• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

And then they'll ask for more money in a few months...

This will happen, they will bundle it in a Humble Bundle where the top tier will cost $30.
After six months they are going to release the game as early access where only first half is finished. Then it will take them more than two years to release the last part. During that time the game has been for sale two or three times...

Ludens

Banned
My trust in DF is equal to zero.
I have the impression DF now is only betting on nostalgia factor. After their failures, I won't give them money if not by purchasing their titles while 75% off.

Day of the Tentacle release date is absurd, they took how many months to do that?
The remastering seems like a filter that can be applied by ScummVM or so.
I bet the game will be 15€ because why not, I bet Maniac Mansion won't be included because why not (they can do just another remaster and selling it for 15€).

I mean, those titles are legendary and very good, the best of the best from LucasGames, but it's clear DF took those projects just because they need a little amount of work to become "playable" on modern OS, like Grim Fandango (I like the original, but DF could do much more if they wanted, they did the bare minimum and the game was also broken as hell), generating the maximum amount of money from nostalgic fans.

I won't repeat myself on Broken Age, you already know what I think about that.

Ah, a note regarding Psychonauts 2: I don't know if the full price tag for the game is a good or bad thing.
From one side, I think it's good because we'll finally have a proper, long game like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend.
On another, this is DF, they can just put that price and underdeliver even this time, with a 6 hours long game, filled with collectibles because they are easy to implement and artificially extend the game's lenght and call the day.

Dr Dogg

DF have been pretty up front that $3.3m isn't going to cut it and they are funding through Fig, putting up capital themselves and have external funding. In the campaign page they mention something they said ages ago that they'd need at least the same budget as the first which they state as a range between $10-13.5m.

As much as I'd love to see Psychonauts 2, after DF's last couple of crowdfunding and EA titles I'm a tad of the wary side.

dex3108

DF have been pretty up front that $3.3m isn't going to cut it and they are funding through Fig, putting up capital themselves and have external funding. In the campaign page they mentions something they said ages ago that they'd need at least the same budget as the first which they state as a range between $10-13.5m.

As much as I'd love to see Psychonauts 2, after DF's last couple of crowdfunding and EA titles I'm a tad of the wary side.

They could get 100M and they would still find way to f-up. They are simply not good with money.

Yup. I'd love to play Psychonauts 2 but there isn't a chance in hell I'm crowdfunding anything from them ever again. They can make their games with other people's money.

This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of me0wish, who is running this raffle.

I won one of the Indie 4 stuff, but the key doesn't work. it seems to be cut in the middle for being too long or whatever, and replaced by ... halfway through.

oh well, no big deal.

I won one of the Indie 4 stuff, but the key doesn't work :p it seems to be cut in the middle for being too long or whatever, and replaced by ... halfway through.

oh well, no big deal.

Send a PM, meow said that they don't mind. It's a common problem with indiegala stuff, their links are pretty long.

My trust in DF is equal to zero.
I have the impression DF now is only betting on nostalgia factor. After their failures, I won't give them money if not by purchasing their titles while 75% off.

Day of the Tentacle release date is absurd, they took how many months to do that?
The remastering seems like a filter that can be applied by ScummVM or so.
I bet the game will be 15€ because why not, I bet Maniac Mansion won't be included because why not (they can do just another remaster and selling it for 15€).

I mean, those titles are legendary and very good, the best of the best from LucasGames, but it's clear DF took those projects just because they need a little amount of work to become "playable" on modern OS, like Grim Fandango (I like the original, but DF could do much more if they wanted, they did the bare minimum and the game was also broken as hell), generating the maximum amount of money from nostalgic fans.

I won't repeat myself on Broken Age, you already know what I think about that.

I dunno, part of the issue with these rereleases is that Double Fine has to negotiate with Disney to let them license the lucasarts stuff. Which, depending on how the licensing is handled, means that Disney will either want an upfront fee from DF so that they can make the game, that they want a piece of the profits that come in after it hits store shelves, or some cases both.

It isn't as simple as DF just running the game through a filter and calling it a day, either. They're redoing the sprite work and the backgrounds aren't low res any longer, and if you don't like how it looks then there's still the original version option in the remaster.

look here

i mean if you look at that, it's not a filter. those sprites have been redone. A filter would leave artifacts and be a blurry mess, which isnt what's happening here. I don't know if theyre really redrawing them but it's not just some thoughtless 2Xsai filter thing, there's an effort being made

Say what you will about how they broke up Broken Age and half assed Act 2 or their Spacebase shenanigans, i'll grant you they're no angels. But their handling of these remasters so far has met or exceeded my expectations. If anything, i wish they had handled the 2 Monkey Island remasters so that they would've been more faithful to the original games.

Parsnip

Regarding DF, I find the notion that the company isn't good with money kind of absolutely hilarious.
A company doesn't stay afloat and independent for 15 years if they aren't good with money.

Tell us more, please.
Basically this.
It took them two years to find one programmer? And it will take them estimated another 2.5 years for them to make the game?

I am really regretting funding this game. Once they do refunds I am going to cancel my pledge

But here's the full update.

Hi Folks,

Apologies for the downtime. Between deployments and holidays I have been swamped.

Here are things where they stand now on our programmer front:

*I have been asked to clarify that we CURRENTLY have a programmer. He has done some work and much consulting for Project Phoenix already. The problem is that his current work is delaying his full commitment here by about 2 months.
*Current estimates place dev at about 2.5 years out from completion. This is 2.5 years from the time we get our full-time programmer on board. That means we are expecting early 2018 for a finalized build and 6 months for testing after that.
*We put out the notice that we are looking for programmers to supplement the work our main programmer will be doing, as well as simply getting things started as soon as possible.
*On this note, we are reviewing the people who identified themselves to us and we will move forward to interview relevant applicants soon.

In other news:

Music!
One Uematsu theme from the game has been arranged and is pending approval. We hope to include a short video with Nobuo Uematsu in a future update and, in preparation for this, we would like to ask you for any music related questions you would like to ask. We will compile this list, possibly modify the wording, and translate a limited number of questions. Please either sound off in the comments here or message us on KS.

Refunds
We know a lot of people are disappointed with the delays and organization of Project Phoenix. We are not considering refunds at this time. To initiate refunds is to give up on the project since there would be no money left to complete it. If we make the decision to call it quits then we will work out some kind of remediation with backers at that time. Until then we are pressing on.

Deques

Basically this.

Refunds
We know a lot of people are disappointed with the delays and organization of Project Phoenix. We are not considering refunds at this time. To initiate refunds is to give up on the project since there would be no money left to complete it. If we make the decision to call it quits then we will work out some kind of remediation with backers at that time. Until then we are pressing on.

At this point I think most of the money have been spent on trying organize the project...

Ludens

Banned
I dunno, part of the issue with these rereleases is that Double Fine has to negotiate with Disney to let them use their license. Which, depending on how the licensing is handled, means that Disney will either want an upfront fee from DF so that they can make the game, that they want a piece of the profits that come in after it hits store shelves, or some cases both.

It isn't as simple as DF just running the game through a filter and calling it a day. They're redoing the sprite work and the backgrounds aren't any longer low res, and if you don't like how it looks then there's still the original version option in the remaster.

Say what you will about how they broke up Broken Age and half assed Act 2 or their Spacebase shenanigans, i'll grant you they're no angels. But the handling on these remasters so far has met or exceeded my expectations. If anything, i wish they had handled the 2 Monkey Island remasters so that they would've been more faithful to the original games.

I'm not saying Grim Fandango was bad. But it was just a high resolution version of the game (well, a remaster in the end). I'm ok with this, but they could provide some additional stuff to make it much better. The fact DF included the original game is a plus, of course, what I really don't justify is the game shipped literally filled with bugs, even gamebreaking.

I don't know about Disney fee (we should se if DF went to Disney and told "Ehy, we want to re-release those titles on PC/Console, how much we need to pay? Or if simply Disney itself wanted to re-release the game again and contacted DF because Schafer is still in business and he was involved with the original games, because Disney released pretty much its whole catalogue on PC after they grabbed LucasGames).

Nzyme32

I'm not saying Grim Fandango was bad. But it was just a high resolution version of the game (well, a remaster in the end). I'm ok with this, but they could provide some additional stuff to make it much better. The fact DF included the original game is a plus, of course, what I really don't justify is the game shipped literally filled with bugs, even gamebreaking.

I don't know about Disney fee (we should se if DF went to Disney and told "Ehy, we want to re-release those titles on PC/Console, how much we need to pay? Or if simply Disney itself wanted to re-release the game again and contacted DF because Schafer is still in business and he was involved with the original games, because Disney released pretty much its whole catalogue on PC after they grabbed LucasGames).

Higher resolution is the most noticeable thing, but they've had to correct most of the art assets and the lighting has been changed throughout. There is a video somewhere. For these older point and click games in particular, the aesthetics are so important. Adding stuff will not only piss off the original fans but dilute what it was. By its nature, the game and its content is a bit wonky since it is over 2 decades old. That can't be helped unless you change the game at which point it is no longer grim fandango.

Personally I don't want or expect anything more than what they have already done, for the point and click remasters. For something like psychonauts 2 I obviously expect a lot.

The bugs at launch though, pretty unforgivable.

Regginator

Xrd in Nuuvem!! ~$12

http://www.nuuvem.com/item/guilty-gear-xrd-sign

It's of course puchase region blocked. But is it blocked while activating it? I can't find any info about it

not sure about the actual game being region locked or not, but you do know it's sheer impossible now to buy from nuuvem if you don't live in brazil? apparently they can see the country you're from on your paypal account, so even if you use a vpn it wouldn't work.

which brings me to my next point: are there any brazilians here on steamgaf? I could forward the money to your paypal and you could send me the key, pwetty pwease

accel

But here's the full update:

*I have been asked to clarify that we CURRENTLY have a programmer. He has done some work and much consulting for Project Phoenix already. The problem is that his current work is delaying his full commitment here by about 2 months.
*Current estimates place dev at about 2.5 years out from completion. This is 2.5 years from the time we get our full-time programmer on board. That means we are expecting early 2018 for a finalized build and 6 months for testing after that.

If I am reading this correctly, they are currently waiting for 2 months until their programmer finishes whatever he is doing and after those 2 months, they are planning 2.5 years of work plus 0.5 years of testing.

I kind of said it before, but "2.5 years" is a sign that the current plan is not better than the result of reading tea leaves. They might have real plan when their programmer starts working, but these "2.5 years" ain't it, it's too long of a planning period for a small team.

Newblade

I've already gotten the game on steam so I won't get it from Nuuvem, but afaik, if they checked and blocked because of the paypal country, it would have stopped me before getting to the "pay now" screen.

It lets you try to pay, but there will be an error in the transaction.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
XCOM 2 looks soooo good. So hyped for that game.
Also the PC Gamer cover is really great and cheesy, I love it

CV33vsaXAAEMneZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom