• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest news in there is the near-absolute confirmation of an A.I. War: Fleet Command 2 Kickstarter. Hopefully they can find some success there. Since RTSes in general have died out, I imagine it is a pitch that will be quite popular.

Nice. I'd be all over a AI War 2 kickstarter.

Also, while Arcen is best known for AI War, and for failing spectacularly with A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2, people should absolutely give Bionic Dues a shot. Despite the stupid name, it is a pretty good sci-fi, tactical rogue-lite game.

Tellaerin

Ucchedavāda;215158695 said:
Nice. I'd be all over a AI War 2 kickstarter.

Also, while Arcen is best known for AI War, and for failing spectacularly with A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2, people should absolutely give Bionic Dues a shot. Despite the stupid name, it is a pretty good sci-fi, tactical rogue-lite game.

I think I got that in one of those PC Gamer/Bundlestars giveaways, IIRC. What little I played of it was pretty fun. Though as a side note, I always keep misreading the title as "Bionic Dudes". Which would actually be a pretty awesome name for a game.

Okay .. I start up Big Picture Mode, and a dialogue pops up saying that there is a firmware update. "We'll guide you through the process, blah, blah ...". I click next, and uhhhh:
5XpI1S3.png

Also, my Steam controller is running out of power .. halp!

EDIT: Pressing escape made the dialogue disappear, but left my controller unresponsive. However, plugging in a USB cable and restarting BPM made it retry the update, and it now works again. Phew.

I think I got that in one of those PC Gamer/Bundlestars giveaways, IIRC. What little I played of it was pretty fun. Though as a side note, I always keep misreading the title as "Bionic Dudes". Which would actually be a pretty awesome name for a game.

Ha! That is indeed a much superior title.

Ucchedavāda;215161029 said:
EDIT: Pressing escape made the dialogue disappear, but left my controller unresponsive. However, plugging in a USB cable and restarting BPM made it retry the update, and it now works again. Phew.

So it almost killed itself, but you saved it with POWERRRRR?
Idiotic there is no power check in the controller before a FW update. whatyearisit.jpg

I was gonna say "the game looks like bundle fodder what did they expect" but I guess they were chasing that quirky I Am Bread / Octodad / Goat Simulator money?

Yeah, seems like there might be a business plan in "longshot" wacky games: you prototype a silly alpha, get it out, see if Let's Players and "random YouTubers scream and yell over it" pick it up, does it go viral, if so, develop further. If not, abandon ASAP. You basically rapid prototype moonshots; you only need 1 of them to hit.

Good on the developer for doing the "i'm refunding you + you get to keep the game" option in case there are a few people who like it in it's current state.

Tizoc

I was gonna say "the game looks like bundle fodder what did they expect" but I guess they were chasing that quirky I Am Bread / Octodad / Goat Simulator money?

Every game is bundle fodder in your eyes @_@
I'm surprised you actually got Ghost 1.0 day 1 instead of waiting for it to be bundled.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

cmWEPrK.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-131BDCE8BF36811C - Taken by Purkake4 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick

Yeah, seems like there might be a business plan in "longshot" wacky games: you prototype a silly alpha, get it out, see if Let's Players and "random YouTubers scream and yell over it" pick it up, does it go viral, if so, develop further. If not, abandon ASAP. You basically rapid prototype moonshots; you only need 1 of them to hit.

Good on the developer for doing the "i'm refunding you + you get to keep the game" option in case there are a few people who like it in it's current state.

But the write up doesn't sound like that at all. It sounds like the legitimately wanted to continue developing but are just giving up in two days.

TWO DAYS! I don't hear about Steam games I'd insta-buy until years after release!

I suspect there's something deeper here, such as further personal reasons.

Nillansan

I was day-dreaming about SEGA buying up Obsidian and resurrecting Aliens: Crucible with Chris Avellone helming the project as lead writer.

This one looks fun..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/503180

ZTkYnl8.jpg

robocop + judge dredd
It does look neat!

Assault Suit Leynos will finally be released on Tuesday next week.
Reminds me of Gigantic Army which is a good thing!

Kudos to devs solely by managing to incorporate two 6DOF games in their title :D
If you keep switching games (next game) in Idlemaster theres a steam glitch where cards drop instantly.

https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/e7Jhp/steam-or-idle-master-glitch

I was able to knock out all the games I had left. If it stops working you need to restart steam and IM.
Worked with a couple games but not with others. The 2 hour minimum is still in effect I think. Got 11 cards but it's no longer working despite restarts.
Playing 3DS games:
giphy.gif

(I know there's a way to stream the picture to PC, but I can't imagine 240p image looking good there :/)
https://citra-emu.org/ is doing good progress.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-131BDCE8BF36811C - Taken by Purkake4

Jawmuncher

This Dragon Quest Builders games looks pretty cool, I haven't really been following this game but it would be strange if this skips the PC. Not only is that the prevailing strategy for Japanese publishers, but also it gels perfectly with the demographic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7jhbSz4gUo

They were pretty low key on Heroes until it just popped up. So I could see them doing the same thing again. Or we only lucked out with Heroes because it was KT.

Tizoc

It does look neat!

Reminds me of Gigantic Army which is a good thing!

Kudos to devs solely by managing to incorporate two 6DOF games in their title :D

Worked with a couple games but not with others. The 2 hour minimum is still in effect I think. Got 11 cards but it's no longer working despite restarts.

https://citra-emu.org/ is doing good progress.

You got it in reverse, Gigantic Army is based on Leynos and its ilk :p

Does anything chase you and kill you in SOMA? I am too chicken scared to play it, haven't even redeemed it.

They're not very fast so they'll come after you but you've got plenty of time to go and hide. And their actual attacks aren't that scary. The game's atmosphere is scarier than the enemies, really, and the consequences of getting found by an enemy are pretty minimal.

madjoki

I wonder how they will handle the refunds for version bought directly on Steam. They say we get to keep the game, but there's no way to refund without losing the game when getting a refund through steam...

At least it's clever way to sell game ;)

I guess they could send steam keys or try to make valve add promotional credit equal to games value.

Does anything chase you and kill you in SOMA? I am too chicken scared to play it, haven't even redeemed it.

There are a number of places where that occurs, and for most part it was not that interesting. There is, however, a mod that you can use to get rid of those monsters, and I'd say that the game is definitely still worth playing without monsters.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=560988617

There are also a few scripted encounters, which are pretty good, and the mod does not remove those, AFAIK.

Uzzy

Yes. The mod posted above stops the chase parts, mostly. Still worth playing, as it's not the monsters that terrify you, or keep you up at night pondering the nature of human existence.

fantomena

Nice. Going from DX11 to DX12 in ROTTR gave me an FPS boost of 15-40. Pretty cool. Still have yet to try out the gaming and OC boost the GPU has.

So in Mankind Divided I don't get Ghost if enemies go in Suspect status?
Pretty much. There was one mission where I had to collect an item and I went into suspect status once but never did anything to any enemy (no knockouts, no kills, nothing) and thought I would get ghost. When I got back to deliver the item and he asked me how I did it, Jensen said they got in my way and I had to take them down. I was so confused.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder how they will handle the refunds for version bought directly on Steam. They say we get to keep the game, but there's no way to refund without losing the game when getting a refund through steam...

Valve could refund people and then attach a "complimentary" licence to accounts. That's how the Valve Complete Pack was given to Golden Potato folks back when Portal 2 released -- it was just a CD key quietly registered to their accounts.

I feel like everything Microsoft has been published in the past couple years (besides Halo 5, perhaps) up until now has got very little marketing push and hype.

Tizoc

Thing is no one spotted me; i HAD TO distract a group by throwing an item and managed to get through a section without triggering an alarm, and I didn't get ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom