• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

Thank you for contacting us. Due to high traffic the waiting time might be a little longer than usual.

You are number 41 in queue.

Your waiting time will be approximately 86 minute(s).

The Steam Servers are experiencing some heavy load right now. We are terribly sorry to inform that it may cause some delays in delivery of the ordered skins. The delay should not exceed 24h. For more information, please visit www.steamstat.us .Thank you for your patience.

what does steam servers has to do with kinguin orders???

also,86 minutes? it's like i am on telephone line waiting.

Anyone play Syndicate, the cyberpunk game? I remember the feedback on the assault rifle looking and sounding particularly awesome.

Worth a pick up?

Tizoc

No worries, just exploiting their promotion, just the way they deserve.

On a side note, just got DOOM for 28€, which is pretty good I think. I'm not even into FPS all that much but that topic in Gaming finally made me try the demo and damn, is this fun. Really looking forward to play once that huge-ass download finishes...
Its great
Tho it starts slow it picks up from chaptet 2 onwards

Tellaerin

Wow, so many G2A aka Kinguin users in this thread!

So yeah, about that. I tried this free promo thing. Key source for my order was actually listed as G2A at the checkout. I ended up with five keys for what had been freebies handed out by the (recently-hacked) dlh.net. Guess that says it all.

Shame the game was practically abandoned, to the point where the developers had to publicly apologise and seemingly claim they indeed were abandoning it

It's a real shame that it was abandoned because, despite missing some gameplay elements from 2, it was very enjoyable. I loved 1 and 2 so seeing Frozenbyte develop different games that aren't as good or well received, while leaving 3 unfinished, makes it even worse. Trine 3 was actually one of my most anticipated games last year :(

Arthea

So yeah, about that. I tried this free promo thing. Key source for my order was actually listed as G2A at the checkout. I ended up with five keys for what had been freebies handed out by the (recently-hacked) dlh.net. Guess that says it all.

indeed it does

tbh, dlh never looked that reliable to me to being with, but that's another story

Have you played it?

The graphic looks disappointing, but I still found the game satisfying to play
i did. finished it, even the Ray DLC too.
the level design is awful, and the idea of random life tanks is ridiculous too.
It's like, the base gameplay has potential, but some designs and decisions are just really bad.

Ludens

Banned
Yep, sounds like a Tales game. I never understood why they took off in popularity.

I reached the peak. A garbage water temple in which I NEED to go stealth otherwise if some eyes on the wall see me, I need to start from the beginning. In the middle I need to find some chests with some poems, but they close again when I open them, so I can't track which chest I checked. And the level is maze-like and there are random encounters in the middle. What a garbage, I'm so frustrated right now.

Monooboe

I was aiming for 100% Doom achievements until I noticed Bethesda crapped out DLC exclusive achievements.

Yeah, no.

Yeah stuff like that should be against Steam code of conduct or something. I had 100% on Doom, and then they patched it out and I'm not buying DLC to just get to 100% again.

rtcn63

Once you've played one Tales game, you've pretty much played them all. Mine was Abyss and barring the insane amount of backtracking mid-game onward, I liked the characters for the most part.

Star Ocean definitely has the better 3D battle system though.

I reached the peak. A garbage water temple in which I NEED to go stealth otherwise if some eyes on the wall see me, I need to start from the beginning. In the middle I need to find some chests with some poems, but they close again when I open them, so I can't track which chest I checked. And the level is maze-like and there are random encounters in the middle. What a garbage, I'm so frustrated right now.

you can quicksave when you reach a new place so if you make a mistake simply reload

Mivey

Wow, so many G2A aka Kinguin users in this thread!
Come down from your high horse. People who steal other people's credit cards have to eat too. I mean, sure, they could stop being criminals and start living honest lives and work, but I don't think we should impose our morals ( and laws ) on everyone.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was aiming for 100% Doom achievements until I noticed Bethesda crapped out DLC exclusive achievements.

Yeah, no.

Between that and multiplayer achievements I'm like...

rmdSx.gif

rtcn63

iain't nobody got ammos for this fatty

dude is running out of breath every 3 steps too omg

Dude's probably a lifelong smoker. He pulls out cigs at one point I think.

Also it would've been hilarious if maxing out your sprint stat caused *CONSTANTINE MOVIE ENDING*.

Anyone play Syndicate, the cyberpunk game? I remember the feedback on the assault rifle looking and sounding particularly awesome.

Worth a pick up?
It's basically a poor man's Deus Ex. The weapon and abilities are fun enough and the cyberpunk atmosphere is good. But it has the same shitty boss battle design as Deus Ex, the characters and story are flat, the enemies aren't particularly interesting, and it's mostly a corridor shooter.

It's like if the makers of CoD(well, one of them) made a cyberpunk game. You probably just play it for the action.

rtcn63

Worth a pick up?

I had to stop early on because the bosses were so bullet sponge-y. The campaign was designed around co-op, and I'm not sure if you can even complete it alone without going nuts.

Here we go, your impressions for Metro 2033 (the original:)

The story: You play Artyom, a 20-year-old Russian in a post-nuclear society that lives in the subway system. Each station is its own society, and each seems to have its own problems (communism and fascism have overtaken some, for example,) and they're all plagued with mutants of various kinds. Your home station's particular problem are known as the Dark Ones, who appear to destroy the minds of their enemies, leaving them insane until it breaks them down into physical death. Your mission is to get help from the Rangers in another station far away. But it's not gonna be easy.

The story itself is great, as is the atmosphere, both underground and on the blasted surface. I only wish that the game didn't make you feel so rushed. (As it turns out, my initial idea to not rush was the correct one because there's a second ending for doing certain out-of-the-way things. Which I didn't do enough of because I was indeed rushing and only got the one option.) It's probably the first game that makes me want to delve into the source material. So big bonus for that. I especially liked how the currency is military-grade ammo, because it's something that's actually useful for survival in a monster-ridden land.

The gameplay: As I said in a previous post, this game isn't exactly sure what it wants to be. Stealth FPS? Action FPS? Both? Neither? You can try to sneak around but if you fuck up, the enemies DO NOT STOP until they've killed you or you've killed them all. None of this "oh, guess it was nothing." Nuh-uh. They went full realist on this one, which...doesn't make for great gameplay, especially since there's no manual saving. You can actually walk into an ambush and trigger the autosave, and the only way out of it is to load a game from a previous chapter.

And that's another thing: the achievements are kind of all over the place. "Kill nobody on this chapter." "Kill EVERYBODY on this chapter." Now, I could forgive this *IF* you were allowed to replay a chapter at will. But you're not. Want to replay chapter 4, then go back to chapter 7? Better be ready to replay chapters 5 and 6, because it basically overwrites your progress. I guess the only way to try for those achievements is to finish the game, then play the chapters in reverse order. Which is silly. This is one of the few games where I finished it, and then just want to say "fuck it" to the other achievements. And that's rare for me.

Finally, the weapon system. You can have five different types of weapon at a time: knives/throwing knives, a revolver, an assault rifle, a shotgun, and grenades/sticky grenades. So far so good, right? When you go to the markets, you only have the vendor to tell you that this gun is better than yours, but it doesn't say HOW. When you find a weapon on a corpse and have the option to switch out, you have to do it by sight. "Does this weapon look better than mine? I dunno." And the only way to really test it is to find some monsters and count bullets or something. Some info would have been useful, like "power, firing rate, reloading time" etc. so I could really tailor it to my playstyle.

The audio and dialogue: Going along with the story, the dialogue is pretty good, even though the soldiers - and the situations - tend to get a bit repetitive. "Shit! It's monsters! Shit! This door won't open! Shit! This machinery doesn't work!" At one point, I actually heard a "Blyat!" for flavour. And you get a few soldier tropes as well - guy who won't stop cracking jokes, optimistic guy who's looking forward to the future so you just KNOW he's gonna bite it near the end, smart guy who's useless in a fight - but, you know, tropes aren't an inherently bad thing. They made it work.

The graphics:I'm not a huge stickler for graphics. They did their job here. I could see the way they were tying the graphics into the feel of an area - the stark white of the snow and the Fallout-like rubble on the surface, the dingy stations compared to the bright lights of Polis station to show the contrast between the "rich" station and the "poor" ones (again, something that was explored in Fallout New Vegas,) and the look of the various mutants was a good mix of "monster" and "was this a human once?" I heard the Redux version was even better, but again, can't speak to that.

The length: Apparently it took me 13 hours to finish. But some of that was going back to avoid inescapable-death checkpoints. So if you play it well, more like 10-12.

The verdict: I liked the story a lot. I liked the atmosphere a lot. If you're willing to overlook irritations in the gameplay to enjoy the game's story, I recommend it. If you're a "gameplay over story" type of person, you might be able to give this a pass or at least check out if Redux is better.

Hektor

It's probably the first game that makes me want to delve into the source material. So big bonus for that.

The book is really great. As someone who's read the book before the game came out, i was pretty disappointed by the game in that regard even, since it tells you much more about the societys and cultures of the Metro than the game does.

I'd definitely recommend it. Metro 2034 maybe not so much.

Backlogger

I had to stop early on because the bosses were so bullet sponge-y. The campaign was designed around co-op, and I'm not sure if you can even complete it alone without going nuts.

The newer version? I thought it was pretty easy. I beat it last month. Can't remember the difficulty but it think I only had a hard time with one boss but even that only took a few tries

rtcn63

The newer version? I thought it was pretty easy. I beat it last month. Can't remember the difficulty but it think I only had a hard time with one boss but even that only took a few tries

Maybe I was just shit at the game I don't deny this possibility. Although I may have had it on hard for some reason.

I tried Metro 2033 a little while back as well. I made it an hour in before I uninstalled it. That sort of inventory management is just not for me.

Inventory management as in "which weapon is best?" or as in "there's limited ammo and I might have to knife some monsters now?" Because if it's the latter, I heard Redux is more generous with finding ammo.

The book is really great. As someone who's read the book before the game came out, i was pretty disappointed by the game in that regard even, since it tells you much more about the societys and cultures of the Metro than the game does.

I'd definitely recommend it. Metro 2034 maybe not so much.

I was interested but think I avoided the book because it was written in a different language.

Buuut then I read all of the Witcher books, including the ones that were only out in fan translations at the time. Maybe I should revisit Metro.

Ascheroth

It is now less then 9 days until God Eater releases.
Soon it will only be a week.
We're getting there.

Also important reminder that the Steam forums are garbage. Ugh. Was checking the God Eater forums out the last couple days and there's everything from dozens of the typical 'no japanese voices no buy' threads (even though you can bet they're going to get modded in in the first few days after release anyway like it always happens), cries about censorship (even though the only thing that got censored was apparently a bit less blood), complaints about the price (because 50€ for a new game + remaster of older game where both have content for 100+ hours) is overpriced and so on.
Ughh.

----
In other news, I played Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Got it gifted a while ago and finally gave it a try (was reluctant because the only other Metal Gear game I've played is Rising (which is awesome, but not representative)).

Well, as expected I had no clue who anyone was, what I was doing and why I was doing it.
But the gameplay is sublime. Sneaking around, stealthily taking out enemies, etc is just so much fun with the tools you have. I especially really like that you can question enemies and they update your map with useful information. Great stuff.
Will definitely play the side missions and replay the main one a few times.

But I probably won't get Phantom Pain anytime soon. Not knowing what the hell is happening is fine for a short 'demo' game, but I'd rather play the others before that one
(if Konami ever makes some cashgrab remasters and brings them on PC as well, I'm not in a rush ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Blu(e)

Speaking of God Eater, are there any websites with a good pre-order discount for it? I'm curious about trying it but getting it for a bit cheaper would be cool.

Tizoc

Well I guess I must have been yeah? Cos I've never heard of it

EDIT: actually hold on, why on earth would I even know about mobile games that are popular in Japan?

General gaming knowledge? I mean heck I don't follow Mobile Japanese gaming much myself but I know about Granblue and KanColle.
It just comes with being a Video Game nerd.

Parsnip

Fired up Dark Souls 2 vanilla edition since I never got all the achievements out of it. Looks like I gotta grind some covenant shit.

Feels weird to go back to a game where poise works.
Also I actually never went to ng+ and beyond in this one or the scholar edition, huh.

General gaming knowledge? I mean heck I don't follow Mobile Japanese gaming much myself but I know about Granblue and KanColle.
It just comes with being a Video Game nerd.
I don't think either of those count as "general gaming knowledge".

Ascheroth

Speaking of God Eater, are there any websites with a good pre-order discount for it? I'm curious about trying it but getting it for a bit cheaper would be cool.

DLGamer had it for -20% for a while, but it's now at -16%. Gamesplanet has it for -15% as well.
Keep in mind that you won't be able to refund though. (Not that it looks like it's going to be a shit port, but still).

ArjanN

Between that and multiplayer achievements I'm like...

rmdSx.gif

Well, the MP ones that came with the base game were super easy, just play a couple of MP games and you had them. These new ones annoy me because they're such a blatant, "hey buy our season pass" thing, and it doesn't help that the season pass is all stuff for the multiplayer which admittedly isn't horrible, but not really what anyone is there for.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Boulder Dash 30th anniverary :eek:

loved that game when I was a kid... fuck im old

rtcn63

Do those FB 5% CDkeys codes only work on your first purchase? I coulda swore I've read people saying that they use the FB code generator over and over.

Corpekata

Banned
Midnight releases sometimes don't update until very close to release. Given it's the weekend I wouldn't give up hope until midday tomorrow when it's likely someone from Square will clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom