• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2016 - No Man's Sky will leave Mankind Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing Slain. I die a lot (probably more than the average player does...again, because I'm impatient.) I pass a few levels, I feel accomplished...then I discover you only get achievements for beating a boss without losing any health or passing a level without dying.

I realize I'm probably never getting these achievements, ever. It's sad: if this game had no achievements at all I'd probably finish it and once I do, feel good about myself for beating a difficult game. But with them like this, I could finish the game and have just as many achievements as I do right now...in other words, beating the game won't make me feel accomplished because I wasn't good enough to do it perfectly...so why bother?

And I hate feeling that way, too: I know achievements are meaningless and they shouldn't matter, and yet, I feel hamstrung by them.

There's an achievement for beating the entire game without dying. Yeah, good luck with that one. On the bright side, you have probably gotten the '100 deaths' achievement by now.

Ucchedavāda;212379362 said:
There's an achievement for beating the entire game without dying. Yeah, good luck with that one. On the bright side, you have probably gotten the '100 deaths' achievement by now.

Yes, I did. :)

I hate it when beating a game doesn't award an achievement. The X360 version of The Last Remnant required players to complete every single sidequest (several of them easily missable), defeat all of the optional superbosses, then beat a superpowered version of the final boss, just to get the "win the game" achievement.

rdytoroll

I can't bring myself to pre-order this game until I know the quality of the PC version.
Too many different companies coming out with complete trash PC ports these days. Squeenix isn't exempted.

All major PC titles are now guilty of shit ports until proven innocent in my mind.

I feel you. That's where I'm at right now too, think I'll wait till reviews are out at least

JarrodL

Be very careful when doing this -- locking Russian-keyed games to Russian-language-only is one of the standard techniques Steam and various publishers use to prevent the abuse of the market.

The only publisher on Steam who does that is Ubisoft, if I'm not mistaken.

EA does that as well for major releases on Origin.

Main reason why I only ever buy games from either of them at a significant discount, if at all. Fuck shitty practices like this.

Knurek

The only publisher on Steam who does that is Ubisoft, if I'm not mistaken.

EA does that as well for major releases on Origin.

EA is fucking terrible with this, since they group Polish and Russian versions together and forcibly disable bloody English language in them.

derExperte

I want to play AW's campaign, but I have zero interest in multiplayer and I'm not going to drop $30 for 5-6 hours of playtime.

CDKeys. Or wait until I post another good German sale, could've gotten you AW retail for 6€ in February. Also single player is 8-9hrs, good length.

So.. should I update or wait?

Update. Waiting is for the soft and the X1 controller fixes are worth it alone.

Bought Batman

Hope it runs alright

Deactivate cloud saves in game. And make sure you aren't one of those numbnuts who turned off Windows 7 updates, never installed them manually and are now wondering why some new game doesn't start while screaming at the dev.

Well there are a huge number of people who will swarm and defend Telltale. Claim they never had a problem. No save issues, no performance issues, and no bugs. The engine they are currently using is only 5 years old (started with Jurassic Park) so maybe in 5 years they will have it figured out or a new engine. :(

Batman uses their new-ish engine.

dex3108

It's quite surprising to see SE added some old EU2 countries on the RU+CIS/BR/IN package. I remember to see those big three regions as a common lock on a single package months ago, but I wouldn't suspect that SE could add some balkans countries on it.

It is still only for key activation. Prices on Steam are same as for other EU countries and you can't activate Steam Gift from CIS.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way I can rebind keys in Dark Soul like all at once? The default keyboard controls are... something.

Relatedly, is there a way to make the camera control with mousefix not ass?

Nzyme32

Witcher 2 with everything switched on and ubersampling is so lovely, but even today I can't get it to fully stick to 60fps in certain areas. Oh so close, yet still so far. More games should be so ridiculous when they release, even though Witcher 2 has always been pretty poor with performance

Salsa

No. I've watched enough footage of the game now to conclude that it's definitely not for me.

can you pinpoint this, in terms of mechanics and all, even if spoilered

legit asking. I havent kept up with anything

wont have money anyway but I do wonder

Nzyme32

y'all buyin' NMS?

Nope. Not seen any PC info at all, not even seen enough info on the game to bother right now - and current impressions are kind of looking like it has a lot more marketing hype than much else

Deus Ex MD is what I have put my money down on, mostly as a fan of the OG game and HR to a less degree. The PC footage seemed solid enough but I purposely avoided watching too much since its story stuff.

Mafia 3 will be the next one to get my money, again as a fan of Mafia 1 and 2, and things looking decent to this point - and the poor justification that it is so close to my birthday that I might as well.

Steam refund being available is the only reason I don't mind putting money down, since if these suck, I'll just swap for any the other games I want

AHA-Lambda

y'all buyin' NMS?

nfw2fi0.gif

Ozium

Not My Style.

No. I've watched enough footage of the game now to conclude that it's definitely not for me.

Where's the waaagh in that?

I can already get the same experience by cleaning my bathroom though

Nope. Not seen any PC info at all, not even seen enough info on the game to bother right now - and current impressions are kind of looking like it has a lot more marketing hype than much else

Wow @ people who don't believe in Sean.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Mozilla is the worst. Following their recommended practices, Enhanced Steam is being updated to comply with their new security settings.

Surprisingly, everything works great in Firefox 50. But 48 and 49, it still throws error messages.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, unfortunately, Enhanced Steam is probably going to suck a bit until Firefox 50 releases.

Nzyme32

Wow @ people who don't believe in Sean.

#marketing.

Joke responses aside. I'll believe in the game when I have something to properly go on to guage whether it is going to be great for me. The hype behind it is as stupid as the hype behind Cyberpunk, when all that has is a CG teaser trailer. It's not enough to go on name alone. I need something details of gameplay / narative that I know I can get interested in. NMS has exploration and procedural generation, and that's it. Not enough detail to "hook" me. Deus Ex / Mafia 3 have past games I have loved, gameplay footage and more in depth discussion of mechanics, narrative ideas etc. Even if NMS needs to keep quiet in an Undertale kind of way, as I did with that, I'd be waiting on impressions from others before biting.

Meanwhile, Sean Bean; that's a voice I can get behind - I'm off to pre-order Civ VI.... oh look at those bollocks UK prices, perhaps not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom