• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

iT'S STill a good bundle if
1- You don't own some of the Steam games in it
2- You want the ROMs for the games in the bundle

For $10 it's a good deal to me.

I am not sure about the ROM part. If it wasn't for the emulation part I would get it. But I am not sure if it's worth the money

Tizoc

I am not sure about the ROM part. If it wasn't for the emulation part I would get it. But I am not sure if it's worth the money

Just use any other emulator.
Final Burn Alpha for example runs the games well and you can apply whichever graphic shader or filters you want.
You can even set your own button macros and use a PS4 controller for example.

I feel should buy Xrd even though I doubt I'll get round to playing it for a while. Guilty Gear is one of the few series I can forgive or even like its anime look. Also I like to support and encourage Japanese releases in genres I actually give a shit about, but I've been doing that an awful lot lately... my wallet needs a break.

Xrd has a good tutorial mode, generally you want to find characters whose style suits you.

Also the entire series released in widesceen on Blu-Ray yesterday. Proper widescreen too, none of that cropping crap.

x-files-dvd-blu-ray-compare-101-016.jpg

x-files-dvd-blu-ray-compare-101-017.jpg
Eh, never a big fan of this stuff because a) shots weren't composed with 16:9 in mind so some things end up looking off and b) it's impossible to pull off a full 16:9 redo since there are often production elements on the sides since no one ever thought that that space would be seen by the audience. That means you'll have to do some cropping, like the hand of that lady at the desk for example or the corpse in the casket someone posted above. Or Gillian's feet in the first pic

I'd also just rather have the 4:3 film done in HD instead of trying to accommodate for people's aversion to black bars by trying to "fix" some of these older shows. But I suppose there aren't enough of us out there for that to make a difference.

Deques

Just use any other emulator.
Final Burn Alpha for example runs the games well and you can apply whichever graphic shader or filters you want.
You can even set your own button macros and use a PS4 controller for example.

I feel that I am playing with fire if I continue to talk about emulator and roms, so I am dropping this conversation

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
You are talking about legal purchased ROMs, so no problem there.
And emulators are in 99% of all cases also perfectly legal...

Did Rez or Rez HD ever come out for the pc/steam? Google says no but I remember playing it. Maybe I was just playing the 360 version through my computer monitor?

gelf

Xrd has a good tutorial mode, generally you want to find characters whose style suits you.

I feel like you misread what I said there. I'm fine with playing GG, I played X2 Reload to death back on the PS2. I want to support fighting games on Steam I just don't know when I'll get around to playing this one and I'm trying to avoid spending money on games I'm not going to immediately play these days. Yakuza 5 is taking up all my time right now.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Did Rez or Rez HD ever come out for the pc/steam? Google says no but I remember playing it. Maybe I was just playing the 360 version through my computer monitor?

nope, never was on PC... sadly

I was going to talk about roms obtained from other places that's not legal >.<

I see...

in that case ignore what I said

:p

Tizoc

I feel like you misread what I said there. I'm fine with playing GG, I played X2 Reload to death back on the PS2. I want to support fighting games on Steam I just don't know when I'll get around to playing this one and I'm trying to avoid spending money on games I'm not going to immediately play these days. Yakuza 5 is taking up all my time right now.

My bad was busy writing for another thread ^^;
But yeah I too will have Y5 Take up all my gaming time X3

Eh, never a big fan of this stuff because a) shots weren't composed with 16:9 in mind so some things end up looking off and b) it's impossible to pull off a full 16:9 redo since there are often production elements on the sides since no one ever thought that that space would be seen by the audience. That means you'll have to do some cropping, like the hand of that lady at the desk for example or the corpse in the casket someone posted above. Or Gillian's feet in the first pic

I'd also just rather have the 4:3 film done in HD instead of trying to accommodate for people's aversion to black bars by trying to "fix" some of these older shows. But I suppose there aren't enough of us out there for that to make a difference.

You can always put some cardboard on the sides of your tv and everybody will be happy, those who want the widescreen release and those who want to watch it on letterbox.

Haunted

Also the entire series released in widesceen on Blu-Ray yesterday. Proper widescreen too, none of that cropping crap.

x-files-dvd-blu-ray-compare-101-016.jpg

x-files-dvd-blu-ray-compare-101-017.jpg
I mean, that's a lovely upgrade to the image quality, but you do see that the top and bottom have been (lightly) cropped?

Also the left side of the screen gets a ton more new space compared to the right, so every shot intended to be centered will be slightly off-center now.

Still a great upgrade, absolutely (though I'll never understand people getting box sets for TV series, but to each their own).

You can always put some cardboard on the sides of your tv and everybody will be happy, those who want the widescreen release and those who want to watch it on letterbox.
But I would still end up with less picture since they cropped vertically, too. Like I mentioned, look at the desk lady's hands or where Gillian's feet are in the the picture above it.

Just don't care for cropping especially if it's to falsely accommodate for 16:9. Just leave it at 4:3 but remaster it in higher res.

derExperte

I mean, that's a lovely upgrade to the image quality, but you do see that the top and bottom have been (lightly) cropped?

Note that the pictures aren't exactly the same time-wise so it's hard to say if something was cropped or for example a camera zoom happened. But you're right, I bet many shots will now look weird, changing the aspect ratio after the fact is very rarely a good idea. Unfortunately the majority is more concerned with filling up their TVs with something, anything than preserving the original scene/screen composition. At least the dark days of pan&scan are behind us, that was much worse.

That would work about as well as turning down colors to make a movie b/w again after it was colorized since I doubt the original frame shown was always the center or consistent.

There was a pretty good blog post from David Simon about the widescreen re-release of The Wire. Definitely worth reading if anyone is interested in the process of converting 4:3 to 16:9.

Great read, thanks. Would be nice to get something like this about X-Files.

Dr Dogg

Just put your TV in a window and draw your curtains over either side and for the proper cinematic experience draw them from closed before you start what ever your watching.

REmake was waaaay better at it's original aspect ratio than it's twisted spin on pan and scan. Be interesting to see how 0 turns out as unlike REmake that didn't have a static camera view point and would pan across the scene in certain rooms.

Kaleinc

Banned

Not to mention original aspect ratio would work great on my square display.

People who prefer the original 4:3 pictures aren't old men yelling at clouds. It's a matter of shot composition and unless the director had the foresight to adjust their shots back in the day, you'll end up with a lot of dead space on both sides. I get that people obviously prefer a native widescreen picture nowadays but if everything ends up happening the centre 60% of the frame it's not that far from being cropped anyway.

There was a pretty good blog post from David Simon about the widescreen re-release of The Wire. Definitely worth reading if anyone is interested in the process of converting 4:3 to 16:9.

Also, on the subject of The X-Files, there's a sort of semi official list of roughly 70 episodes of the show which encompass the core mythology/story of the series. Could be worth it for someone who wants to catch up on the story without watching all 200 episodes that aired.

Parsnip

Lol at the Project Phoenix KS update.
That KS certainly has made me be more mindful of the things I back. It's just embarrassing to read their updates now.

Deques

Lol at the Project Phoenix KS update.
That KS certainly has made me be more mindful of the things I back. It's just embarrassing to read their updates now.

It took them two years to find one programmer? And it will take them estimated another 2.5 years for them to make the game?

I am really regretting funding this game. Once they do refunds I am going to cancel my pledge

Jawmuncher

It took them two years to find one programmer? And it will take them estimated another 2.5 years for them to make the game?

I am really regretting funding this game. Once they do refunds I am going to cancel my pledge

That's the twist, they won't.

lmao
they're not gonna give refunds
stop backing kickstarters for video games, it's literally throwing your money away. never put money into a video game kickstarter, or a kickstarter in general, if you're not willing to lose that money

Hey NeoGAF.

You know what people want? Pilotwings. But Nintendo doesnt do it. So lets make a Pilotwings Scam KS, build some shitty engine, show some shitty video and because of Nostalgia and people wanting such a game it will rake in million.
Lets call it The pilot´s feathers.

OC. pls do not steal

Hektor

lmao
stop backing kickstarters for video games, it's literally throwing your money away. never put money into a video game kickstarter, or a kickstarter in general, if you're not willing to lose that money

There are hundreds of successful kickstarters that ended up delivering great games.

Deques

lmao

So far I have backed 8 games, two of them are released. One is going to be released first half of next year (I am looking at you Mighty no 9). 3 games were backed this year.

I should stop backing so many games :(

milena87

Eh, never a big fan of this stuff because a) shots weren't composed with 16:9 in mind so some things end up looking off and b) it's impossible to pull off a full 16:9 redo since there are often production elements on the sides since no one ever thought that that space would be seen by the audience. That means you'll have to do some cropping, like the hand of that lady at the desk for example or the corpse in the casket someone posted above.

I'm the same as you. The original aspect ratio is what I prefer to see and I'd be a lot more excited for these older TV shows finally hitting Blu Ray if they didn't open the frame or crop them down to 16:9.

Thankfully Star Trek TNG and Twin Peaks are in their glorious original form.
I lost all hope for a proper transfer of Buffy and Angel. I just know that they'll completely ruin them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom