• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

dani_dc

I try my best with what I'm given.

EDIT: Do it for her...

AO6qIdF.gif

Is that rapelay?

Phawx

Bit Dungeon II is so good you guys. It's like Legend of Zelda meets Rogue. There is an online mode and what seems to be a dark souls campfire/bonfire but I don't think they are fully fleshed out yet though.

So much fun though. Died fully at level 10 :(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.2.1. This is a maintenance release that includes the following changes:
  • Added the number of gems required for each game on the Booster Pack Creator dropdown
  • Added an option to disable the 1-Click turn to gems function
  • Fixed a bug with continuous scrolling on the auction page search results in Firefox
  • Fixed numerous small bugs and localization issues
This update is available for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers. Opera users will need to wait until the submitted version has been approved

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.

Tizoc

So it seems FF13 doesn't like it when anything else other than it and Steam are running. So if you have like a video player running in the background, close it and the game's framerate won't be wonky.

Benedict

So when should I start crafting my badges t get card for the holiday badge?
Start now or wait until the sale starts to see if there is something extra extra?

wagamer

So I opened my Steam inventory and noticed my cards could be converted to gems... I tried one just for the heck of it and got four gems. Then I went to see what you can do with these four gems. Should've just sold the card.

I guess the only thing to do with my four precious gems would be auctioning some forgotten games and hoping people don't get interested in said game. Currently I'm bidding on a game positioned at 42/82 bids, we'll see where that one ends up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So when should I start crafting my badges t get card for the holiday badge?
Start now or wait until the sale starts to see if there is something extra extra?

If there is anything extra extra, it'll be tied to the crafting of the Holiday Sale badge, so there's no harm in crafting game badges now to stock up on cards.

Finally got around to playing Agarest on the PS3 after I bought a box of games blind. Man, it's boring as hell and that 'art' style... no thanks. I enjoy a tactical RPG, but that game was boring.

Anime interactive novel scene. Tactical RPG Fight. Rinse and repeat for 3 hours before I gave up.

So I opened my Steam inventory and noticed my cards could be converted to gems... I tried one just for the heck of it and got four gems. Then I went to see what you can do with these four gems. Should've just sold the card.

I guess the only thing to do with my four precious gems would be auctioning some forgotten games and hoping people don't get interested in said game. Currently I'm bidding on a game positioned at 42/82 bids, we'll see where that one ends up.

I'm not sure how they manage it, but each Sale meta-game seems to be worse than the last. Part of that is on Valve, and part of that is on 'us' for working out the quickest way to abuse the system and shit it up for everyone.

JaseC

I'm not sure how they manage it, but each Sale meta-game seems to be worse than the last. Part of that is on Valve, and part of that is on 'us' for working out the quickest way to abuse the system and shit it up for everyone.

This is the first sale meta-game that Valve has halted. I do agree that more recent ones haven't been as lucrative, though -- the peak was definitely the Winter Sale of 2012.

JaseC

1GB or 1Gb?
To be fair, saved games don't usually take much space...

1GB across 15 games. It's no wonder the service is no longer officially supported. ;) I wonder if it's even still possible to upgrade an account.

Knurek

1GB across 15 games. It's no wonder the service is no longer officially supported. ;) I wonder if it's even still possible to upgrade an account.

LOL, it's limited even in the PRO version?
PRO users can store saves from up to 100 different games on the cloud, enough for even the most avid PC gamers.

Emphasis mine. LOL

Nordicus

I'm curious. Tell me how this "shits it up" for everyone. This event might have been an early damage control measure for overflooding the market with gems after the feature's introduction. People who have more money and inventory than wit are buying everyone's gems and items, then dumping all this excess into things that are either superfluous or available by easier means.

dex3108

I am using Save Game Manager and my OneDrive (former SkyDrive). I have 45GB on OneDrive for my backup data and for now it is enough :D

Gvaz

Banned
1GB or 1Gb?
To be fair, saved games don't usually take much space...

I usually have more than 100 different games. Granted, most of those have a steam cloud which is 1gb per game, not 1gb shared, afaik.

My dark souls saves take up 4gb alone. FNV 2-3gb, fo3 i played less so thats at 380mb.

This is kind of worthless.

Dr Dogg

So crushed a few junk items into enough gems to grind out a FF XIII-2 booster but from my drops I already had 3 unique cards. So out of curiosity I opened it despite the individual cards selling less.
Fucks sake...

Needless to say I crafted the badge, sold the Sale card for 17p.

Someone sent me a code snippet and I was able to adapt it to work with Enhanced Steam.

Should prove pretty useful. Also, I'm planning on issuing a maintenance release as I've fixed the bug in Firefox that causes the auction page to break, added this feature, and a few other little things.

Weird how that example highlighted Heileen 3. I just logged in and found a Heileen 3 booster pack. And yes, I opened it. And yes, I got a foil. Not sure if I should attempt to sell it at a sell order price (just under 2 bucks,) sell it at a buy order price (29 cents) or just raffle it off with Modbot like I did last time.

I'm curious. Tell me how this "shits it up" for everyone. This event might have been an early damage control measure for overflooding the market with gems after the feature's introduction. People who have more money and inventory than wit are buying everyone's gems and items, then dumping all this excess into things that are either superfluous or available by easier means.

Last sale you had the rich people who powered there way through, and then reddit started to fix the 'races' to make it fair.
This time you had people finding out exploits and abusing them. Now basically it comes down to those with money (or little sense) being able to blast there way to the top again.

The Summer Sale where achievements = tickets was nice (until people discovered ways to abuse the system again).

JaseC

Last sale you had the rich people who powered there way through, and then reddit started to fix the 'races' to make it fair.

At which point Valve broadened the terms of the competition to include prizes for second and third place.

This time you had people finding out exploits and abusing them. Now basically it comes down to those with money (or little sense) being able to blast there way to the top again. .

Let them spend ~$90 worth of gems on a copy of Borderlands: TPS. There are 100 of each item, remember, but that being said it remains to be seen how the 45-minute gap between each subsequent auction will affect winning bids.

Nordicus

Now basically it comes down to those with money (or little sense) being able to blast there way to the top again.
I guess our definition of "winning" differs in that in my opinion, paying for a game much more money than it's worth is not "winning".

Imagine if right after the actual sales start, there is some gem-related event that is much easier for everyone ot participate on. I'd feel really dumb if I was one of those people who spent all their gems right on that auction.

Chariot

This time you had people finding out exploits and abusing them. Now basically it comes down to those with money (or little sense) being able to blast there way to the top again.

The Summer Sale where achievements = tickets was nice (until people discovered ways to abuse the system again).
Ha. Reddit had to realize that they didn't have as much power as they though when Team Red slaughered everyone at day 6. I still tjink that valvr had the first five days fixed.

Nordicus

that depends on the cost of the money, I guess the top bidders paid very little in actual money if any at all for those gems
In some cases, yes, but the gems basically became virtual money the moment they became marketable again. Had I not put 5€ into 3 cent emoticons in the beginning of this even, I would have still become value conscious of the 2k gems I got from my inventory precisely when that happened

Tizoc

So crushed a few junk items into enough gems to grind out a FF XIII-2 booster but from my drops I already had 3 unique cards. So out of curiosity I opened it despite the individual cards selling less.

Fucks sake...

Needless to say I crafted the badge, sold the Sale card for 17p.

So pink.

Didn't know you could simply buy gems. Stupid me... I guess I overpaid for my gems but not too much. But I'm trying to sell my gems again. Maybe I'm panicking but screw these auctions, I better minimize the damage.

aLKB3Y5_460sa.gif

Vuze

Is there a way to reduce the amount of "Thank you for your blablabla" emails? Like, once per day or sth? My mailbox is getting flooded due to badge crafting right now.

Chariot

I’m gonna show you something beautiful – everyone screaming for gems. You want to make money, but you don’t want to calculate numbers. You’re all puppets, tangled in strings.

Strings.

The top bid for the holiday profile just crossed a million gems. At current prices, that's about $650.

And the sniping hasn't even started yet...

JaseC

Is there a way to reduce the amount of "Thank you for your blablabla" emails? Like, once per day or sth? My mailbox is getting flooded due to badge crafting right now.

Create a new folder for them and set up a filtering option so they're automatically moved out of the way.

iosefe

I think I'm gonna do giveaways this year that showcase recently released indie games, like stuff from the last few months.

A game like Distance would definitely be worth considering.
I agree very much with this idea.

For those that have it, how much did they improve on nitronic rush?

So, I have had 3 games playing in the background for 4-5 hours now and maybe only gotten one or two trading cards. Has something changed since I last did this?

Top Bottom