• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

the evil within spoilers!

aww shit not you too johnny depp

evilwithin_2016_08_03vpy5k.jpg

this game is so pretty

rtcn63

Almost everyone in TEW is attractive. Seb, Kidman, the nurse. Joe ain't so bad if you're into the bespectacled hikikomori type.

With Mankind Divided on the horizon, and having just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, here are some impressions for those of you who haven't played it...you know, both of you:

The story: The year is 2027, a sort of alternate near-future where cybernetic enhancements (aka "augmentations") are a relatively popular phenomenon - for people who can afford to get them and then take the stabilizing drug known as neuropozyne - but it's not without its controversy and its opponents who want to see it regulated. You play Adam Jensen, a cop-turned-security officer at Sarif Industries, an augementation technology firm. A terrorist attack at your firm leaves you wounded in one arm and your chest, but while you're unconscious, your boss says "Fuck it...augment ALL the things!" so once you wake up you've got augmentations in both arms, both legs, your chest, your back, your head...but of course, since you're still injured, you can activate them piecemeal with software (hence the upgrade system.) Even though "you never asked for this," you've got a job to do, mainly, figure out who's behind the terrorist attacks, bring them to justice, and maybe decide the fate of humanity while you're at it.

As far as a AAA game goes, it's a pretty good story. It does get a bit heavy-handed at times, but it also does a good job as painting each character as not fully good or not fully evil, and with justification for their ideals and actions. That includes yourself.

There are multiple endings, and I won't spoil them, but I really wish your actions leading up to the endgame would help you decide (or even make your decision for you.) Getting all the endings is a trivial exercise, so even though they're all great sequences, they lose most of their impact when you just save/load to watch the next one.

The gameplay: It's designed as a stealth game, but if you want you can play it as an action game. You can sneak around, trying not to activate alarms or have the enemies be alerted, quietly knocking them out, or you can melee kill them, or just shoot them in the fucking head. It's up to you! (Only there's an achievement for beating the game without killing anyone - bosses excluded, you gotta kill something like 3 or 4 - so you should try to play it as a stealth game at least once.) I am by no means good at stealth games, because I'm impatient, so I did a LOT of save/reloading that I could have avoided by just waiting in the first place. Still, the gameplay was pretty fun, even for a genre I'm not really into.

The graphics: They hold up. It's been five years or so, but I thought it looked really good, especially the artsy cutscenes that try to make the game look more poignant than it is. They could have spent a little more to get better mouth animation to sync up with the dialogue. It's not "ba ba ba" bad, but it's noticeable that they just went with "general idea of talking."

The dialogue and audio: Jensen's voice does get a little tiring after a while. He sounds broody even when he's being sarcastic. There are no real famous voice actors I could identify, but I did like the voice of your boss, David Sarif, who sounds like a CEO: part smarmy huckster, part sly politician, part boss who tries to be your best friend. The dialogue in no way sounded bad or unnatural, except maybe for some of the Chinese characters speaking English. You could tell there were focus group meetings trying to find just the right note: sound authentic without being racist.

The length: It took me about 38 hours to complete. I got all but three achievements (I missed the one playing on hard difficulty, the one getting all the books, and the one for not tripping any alarms.) "How long to beat" says 42 hours for "completionist" so...I guess I'm about there.

The verdict: Even though it's not my genre of choice, I enjoyed this game. Definitely worth it to buy and play, especially when a Steam sale rolls around.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Would my rig be able to handle it?

i5 2500K CPU @ 3.3 GHZ (4 CPUS)
GPU : amd radeon HD 6970

8.00 GB RAM

I don't know how big of a difference 6970/7970 is...

From a quick look at benchmarks it seems the 7970 is around 40% faster than the 6970. Assuming the 2GB VRAM is enough, 30fps should be achievable with a reduced setting or two. You can submit a refund request if performance is sub-par, provided you haven't played the game for more than two hours.

anyone want a beta invite for For Honor?

I'd like to try it out if it's still available.

After Windows 10 started supporting Xbox One controller natively, the OS no longer recognizes XBone controller as Xbox360 controller, and Telltale games couldn't detect my controller because it wasn't a 360 one.

Yeah that's the issue, this is my first TellTale game that I've played with a XB1 controller.

Who do I believe

Both of us, it's a toss up between good performance and bad according to all the posts in the thread about it.

Anteater

Depending on what's still coming maybe spoiler-tag those TEW screenshots?

i don't know, these are corridors that you can't tell where you are (they all look essentially the same lol) but i'll spoiler tag them!

edit: now i can't force people to look at my screenshots with these stupid spoiler tags

Ozium

Hello Divers! We hope you're enjoying ABZÛ! We've pushed out a new update for the game. Details below.

- Added support for changing the language in the options menu.

- Fixed fullscreen/windowed option.

- Fullscreen now runs at desktop resolution.

- More resolution scale settings, and it now shows the final resolution.

patch notes for recent ABZU update

derExperte

Steam non-beta update, fonts got fixed.

i don't know, these are corridors that you can't tell where you are (they all look essentially the same lol) but i'll spoiler tag them!

It's more about the monster or rather others coming up, post as many dank corridors as you like, just saying if there's something else don't forget to tag that.

oipic

With Mankind Divided on the horizon, and having just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, here are some impressions for those of you who haven't played it...you know, both of you

Great review! Agreed on all points, hat guy.

Much like with Dishonored, I've long been tempted to replay Human Revolution, but this time with undue violence in mind (I got through with no kills, aside from the unavoidable, in both, I think). Might give it a go while caught up in the Mankind Divided hype (which I don't think I'll be playing anytime soon - if indeed I play anything, but that's another story).

If anyone out there is looking to play through Human Revolution now or in future, and you're at all into design or architecture, be sure to look up often - best ceilings ever.

Parsnip

Ucchedavāda;212306250 said:
So I managed to partially restore the partition table that Windows Update nuked. Not enough to give me a working OS, but enough that I can easily copy stuff off it.

Is there any weird places I need to look to make sure that I copy every game-related file? That's about the only thing on there that is worth saving. I've copied C:Users, C:programData, and will be copying SteamApps as well to save time.
Windows didn't nuke the partition, "classicshell” did. Fosshubb was hacked or something and the main download link for classicshell was something nasty, there's a thread about it over at classicshell forums.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
wait the fo4 season pass is 50 bucks base

wtf

Yeah, they increased the price after they announced all the content

giphy.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Lost Island -- MB-7327DD79250A851B - Taken by Sarcasm

Just found out about this little hidden gem. It looks like a faster-paced retro Zelda game.

It's been a while since the last time I'm interested in retro indie JRPG. Whistlisted.

Just found out about this little hidden gem. It looks like a faster-paced retro Zelda game.

It's been a while since the last time I'm interested in retro indie JRPG. Whistlisted.

I've had that in my Steam library for the longest time, still in early access but it's a damn fine game.

Right on. I linked this thread to this game a couple days ago. It is looking really good. The action is like a 2D character action game, though less combos. It's more satisfying than fighting in Zelda is what I'm saying.

Eila

I've had that in my Steam library for the longest time, still in early access but it's a damn fine game.

Same here, grabbed it from that one killer bundle. Been waiting for the full release, as it looks just like my kind of thing.
Also been eyeing Secrets of Grindea, but again since it's still early access I can wait :)

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, they increased the price after they announced all the content

i knew about this (and i actually dont think it's that bad of an idea) but $50 sounds crazy to me

like unless the dlc amounts to a freaking fallout 5 that feels like a stupid amount of money to ask

Someone (you know who you are!) asked me if Rogue Trooper held up over the years. So I put in two hours to answer that question. (So, disclaimer, I didn't finish the game yet.) Does it hold up? The answer could surprise you!

The story: There's a war going on for some reason on Nu Earth (not explained whether it's a different planet than Earth or merely something post-apocalyptic.) The Southerners/Southlanders/whatever use blue-skinned genetically-modified (dare I say...augmented? It is an Eidos game after all) infantry - "G.I.s" - and are apparently the good guys. The Nordlanders/Norts are basically Nazi-analogues. And we all know that German accents = evil. You play Rogue, a woman from Louisiana with the power to absorb other mutant powers a member of a GI squadron, along with Gunner, Bagman and Helm. Gunner quickly dies, and Rogue cuts him open to take out a "biochip" which still has his personality or something, and he uses it as a targeting system in his...gun. Then Bagman dies and Rogue uses his biochip for a manufacture and upgrade system...for his bag. Then Helm gets captured, and both sensing a theme and noticing a biochip-shaped indentation in my helmet, I didn't have high hopes for him. He becomes your electronic hacking system...in your helm.

And since you disobeyed the order to retreat since you were going after Helm...you went rogue. It's at this point I need to mention the game was made in 2006 in the PS2 era, and not 1998 for the N64. I sure hope it's explained why they named a GI "Rogue" as if they were intending for him to do just that. Anyway...bottom line is now you're apparently a one-man army going after the Norts and probably having to fend off your own allies because you're apparently a deserter now. It's...very simple, and more than a bit campy.

The gameplay: It's weird playing this game having played future Eidos games, and seeing the seeds of those games in Rogue Trooper. It's mostly an action game but you have the option to play with stealth and do melee kills from behind (just like Deus Ex HR,) it's got some janky cover shooting with blindfire or duck-out fire - luckily this got better ovver the years - and it has a salvage system where you can salvage bodies or piles of junk to upgrade weapons and such, just like Tomb Raider 2013.

The game presents several options to complete objectives - use your assault rifle as a turret, create distractions, etc. - but you'll find shooting in the game is sufficiently easy that you won't want to bother. I'm playing on normal, so maybe those other options make more sense on hard mode.

The graphics: Hooboy. This sure is a PS2 game. I'm playing in the max resolution: 1280 x 1024. They have a widescreen option but the highest one there is 1280 x 768...so yeah. The textures are fine for 2006 but they conserved polygons like there was a shortage and they'd need some later. It's hard to believe Deus Ex HR came out a mere five years after this.

The characters are pretty badly designed. There's one female character who they wanted to give an absurdly bubbly butt such that her legs had to take on Liefeldian proportions to support it, and consequently she walks like she's got scoliosis.

The dialogue: Your teammates/equipment banter with you and each other as you play. It alternates between funny and "whoa, radical man, I'm tryin' too hard" 90s-style zany. "Let's go sniper on 'em! Zoom and boom!" made me want to cringe. But overall it doesn't get too annoying.

The length: Well, I dunno. I put in two hours and already feel like I'm in the second act. Howlongtobeat estimates it at six hours, meaning yes, I have just started the second act. 6h is kinda short for a third-person shooter. Maybe they were banking on multiplayer.

The verdict: Is this a bad game? No. It's clunky in parts, it feels like they were still working out the kinks in mechanisms they'd polish in future games, it feels a touch too easy for a "normal mode" game, but it's not bad. But does it hold up? ...Not really. These days there are better TPSes out there. If you need a tight cover system in your TPSes, avoid this game. If, however, you can look past janky cover, want a bit of light-hearted fun, and prefer your TPS combat in the "Mass Effect 1, we don't need no stinkin' cover, best defense is a good offense" camp, then maybe you'd get a few hours of enjoyment out of this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sure, they're good books. They're not essential to understanding the events in the games, as they take place before the games, but they're still good reads and help to flesh out the world and events.

Unfortunately the last book in the series, The Lady of the Lake, still lacks an 'official' translation into English. Don't know if that's an issue for you.

Well, I mean I'm not sure if I should read them before doing Witcher 2-3 or AFTER. I know the Last Wish had a short story BEFORE the events of the Witcher 1
and then you basically repeat it's story with the whole of Chapter 5's main monster in a way
so I read that before starting this one. If there's stories that flesh out in Witcher 2 as supplements, I'll read those before starting that one. Not that I'm going to start it right after this. But just saying. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom