• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

8ezPuOp.png

My severely disfigured, lesbian Queen of East Anglia, hiding out from diseases by secluding herself in her castle, just found her lover scoffing some of the remaining food supplies. That's one of the options.

Crusader Kings 2 is amazing.

Oh yeah, I never played that but always wanted to. How is it?

I just played it last week before jumping into Mankind Divided.

It was...okay, I guess? There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, it just takes a while to get going, and there's quite a bit of backtracking.

Took me about 5 hours, I think, but that was me going for non-lethal, full exploration. If you have it as a separate app (pre-Director's Cut) then I'd recommend playing it. If you have to play through Human Revolution for it (if you've already played it) it's not really worth a full playthrough on it's own.

My severely disfigured, lesbian Queen of East Anglia, hiding out from diseases by secluding herself in her castle, just found her lover scoffing some of the remaining food supplies. That's one of the options.

Crusader Kings 2 is amazing.

I finished my first full playthrough of Crusader Kings II almost a month ago. So good.

And I trust that the new Reaper's Due DLC is living up to the hype?

Corpekata

Banned
I don't know if the DC is worth investing in unless you can't access Missing Link on it's own.

The DC "upgrades" the boss fights but they still suck. And it adds the DLC weapons/ gear to the main game, and scatters supplies for them all over. The autohack tool is nice for builds that ignore hacking. It also adds the DLC Mission dealing with Tracer Tong from the first Deus Ex as a main story mission. And then finally it inserts The Missing Link about 2/3rds of the way into the game.

The Missing Link is good but it is not well placed in the DC. It comes after a long slog of dungeons/missions and lacks the "come back to a peaceful area" pacing that regular game has. So you're talking like probably 4-8 hours in a row of not much variety, plus it strips you of your augments. Then right after that the downtime moment is minor so you're right back to it. Can feel like a real chore. It's a real pacing misfire.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Missing Link, but it was clearly meant to be played standalone.

I'd still say the ideal playthrough is just the original PC version plus play the Missing Link after.

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xxPVMYM.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-4EA6F9C13EA856DE - Taken by WinterDemons. 7 entrants total.

t1472325644z1.png

The game was UnderRail. Thanks, mystery giver!

I don't know if the DC is worth investing in unless you can't access Missing Link on it's own.

The DC "upgrades" the boss fights but they still suck. And it adds the DLC weapons/ gear to the main game, and scatters supplies for them all over. The autohack tool is nice for builds that ignore hacking. It also adds the DLC Mission dealing with Tracer Tong from the first Deus Ex as a main story mission. And then finally it inserts The Missing Link about 2/3rds of the way into the game.

The Missing Link is good but it is not well placed in the DC. It comes after a long slog of dungeons/missions and lacks the "come back to a peaceful area" pacing that regular game has. So you're talking like probably 4-8 hours in a row of not much variety, plus it strips you of your augments. Then right after that the downtime moment is minor so you're right back to it. Can feel like a real chore. It's a real pacing misfire.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Missing Link, but it was clearly meant to be played standalone.

I'd still say the ideal playthrough is just the original PC version plus play the Missing Link after.

Thanks for the impressions. I might just stick with playing vanilla for now and wait for the DLC to go on sale.

Can I access all exits from the start or do I need some new tools from other level in the "underground"?

you need some of the upgrades from other levels to access the other exits , if you already completed all the regular levels you should be able to access the rest

Ludens

Banned
You usually need new tools to open up most of those alternative exits, as far as I can remember.

I found some since I managed to open two underground levels, I cleared one but for the second I need double jump I guess.

you need some of the upgrades from other levels to access the other exits , if you already completed all the regular levels you should be able to access the rest

Eh, sadly I was missing tools. I got double jump, but I don't know how to find alternate exits in the Devil's Peak and the level with the boat.

Refund for NMS went through, Surprisingly quick for a Saturday. Think I'll use the portion that was on Steam Wallet for Obduction tomorrow maybe.

I never really played the Myst games. Curious how it'll play to someone without that nostalgia
Or maybe Master of Orion.

Obduction is the best option, trust me. Tomorrow I'll post a little review, but it's one of the best game released in those last 5 years for sure.
Don't believe other people, nobody can make Myst-like titles, only Cyan is able to bring the magic. I played a lot of "Myst-like" but I think people use that definition for every first person adventure game with pretty much no narration: it's not.

Obduction, like Myst titles, it's a mix of loneliness and sense of wonder.
You are bringed in a brand new world with its own rules, language, culture. And you have absolutely no hint on how to proceed at first. You are alone in this area, and you need to understand how things work at first. Take a simple machine, for example: often it's not simply a question of pushing a button to make something work, maybe there are some levers you need to act with in a particular order, maybe there's a specific configuration, maybe simply you can't figure out the solution at the moment because the hint is in another place.
The game is always fair and doesn't insult you with irritating puzzles, you can solve EVERYTHING by your own by looking carefully at the enviroment. If you got stuck, like it happened to me, it's because you missed something back. Once you see it, the puzzle solves.

Also the narrative. It's here, there's a story going on, and it's good and fascinating. But you are only a gear of the machine, so you can't learn everything. There are no NPCs to interact with or better, there are but they act exactly like they did in Myst games (you will figure this out when you play the game). You won't get bothered by wall of text, audiologs every five seconds, cutscenes, dialogue choices...nothing of this. Every little bit of information you will manage to find will act like a reward in building on the puzzle of the story. It's a game focused on the mystery after all, the sense of wonder and exploration.

Well, I posted a little review after all, so that this like my passionate opinion.

We need more game like Obduction. At first I had MANY doubts because you know, programming a game today it's not exaclty the same thing like programming a game in Hypercard like 20 years ago (if I remember correctly Myst was created by six people, while the team got big with Riven with around 40 people. On URU it got eve bigger, with around 150 elements, but Rand Miller felt unconmfortable with this because he is used to know personally each team member and he couldn't do that with a so big team). And since Cyan was in a total black.out from years and the technology went on, with new type of videogames, I was afraid they would do something totally different, like a walking simulator or something like that.

It's not. Obduction is exactly the kind of game you can expect by Cyan, a timeless classic which is fresh today like 20 years ago, only now thanks to Unreal Engine 4.0 it looks great.

People need to support this because it's clear Miller put every single penny into the game, giving up on a proper marketing (I remember Myst games were a serious thing back in days, they costed several million dollars, but Obduction is kind of a small project, because it costed like Myst 1, Riven 2 budget was much much bigger, but still the result is amazing). We were in a total black.out for the game, no gameplay trailers, a delay etc...but the result is amazing.

I hope Obduction will sell a lot so another game like this will be made.

Deques

Is there any workaround for Xbone Controller that has no support for it? I started to play Team Indie, but the game doesn't have support for the controller, so I had to dig up my Xbox 360 controller to play.

dex3108

I finished Blacklist today and i must say that is one great game. It is full of content and i was surprised that every mission is on new map. They didn't rehash story maps for side content. I really enjoyed playing it and now i will wait for a friend to finish coop missions.

But now i started Mafia 2 and i remembered how that game was demanding when it came out. But now with my GTX760 i can push all settings to max at 1440p and still get 60FPS (even with PhysX on). :D

Corpekata

Banned
Is there any workaround for Xbone Controller that has no support for it? I started to play Team Indie, but the game doesn't have support for the controller, so I had to dig up my Xbox 360 controller to play.

If it's Unity, try starting the controller after it launches. Unity games + One controllers are fucked in general, and it got worse with the Win 10 AU, but starting the controller after launch solves it in all the problem games I've tried.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

K7GXagI.png

Mystery Game -- MB-9E41914EF8CDD080 - Taken by Stumpokapow. 52 entrants total.
this is a giveaway you will not want to have myst

t1472418456z1.png

damn DXMD is a stuttering mess for me. I just walked out of the apartment for the first time and its constantly going from 55-60fps down to like 5-10. everytime i tab for inventory or esc to pause there is a delay too

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I replayed original HR and had a great time. Just make sure to upgrade Typhoon and carry a bit of ammo for it at all times and you will have no issies with any bosses.

Phinor

I finished Blacklist today and i must say that is one great game. It is full of content and i was surprised that every mission is on new map. They didn't rehash story maps for side content. I really enjoyed playing it and now i will wait for a friend to finish coop missions.

Blacklist really was a really positive surprise when I played it. Great game and very underrated/not enough people talk about it.

One thing that annoys me in DXMD so far: there's too much items and crap to loot everywhere. No situation is a challenge because you have almost endless amount of resources and options. Hopefully the next game tries something new because I feel like this new type of Deus Ex has now been done to death with just two games. Still, that issue aside, really enjoying the game. Playing stealth btw. but it seems like there's way too much ammo and guns available to loot as well.

Deques

If it's Unity, try starting the controller after it launches. Unity games + One controllers are fucked in general, and it got worse with the Win 10 AU, but starting the controller after launch solves it in all the problem games I've tried.

It's not a Unity game. I have had several games where Xbox One controller doesn't work but the Xbox 360 controller works and all of them are not Unity games

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cross of the Dutchman -- MB-D93241EDF536F078 - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.
There Was A Caveman -- MB-F4C660D6657799BD - Taken by Jawmuncher. 3 entrants total.
Dino Run DX -- MB-B9369942D832E00C - Taken by Large Professor. 1 entrants total.

t1472333508z1.png

Corpekata

Banned
It's not a Unity game. I have had several games where Xbox One controller doesn't work but the Xbox 360 controller works and all of them are not Unity games

Which games?

Also I bet dollars to donuts a game called Team Indie and looking like it does is a Unity game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
this is a giveaway you will not want to have myst

Entering this on the extremely slim possibility that it's Obduction, and the infinitely small possibility I win. If I win and it's Obduction this will retroactively justify having created ModBot.

Flandy

So I my friend gifted me No Mans Sky but then I decided on getting a refund for obvious reasons.
That was a over a week ago
The refund went through and my friend got their money back.
I still have the game
I deleted it
I redownloaded and booted it up right before I made this post
The only thing I'm not sure about is if I'm able to update it or not.
When I booted it up I didn't see any prompts for updates

What's happening?

madjoki

So I my friend gifted me No Mans Sky but then I decided on getting a refund for obvious reasons.
That was a over a week ago
The refund went through and my friend got their money back.
I still have the game
I deleted it
I redownloaded an booted it up right before I made this post
The only thing I'm not sure about is if I'm able to update it or not.
When I booted it up I didn't see any prompts for updates

What's happening?

Maybe valve broke something?

in which case:

1) Don't tell anyone
2) Repeat with other games
3) ???
4) Profit

Ozium

can someone give me the run down on the *moderate* amount of hype for The Turing Test?

I see it was made by teh folks that made Pneuma breath of life, which was OK and seeing that doesn't exactly make me want to get the turing test until it's on a deep discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom