• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
"not in the top sellers list"

I think you guys overestimate how popular the average Koei Tecmo game is.

It's a very popular anime/manga. Everyone on my social media feeds talked about it a couple years ago. The memes are everywhere. I expect more attention from PC gamers due to those factors.

Edit: Apparently the game has jumped to 80% positive reviews now? Wut.

Popstar

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Galak-Z -- MB-2F38FED874B42EA8 - Taken by kurahador. 1 entrants total.

t1472271767z1.png

Teeth

I can report back that Mortal Kombat XL runs at a locked 60fps at max settings on a 770, 2GB.

I'm amazed. Nice looking game too.

kevin1025

Banned
Free stuff, because why not!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kevin1025, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-358E3E719294666D - Taken by Vlad. 1 entrants total.
Galak-Z -- MB-4FC074FCC65BD01A - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-3E4B6BA85D7735F5 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
Octodad: Dadliest Catch -- MB-7C61B3476D811474 - Taken by PaulSane. 1 entrants total.
Hexcells: Complete Pack -- MB-57A00CC1CF5C1D1D - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.

t1472272135z1.png

This is really neat. I'm surprised how many games there are here I already played about a dozen. Their 3D arena version of agar.io would be a lot of fun full of people.

Deuce is quite neat and by far the most polished out of the group. It's a one on one arcade tennis game with the framing of a fighting game with a life bar and super meter. It launched fullscreen and has resolution and graphics options, has transition screens and lots of art, two characters and two courts. It's fun!

Q0MZvxx.png

Edit: Apparently the game has jumped to 80% positive reviews now? Wut.

K-T/Anime kids are bad when it comes to this.
Look at the shitty OP port. Even that has enough positive reviews, even though the graphical options didnt work at all, no 360 controller prompts etc.
I actually wonder what happened, because the Arslan port, besides that it ran bad on older GPUs, was actually a good port with 4k resolution.

Edit: Damn. When will K-T learn? It seems they still havent fixed the W8/W10 bug and you have to set it to W7 compatibility to avoid most crashes. I mean K-T should know about this long enough and they actually do, because the Arslan.exe was set to W7 on default...

Nabs

I can report back that Mortal Kombat XL runs at a locked 60fps at max settings on a 770, 2GB.

I'm amazed. Nice looking game too.

I can't wait to get a chance to mess around in training mode. I'm having a great time with this beta.

Tecmo is reaping what they sow, only so many times you can put out average over priced ports before folks get fed up.

I don't get how folks aren't already fed up, it's happened time and time again but some people still get their hopes up that some port of a budget tier game is going be good somehow when the last dozen ports have been bad.

http://arcengames.com/time-for-some-straight-talk-release-raptor-is-being-pulled-and-refunded/

Release Raptor is getting pulled from Steam and refunded, if any of you collector types have any interest.

Interesting article. (Or blog post? Whatevs.) Thanks for the link!

I think the thing Arcen needs to come to terms with is that the strategy genre is vastly underserved compared to the bustling "Early Access action game" genre, which is why there's such a gulf in mindshare. (Not to mention the eye-catching "from the makers of A.I. War" no doubt mention somewhere.) Like I hadn't even heard of their latest game; and honestly, after I burned myself buying A Valley Without Wind 1, I dunno that I cared. But at least with a strategy title, I can look at it and go "that's a cool idea."

The biggest news in there is the near-absolute confirmation of an A.I. War: Fleet Command 2 Kickstarter. Hopefully they can find some success there. Since RTSes in general have died out, I imagine it is a pitch that will be quite popular.

Corpekata

Banned
Interesting article. (Or blog post? Whatevs.) Thanks for the link!

I think the thing Arcen needs to come to terms with is that the strategy genre is vastly underserved compared to the bustling "Early Access action game" genre, which is why there's such a gulf in mindshare. (Not to mention the eye-catching "from the makers of A.I. War" no doubt mention somewhere.) Like I hadn't even heard of their latest game; and honestly, after I burned myself buying A Valley Without Wind 1, I dunno that I cared. But at least with a strategy title, I can look at it and go "that's a cool idea."

The biggest news in there is the near-absolute confirmation of an A.I. War: Fleet Command 2 Kickstarter. Hopefully they can find some success there. Since RTSes in general have died out, I imagine it is a pitch that will be quite popular.

Well, I mean, their last few games have struggled too, so it's not just a matter of "early access action game" fatigue.

I'm actually not sure AI War is the answer these days. AI War released at a very good time, when strategy games, particularly space based ones, were pretty rare. Now that the strategy resurgance has happened, and in particular a lot of space based ones, I'm not sure if it'll make nearly the same waves as it did.

PaulSane

I've just noticed that God Eater actually has a Russian language option, that's very surprising to me, albeit a very welcome thing indeed :)

Despite that, it's only #15 on the top sellers list here.

kevin1025

Banned
I think Nuclear Throne is the most satisfying game of its type. There's something about it that, even though I'm absolutely terrible at it, I'm both fascinated and so enthused about playing it.

I'd believe it. Vlambeer knows how to make a game.

Like, I don't even like playing Luftrausers, and yet I LOVE Luftrausers.
Well, I mean, their last few games have struggled too, so it's not just a matter of "early access action game" fatigue.

I'm actually not sure AI War is the answer these days. AI War released at a very good time, when strategy games, particularly space based ones, were pretty rare. Now that the strategy resurgance has happened, and in particular a lot of space based ones, I'm not sure if it'll make nearly the same waves as it did.
Their EA raptor game is on a new level of poor sales; they even put it their previous game, which they called out at the time as having very distressing sales. Raptorgame was up on Steam for 2 days and now it's gone.

As far as a strategy resurgence, it's been pretty focused on turn-based games, with RTSes receiving much less love, and space RTSes even less. In particular, 4Xes, and unique takes on them, have exploded; great for me, but not so much for AI War fans.

I guess we'll see when it (presumably) hits Kickstarter, but I figure there's a lot of fans sitting on the sidelines for another space RTS.

I don't get how folks aren't already fed up, it's happened time and time again but some people still get their hopes up that some port of a budget tier game is going be good somehow when the last dozen ports have been bad.

The last ones havent been bad.
Arslan was pretty good and SW2-2 was actually also not really bad.

It actually seems different teams sit on differrent ports. I mean the Arslan port has 4k support and everything PC-gamers would want, AoT not even Vsync in Fullscreen it seems. Arslan sets the W7 mode on default to avoid crashes, AoT not.

I don't know what's wrong with me, but even now, I still want Arslan.

It's the closest I'm ever going to get to a Fullmetal Alchemist video game on PC.

I don't know what's wrong with me, but even now, I still want Arslan.

It's the closest I'm ever going to get to a Fullmetal Alchemist video game on PC.

The Arslan port isnt bad, though its quite demanding. At least on my old 280x it was hard to keep a stable 60fps/1080p.

But the game itself is.... quite boring. While the other K-T games are somehow fun, this one feels like a Musou ripoff. I mean the jump itself is so strange and feels like its from a PSX game.
Also some animations are 30fps, so it looks quite strange.

kevin1025

Banned
I'd believe it. Vlambeer knows how to make a game.

Like, I don't even like playing Luftrausers, and yet I LOVE Luftrausers.

Exactly! It's one of those things where I'm not good at the game, but I still can't stop playing it. I played Luftrausers on Vita for hours and hours, and I think I started mastering it just as I stopped playing.

I'm super glad I went all in on that current Humble Bundle, I played Nuclear Throne on PS4 quite a bit but now that I have it on PC, all my free time between things will be popping this game on.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
August 25th, yup

I was gonna say "the game looks like bundle fodder what did they expect" but I guess they were chasing that quirky I Am Bread / Octodad / Goat Simulator money?

Corpekata

Banned
If you want to know the answer to these questions, you can try reading the link.

I don't think they were going for a comedy game, even if the concept is amusing. Arcen just makes weird stuff.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I was gonna say "the game looks like bundle fodder what did they expect" but I guess they were chasing that quirky I Am Bread / Octodad / Goat Simulator money?

Heh, from the blog post:

This was never intended to be like Goat Simulator (which I’ve never played, but my understanding is that it’s a silly bug-fest just centered around messing about and not doing anything). I figured we might be able to pick up some of the Goat Simulator crowd since you CAN come in here and just mess about, but what I didn’t realize was that this would create a stigma that would lead people to then to think it’s more vapid than it is.

There's also some fun shade thrown at No Man's Sky as a bonus too.

If I buy that Raptor game now, will I get a refund when its being pulled?

Be pretty surprised if they didn't. How do they know why you bought it? I, for one, just bought purely coincidentally as I thought it clearly was a quality product and I wanted to get in on "the ground floor" in a selfless way to aid the games development.

Knurek

Pixieking

Banned
Regarding Steamspy transparency, it seems there's some pubs/devs who are going "Yey" for the full reveal of numbers, but also wariness from others?

https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/769430765348261888

Worth reading the Tweet-thread (it's not that long), but some selections

Rob ‏@retroremakes 24m24 minutes ago

Transparency only seems to be good when it’s someone else polling for numbers though rather than lifting a finger to share your own data.

Rob ‏@retroremakes 12m12 minutes ago

If everyone arguing how good transparancy is who has a game on Steam makes the case to Valve, let’s have it publish everything they have.

Ryan Langley ‏@Rlan2 12m12 minutes ago Ruapehu District, New Zealand

@retroremakes my old XBLA& PSN Sales analysis was used by a ton of people -- even MS guys used it, since they couldn't use data they had

Ryan Langley ‏@Rlan2 10m10 minutes ago Ruapehu District, New Zealand

@retroremakes also had a (now) well known studio tell me they almost or did lose a project due to my stuff :(

Rob ‏@retroremakes 2m2 minutes ago

As is:

People will use these numbers for funding
For greenlighting projects
For denying projects
For valuations
For kickstarters
And on

Unrelated to that...

Wonder what the UK price will be. :/ With the pound/dollar in the gutter still, pubs are going to up the UK price sooner or later to counter the poor exchange-rate, and the pound/yen seems to be just as bad.

Wok

This was never intended to be like Goat Simulator (which I’ve never played, but my understanding is that it’s a silly bug-fest just centered around messing about and not doing anything). I figured we might be able to pick up some of the Goat Simulator crowd since you CAN come in here and just mess about, but what I didn’t realize was that this would create a stigma that would lead people to then to think it’s more vapid than it is.

Wait, is it not Raptor Simulator?

Personally, the two downsides of the game which made me lose interest are:
1) it looked like Goat Simulator,
2) the explosions in the trailer looked awful. If I want to play a raptor, I want to attack people, not machines.

http://arcengames.com/time-for-some-straight-talk-release-raptor-is-being-pulled-and-refunded/

Release Raptor is getting pulled from Steam and refunded, if any of you collector types have any interest.

What if I buy it now from the Humble store for 10% additional discount?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/in-case-of-emergency-release-raptor

derExperte

Anyone else backed Knite & The Ghost Lights? Bad news.

So here's the news I've been putting off: At this point I'm the only one left working on the project. People just can't work for free and I understand that.

Backed The Bitmap Brothers: Universe? Good news.

Copies of The Bitmap Brothers: Universe will arrive in the UK in the first days of October, and we’ll begin shipping immediately.

Tizoc

This is really neat. I'm surprised how many games there are here I already played about a dozen. Their 3D arena version of agar.io would be a lot of fun full of people.

Deuce is quite neat and by far the most polished out of the group. It's a one on one arcade tennis game with the framing of a fighting game with a life bar and super meter. It launched fullscreen and has resolution and graphics options, has transition screens and lots of art, two characters and two courts. It's fun!

Q0MZvxx.png

Could you link to where to buy this game please?

JarrodL

so even with a decent port attack on titan bombed on pc huh

shame, the game seems really nice

To be honest, the steam page does a terrible job of marketing it for to people who, like me, don't already know what this is. I mean...
An international hit anime "Attack on Titan" has come to Steam®!

Battle is joined between the man-eating Titans and Eren and his companions. Experience the illusion of being in the anime, and controlling the flow of the story.

The story from the anime, with a few original twists, is yours to experience!

Seriously? That's it? The first time I read that I thought the page was for an actual anime series (steam is selling movies now, after all), and not for a game. And all the 4 trailers there don't show any gameplay just anime-ish cutscenes (unless I missed VERY short bits of it by quickily stepping with the progress slider), which only reinforced this impression.

Wok

so even with a decent port attack on titan bombed on pc huh

shame, the game seems really nice

Yeah but it is priced 60€ (without the discount), is only known to connoisseurs, and comes after I gave my money to NMS and Obduction.

Sarcasm

I only know what it is because I watched it on airplanes in Japanese. I barely speak it and I would play the game TBH from watching the films.

kagamin

To be honest, the steam page does a terrible job of marketing it for to people who, like me, don't already know what this is. I mean...

Seriously? That's it? The first time I read that I thought the page was for an actual anime series (steam is selling movies now, after all), and not for a game. And all the 4 trailers there don't show any gameplay just anime-ish cutscenes (unless I missed VERY short bits of it by quickily stepping with the progress slider), which only reinforced this impression.

"Experience the illusion of being in the anime" seems pretty clear to me its not the anime. :p

Although the reason I know about it is because its very popular, I haven't seen it myself, like most anime in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom