• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite how absurd they often were I always loved physx effects. I remember spending hours in Alice, Metro and Batman just fucking around with the dynamic particles and I'm a little sad that's not something that's just become the norm. The original version of 2033 had far, far superior renditions of smoke and gun particles to the remastered version. Probably best in the long term that non proprietary solutions prevailed but fuck if the years old stuff isn't far better and completely unsurpassed. Sucks

I'm playing Slime Rancher and I'm surprised that it isn't nearly as fun as it looks. The UI and general flow of the game feel at odds with the gameplay itself; it's about experimenting with slimes for maximum yields, but instead of, like, a single screen for managing everything, it's this giant open world. So actions that should take seconds are minutes long affairs, at best. I get that it's supposed to be about exploration and discovery, but the systems as presented seriously interfere with that goal.

It has really good art direction, but I just don't get what they used their Early Access time for; everything outside of that still feels unpolished.

Kaleinc

Banned
Playing through Alice: Madness Returns and it really makes me miss the over the top PhysX effects from that era, especially now that it actually runs well on modern hardware.
The time has come when Pepper Grinder isn't murdering each and every GPU?

Arminsc

The gameplay is fairly run of the mill stuff but well done, it doesn't get an award for innovation but one for quality.

The asthethics and the OST are great and just get better in the more recent content.

The story of ARR was kinda boring and basic tbh but the heavensward one is genuinely interesting.

Unfortunately you're going to have to slog through quite some filler and grinding in the ARR content but in heavensward that's so pretty much eliminated.

The dungeons, raids and trials are all really, really fun, tho for the first 100 hours of playtime they won't be any challenging for you. Only in the ARR post story content they start to require skill and thought.

The entire ARR content i.e. the first 100 hours have some really big downs to the point that I can imagine a lot of people quitting on it, but afterwards it becomes an absolute blast.

If you feel threatened by the prospect of slugging through filler and grinding you can buy a starterpack for real money somewhere that boosts you straight into heavensward content, you'll always be able to watch the ARR cutscenes and replay old content.

Best thing about FFXIV is that you don't need an established party or guild to enjoy the content of the game, matchmaking and LFG-tools all are ace and the community is really friendly and welcoming of newcomers

I'd recommend it, played it for 200 hours over the last few months and am about to wrap up heavensward

Looks like it's worth it to put the time to get past the ARR content, so I'll probably give it a try and at least try to get through it.
Just saw the complete edition it's selling for about 20€ on cdkeys so it's not a huge investment for that if it includes at least the initial month.
The thing is I'm through a time in which nothing on my backlog looks interesting enough for me to play it, and just need a time filler so I don't die of boredom haha

Polished MMO in a juicy Final Fantasy wrapper, with 90% of the game being super accessible for the casual player. It's also damn pretty, and has enough diversions that you can pretty much find some activity you enjoy to focus on that.

Just don't roll a potato.

Having randoms stuff to do is always enjoyable!
I'm pretty decided to give it a go. Thanks for the comments guys!

Looks like it's worth it to put the time to get past the ARR content, so I'll probably give it a try and at least try to get through it.
Just saw the complete edition it's selling for about 20€ on cdkeys so it's not a huge investment for that if it includes at least the initial month.
The thing is I'm through a time in which nothing on my backlog looks interesting enough for me to play it, and just need a time filler so I don't die of boredom haha

Having randoms stuff to do is always enjoyable!
I'm pretty decided to give it a go. Thanks for the comments guys!

Don't forget to join a linkshell (preferably Gaf' one) to minimize the boring early levels.

Linkshell is like a Free Company (or guild in other MMOs) but not really a FC. Its only purpose is to socialize and talk about anything that particular linkshell is all about. You can join multiple linkshells while you can only join one FC.

Echoplx

The time has come when Pepper Grinder isn't murdering each and every GPU?

There are a few tweaks you can do to improve performance without much loss of quality, but yeah the pepper grinder can still bring my fps down to ~50 on a 970, to be fair I'm running the game at 3200x1800.

Arminsc

Don't forget to join a linkshell (preferably Gaf' one) to minimize the boring early levels.

Linkshell is like a Free Company (or guild in other MMOs) but not really a FC. Its only purpose is to socialize and talk about anything that particular linkshell is all about. You can join multiple linkshells while you can only join one FC.

Awesome, the social part of an MMO was something that I was after too, so that souds cool.

Anno

Prolly gonna jump on this. Should I play D1 first tho?

You should because it's a great game. Otherwise it's not really necessary unless you really care about the lore of the universe and want a continuing storyline. 2 is an improvement over the first in most every way gameplay wise.

Aaron D.

RraiQut.jpg

Well this game looks interesting. It's billed as a The Long Dark meets The Thing mashup.

Don't let the screenshots fool you, it looks really sweet in motion (i.e. Isometric but not static - full 360 camera, nice lighting and animations, etc.)

Looks like there's a Demo on the Steam page.

Color me intrigued.

whats cdkeys like for preorders think I might grab fifa on there a few days before its out as it seems to be the cheapest?

They are usually really good, like you get your key before it goes live, for most games you get it right away. One game I didnt get the key before it went live via VPN so I was pissed at the time but in hindsight I got the key before it actually released in my country so I cant complain.

whats cdkeys like for preorders think I might grab fifa on there a few days before its out as it seems to be the cheapest?

Their prices slowly creep up as a game gets closer to release and then they start dropping again a few weeks after. If you're sure you want to pre-order a game it's best to do it about 3-4 weeks before release.

I was just going through the new crates in PUBG and saw this

I didn't know that proceeds from the crate were being given to charity. That's actually pretty cool. They might have done this because of the backlash to the microtransaction stuff. Also, and this is a bit cynical, but I suspect they know that the real money will come from the Steam market because...

The items are color coded by rarity and the single rarest item is the short skirt from the schoolgirl outfit. In fact, the rarest item in every crate is a mini skirt. They are going to make tons of money on these items in the market. Especially since the crate is only available for 3 weeks.

lets hope with new engine , they will do better port job ...
. but who am I kidding

They won't. This is KT we're talking about.

Is it wrong that I am enjoying The Surge more than Dark Souls? I mean it is definitely not a better game, but it is just more enjoyable to me. The combat is very satisfying, maybe its the setting that I like more. I am kind of burned out of "fantasy".

Well, there's only one thing to say now:

Have fun!

Don't hype me more! I need to wait for sales.

Glad to hear it! It's honestly my favorite JRPG series - the writing and especially worldbuilding are virtually unparalleled, not to mention the excellent music. Be sure you do side quests and talk to NPCs, too - it's well worth it.

Will definitely do! I enjoy immersing myself in rpgs and unlocking all the stories. Good music is the cherry on top.

MUnited83

For you.
Their prices slowly creep up as a game gets closer to release and then they start dropping again a few weeks after. If you're sure you want to pre-order a game it's best to do it about 3-4 weeks before release.

I was just going through the new crates in PUBG and saw this

I didn't know that proceeds from the crate were being given to charity. That's actually pretty cool. They might have done this because of the backlash to the microtransaction stuff. Also, and this is a bit cynical, but I suspect they know that the real money will come from the Steam market because...

The items are color coded by rarity and the single rarest item is the short skirt from the schoolgirl outfit. In fact, the rarest item in every crate is a mini skirt. They are going to make tons of money on these items in the market. Especially since the crate is only available for 3 weeks.

They won't. This is KT we're talking about.

Part of the proceeds were always going to charity, this was announced at the same time the crates were. It wasn't done because of the backlash.

Mivey

First you play d1 and d2 then comes ddd: kingdom hearts and d4
I second this part especially. You wouldn't believe the intricate connections between the two immersive sims set in a steampunk/whalepunk world and some childs fever dream about Disney characters.

Javier23

Banned
oh damn I won the PUBG giveaway!

thanks anonymous sir
It's a big timesink. Really fun. Mind you, it takes a bit of time to warm up to the game. First experiences can be a bit catastrophic (and mostly boring) til you get a handle on it.

fuzaco

Jeez, Cold Steel's concurrent peak users is lower than both SC and 3rd...

It's a late port with a 40$ pricetag, and there was close to zero marketing for it. It's also part of a connected long-running series, and people might not know that this is a fine starting point.

Mivey

Jeez, Cold Steel's concurrent peak users is lower than both SC and 3rd...
It's still at a nice position at the Global Top sellers list. It's too early for doom and gloom yet. I would say the first useful data point would come on August 5 from SteamSpy, and then in September you could draw a final conclusion. I would hope for at least something between SC and FC.

Furthermore, this time they didn't need to spend a dime on translation. The VA might have been expensive, but beyond that and Durantes fee there is probably nothing they had to spend. Even just 30 or 50K at full price would be enough for a nice profit, I gather.

Pachimari

Kingdom Come: Deliverance finally has a store page and a release date.

Yeeeees!!! Been waiting years for this one. [edit] Wait, this one's been on the store page for a long time, already had it wishlisted.

Which mods do I have to have installed for Mafia 3? I heard about one that improves the visuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom