improvement.

The problem with playing the game on an emulator is that there isn't really a good solution for that either. The SNES version of the game has a horrible script translation, and the GBA version has sound issues. The PS1 release has a few cut scenes but otherwise is identical to the SNES version but with much worse loading times.

As I mentioned, the PC version has a lot going for it with the exception of the battle UI and character sprites. I think that eventually this could be the "definitive" version of the game.

Tizoc

It's OK if you're too broke or cheap to join us cool kids chomping down on chocolate bars to go on sucker punching people to save mankind and whatever.
deus-ex-o0oil7.gif

We won't judge~

Bonus, Adam Jensen Bitch Slapping people
tumblr_lrmb8cxkIM1qfo50do1_400.gif

Laptops are loud under load. Get a Fractal Design case.

Adnor

Banned
Tried a little of Enderal and goddamn, did Skyrim have no low-level enemy variation at all? All I've seen have been spiders, dogs, spiders, some humans, some trolls and more spiders.

Seriously, why do fantasy authors love giant spiders?

jshackles

Ah, that's better

Gonna submit these to the guy running the project

zkylon

zkylewd
For me personally, I know there is quite a bit of nostalgia that drives the experience of having the old sprites. While I agree that it's not the ultimate ideal solution to simply uprez the existing blocky sprites and put them in the game, I personally think it's an improvement.

The problem with playing the game on an emulator is that there isn't really a good solution for that either. The SNES version of the game has a horrible script translation, and the GBA version has sound issues. The PS1 release has a few cut scenes but otherwise is identical to the SNES version but with much worse loading times.

As I mentioned, the PC version has a lot going for it with the exception of the battle UI and character sprites. I think that eventually this could be the "definitive" version of the game.
hmm, yeah, i guess those details make it interesting at least

personally i think a good artist could just draw some better high res sprites that mesh with the game better, as well as a better ui design

that'd be nice, but also it's kind of a bummer to have to fix square's mess

Less than 30 minutes left.

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ramoisdead, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chariot -- MB-50FB654EB9EFC128 - Taken by Jadax. 2 entrants total.
There Came An Echo -- MB-AE1675D0CCE08B97 - Taken by Costa1774. 3 entrants total.
Skullgirls -- MB-3381C6A472213F11 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 5 entrants total.
Lethal League -- MB-F7678A3518D9CD13 - Taken by Platy. 4 entrants total.
Shadowrun Returns -- MB-19D0868B125E8AD2 - Taken by fuzzy123. 4 entrants total.
The Marvelous Miss Take -- MB-D5A0C5578889C172 - Taken by Delicious Waffles. 8 entrants total.

t1471761120z1.png

Monooboe

Oh wow, the pre-lastboss in Axiom Verge is quite irritating! Also not having the save room close as usually makes it worse. The problem with me is that I get way to angry at irritating stuff where I have to retry often.

Otherwise, great game.:D

EDIT: Aaah got him, read a good tip
to keep costantly teleporting through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom