• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow, never realized the big disparity between Caesar III and Caesar IV. Now I wish they bring the other games (Zeus, Pharaoh, the Chinese one) over. I know they're in GoG, but still.

Also what do you guys think of Dungeon Punk?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When did Humble switch the key redemption to not let you copy-paste the key if it's in your Steam library? Fuck off bros, I just want to give stuff away to ModBot. I'm not selling on G2A.

When did Humble switch the key redemption to not let you copy-paste the key if it's in your Steam library? Fuck off bros, I just want to give stuff away to ModBot. I'm not selling on G2A.

Can't you still generate a gift link?

Humble doesn't seem to reliable detect my library. Sometimes it gives a key sometimes only the gift link if I already own something.

ChuckNyce

Thanks for posting it. Really enjoyed some of it. Its one of those games that in the middle ground. ITS NOT Monster Hunter but it has some aspects of it it also has aspects of friggen Gauntlet lol. So It hits in some places and sadly not so much in others.

Then Livelock game along lol. And stole a bit of my soul. That game is just friggen tremendous.

I've had my eye on LiveLock for awhile and your review is pretty much convincing me to hit the "buy" button. Have you played Alienation on PS4 by chance? If so, how do you think they compare?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So they only show the gift option now? I guess you could gift to yourself.

So here's an example: the bottom is what it looks like when it's a game that you already own. If you don't own something, you can click the button, and then when you click it you get what you see on the top -- they also added this little "vote" doohickey and if you vote thumbs up it recommends you give it a review on Steam:
j6Im3Jm.png

(I already claimed the key for Arcanum btw you trolls)

I can give but then I get the stupid gift link, and I can't remember if Humble gifts preserve your privacy or not.

Popstar

What purpose does having your Steam account linked to Humble serve anyways? It used to let you click to redeem directly but now it seems useless to have.

Does it know what you already own when browsing the Humble Store or something?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wait, Humble reactivated the Steam account connection stuff the same week that GOG restored GOG Connect. Do you think Steam turned on some new API in the background?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Looks like someone solved a problem no one actually had.

Hard to say. This is what the developer of The Real Texas had to say about the whole thing recently, since he was mailing out codes:

The bundle was in 2014. What was supposed to happen was a direct Steam redeem link would appear on your Humble page when the game launched on Steam. For some reason, they (Humble) can't do this anymore. Valve turned off the API for them-- this must be because bundle is now too old, or maybe it relates only to bundles due to a policy change. I really don't fully understand this as the game still redeems this way if you buy direct. I haven't got great detailed info on this-- I asked for some clarification but still don't really understand. Anyways!

I sent them the keys, asking them to backfill but also asking to confirm that it was going to be redeemed this way a long time ago (the 14th, 2 days after release) but they didn't reply to me until late last Friday.

I still have the option to put the raw Steam keys themselves on the Humble page. This is ideal in terms of customers (YOU!) that want to redeem the game on Steam. It's also way, way easier for me to do. The problem (for me) is-- it will likely eliminate any trickle of sales that I will still get (from new customers) for the game on Steam, due to key reselling on ♥♥♥. I need this trickle of sales, real badly. This reselling isn't due to people who actually care about the game (I don't treat a bundle customer differently than a direct sale-- it's my choice to bundle it and I'm happy if you can get it cheap!) the problem is people who buy bundles en-masse to resell keys, which means new customers can just buy the key from another site which only benefits the key reseller.

This is a crappy situation that I thought was solved by the Valve API, but now that Humble doesn't have access to this, the only option I have to keep everybody happy is fill these orders manually.

HB bulk resellers are something of a problem, I guess. Hopefully whatever solution people come up with doesn't make gifting spares impossible, but also doesn't totally eat into a devs sales.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

King's Quest Collection -- MB-2B241E715DE761DC - Taken by Atraveller
Humble Pro-tip: It turns out if you click the disabled "Redeem on Steam" button, you still get the key

Locust

So here's an example: the bottom is what it looks like when it's a game that you already own. If you don't own something, you can click the button, and then when you click it you get what you see on the top -- they also added this little "vote" doohickey and if you vote thumbs up it recommends you give it a review on Steam:
j6Im3Jm.png

I can give but then I get the stupid gift link, and I can't remember if Humble gifts preserve your privacy or not.

You can claim the key by pressing the button even if its grayed out you know :p

Kagemusha

Sch1sm

j6Im3Jm.png

Pretty sure they do preserve your privacy. Gift link just sends them to a page where they enter their email and then redeem it from another link sent to their email, no? Least, that's how I remember it. Haven't purchased a bundle in ages.

iosefe

i think i know what i don't like about Picross Touch

literally 95% of the puzzles are left/right Symetrical

*EDIT* probably not 95, maybe 80%

Exuro

So I just updated Steam and now it's no longer launching. I get the "Connecting steam account: Me" window and then it goes away and nothing happens. What can I do to get it running again?

Did that didn't work. Does removing/resintalling steam screw with downloads?

I'm not sure, but if you want to be safe

move everything from the common folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

reinstall steam, move everything back in and redownload your games

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any impressions on how Arcanum runs on Steam yet? I dearly love that game and already own it on GOG but might as well double dip if it runs similarly to that version.

Coldsun

Banned
Anyone have any impressions on how Arcanum runs on Steam yet? I dearly love that game and already own it on GOG but might as well double dip if it runs similarly to that version.

For all intents and purposes, its the exact same copy as on GOG but with Steam.

Pixieking

Banned
So I just updated Steam and now it's no longer launching. I get the "Connecting steam account: Me" window and then it goes away and nothing happens. What can I do to get it running again?

Beta Client? The latest (last night/this morning) update on the Beta track appears to crash the Steam client. Open Task Manager and try and run Steam, and it'll go through the motions, and then start the "Steamerrorreporting" process, before just dying.

They should push an update out pretty soon, considering they literally just made it impossible to play games if you're on the Beta track, but if you want to fix it before then, reinstall Steam and make sure you're opted-out of the Beta.

Edit: In fact, it may be a good idea to reinstall Steam anyway, and wait for news of the fixed Beta update, since there's no way to actually run Steam long-enough for it to download the next Beta update.

Oh man - Valve actually just broke the Steam Beta Client. If you're on the the Steam Client Beta track, do not update until the "Aug 30 update" is fixed. Whilst some are reporting it's working fine, if it doesn't then it requires a reinstall of Steam to remove the Beta Opt-In setting.

Edit 2: Last day of this month's internet usage. 900mb left. Can't play games due to Beta client crashing. Unsure how large the total size of the stable client download is. What an awesome day. :p

Edit the Third: 135mb gone on redownloading Steam. Guess I'm just going be refreshing this and the PoliGaf threads today. :'(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait, Humble reactivated the Steam account connection stuff the same week that GOG restored GOG Connect. Do you think Steam turned on some new API in the background?

I doubt it - owned game details are public so both this and GOG Connect can work with the available APIs. Enhanced Steam uses the same one to determine if a user is eligible to fill out a performance survey. And GOG Connect specifically states your profile needs to be public, which is one of that API's stipulations.

From the Gaming side:
Valve being sued by BT (British Telecom) over Steam features.

British Telecommunications has filed a federal lawsuit against Valve, alleging that the game developer infringed several patents via its popular Steam marketplace and distribution platform. In a 111 page court document obtained by ESPN, plaintiff British Telecom (BT) specifically pinpoints Steam's storage of third-party video games as well as certain broadcasting, chat, and messaging features.

All sorts of wat ..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not sure, but if you want to be safe

move everything from the common folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

reinstall steam, move everything back in and redownload your games

You can just delete everything aside from the steamapps and userdata folders, and Steam.exe. Running the executable will trigger a download of everything that's missing and ought to fix the issue.

dex3108

Wow, why not take the whole internet to court while they are at it. "Chatting" and "Storage" really?o_O

It is a bit strange that British company did this. Patent trolling is usual in US and it is sad. I watched few video about patent trolling and I still don't know how that is legal. All of the companies that sue others based on patents are just sign on the door in some office building in Texas (if I remember correctly) created by lawyer who represents that company.

Wok

I would never have expected to say that, but Animated Puzzles seems perfectly designed for jigsaw puzzle lovers.

Puzzles are animated, you get to choose the puzzle piece shapes, and the number of puzzle pieces, there is a leaderboard for best times, workshop support, and it does not look like it would have micro-transactions.

And there is a demo.

So... Has Morrigan ever looked like this? I don't understand why Bioware kept this image for official promotion...
spotlight_image_english.jpg
'
It must have been pre-alpha concept art or something; it's the only thing that makes sense.

Valve pls hold your store up to higher standards.

So... Has Morrigan ever looked like this? I don't understand why Bioware kept this image for official promotion...
spotlight_image_english.jpg
'
It must have been pre-alpha concept art or something; it's the only thing that makes sense.

Valve pls hold your store up to higher standards.

Not sure why they bothered changing her, both look equally terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom