• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

I had some trouble with the Xbox One controller but someone on the Steam forums figured out that when the game stops recognizing the controller (which it does with some menus) you have to repeatedly press both triggers down together, maybe 10 times, and then it works again. It's pretty bizarre but I don't think it's enough to stop me from playing.

The framerate's still really rough, bouncing between 30 and 60, depending on the action.

Problem is I can't even get 30 most of the time, it's usually low 20s no matter what resolution I set it at.

Mivey

I kinda really want to get the PC version of Lightning Returns but I'm really wary of Square FF PC ports. FF13 is still unplayable for me.
Framelocking to 30 FPS (while downsampling from, say, 4K) is absolutely unacceptable for you? Alternatively, GSYNC is a thing.
Not to excuse Square's framepacing, but if you are really dedicated to spending 50 hours of walking down a hallway, 30 FPS is not really much of a sacrifice. From my perspective, anyway.

chronomac

Problem is I can't even get 30 most of the time, it's usually low 20s no matter what resolution I set it at.

People in that forum suggested a few things: turn off GPU-controlled Vsync and AA, disabling any HID-compliant devices in Device Manager, disabling the mini-map, and using a controller instead of a KB/M combo. So maybe try some of those?

Knurek

Framelocking to 30 FPS (while downsampling from, say, 4K) is absolutely unacceptable for you? Alternatively, GSYNC is a thing.
Not to excuse Square's framepacing, but if you are really dedicated to spending 50 hours of walking down a hallway, 30 FPS is not really much of a sacrifice. From my perspective, anyway.

Best thing* about Squeenix FF13 framepacer is that if you try to lock to 30fps, it will still fluctuate between 30 and 15 fps.
Constantly.

*absolutely not the best thing

Spaghetti

That gameplay though

fe8a665354b199d9983082aea5a34be0.jpg
i'm with you on this.

buuuuut i do totally understand the people who don't enjoy mgsv for the most part. especially post-release.

although, i don't think the opening 2 hours is as much of a turn-off as to basically have the sales go flat for over a month though.

Mivey

Best thing* about Squeenix FF13 framepacer is that if you try to lock to 30fps, it will still fluctuate between 30 and 15 fps.
Constantly.

*absolutely not the best thing
Really? Even with all external locking mechanisms? Hard to believe, but I guess if anybody could do it, it's Squeenix.

I'm about to get my D&D on thanks to Tizoc. Gracias.

Can a $350 PC With 4GB of RAM Play Call of Duty: Black Ops 3?

A bit surprised the Potato Masher has troubles with it. Interesting point he made, even though "he met or exceeded recommended system requirements" neither AK nor COD3 "ran properly".
I love the potato masher videos. It's going to get more interesting as time goes on too. Though there are times when he says wait for the patch for Far Cry or Assassin's and then the Masher will come through, rather than saying the PS4 is better. I don't think games getting jank patched out is inevitable, so never bet on it.

Khronico

I can't even hit 30 consistently no matter what settings I choose, no joke. I have an alienware alpha i3 with 8gb ram, which isn't amazing by any stretch, but I'd expect better performance from a 6yr old PS3 game.

People in that forum suggested a few things: turn off GPU-controlled Vsync and AA, disabling any HID-compliant devices in Device Manager, disabling the mini-map, and using a controller instead of a KB/M combo. So maybe try some of those?

Ehhhh.... Maybe I'll reinstall it for the 4th time and see how it goes.

Corpekata

Banned

Gsync is hardly a thing for the FFXIII games. Bouncing around from 60 to 30 looks just as bad on a gsync monitor as it does on a normal one. The games typically run at 60 or 30 because of weird issues, they're not hovering around 45 FPS which is where gsync would help.

def sim

Hm

I'm glad I didn't follow through with my FFXIII+2 bundle purchase like I said I would last night.

You can tell a lot about a person by which MGS game they think is the best.

It's obviously Revengeance, 3, 1, 2 and that's it, right everybody?

edit: V is good. I legit forgot about it. Weird.

gelf

MGSV is the best game I played on PC this year, even if its not my favorite MGS game. Its not the story that sours me though, its the fact its boss battles just don't compare to best in the series. The rest of the gameplay is pretty solid.

Soulflarz

Banned
Disclaimer I played them all in 2012 or 2013 minus PW which I played at release
...which is a phenomenal game screw you all :V

Hmm
Gameplay and story have to be seperate
Under current times?
Gameplay:
MGS3>MGSV>MGS4>PW>>>>2>1

Story?

3>2>PW>1>4>MGSV
Not to say any of them are bad, 1/2 are dated. And 2 is arguably trash and amazing at the same time, since no one understood it forever.

edit: revengeance doesnt count, it's not even a proper MG, its story is definitely the last, but sure, if you like action games itll play the best for you, it's Platinum

Khronico

MGS4>MGS2>MGS3>MGS1>>>MGS PO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MGSV>>>MGS PW.

Weirdly enough I've never played MGS1.

My current ranking:
MGS2>MGS4>MGSV
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
>MGS3>MGS PW

Hm

I'm glad I didn't follow through with my FFXIII+2 bundle purchase like I said I would last night.

It's obviously Revengeance, 3, 1, 2 and that's it.

edit: V is good. I legit forgot about it. Weird.

I forgot about revengeance. It's definitely the best playing Metal Gear game aside from MGSV.

yuraya

MGSV is easily the best action game of the year, best stealth game of all time and best third person shooter I've ever played.

People who are butthurt over the ending need to respect the lore and the older titles. Everyone wanted the story to be their own little fantasy. Its Kojima's story and he did what he had to do.

MGS3 > MGSV > MGS1 > MGS2 > MGS4

3 will always be GOAT.

Soulflarz

Banned
People who are butthurt over the ending need to respect the lore and the older titles.

There is nothing to respect in the sense you're talking about. The game teased an extra part that it did not show and abruptly ended, we have every right to be pissed about that. It has nothing to do with the other games lore.

In spoiler territory,
we did not get an answer to how boss went evil in the slightest, this game and where people are when they are works against the series lore more than it helps worldbuild.

Parsnip

Truly
The Ladder
from MGS 3 is the best boss in all of video games
I like you and this post.

But yes, MGS3 is still the best.

Had to use a guide for one puzzle in Talos Principle.
But how was I supposed to know that I can
put cubes on top of the mines?

Maybe Talos Principle screenshot spoiler.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
MGS3 is the best game in the series.

The campy story and dialogue mixed with the actually good gameplay made it by far the best.

def sim

I forgot about revengeance. It's definitely the best playing Metal Gear game aside from MGSV.

Yup. If I had to play an MGS game just for fun, Phantom Pain and Revengeance would be my go-to. I've found the rest to be clunky stealth games with an intriguing enough story to carry me through.

The first MGS was tremendous at the time so it gets a pass from that criticism.

Pachimari

This is the only true ranking.

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid V

gelf

Nothing beats MGS1. The rest of the ranking doesn't even matter. Sad to see it so low on these lists.
MGS1 has undoubtedly the best atmosphere in my book, and the best music and Foxhound > any other group in the series.

But I would go with:

MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS5 > MGS2 > MGS4 >> PW

I've enjoyed them all really though.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This is the only true ranking.

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid V

Damn, when you're writing it like this I get super irritated with the decision to go for roman numerals in MGS5.

Pachimari

I'm super curious with how MGS V ends and how many cutscenes and bosses are really in there but as there aren't many, I can't get myself to further play it.

yuraya

There is nothing to respect in the sense you're talking about. The game teased an extra part that it did not show and abruptly ended, we have every right to be pissed about that. It has nothing to do with the other games lore.

In spoiler territory,
we did not get an answer to how boss went evil in the slightest, this game and where people are when they are works against the series lore more than it helps worldbuild.

Maybe its because
he was never evil. The evil person in the series is Solid Snake. He kills more innocent people than anyone else. He is pretty much an executioner who had his way with everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom