• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam curator warns players if Sweet Baby is involved in a game

laynelane

Wow! WOW! A+
Now this is a pleasant surprise

Tractor Supply Co (the store chain) is dropping DEI. Sound reasons through and through.

Kevin O’Leary (Shark Tank) dropping truth bombs for two minutes

(It’s short, but brutally true)

Someone actually said it - customers are the number one priority. Of course, it's something we've all been saying for a while now but this is on a different scale. He's right about the futility of putting the responsibility of social change on the backs of businesses too. He also said the pendulum is swinging back and I hope that is the case too.

Doczu

Wow! WOW! A+

Tractor Supply Co (the store chain) is dropping DEI. Sound reasons through and through.

I'm very happy to hear that, but guys, don't forget that it's "Tractor Cupply Co".

Now i'm no expert at supplying farming machines, but (correct me if i'm wrong), theythems aren't known to be farmers and tractor mechanics.
Wake me up when an entertainment company comes to stage and openly states their they/them programs are officially was/were from now on.

Doczu

Is woke culture and companies like SBI the official worst thing that’s ever happened to the videogame industry? The industry has a long history of historical events that changed games and the industry forever. Does this top everything as the worst?
Going mainstream is the worst that happened. SBI is a symptom, not a cause.

Remember the most powerfull curse of them all: "may your hobby become mainstream!"

Jesb

Going mainstream is the worst that happened. SBI is a symptom, not a cause.

Remember the most powerfull curse of them all: "may your hobby become mainstream!"
Yeah this may be it right here. It comes with pros and cons but a lot of cons come with it. You can associate a lot of the bad stuff like micro transactions, gaas, sweet baby, and who knows what else from going mainstream. It’s truly the cancer.

Sephimoth

Ffs

YIO2y0j.png

laynelane

I really want to know what kind of DEI strategies a farming/tractor company was going to have. It's just so funny to me.

One of the things mentioned in the video was DEI hires. I don't know if that means firing the existing ones or just not hiring any more, though.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Wow! WOW! A+

Well said. This is the shit thats destroying current gaming too. Companies hiring diversity instead of talents

Last edited:

Bernardougf

I'm very happy to hear that, but guys, don't forget that it's "Tractor Cupply Co".

Now i'm no expert at supplying farming machines, but (correct me if i'm wrong), theythems aren't known to be farmers and tractor mechanics.
Wake me up when an entertainment company comes to stage and openly states their they/them programs are officially was/were from now on.
Every company no matter what they do suffers from DEI, because the moment your HR start hiring and doing policies based on DEI is the moment you start loosing money, every job is important and every hire should be based on skill and merits alone, workplace conditions and interactions also change with DEI/WOKE policies, this is like a cancer that enters your business and just grow inside making everything about itself and not about what matters, making fucking money.

I can guarantee you that aside from terrible storytelling and some weird looking characters, games are taking longer and coming out in worst and worst shape because of this, you definitely dont have 100% of the most qualified development team in a lot of companies. I would not be shocked in discovering that lets say 50% of the work force in some studio are not the most qualified people for their job and just got hired because some stupid DEI reason.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Many Nordic game companies are embracing Sweet Baby and DEI things at the moment. I don't know why. I guess thinking with your own brain is too over-rated.
Tech companies in western/northern europe are super woke, hell it even came here to eastern europe too, im not saying every employe is woke, just heads/ppl in charge, or at least, they pretend to be, expect tons more western games pandering to alphabet comunity, tansformers and feminism.

Portugeezer

Tech companies in western/northern europe are super woke, hell it even came here to eastern europe too, im not saying every employe is woke, just heads/ppl in charge, or at least, they pretend to be, expect tons more western games pandering to alphabet comunity, tansformers and feminism.
I always felt like eastern Europe companies had more of a "live and let live" attitude.

That could have changed because Europe loves to import US culture war nonsense.

Doczu

I always felt like eastern Europe companies had more of a "live and let live" attitude.

That could have changed because Europe loves to import US culture war nonsense.
The political/social brainrot came to us as a byproduct of globalisation and heavy corporate expansion in (for example) Poland. Alle thr big companies with their fancy mindfulness trainings, universities subverted by activists: we have it too and in some cases we are going overboard just to keep up with the west 😐

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
a cancer that enters your business and just grow inside making everything about itself and not about what matters, making fucking money.
ualified development team in a lot of companies. I would not be shocked in discovering that lets say 50% of the work force in some studio are not the most qualified people for their job and just got hired because some stupid DEI reason.

Given the layoffs by "redundancies" happening, it's safe to say that figure may be accurate. We already know there's a bunch of useless people doing nothing productive at work, but what we see is always the tip of the iceberg. Useless idiots tend to hang around with more useless idiots, so if you put one of those in a managerial position, it's pretty obvious which profiles they will hire.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The political/social brainrot came to us as a byproduct of globalisation and heavy corporate expansion in (for example) Poland. Alle thr big companies with their fancy mindfulness trainings, universities subverted by activists: we have it too and in some cases we are going overboard just to keep up with the west 😐
Lol I remember our HR tried to bring in all that Mindfulness nonsense into our workplace, was utterly embarrassing, half of us sat their on our phones working and when I was asked by HR in the room did I see anything worthwhile implementing into my team I told her flat out, fuck no and that it was a waste of time, she just stared at me like a deer in headlights, later that afternoon my Director called me in saying I wasn't taking this shit seriously and I said where the fuck where you, you where on the invite and he lol says back nah waste of my time and load of bollocks (I've known my director for over 25yrs and we have a no holds barred relationship) needless to say everyone deleted the presentation and we never got any more of that American corporate shite introduced

Humdinger

One of the lessons of that Tractor Supply story is that boycotts work. The management was responsive to complaints because they had seen how costly embracing DEI had been for other companies - Budweiser, etc. They knew their customer base. They realized, "Uh oh. We fucked up. We had better fix this, or we will pay."

I hope SBI and other anti-woke efforts will eventually have a similar impact on gaming companies. I'm not optimistic, though. SBI is on a much smaller scale than the nationwide (worldwide) boycott of Bud Light. And we don't have definitive proof that any boycott significantly impacts sales - a lot of woke games seem to sell just fine. We certainly don't have anything near the massive loss in market cap Budweiser suffered, right after their campaign. And we are seeing most developers ignore criticism and write it off as racism, sexism, etc.

Well, at least SBI helps individual gamers avoid woke games.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
One of the lessons of that Tractor Supply story is that boycotts work. The management was responsive to complaints because they had seen how costly embracing DEI had been for other companies - Budweiser, etc. They knew their customer base. They realized, "Uh oh. We fucked up. We had better fix this, or we will pay."

I hope SBI and other anti-woke efforts will eventually have a similar impact on gaming companies. I'm not optimistic, though. SBI is on a much smaller scale than the nationwide (worldwide) boycott of Bud Light. And we don't have definitive proof that any boycott significantly impacts sales - a lot of woke games seem to sell just fine. We certainly don't have anything near the massive loss in market cap Budweiser suffered, right after their campaign. And we are seeing most developers ignore criticism and write it off as racism, sexism, etc.

The massive layoffs we are witnessing in Western gaming companies are mostly due to DEI. So, there's quite a bit of evidence. It's not only about sales decrease but reducing profitability.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Mining, construction and sewage companies should embrace DEI. I really want to see some women sewage cleaners, construction workers or miners
I’ve never seen a woman mechanic ever in my life. I use Uber to work every day and only once the driver was female. Her first comment to me was “Why did you put the seatbelt immediately after you got in. You think i’m a bad driver?” I was so confused.

Bernardougf

I’ve never seen a woman mechanic ever in my life. I use Uber to work every day and only once the driver was female. Her first comment to me was “Why did you put the seatbelt immediately after you got in. You think i’m a bad driver?” I was so confused.
Here in my town we have a "lady uber" is a very nice service that offers security for transportation of women and children using only woman drivers ... this kind of thing can be very good and any type of inclusion when well thought and done with purpose can work 100%.

Hudo

Lmao. The very same thing happened to me with a female Uber driver as well.

JayK47

LOL. Women mechanics? Sure. In every movie, show, and video game. In many YouTube channels. Miraculously, they keep perfectly clean. No grime under nails or callouses on their hands.

I have never seen one in the wild though.

laynelane

I don't have a problem with woke games in and of themselves. People can make what they want to make and if it resonates, they'll find an audience. My issue is pushing that ideology into existing franchises. I think you're right in that those sell just fine, but only if the DEI is not excessive. A good example is Spider-man 2 and Saints Row. Spider-man 2 sold on past successes and IP recognition. It was only after purchase that people noticed things were a little off. Saints Row made it clear, from the first reveal and cover art, that you were getting a heavily DEI-influenced product and it failed to sell.

For me, a lot of this DEI stuff has been selling well only because it's often packaged in strong and recognizable IPs. Thing is, people are getting tired of it and tools are being developed to identify it (like DEI detected, for example). One thing about the Budweiser boycott was that people could easily buy another kind of beer, but it's not the same with games - especially with regards to IPs. The "boycott" equivalent with the gaming community will take longer to take effect, I think, for all the above reasons.

Edit: I miss-clicked and initially put the wrong emote on your post. Thought I should clarify it was a mistake - migraines and computer stuff are not necessarily compatible. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

Doczu

There are many. Your patriarchy level clouds your

LOL. Women mechanics? Sure. In every movie, show, and video game. In many YouTube channels. Miraculously, they keep perfectly clean. No grime under nails or callouses on their hands.

I have never seen one in the wild though.
I've seen two and they ain't your vidya beauty queens, but both times my car was repaired for a fair price and i was scolded like a child for doing a shitty job at taking care of my wheels.
That's how fetishes are born lads, now i want my wife to whisper in my ear it's time to change the oil

Humdinger

The massive layoffs we are witnessing in Western gaming companies are mostly due to DEI. So, there's quite a bit of evidence. It's not only about sales decrease but reducing profitability.

Well, I don't know. The statement that "massive layoffs are mostly due to DEI" is your/our inference. But is that the companies' inference? Because that's what matters. Not our beliefs, but the companies' beliefs. As you know, massive layoffs can be attributed to a wide range of factors (e.g., general economic issues, costs of development, poor sales due to a variety of other factors, etc.), not just to DEI initiatives. Unless the companies themselves are drawing a straight line between depressed sales and DEI initiatives, it isn't evidence in the same sense as I was alluding to.

I mean, Budweiser saw their sales tank by 25% immediately following their Dylan Mulvaney commercials. That is a very clear cause and effect. If you are a Budweiser executive, you cannot attribute those sales losses (now estimated to be 1.4 billion dollars) to anything else but those "woke" commercials. It's different with the layoffs. Those can (and are) attributed to a wide range of factors, not just to DEI.

I'm not saying there isn't some evidence that DEI hurts sales. I'm saying that it isn't anywhere near the clear and convincing case you've got with Budweiser and other firms. If we did have that level of evidence, you would see immediate backpeddling by game developers in response to consumer complaints (similar to what you saw with Tractor Supply). Instead, we get no response at all, or insults.

Maybe that will change. I hope so.

I don't have a problem with woke games in and of themselves. People can make what they want to make and if it resonates, they'll find an audience. My issue is pushing that ideology into existing franchises.

Same here. If people want to make woke games, that's fine with me. Developers should develop what they want.

However, what they create is usually mediocre. As you say, they ruin existing franchises. I think it also stifles creativity in new games as well. You can sense the sameness in these games - not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of characters and dialog.

I think you're right in that those sell just fine, but only if the DEI is not excessive. A good example is Spider-man 2 and Saints Row. Spider-man 2 sold on past successes and IP recognition. It was only after purchase that people noticed things were a little off. Saints Row made it clear, from the first reveal and cover art, that you were getting a heavily DEI-influenced product and it failed to sell.

For me, a lot of this DEI stuff has been selling well only because it's often packaged in strong and recognizable IPs. Thing is, people are getting tired of it and tools are being developed to identify it (like DEI detected, for example). One thing about the Budweiser boycott was that people could easily buy another kind of beer, but it's not the same with games - especially with regards to IPs. The "boycott" equivalent with the gaming community will take longer to take effect, I think, for all the above reasons.

Edit: I miss-clicked and initially put the wrong emote on your post. Thought I should clarify it was a mistake - migraines and computer stuff are not necessarily compatible. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

No problem, I appreciate the correction. :) Hope your headache subsides.

You're right about the differences. People often don't realize the game is "woke" until after they've bought it (e.g., Spider-Man 2). SBI Detected will help with that. I will also check with certain Youtube channels now which do a good if hypersensitive job of highlighting these issues in new games.

And yeah, the customer has a bigger hurdle, too. If you have been looking forward to playing a game, you will have to let that go. You can pick up a different game, but it'll be a different experience. It's not as simple as just buying a different light beer.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Banned
Well, I don't know. The statement that "massive layoffs are mostly due to DEI" is your/our inference. But is that the companies' inference? Because that's what matters. Not our beliefs, but the companies' beliefs. As you know, massive layoffs can be attributed to a wide range of factors (e.g., general economic issues, costs of development, poor sales due to a variety of other factors, etc.), not just to DEI initiatives. Unless the companies themselves are drawing a straight line between depressed sales and DEI initiatives, it isn't evidence in the same sense as I was alluding to.

I mean, Budweiser saw their sales tank by 25% immediately following their Dylan Mulvaney commercials. That is a very clear cause and effect. If you are a Budweiser executive, you cannot attribute those sales losses (now estimated to be 1.4 billion dollars) to anything else but those "woke" commercials. It's different with the layoffs. Those can (and are) attributed to a wide range of factors, not just to DEI.

I'm not saying there isn't some evidence that DEI hurts sales. I'm saying that it isn't anywhere near the clear and convincing case you've got with Budweiser and other firms. After all, we did have something like that, we would see immediate backpeddling by game devs, similar to what we saw with Tractor Supply. We aren't seeing that. We usually see ignoring, condescension, or slurs.

There is a difference in time scales that needs to be accounted for. It is much faster and easier to see changes in revenue for a short term DEI change, relatively speaking, than one that has 5+ years of development time behind it. Especially when the previous release had little to no DEI pushed in the product.

For example, Spider-Man 1 released in 2018, been in development since 2014. DEI didn’t really start getting pushed hard until around 2018-2019 which is around when Spider-Man 2 started development. That released in 2023. We won’t see the detrimental effects of DEI on a grander scale until Spider-Man 3 and Wolverine, and even then it may take another sequel before it becomes too much of an issue for investors and companies to start making large sweeping changes to its workforce.

Meanwhile Budweiser has not changed the actual product, just its marketing. Easier to see a suddenly decline of the product and pushback and make quick changes to the marketing team.

Humdinger

There is a difference in time scales that needs to be accounted for. It is much faster and easier to see changes in revenue for a short term DEI change, relatively speaking, than one that has 5+ years of development time behind it. Especially when the previous release had little to no DEI pushed in the product.

For example, Spider-Man 1 released in 2018, been in development since 2014. DEI didn’t really start getting pushed hard until around 2018-2019 which is around when Spider-Man 2 started development. That released in 2023. We won’t see the detrimental effects of DEI on a grander scale until Spider-Man 3 and Wolverine, and even then it may take another sequel before it becomes too much of an issue for investors and companies to start making large sweeping changes to its workforce.

Meanwhile Budweiser has not changed the actual product, just its marketing. Easier to see a suddenly decline of the product and pushback and make quick changes to the marketing team.

That's right. Time scale is another reason why it will be much harder to get a "Tractor Supply" response in gaming. Budweiser took notice because it got immediate, powerful, and punishing feedback. Long-delayed consequences don't have that effect.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Lol I remember our HR tried to bring in all that Mindfulness nonsense into our workplace, was utterly embarrassing, half of us sat their on our phones working and when I was asked by HR in the room did I see anything worthwhile implementing into my team I told her flat out, fuck no and that it was a waste of time, she just stared at me like a deer in headlights, later that afternoon my Director called me in saying I wasn't taking this shit seriously and I said where the fuck where you, you where on the invite and he lol says back nah waste of my time and load of bollocks (I've known my director for over 25yrs and we have a no holds barred relationship) needless to say everyone deleted the presentation and we never got any more of that American corporate shite introduced

Your company version of mindfulness might very well be bullshit, it wouldn't surprise me. But keep in mind that normally "mindfulness" is not some pretentious worthless soft shit. Typically, mindfulness is just straightforward and highly efficient techniques for reducing stress hormone production. I'm a no bs manly man, and mindfulness has been my favorite go-to tool to deal with stress on the spot for decades. Just saying...

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
It’s funny that when a game like The Callisto Protocol by Striking Distance has a woman character voiced and modeled by a real life actress, they make the character look exactly like the pretty actress (Karen Fukuhara)

But when Insomniac makes a game with a female character, they somehow can’t make the character look like the actress.

Odd

Top Bottom