• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

I still haven't played 90% of the games I got on summer and autumn sale, and here comes winter sale in a few days... If I was smart I'd just skip it. I don't even have stuff I'm realistically looking forward to, the stuff I want will still be too expensive for me even at 75% off. At least I'm ignoring all that gem crap I don't understand.

Nzyme32

why is there still no pre order for MGSV GZ :(

It's just gonna plop out on the 18th with a discount I guess. I'd have to imagine that doing a preorder before hand would mean a smaller discount than what would happen in the sale perhaps, which would annoy those who do preorder perhaps? So yeah, I'm guessing for something like 50% off what is likely a high standard price.

Spyware

I had an idea for my backlog next year but it was quickly halted when I realised I don't know about any games with a spring feeling. Winter is easy, just grab some snowy games. Autumn mostly means dark/post-apocalyptic games + horror games to me. Summer is also easy with the abundance of sunny, flowery, tropical, beachy games. But spring?

Any Steam games that can be categorised as spring games?
Toki Tori is the only candidate I found after some thinking :p Mostly because it's a yellow chicken and eggs and stuff, and it reminds me of easter.

Chariot

What are games people looking for that weren't a real deal (as in, weren't as cheap as they were at another time) in the winter sale?

Personally I am looking forward to World End Economica (6,49 € or lower), Agarest Zero (6,79 € or lower) and DoW Soulstorm (1,49€ or lower). Those weren't reduced to that price at the last sale and I kinda wanna have them.

I have been playing Wolfenstein:TNO for a while now and I gotta say how I have missed dat feel of next gen. Some effects in the game look ridiculously good, so good even that I sometimes forget to shoot when I marvel at stuff

What are games people looking for that weren't a real deal (as in, weren't as cheap as they were at another time) in the winter sale?

Personally I am looking forward to World End Economica (6,49 € or lower), Agarest Zero (6,79 € or lower) and DoW Soulstorm (1,49€ or lower). Those weren't reduced to that price at the last sale and I kinda wanna have them.

I'd take World End Economica if it was a bit cheaper. Also looking forward to Escape Goat 2 and MirrorMoon EP, which was never under 60% off before IIRC.
EDIT: Also, Super Win The Game.

baterism

I'm no economist but I think during the auctions they will rise as people scramble to outbid and snipe the auctions. It will be interesting to watch anyway.

I'm not sure the gem price will be higher than this morning price (in my place, so, uh about several hours since gem shack tradable again).
Looking at the auction catalog, the only "worth it" stuff is actually the custom profile skin as it is the only thing without price tag.
The rest are games that if converted to real (steam) money (plus sale) are actually pretty much not worth it. If Valve put unique DotA or CSGO items, I think it will be more interesting. Because, you know, some (rich) people have "different" take on money.
I still hold some 40k gems to see how the market turn out. And there are software that I want, I expect not much people would be interested on that so the auction price hopefully would be minimal.

SmithnCo

I'm not sure the gem price will be higher than this morning price (in my place, so, uh about several hours since gem shack tradable again).
Looking at the auction catalog, the only "worth it" stuff is actually the custom profile skin as it is the only thing without price tag.
The rest are games that if converted to real (steam) money (plus sale) are actually pretty much not worth it. If Valve put unique DotA or CSGO items, I think it will be more interesting. Because, you know, some (rich) people have "different" take on money.
I still hold some 40k gems to see how the market turn out. And there are software that I want, I expect not much people would be interested on that so the auction price hopefully would be minimal.

There will probably also be some bidding on cheaper stuff just to get that level 3 badge, but yeah, it probably won't go up too much because when taking the upcoming sale into account, the bidding will probably not be very worth it. Worst case I'll sell off my gems during the auction if the software I'm eyeing gets too pricey.

Anteater

I have been playing Wolfenstein:TNO for a while now and I gotta say how I have missed dat feel of next gen. Some effects in the game look ridiculously good, so good even that I sometimes forget to shoot when I marvel at stuff

I actually didn't think the game looks that great, but it has its moments.

It's probably to do with the grain filter, and that I'm barely playing it at 1080p and I can't afford to even enable good fsaa. It's so far pretty fun though.

Textures don't look so good, and it stutters a lot on my 4GB 770.

Jesus them auction bids. Where the fuck are people getting so many gems? It's ungodly.
55173244.jpg

The_Monk

When I click on "Activity" I can't see the things I share/upload but I can see other's people purchases, screenshots, etc. Also, when I go to "My Activity" I only get a blank page on both the Client and on the Website as well.

ebET6b3l.png

I don't even know if others can see my Uploaded screenshots or if it's just me who can't see my own activity in both Friend's and in the "My Activity" section. Any tips? I'm not in any Beta Client by the way.

Also, screenshots are set to Public, as always:

wzLp1Bc.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hmm it has been 10 mins since I sent the game to ModBot. Does that mean it didn't went through or should I wait more?

>.>

When I click on "Activity" I can't see the things I share/upload but I can see other's people purchases, screenshots, etc. Also, when I go to "My Activity" I only get a blank page on both the Client and on the Website as well.

ebET6b3l.png

I don't even know if others can see my Uploaded screenshots or if it's just me who can't see my own activity in both Friend's and in the "My Activity" section. Any tips? I'm not in any Beta Client by the way.

Same thing happens to me, the "My Activity" only shows things that I have done in the last couple of days, sometimes nothing at all.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I might care about the gems if it was a raffle, with each gem constituting an entry. Seeing as I can't/won't compete with the whales, I can safely ignore it.

I had an idea for my backlog next year but it was quickly halted when I realised I don't know about any games with a spring feeling. Winter is easy, just grab some snowy games. Autumn mostly means dark/post-apocalyptic games + horror games to me. Summer is also easy with the abundance of sunny, flowery, tropical, beachy games. But spring?

Toki Tori is the only candidate I found after some thinking :p Mostly because it's a yellow chicken and eggs and stuff, and it reminds me of easter.

I can't fully articulate why, but I think of Trine 1 and 2 as spring games.

Coreda

Getting a blank page, too. Thought it was due to some cut-off period (like a week), but not sure. I can see your screenshots if I navigate to this page, although I haven't noticed any recent uploads of yours in the Friends activity section.

Also @ jshackles or whoever: is there some way of increasing how many friends are displayed in the 'Friends' area of a user's profile page? Being only 6 items is a bit limited with the available space.

Arthea

Apparently we can post only once per day on Holiday Sale board. That's ... funny?

Maybe anyone here wanna trade my Rhombus for your Sparkles, Zippy?

edited: steam is struggling right now, I'm getting errors everywhere, market, inventory, trades. It's bad.

MUnited83

For you.
Theres 2000 and something titles available. In many cases it seems to be worth it, just dont go for the popular stuff.

Alavard

I might care about the gems if it was a raffle, with each gem constituting an entry. Seeing as I can't/won't compete with the whales, I can safely ignore it.

Don't write it off so easily. The 'whales' that are sitting as the highest bidder on most items are probably bidding miles above most people that will end up winning a copy.

As an example, I'm sitting as bidder #10 on Hatoful Boyfriend. The top bid is 16,100 gems, but I'm #10 at 4500. And there are 100 copies up for auction.

In my mind, it's probably not worth trying to accumulate extra gems through the market, but I got those 4500 gems just from items in my inventory, and given that I've only slipped from the #6 bid on Hatoful Boyfriend when the auctions first went up, I think I stand a good chance of winning a copy.

How about Botanicula? It's about young plants and growing seeds. That's pretty spring-themed.

Anteater said:
shiiit can't decide what to play

need more mindless games

Did you read my impressions of those hidden-object games from the past day? That might fit the bill. :)

Don't write it off so easily. The 'whales' that are sitting as the highest bidder on most items are probably bidding miles above most people that will end up winning a copy.

As an example, I'm sitting as bidder #10 on Hatoful Boyfriend. The top bid is 16,100 gems, but I'm #10 at 4500. And there are 100 copies up for auction.

In my mind, it's probably not worth trying to accumulate extra gems through the market, but I got those 4500 gems just from items in my inventory, and given that I've only slipped from the #6 bid on Hatoful Boyfriend when the auctions first went up, I think I stand a good chance of winning a copy.
Yup. I concur, don't write them off, especially if you have interest in a less popular/mainstream game. I put a mere 1200 on a few things and was around #25-30.

baterism

Theres 2000 and something titles available. In many cases it seems to be worth it, just dont go for the popular stuff.

Yep. I just aim for the softwares as they almost never on sale and not too popular. I'm eyeing Bitmap2Material3, it seems pretty cool and would be come real handy for me. From the beginning it's not that expensive anyway, I might getting it regardless the auction. But hey, who can say no to a chance for a deal?

Vazra

Hmmmm sent ModBot a message nearly 50 mins ago and nothing and then sent again with the removal of ® on the game 20 mins ago and nothing from that too. Am I doomed?

jblank83

shiiit can't decide what to play

need more mindless games

Bought Words for Evil yesterday. Nice time waster.
Deep Dungeons of Doom. Simple yet fun rogue-like-lite.
Super House of the Dead Ninjas. Rogue-like-lite action, cheap.

All of these are on the very cheap end of the price spectrum.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Lost Civilization -- MB-B68319438A6A2ED4 - Taken by Kiru
Millionaire Manor -- MB-DDA5CC7BE3354895 - Taken by Kurt Russell
Melissa K. and the Heart of Gold -- MB-E968D049080A12C4 - Taken by PunishedSnake
Selknam Defense -- MB-43F848CB61F38DC8 - Taken by JustLynx
Platypus -- MB-C6E4E480B1BAFA04 - Taken by madjoki
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller -- MB-A34B7D139E07F7FB - Taken by denx
Jets'n'Guns Gold -- MB-D97AD8C20446155E - Taken by salazar547
The Last Door -- MB-D9248B7E052FE208 - Taken by nja
Face Noir (1) -- MB-C9E0015B98ECFAD3 - Taken by Natty1
Power-Up -- MB-AC4301CD336ED775 - Taken by Gintoki
OCEAN CITY RACING -- MB-4A26A661E43BE22F - Taken by S1n1st3r
Face Noir (2) -- MB-2A8DF86B545621CD - Taken by alr1ght
Gold Rush! Classic -- MB-19423A3D3BE54E3B - Taken by Darth Kupi

Vazra

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bayonetta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round -- MB-1855F996D5885644 - Taken by VikasNarula. 80 entrants total.

t1418589225z1.png
tumblr_n6o4kymFXb1r3fop8o1_r1_500.gif

Top Bottom