• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict

I have nxzt hush case and had a fanless 9600gt before I switched it to a 460gt a couple of years back.
Will check out the PC build thread. Been meaning to get a new PC the last three years...

Are today's PC's able to be quiet?
The last two PC's I bought were supposed to be quiet, but when I got them I was disappointed on how loud they were.
If I get a new desktop PC, what should I think of?
Or should I get a laptop since they are quieter? Budget is quite limited.

Do you want a PC that is pretty quite or do you want a rig that is completely silent? The latter is pretty hard without going for purely ssd's and such.
I recently built a new PC where i used a fractal design define r5 case. The case has a thick layer of isolation on the inside that keeps it quite. I also put in a 1070 from MSI where the fans only spin during load and i have never had a PC that was this quite. I can barely hear it when its idle and its still really quite during load.
That being said i usually play games with headphones on and the PC is right next to a window that is open most of the time so the sounds coming from outside might mask most of the sound coming form the PC.

So if you want a quite PC you should look at the cases that provide some sort of sound isolation. You should also try to get a GPU that stays silent during low-load situations but that might be a bit harder on a budget.

The last two PC's I bought were supposed to be quiet, but when I got them I was disappointed on how loud they were.
Can you identify what part was making the most noise? Was it constantly the same or louder when gaming? What GPU and brand is it? A blower gpu cooler will be much more noisy than an open multi-fan design.

If you look up "PC fan shootout" you'll get dozens of fans compared all with noise level included. I use a fan controller and turn all case fans to minimum when not gaming. Fractal has cases designed for quiet too. There are some options.

I have a SSD and now it surprises me how I can clearly hear the HDD spin up when I access it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You're good. It's the final release. Dev will he updating the game with new heroes post-launch though

Yay...except for the release date lol (and honestly the price). But good to know for the future.

orochi91

I recently swapped out my NZXT 630 for a Corsair Carbide 330R.

The 630 is fairly versatile case designed for high performance gaming, but that resulted in having an "open" design for copious ventilation, hence the occasional sound leak when the fan speeds are increased due to demanding software.

I opted to sacrifice some of the cooling potential for a relatively soundproof case, hence the Carbide 330R; I should note that these aren't pre-built PCs.

If you're gonna buy a pre-built unit, then be sure to see if it has any soundproofing options/designs.

Mivey

Look into liquid cooling, nothing can be quieter. There are closed-system solutions that you can basically connect like lego pieces without having to actually ever get your hands dirty. Of course, all these are usually after market coolers so they might be more expensive.

Look into liquid cooling, nothing can be quieter. There are closed-system solutions that you can basically connect like lego pieces without having to actually ever get your hands dirty. Of course, all these are usually after market coolers so they might be more expensive.
Liquid cooling is not necessarily quieter, you have to take the fan(s) and pump into account. Good CPU tower cooler trumps all.

Liquid cooling is not necessarily quieter, you have to take the fan(s) and pump into account. Good CPU tower cooler trumps all.
It really depends. My H100i is infinitely quieter than my hyper 212 ever was. Even at the silent mode, it's heads and shoulders better than the 212 was at cooling, by almost 20ºc.

Knurek

That's your problem here, buying pre-built computers.
Only thing that's above background noise in my computer (at idle!) are the magnetic drives.
Just invest in a good CPU cooler (BeQuiet get's my vote), GPU that's semi-passive cooled and a good case with quiet fans, no need for liquid cooling here.

You are comparing a high end liquid cooler with an entry level air cooler, of course you won't get a fair fight.

Here's NH-D15 vs other coolers in noise performance
Temperatures
OH. brazil pricing fucked me when it comes to understanding cooler tiers. i always thought the 212 was a mid to high "miracle" cooler. sorry :p

If someone is very picky about noise, there's also this:

Thermalright's passive cooler, no fan required.
HR22%20top45.jpg
...huh, interesting idea, to use the back cooler. nice results too.

Benedict

That's your problem here, buying pre-built computers.
Only thing that's above background noise in my computer (at idle!) are the magnetic drives.
Just invest in a good CPU cooler (BeQuiet get's my vote), GPU that's semi-passive cooled and a good case with quiet fans, no need for liquid cooling here.

Thank's for all the advice, I'll check it out.
Well the PCs where the kind where could choose most of your parts and the store (Komplett) built it for you, so it was not completely prebuilt.
I tried to choose parts that was supposed to be quiet.

Won't clutter the thread with more of my PC dreams. :)
Thanks again for all the input.

Edit: I should mention that the current PC is from the beginning of 2009... Since then I switched some fans. new gpu (460gtx), added RAM and an SSD.

Wok

Ucchedavāda;214374288 said:
Just finished The Eyes of Ara, after about 11.5 hours.
The Eyes of Ara is a very enjoyable 'Room Escape' game, that Wok kindly suggested to me. However, while I did enjoy the game, it suffered from a rather unwieldy control-scheme, had a few puzzles that got a bit obtuse towards the end, in part due to poor feedback, and relied a bit too much on pixel hunting at times. However, most of the puzzles were pretty well designed, and I had a lot of fun beating my head against these, with not infrequent moments of sudden realization. The game was also split into self-contained areas (corresponding to chapters in the plot), so that you rarely had to walk far to solve a puzzle. A definite plus in my book.

There are also bunch of collectibles, of which I got about 80%. However, while the game does allow you to continue to hunt for them after finishing the plot-line, I really doesn't feel like pixel hunting, for now.

All in all, I'd recommend this to anyone who are looking for something after beating The Room, and anyone who just enjoys good puzzles.

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad you liked it too!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So for Dead Rising ranking it's

1 > 2 > 3 right

PS4/X1 version is coming in 10 days, they probably don't want people to buy a PC version on sale.

Then they'll get even more sales when people double dip when that texture mod comes out.

oh there's another port? Didn't know

Just had a guy from Pakistan add me and he's now quizzing me about cricket! Then someone else from Pakistan added me, both are really low level and have played the same free/cheap games about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure the scam is coming, but I'm interested to find out what this Cricket scam is!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-88EB830564707C34 - Taken by Haunted

Haunted

Wanted to spread the digital love a bit and checked out the Nintendo eshop.

Man, Steam and the whole PC ecosystem has fucking spoiled me. UI, selection, prices, sales, everything's just so bad and unappealing in comparison. Debated giving the NES Remix games a shot (SNES Remix, when?), but they're still launch price even though they came out years ago, so fuck that.

Just had a guy from Pakistan add me and he's now quizzing me about cricket! Then someone else from Pakistan added me, both are really low level and have played the same free/cheap games about 2 weeks ago. I'm sure the scam is coming, but I'm interested to find out what this Cricket scam is!
playing with fire

edit: Mystery Gift was some sort of Mystery DLC to a base game I don't own!

KX7IZ-EPE54-8NIF4

Wanted to spread the digital love a bit and checked out the Nintendo eshop.

Man, Steam and the whole PC ecosystem has fucking spoiled me. UI, selection, prices, sales, everything's just so bad and unappealing in comparison. Debated giving the NES Remix games a shot (SNES Remix, when?), but they're still launch price even though they came out years ago, so fuck that.

playing with fire

edit: Mystery Gift was some sort of Mystery DLC to a base game I don't own!

KX7IZ-EPE54-8NIF4

Don't own the base game either!

Got bored of the quiz so I started quizzing them and they insisted I had no idea what I was talking about. If there is any subject on the planet I know more about than 99.9% of the planet it's cricket!

Blocked both.

Uzzy

They're just looking for someone to play silly point.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Should say Tendulkar is the greatest Cricket player of all time. You'll know if they are from Pakistan then.

Uzzy

Should say Tendulkar is the greatest Cricket player of all time. You'll know if they are from Pakistan then.

This is the best idea. Just know that Bradman is the greatest cricket player of all time, and that you're lying to expose a scam.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-C5ABC6AED9AD1F98 - Taken by dimmer

This is the best idea. Just know that Bradman is the greatest cricket player of all time, and that you're lying to expose a scam.

That was the first question they asked! Thought about saying Tendulkar or possibly Merv Hughes just to see what would happen.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Coma: Mortuary -- MB-E3221E81C38CFEFC - Taken by fuzzy123
ASMR Universe -- MB-53FF043DFFAC2E85 - Taken by Purkake4
Survivalist -- MB-8DDF270885407CAD - Taken by Hakkelus
Habitus -- MB-AB84A5A29CA8F4F4 - Taken by lindarasta
Cavernus -- MB-519FA8B73890362A - Taken by voodooray

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Uzzy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uzzy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided -- MB-A2AE18273867F8B0 - Taken by Uraizen. 103 entrants total.
Farcry 3 Blood Dragon -- MB-DA4816A21872A8BD - Taken by KenOD. 30 entrants total.
Binary Domain -- MB-1F14AACD527207E4 - Taken by Kudo. 7 entrants total.
Shadowrun Hong Kong -- MB-8AEA36AF24E695C1 - Taken by ramoisdead. 56 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Remember Me -- MB-0D568DCDB4B486B3 - Taken by Jalal. 15 entrants total.

t1471775884z1.png

Arthea

the same reason people don't want timers, health items, inventory management or any semblance of risk/difficulty/tension in games like Dead Rising and just "want to kill lots of zombies hurr hurr"

they want content tourism and nothing else

I don't see anything wrong with that, like every story heavy game should have waltz through the game difficulty mode, and challenge mode for those who want it. People understand games and fun in very different ways, difficulty modes can accommodate all views, or almost all anyway.
You say like it is some kind of wrong way to play games, it isn't. Cheating otoh is wrong.

spoken like a true timers hater, right?

I got 4 of those today (all lvl 1 not 0), added none
but yeah, something isn't right

Uzzy

That was the first question they asked! Thought about saying Tendulkar or possibly Merv Hughes just to see what would happen.

So which answer did you give?

Like comparing Gandhi and Mandela.

True enough, the era's are very different. 99.94 still wins that debate for me.

Anyway, I wonder who's going to wake up with a nice copy of Mankind Divided. I hope the game actually works for them!

I really don't get why people still buy season passes. 9/10 times the content is nowhere near the cost, and the season passes or individual DLC are always on sale later in big ways.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending season passes but there are some issues with this approach. Firstly, season passes and DLC in general do not go on sale 'in big ways' for the most part. Season passes typically don't get discounted at all until all their content is out (which is months after the game released), and when they do get discounted it never quite matches the discount that the base game gets. In fact, in the recent past we've all seen several cases where buying the GOTY edition of a game in a sale is cheaper than buying the DLC alone. Secondly, interest in a game wanes over time. For example, I played The Missing Link DLC for DXHR over a year after finishing the game, and while the DLC was okay, I did not get any references to the events of the main story because I had completely forgotten what was supposed to be happening in the story at that point. As another example, I still haven't played the DLCs for Dishonored or Witcher 3 yet despite loving both those games to bits. There's just so much other stuff on my plate that going back to older games seems harder than it needs to be.

Again, none of this is to argue that season passes are good. I agree with your assertion that 9/10 times the content is not worth the price. Just pointing out that there are specific cases where having access to the DLC on time is desirable.

Sad to hear about only one true city hub in Mankind Divided. Between that and cut content, I'd love to know what happened.

I found out about this yesterday and I have to admit, it bothers me more than I thought it would. Globetrotting seems to be such a big part of the Deus Ex experience. Who can forget the first time they saw Heng Sha or Panchaea in DXHR? Or going from New York to Hong Kong to Paris in the first one. This game being set entirely in Prague is a step back for sure.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge already or not but a friend Google translated some Japanese article and did some regional price conversion and figured out that Stein's Gate will cost $35 with a launch week discount of 15%, bringing it down to about $30. I wonder how many people will say that it's too expensive for an X year old game which already has a PC version.

Also, this really bugs me.

That one DLC is not included in the complete bundle, released at the same time as all the others and never gets discounted. Capcpom!

Arthea

It looks like that another Platinum Developed game is coming to PC.

Platinum Games working on a Granblue game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-K5n1sbdrQ

colour me interested

that engine looks mighty familiar tho, and not in a good way

The mystery gift was DLC that I cannot redeem. Try for yourself, maybe you have the base game.

kry

tried it and it redeemed, it was Winter's Gasp Pack, whatever that is, no clue

edited: it's Forge of Gods dlc. Thanks, mystery person

Mivey

Just read on the NMS thread that even the most basic tech, the procedurally generated continous universe, is totally fake. I mean, even the original Elite could do that back in the 80ies, but NMS is basically just giving you a solar box with a few planets in it (you can't even reach the sun in it, it doesn't exist) and every time you "jump" in hyperspace you just get a new box.

Wow, this totally kills any interest I had in the game. I mean, there is this nice indie game, Limit Theory, developed by exactly one guy, which has a continous solar space, maybe even beyond that. Man, I feel like the comparisons with Molyneux are unfair at this point, Molyneux only lied about details not about things this magnitude.

Ludens

Banned
Than Mankind Divided Season Pass is even worse than Arkham Knight one. I'm curious to see how long those 2 additional missions are, but even if they add another 6 hours, for sure they are not worth 30€.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just read on the NMS thread that even the most basic tech, the procedurally generated continous universe, is totally fake. I mean, even the original Elite could do that back in the 80ies, but NMS is basically just giving you a solar box with a few planets in it (you can't even reach the sun in it, it doesn't exist) and every time you "jump" in hyperspace you just get a new box.

Wow, this totally kills any interest I had in the game. I mean, there is this nice indie game, Limit Theory, developed by exactly one guy, which has a continous solar space, maybe even beyond that. Man, I feel like the comparisons with Molyneux are unfair at this point, Molyneux only lied about details not about things this magnitude.
Hello Games is a scummy company. I'm going to be vilified for saying it but if it were EA or whatever pulling this nonsense, there would be less defenders. I am quite upset NMS seems to be a commercial success. It doesn't deserve it and only encourages poor industry practices.

Then you have unique, fun, and pioneering games like Limit Theory being overshadowed. Shame. Those guys deserve some love.

AHA-Lambda

Hello Games is a scummy company. I'm going to be vilified for saying it but if it were EA or whatever pulling this nonsense, there would be less defenders. I am quite upset NMS seems to be a commercial success. It doesn't deserve it and only encourages poor industry practices.

Then you have unique, fun, and pioneering games like Limit Theory being overshadowed. Shame. Those guys deserve some love.

*cough**cough*

My parents were murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Coreda

Wow, this totally kills any interest I had in the game. I mean, there is this nice indie game, Limit Theory, developed by exactly one guy, which has a continous solar space, maybe even beyond that.

Been keeping an eye off and on Limit Theory's dev vlogs for a few years. Hope it comes to fruition. Last one I watched he had been on a break due to a motivational difficulties (?), can't remember exactly.

Well for one the finished game isn't out yet, but yeah certainly one received far more attention earlier in its development though to be fair it seemed NMS was further along at the time.

kagamin

I'll get around to getting the Stalker games eventually, in the meantime any mod recommendations that I can put down in a notepad entry?

Pixieking

Banned
Than Mankind Divided Season Pass is even worse than Arkham Knight one. I'm curious to see how long those 2 additional missions are, but even if they add another 6 hours, for sure they are not worth 30€.

Mehhh, it's a bit underwhelming, but if they're a decent quality, then the price was perfect for me, so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth. :D (I ended-up paying £47 for the digital deluxe edition, after cancelling my standard edition Steam preorder of £40, so the Season Pass effectively cost me £7).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom