• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
eX9qgZy.jpg

Adnor

Banned
No achievements?

Klei is complete trash fam.

Klei has said before that they never wanted achievements for Don't Starve because it's an open-ended game. When they made the PS4 version and had to add some because of Sony's certification rules they added the blandest achievements possible, and a completly useless item that uses a lot of rare materials that only gives you a achievement if you use it like a hundred times.

Grief.exe

Klei has said before that they never wanted achievements for Don't Starve because it's an open-ended game. When they made the PS4 version and had to add some because of Sony's certification rules they added the blandest achievements possible, and a completly useless item that uses a lot of rare materials that only gives you a achievement if you use it like a hundred times.

They throw years of free updates at me to try to buy some kind of loyalty, but then they stab me in the back like this because no achievements.

Like I said, complete trash.

Now Capy is in on the conspiracy too? Lazy and garbage devs.

Sch1sm

I've only ever met a single person who's cared about Steam achievements

Was the person LORD?

I only care when I have a game that's like...5 achievements or less off 100% completion. That doesn't happen frequently because I'm no completionist by any means. That 40% achievement status on my profile makes me feel nothing.

fertygo

Was the person LORD?

I only care when I have a game that's like...5 achievements or less off 100% completion. That doesn't happen frequently because I'm no completionist by any means. That 40% achievement status on my profile makes me feel nothing.

Stallion Free is achievement freaks iirc

I've only ever met a single person who's cared about Steam achievements

In a sense, they push me to be a better player. Even in those casual games, if they have an achievement like "don't use hints for the whole game," then I'm not using hints. If there aren't any achievements, I'm totally using hints.

ngt

In a sense, they push me to be a better player.

I think achievements force you to play a certain way, but I'm not sure about being a better player. Most of the achievements are pointless anyway, like "die in the tutorial", "complete level 5" etc.
I agree about casual games, those are nice, I try to do all achievements in them.

dex3108

haha who are they trying to fool.

They are trying so hard to justify it. They are still loosing their fanbase and they don't want to do anything except make things worse. They are spending tons of money on their VR Headset that nobody will buy, they are working on VR Walking Dead game I think or something like that for their Headset that will be DoA. If they continue like this they won't last long.

Grief.exe

They're clearly history's greatest monsters.

Burn it to the ground.

hopefully everyone got the sarcasm. I love Klei, and while I would love achievements, they have delivered years of free content updates while sticking to their initial design goals.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I think achievements force you to play a certain way, but I'm not sure about being a better player. Most of the achievements are pointless anyway, like "die in the tutorial", "complete level 5" etc.
I agree about casual games, those are nice, I try to do all achievements in them.

Which is really all I need or want from them most of the time when I replay a game and want to try for something different from how I did it naturally the first time. I won't do something that doesn't feel fun mind you, but say playing Dead Space with a weapon I never got around to last time, an achievement for mastering it is a good enough reason to go that route.

That's all achievements/trophies really are for though, a bit of extra fun and perhaps an excuse to do something for most people. Whether we enjoy them or not, it's something that a lot of people are more likely to complete a game and actually see the ending when "beat the game" is an achievement/trophy than they would if it lacked that.

Mulgrok

I stopped visiting the explore option in the store page, because all it recommends are shovelware visual novels and survival/minecraft clones. Valve is doing great if their plan is for me to never visit the store page and make impulse buys ever again.

sadblob

I'm ready for sale cards. I have a ton of badges waiting to be crafted. The no dailies thing kinda killed my enthusiasm for sales though. I just hope the meta game is good.

Is it worth it to save badges for the sale instead of getting discounts (I know they are generally pretty shitty, but a man can dream)?

Mivey

I'm not. At the rate they're going, the sales will only be for Steam Mobile Authenticator users.
Everyone else is a certified spam bot, of course.
I guess Valve is a bit anthropocentric, you could argue that algorithms also have a right to spend money, or rather, try to steal it from humans.

Is it worth it to save badges for the sale instead of getting discounts (I know they are generally pretty shitty, but a man can dream)?

Only if you care about cards/badges/levels. Crafting a badge during the summer or winter sale typically gives you cards that go toward the sale badge. If you craft enough of them you can easily get several levels of the sale badge.

You could get coupons that stack with the sale discounts as well, but in my experience that's rare.

Sarcasm

I don't want to do this mostly because all my passwords are 25-30 character nonsense and it is a pain to type them into anything let alone a phone. Last pass is great.

You don't type it in a phone..well once to log in. This is for your account in general, including web.

What happens for me is I go to log in on my PC. A small notification pops up in my notification bar with a code and on my PC a pane pop sup for code input.

zkylon

zkylewd
one looks like unreal tournament or something

i trust the gun, that's how i know it's a videogame and not a cutscene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom