• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Persona 5, Yakuza 0 and Horizon all releasing in february, of course Nier had to join them.
It's very rare for me to buy a game day 1 but P5 is one of my most anticipated games ever and I absolutely have to support Nier and Yakuza.
Guess I'll have to drop Horizon but I still don't know if I'll be able to afford the other 3. At least with Nier coming to PC it will be cheaper than buying on PS4.

yuraya

Fired up Dark Souls 2 vanilla edition since I never got all the achievements out of it. Looks like I gotta grind some covenant shit.

Feels weird to go back to a game where poise works.
Also I actually never went to ng+ and beyond in this one or the scholar edition, huh.

One of the miracle/spell achievements require like NG+2 in that game iirc.

rtcn63

I'm already getting buyer's remorse but whatever I got shit to play but Hitman and Ratchet & Clank. I'm sure you can beat TEW in 10 hours just gotta hope MD's 10 aren't shit.

Eila

It is now less then 9 days until God Eater releases.
Soon it will only be a week.
We're getting there.

Also important reminder that the Steam forums are garbage. Ugh. Was checking the God Eater forums out the last couple days and there's everything from dozens of the typical 'no japanese voices no buy' threads (even though you can bet they're going to get modded in in the first few days after release anyway like it always happens), cries about censorship (even though the only thing that got censored was apparently a bit less blood), complaints about the price (because 50€ for a new game + remaster of older game where both have content for 100+ hours) is overpriced and so on.
Ughh.

Hmm not sure about the japanese voice track being modded in. It worked for FFX because it was being sold in Japan with the Japanese voice track, but God Eater, while being sold in Japan, doesn't seem to include japanese audio or text option.

Is God Eater actually good? I was interested but when I saw some video on youtube I don't know, it gave me a strange feeling. Like the empty world and the combat that seemed repetitive?

L.O.R.D

just tried the discount code and it didn't work,i think they canceled my order after seeing too many people buying the same thing.
even in new account.
welp,it's better that way.

Accoun

Fucking S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

This time I'm in the X-18 lab. Yes, I was pretty scared the whole time and I got to the moment when
the army comes in
and... the game crashed. Restarted it and loaded up the last save. I was in the beginning of the lab. Tried to manually load the quicksave and it crashes again. Looks like it got corrupted and I have to repeat what is supposedly one of the scariest locations in the series.

G fucking G.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is God Eater actually good? I was interested but when I saw some video on youtube I don't know, it gave me a strange feeling. Like the empty world and the combat that seemed repetitive?

Do you enjoy PSO-clones? If yes: buy it.
If no: Don't buy it.
---

IN OTHER NEWS:

Biohazard: Umbomba Corps has to be the wettest of wet farts to ever have had a free weekend on Steam. Just look at that 2 day minimal spike and then the quick collapse.

Ascheroth

Hmm not sure about the japanese voice track being modded in. It worked for FFX because it was being sold in Japan with the Japanese voice track, but God Eater, while being sold in Japan, doesn't seem to include japanese audio or text option.

Someone is undubbing/has undubbed (not sure what the current progress is) the Vita version and that same person has said in the Steam forums that he's going to work on both Resurrection and Rage Burst PC.
Of course we'll have to see how that is going to turn out in the end, but I'm honestly pretty sure that it will be happening. I can't really think of a game that didn't get JP voices modded in if they were missing.
Though I personally don't mind it all that much. If it happens, great, if not, then not.

yuraya

Sony is going real crazy with all this hardware.

Vanilla PS4
Slim PS4
Neo
PSVR
And a possible new Vita as well

Playstation is a beast.

____

At least us PC gamers get some of their leftovers and scraps like PSNow. Its better than nothing I guess.

Kudo

Sony is going real crazy with all this hardware.

Vanilla PS4
Slim PS4
Neo
PSVR
And a possible new Vita as well

Playstation is a beast.
____

At least us PC gamers get some of their leftovers and scraps like PSNow. Its better than nothing I guess.

I think they'll stop producing OG PS4 when Slim hits the market, it'll still be available for a while though until they sell all leftover stock.

Ascheroth

It's a hunting game. Disclaimer: I've only played the PSP version a bit, so the following may be missing some stuff and may not be all that detailed. Feel free to correct me.

In a nutshell: You fight big monsters, get materials from them to craft stronger weapons and upgrades so that you can fight bigger monsters, repeat.

It plays different and faster then Monster Hunter. You have a 'living' transformable weapon, that has both a melee, range and shield form at all times. There are different weapon types in those categories that all play a bit differently.
A big focus of the game is bullet customization. You can create your own custom bullets to shoot (elements, laser/shot/homing, etc) and while I didn't dabble much in it I've heard/seen that you can create some crazy stuff there, like bullets that shoot bullets and so on.

Melee mode also allows you to 'devour' the enemy, which is literally your weapon taking a bite from them, which regenerates some of the energy you need to shoot bullets, gives you a special bullet depending on the enemy and triggers Burst mode, which makes you faster and stronger for a short while. The special bullet can be used for damage or shot into an ally to forcibly trigger Burst mode for them as well.
Talking about allies, the game allows up to 4 characters fighting together, either other players or AI (and the AI is pretty good).

The monsters have no health bars and attacking different parts does different amounts of damage (which is visually represented). Their are parts that you can 'break off'. It's all about learning the weaknesses and attack patterns off the monsters and preparing accordingly. There are also items like traps and grenades you can use.
Resurrection and Rage Burst have some more stuff in there but I have no idea what.

It also has a larger focus on story than Monster Hunter and personally I find the setting pretty interesting.

Graphically, well, it's a Vita/PS4 game that started out as a PSP game, so it's not going to be amazing on that front.

Here we go, your impressions for Metro 2033 (the original:)

The story: You play Artyom, a 20-year-old Russian in a post-nuclear society that lives in the subway system. Each station is its own society, and each seems to have its own problems (communism and fascism have overtaken some, for example,) and they're all plagued with mutants of various kinds. Your home station's particular problem are known as the Dark Ones, who appear to destroy the minds of their enemies, leaving them insane until it breaks them down into physical death. Your mission is to get help from the Rangers in another station far away. But it's not gonna be easy.

The story itself is great, as is the atmosphere, both underground and on the blasted surface. I only wish that the game didn't make you feel so rushed. (As it turns out, my initial idea to not rush was the correct one because there's a second ending for doing certain out-of-the-way things. Which I didn't do enough of because I was indeed rushing and only got the one option.) It's probably the first game that makes me want to delve into the source material. So big bonus for that. I especially liked how the currency is military-grade ammo, because it's something that's actually useful for survival in a monster-ridden land.

The gameplay: As I said in a previous post, this game isn't exactly sure what it wants to be. Stealth FPS? Action FPS? Both? Neither? You can try to sneak around but if you fuck up, the enemies DO NOT STOP until they've killed you or you've killed them all. None of this "oh, guess it was nothing." Nuh-uh. They went full realist on this one, which...doesn't make for great gameplay, especially since there's no manual saving. You can actually walk into an ambush and trigger the autosave, and the only way out of it is to load a game from a previous chapter.

And that's another thing: the achievements are kind of all over the place. "Kill nobody on this chapter." "Kill EVERYBODY on this chapter." Now, I could forgive this *IF* you were allowed to replay a chapter at will. But you're not. Want to replay chapter 4, then go back to chapter 7? Better be ready to replay chapters 5 and 6, because it basically overwrites your progress. I guess the only way to try for those achievements is to finish the game, then play the chapters in reverse order. Which is silly. This is one of the few games where I finished it, and then just want to say "fuck it" to the other achievements. And that's rare for me.

Finally, the weapon system. You can have five different types of weapon at a time: knives/throwing knives, a revolver, an assault rifle, a shotgun, and grenades/sticky grenades. So far so good, right? When you go to the markets, you only have the vendor to tell you that this gun is better than yours, but it doesn't say HOW. When you find a weapon on a corpse and have the option to switch out, you have to do it by sight. "Does this weapon look better than mine? I dunno." And the only way to really test it is to find some monsters and count bullets or something. Some info would have been useful, like "power, firing rate, reloading time" etc. so I could really tailor it to my playstyle.

The audio and dialogue: Going along with the story, the dialogue is pretty good, even though the soldiers - and the situations - tend to get a bit repetitive. "Shit! It's monsters! Shit! This door won't open! Shit! This machinery doesn't work!" At one point, I actually heard a "Blyat!" for flavour. And you get a few soldier tropes as well - guy who won't stop cracking jokes, optimistic guy who's looking forward to the future so you just KNOW he's gonna bite it near the end, smart guy who's useless in a fight - but, you know, tropes aren't an inherently bad thing. They made it work.

The graphics:I'm not a huge stickler for graphics. They did their job here. I could see the way they were tying the graphics into the feel of an area - the stark white of the snow and the Fallout-like rubble on the surface, the dingy stations compared to the bright lights of Polis station to show the contrast between the "rich" station and the "poor" ones (again, something that was explored in Fallout New Vegas,) and the look of the various mutants was a good mix of "monster" and "was this a human once?" I heard the Redux version was even better, but again, can't speak to that.

The length: Apparently it took me 13 hours to finish. But some of that was going back to avoid inescapable-death checkpoints. So if you play it well, more like 10-12.

The verdict: I liked the story a lot. I liked the atmosphere a lot. If you're willing to overlook irritations in the gameplay to enjoy the game's story, I recommend it. If you're a "gameplay over story" type of person, you might be able to give this a pass or at least check out if Redux is better.
I put it on hold after only 1-2 hours. The HUD was just too irritating and I did myself a disservice with hardest difficulty. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's a hunting game. Disclaimer: I've only played the PSP version a bit, so the following may be missing some stuff and may not be all that detailed. Feel free to correct me.

In a nutshell: You fight big monsters, get materials from them to craft stronger weapons and upgrades so that you can fight bigger monsters, repeat.

It plays different and faster then Monster Hunter. You have a 'living' transformable weapon, that has both a melee, range and shield form at all times. There are different weapon types in those categories that all play a bit differently.
A big focus of the game is bullet customization. You can create your own custom bullets to shoot (elements, laser/shot/homing, etc) and while I didn't dabble much in it I've heard/seen that you can create some crazy stuff there, like bullets that shoot bullets and so on.

Melee mode also allows you to 'devour' the enemy, which is literally your weapon taking a bite from them, which regenerates some of the energy you need to shoot bullets, gives you a special bullet depending on the enemy and triggers Burst mode, which makes you faster and stronger for a short while. The special bullet can be used for damage or shot into an ally to forcibly trigger Burst mode for them as well.
Talking about allies, the game allows up to 4 characters fighting together, either other players or AI (and the AI is pretty good).

The monsters have no health bars and attacking different parts does different amounts of damage (which is visually represented). Their are parts that you can 'break off'. It's all about learning the weaknesses and attack patterns off the monsters and preparing accordingly. There are also items like traps and grenades you can use.
Resurrection and Rage Burst have some more stuff in there but I have no idea what.

It also has a larger focus on story than Monster Hunter and personally I find the setting pretty interesting.

Graphically, well, it's a Vita/PS4 game that started out as a PSP game, so it's not going to be amazing on that front.
Sounds amazing, when is 2 due?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Here are my spares for Faeria in case you missed it. It goes free to play in a couple of days, so I'm guessing this counts as a +1.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (thesaucetastic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Faeria #2 -- MB-7E417483EE186ED5 - Taken by Salsa
Faeria #3 -- MB-530C9120015A930E - Taken by fifasnipe2224
Faeria #4 -- MB-D0618EB8C8E6BFA7 - Taken by trailmix16
Faeria -- MB-90F47B79B3BBA344 - Taken by Belgarion

faeria is pretty fun
It def is.

I bought No Man's Sky again after getting a refund for it, what the hell is wrong with me.

I have a friend who did this and another who is considering it. What are you guys thinking lol.

I suppose I don't get to point fingers. I constantly bitch about the game but I'm still trying to get to the centre of the universe to see what the big deal is.

I have a friend who did this and another who is considering it. What are you guys thinking lol.

I suppose I don't get to point fingers. I constantly bitch about the game but I'm still trying to get to the centre of the universe to see what the big deal is.

I don't know, I had the extra money in my Steam wallet and some of the mods I've seen look really nice.

preta

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 19 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (preta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Prophour23 -- MB-42B0BEF4194866A7 - Taken by Kifimbo
Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn -- MB-191F114591F59FF5 - Taken by freshVeggie
Better Late Than DEAD -- MB-A343B9EA8A98BF40 - Taken by drakaenae
Viscera Cleanup Detail -- MB-C65F9579CC3EA715 - Taken by Sammichu
Super Time Force Ultra -- MB-2B6275F8193FA71D - Taken by Hikami
One More Dungeon -- MB-578869A3073D5B51 - Taken by Snakethesniper
Runespell: Overture -- MB-4F5776D3973D061B - Taken by fuzzy123
Knights and Merchants -- MB-F75331723320E697 - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Eador: Genesis -- MB-5DF6988953834B13 - Taken by Costa1774
Blue Estate The Game -- MB-C0DBED71ACC05D7C - Taken by bloke
Reus -- MB-98E53696F6A5251D - Taken by lindarasta
Viscera Cleanup Detail House of Horror DLC -- MB-210D0245B731C9AD - Taken by Henry Swanson
War of the Human Tanks -- MB-24270626B3BCC3B6 - Taken by Sarcasm
Puzzle Kingdoms -- MB-8266A76D3A752DAB - Taken by Mikurden
Dead Effect 2 -- MB-2388E357207F6FB0 - Taken by redlacs
Z -- MB-36CC2CBADD7EAC67 - Taken by illusionary
Heroes of Annihilated Empires -- MB-22072CA577D09ABF - Taken by bigzgod
Jagged Alliance Back in Action -- MB-6F7C61350841F2E2 - Taken by WinterDemons
Hoard Complete Pack -- MB-0B78A66C8385F344 - Taken by data

Regginator

So I was playing a little Rocket League, minding my own business waiting for the new game to start, until suddenly when the match started my wired Xbox 360 controller doesn't work... It's blinking green from all four sides. I double-checked the driver and everything is p to date. What else can I do?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
So I was playing a little Rocket League, minding my own business waiting for the new game to start, until suddenly when the match started my wired Xbox 360 controller doesn't work... It's blinking green from all four sides. I double-checked the driver and everything is p to date. What else can I do?

I had the exact same thing happen to me years ago and I can't for the life of me remember what it was that I did to fix it. It was something...really dumb and simple. Like some sort of USB conflict where plugging it into a different slot worked. Or unplugging something else.

If you calibrate it, does it work fine? Detects stick movement and button presses?

Did you restart and plug/unplug?

Regginator

I had the exact same thing happen to me years ago and I can't for the life of me remember what it was that I did to fix it. It was something...really dumb and simple. Like some sort of USB conflict where plugging it into a different slot worked. Or unplugging something else.

If you calibrate it, does it work fine? Detects stick movement and button presses?

Did you restart and plug/unplug?

I've done both of that. I rebooted, hard rebooted, unplugging and then plugging again, both the usual slot and another one, but nothing. When I slot it in, usually I'd hear the usual connecting sound, but now it keeps silent and after 5 seconds it starts blinking green.

So it does seem to connect somehow (otherwise I think it wouldn't automatically blink after 5 seconds), but it doesn't work properly.

edit: When I type joy.cpl in command it doesn't list the controller, it does when it works.

Uzzy

This week is an important week, I'll have a thread up in 24 hours.

CqbH_djWYAAtaXJ.jpg

Huh. What.

Courage

Deus Ex: MD is gonna be my first major Steam release I'll be playing on release date. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're able to play the game early by using a VPN, switching regions and playing offline right? Are there any guides/resources that can help me in doing that or is it as simple as it sounds?

Deus Ex: MD is gonna be my first major Steam release I'll be playing on release date. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're able to play the game early by using a VPN, switching regions and playing offline right? Are there any guides/resources that can help me in doing that or is it as simple as it sounds?

That only applies to games that have different regional release dates. I believe that Deus Ex: MD has the same unlock time for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom