• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a false alarm. My alt account can access Abzu and God Simulator (the latter of which I bought to test further as the app is only five days old) just fine.

I'm not sure what's going on, but take a look at some of the examples:

https://steamdb.info/app/509620/
https://steamdb.info/app/495830/
https://steamdb.info/app/509340/
https://steamdb.info/app/368070/
https://steamdb.info/app/499540/
https://steamdb.info/app/497720/
https://steamdb.info/app/503320/

Hopefully it's some oversight or error on Valve's end. I'm not sure why some of these games would even disable family sharing.

CfKtTErWQAQHoLI.jpg

Seems like a false alarm. My alt account can access Abzu and God Simulator (the latter of which I bought to test further as the app is only five days old) just fine.

giphy.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not sure what's going on, but take a look at some of the examples:

https://steamdb.info/app/509620/
https://steamdb.info/app/495830/
https://steamdb.info/app/509340/
https://steamdb.info/app/368070/
https://steamdb.info/app/499540/
https://steamdb.info/app/497720/
https://steamdb.info/app/503320/

Hopefully it's some oversight or error on Valve's end. I'm not sure why some of these games would even disable family sharing.

Ah. Well, if FS is now disabled by default, then it's obviously something devs/pubs can change, unlike AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting.

Edit: Here's the complete list of games with FS disabled. Some head-scratchers there but the list is still rather small.

Edit edit: It looks like many if not virtually all of the newer apps added the flag over the past 24 hours, generally alongside a build update. Probably a bug.

Kaleinc

Banned
Devs will enable family sharing on case by case basis after receiving proof of family relationship between the parties.

xist

Devs will enable family sharing on case by case basis after receiving proof of family relationship between the parties.

Unfortunately I don't look anything like my brother.....

I can't see that sharing with friends rather than family is the issue....more that sharing is the point of contention...

Mr. Doop

I hope they don't remove family sharing. The only reason my brother has a steam account is so he can use my games without going on my account.

Nzyme32

God damn, be careful with Graphics Card changes in Windows 10 (perhaps specific to the anniversary update)

Despite deleting the old drivers, upon putting in my new card, Windows 10 loads the wrong driver, that assumes every input to the card is an active monitor, so Windows 10 starts with a blank screen and a mouse cursor. I managed to activate the Accessibility narrator and still couldn't find a way to switch to the appropriate display. It took me 4 restarts and randomly removing and replacing the HDMI cable until eventually, I was given the primary display.

Proper drivers now installed, and all is well. This isn't uncommon either when looking on the web. +1 for Windows 10!

Corpekata

Banned
There's no way they intentionally are disabling family sharing for everything now. It's a feature that gets Steam new users and which only a handful of publishers dislike and can easily remove. It makes zero sense for Valve to do it.

Ludens

Banned
So, do you remember this morning I need to log into the XBox app in order to remove DVR?
Now Win10 enabled a password request on boot by default. Is there a way to unlink my PC from Microsoft account?

Nzyme32

So, do you remember this morning I need to log into the XBox app in order to remove DVR?
Now Win10 enabled a password request on boot by default. Is there a way to unlink my PC from Microsoft account?

I have not had anything like that. I only know how to make that change from within Windows, in the settings and account management.

JaseC

When signing into a WinStore app you have to select "Sign only into this app", otherwise your Microsoft Account will become your Win10 user account, as you've discovered the hard way. You can switch back to a local profile in Settings -> Accounts.

Ludens

Banned
I have not had anything like that. I only know how to make that change from within Windows, in the settings and account management.

So, I managed to unlink the Win 10 PC from my Microsoft account (there's an option to remove a PC if you access your account from Outlook), I switched to my local account but I have another problem: now the Pc doesn't boot iself up to the desktop, I need to hit "access" and it goes to the desktop, even if I have no password enabled. How can I get rid of this?
EDIT: Solved it, it seems when I switched to local account, Microsoft flagged the option to request a password on boot, I removed that and now I can use my PC like I did yesterday, but I noticed now on booting there's a box (which disappears istanlty) asking for a password, but since I have no password it logs on and boot to the desktop. Annoying because I didn't have that box yesterday.

All of this, anyway, to turn off the DVR option, amazing.

giphy.gif

meh
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sometimes Success Requires Sacrifice -- MB-FC4ADDF5089FB866 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Pressured -- MB-C3AA5C023EBD6059 - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1470237669z1.png

Nabs

Shame about the Family Sharing switch. I guess they made the change during last nights downtime, again proving it was done to mess with me. I hope they switch it back, devs can still be dicks and disable it if they want.

gngf123

I really hope family sharing doesn't change. The current system has worked great for me and my girlfriend.

At least devs can still change it, but I have a feeling many will stick with the default.

Parsnip

Ucchedavāda;212346698 said:
Thanks again for letting me know.
Since it was just the MBR that got nuked, I could just overwrite the entire MBR using the full-disk image of Windows 10 that I had made back when I first installed it. Took 30 seconds to figure out, and I now have a working copy of Windows 10 again.

Yup. It could have been much worse.

Damn, that sucks. Telltale is never going to fix that damn engine, are they?

I just don't understand how this is still a problem. You'd think that at some point, they would have tackled this problem.

I guess they figure people will buy the game whether the engine sucks or not. It's a strategy that's worked for them for ten years.

Well there are a huge number of people who will swarm and defend Telltale. Claim they never had a problem. No save issues, no performance issues, and no bugs. The engine they are currently using is only 5 years old (started with Jurassic Park) so maybe in 5 years they will have it figured out or a new engine. :(

JaseC

I believe the family share being disabled is a bug, Valve can't be dumb like this.

I asked the Domino VR dev what the go was with Family Sharing being disabled earlier and he wasn't aware it had happened. If the change were intentional, then surely it would have been applied to more than a few dozen or so seemingly random apps, and not at various times throughout the day.

Edit: And Family Sharing changing from opt-out to opt-in seems like something that would be announced in the Steamworks forum.

Someone (you know who you are!) asked me if Rogue Trooper held up over the years. So I put in two hours to answer that question. (So, disclaimer, I didn't finish the game yet.) Does it hold up? The answer could surprise you!

The story: There's a war going on for some reason on Nu Earth (not explained whether it's a different planet than Earth or merely something post-apocalyptic.) The Southerners/Southlanders/whatever use blue-skinned genetically-modified (dare I say...augmented? It is an Eidos game after all) infantry - "G.I.s" - and are apparently the good guys. The Nordlanders/Norts are basically Nazi-analogues. And we all know that German accents = evil. You play Rogue, a woman from Louisiana with the power to absorb other mutant powers a member of a GI squadron, along with Gunner, Bagman and Helm. Gunner quickly dies, and Rogue cuts him open to take out a "biochip" which still has his personality or something, and he uses it as a targeting system in his...gun. Then Bagman dies and Rogue uses his biochip for a manufacture and upgrade system...for his bag. Then Helm gets captured, and both sensing a theme and noticing a biochip-shaped indentation in my helmet, I didn't have high hopes for him. He becomes your electronic hacking system...in your helm.

And since you disobeyed the order to retreat since you were going after Helm...you went rogue. It's at this point I need to mention the game was made in 2006 in the PS2 era, and not 1998 for the N64. I sure hope it's explained why they named a GI "Rogue" as if they were intending for him to do just that. Anyway...bottom line is now you're apparently a one-man army going after the Norts and probably having to fend off your own allies because you're apparently a deserter now. It's...very simple, and more than a bit campy.

The gameplay: It's weird playing this game having played future Eidos games, and seeing the seeds of those games in Rogue Trooper. It's mostly an action game but you have the option to play with stealth and do melee kills from behind (just like Deus Ex HR,) it's got some janky cover shooting with blindfire or duck-out fire - luckily this got better ovver the years - and it has a salvage system where you can salvage bodies or piles of junk to upgrade weapons and such, just like Tomb Raider 2013.

The game presents several options to complete objectives - use your assault rifle as a turret, create distractions, etc. - but you'll find shooting in the game is sufficiently easy that you won't want to bother. I'm playing on normal, so maybe those other options make more sense on hard mode.

The graphics: Hooboy. This sure is a PS2 game. I'm playing in the max resolution: 1280 x 1024. They have a widescreen option but the highest one there is 1280 x 768...so yeah. The textures are fine for 2006 but they conserved polygons like there was a shortage and they'd need some later. It's hard to believe Deus Ex HR came out a mere five years after this.

The characters are pretty badly designed. There's one female character who they wanted to give an absurdly bubbly butt such that her legs had to take on Liefeldian proportions to support it, and consequently she walks like she's got scoliosis.

The dialogue: Your teammates/equipment banter with you and each other as you play. It alternates between funny and "whoa, radical man, I'm tryin' too hard" 90s-style zany. "Let's go sniper on 'em! Zoom and boom!" made me want to cringe. But overall it doesn't get too annoying.

The length: Well, I dunno. I put in two hours and already feel like I'm in the second act. Howlongtobeat estimates it at six hours, meaning yes, I have just started the second act. 6h is kinda short for a third-person shooter. Maybe they were banking on multiplayer.

The verdict: Is this a bad game? No. It's clunky in parts, it feels like they were still working out the kinks in mechanisms they'd polish in future games, it feels a touch too easy for a "normal mode" game, but it's not bad. But does it hold up? ...Not really. These days there are better TPSes out there. If you need a tight cover system in your TPSes, avoid this game. If, however, you can look past janky cover, want a bit of light-hearted fun, and prefer your TPS combat in the "Mass Effect 1, we don't need no stinkin' cover, best defense is a good offense" camp, then maybe you'd get a few hours of enjoyment out of this.
Very nice write-up, thanks!

Sch1sm

The Fall 2 to be released Q1 2017

Time to get my shit together and finish the first one :p

Yeah, I better install and play it so I can pick it up no problem. Oh boy. I haven't actually played much in months. Not a single game while I was on vacation, and barely scratched Kentucky Route Zero outside of Act I. In a slump, pretty much.

Damn, that sucks. Telltale is never going to fix that damn engine, are they?

We'll see with TWD S3, maybe, they claimed updates to it, right?

Grief.exe

The Fall 2 to be released Q1 2017

Time to get my shit together and finish the first one :p

Yeah, I better install and play it so I can pick it up no problem. Oh boy. I haven't actually played much in months. Not a single game while I was on vacation, and barely scratched Kentucky Route Zero outside of Act I. In a slump, pretty much.

It's short and a well made game, so you can get through it very quickly.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Baron_Calamity, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sometimes Success Requires Sacrifice -- MB-FC4ADDF5089FB866 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Pressured -- MB-C3AA5C023EBD6059

t1470237669z1.png

Sorry for the noobish question but is there any way to map steam's screenshot function to an x-input button without any additional software like JoyToKey?

I play a lot of fighting games on an arcade stick and it would be cool to take screens of clutch moments without fumbling for the keyboard.

Ludens

Banned
Getting the real ending in Suikoden is kinda obtuse, I just got cut out because I needed to win an (apparently) unwinnable fight with Pahn and since it was kinda hard, I supposed it was one of those unwinnable fights, instead if you go around the world fully equipping Pahn before that fight with his ultimate gear, you can win the fight and get the good ending. But of course if you don't use a guide, how can you know that? I mean, I'm not even underleveled, that character was like level 42. Bah.

Nzyme32

Haha, burned through two Gigabyte GTX 1060 cards, both of which had absurd levels of coil whine. MSI GTX 1060 was indeed the way to go, cheaper and flawless. Thank god for Scan UK, who let me waltz in with my PC and test through them.

Now to enjoy some games finally. Never had an issue with graphics cards since 2007, and that was due to using ebay and some guy that overclocked his cards too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom