• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granjinha

Total War: Warhammer has sold just over 1 million on Steam

Not sure if that is thread worthy. Seems impressive considering the game has only been out since May. Also the quality of the game seems to have improved a lot in the past months.

In what way? They did add more content, but Total Warhammer was incredible from the get go. The patches helped with the performance, though.

It's easily one of the best games this year.

Now if only SEGA would give Alien another shot :(

Not sure if that is thread worthy. Seems impressive considering the game has only been out since May. Also the quality of the game seems to have improved a lot in the past months.

It's very good numbers, but it's starting to feel as business as usual for the heavy hitters in the strategy genre now. XCOM2 has been over that mark for a while, and Civ 6 reached it in about a week after it's release.

I really need someone to help me comprehend what Sega is seeing in releasing Azure Revolution on Xbone. I mean, even Final Fantasy sells poorly on Xbox, and that's the biggest JRPG IP ever. Nevermind that Valkyria has no history on Xbox whatsoever - Not even a testing of the waters with a port of VCRemastered.

Or is Sega banking precisely on the IP having no history on the Xbox as some sort of hedge against fans on PlayStation not being quite so enthusiastic about the change in direction? I mean surely if that were the case the JRPG-hungry masses on Steam would have been a better bet, no?

Nzyme32

In what way? They did add more content, but Total Warhammer was incredible from the get go. The patches helped with the performance, though.

It's easily one of the best games this year.

Now if only SEGA would give Alien another shot :(

I'm just going off some of the reviews that had been coming since launch, and the improved reviews compared to back then (one of the reasons I decided to wait). I haven't followed Total War sales at all to understand how big it's gotten, but I know it's a usual heavy hitter so to speak.

It's very good numbers, but it's starting to feel as business as usual for the heavy hitters in the strategy genre now. XCOM2 has been over that mark for a while, and Civ 6 reached it in about a week after it's release.

True. I haven't followed how big Total War has been getting.

Granjinha

I really need someone to help me comprehend what Sega is seeing in releasing Azure Revolution on Xbone. I mean, even Final Fantasy sells poorly on Xbox, and that's the biggest JRPG IP ever. Nevermind that Valkyria has no history on Xbox whatsoever - Not even a testing of the waters with a port of VCRemastered.

Or is Sega banking precisely on the IP having no history on the Xbox as some sort of hedge against fans on PlayStation not being quite so enthusiastic about the change in direction? I mean surely if that were the case the JRPG-hungry masses on Steam would have been a better bet, no?

SEGA Japan doesn't make any sense.

Nzyme32

So, can we all agree Sega gives no fuck about PC anymore ?

If anyone is worried about sega leaving PC

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2016/all_ar2016_e.pdf

On page 60 on their annual reports:

Background
-The PC game market is growing
steadily.

Current measures

-Increasing the unit sales of
mainstay titles
-Concentrating on PC games,
particularly among overseas

Expected Benefits

-Acquisition of stable revenue
and expansion of PC games

Fiscal 2017 Outlook
We plan to increase revenues in the digital game area by marketing new PC games

Total War: Warhammer changed their PC game division from a $3.4 million loss last year to a $68 million profit this year, so they see there is an audience there. It might mean some online/ free to play games but I'm sure there will be other games as well.

Yeah. For anyone "fearful" of Sega and their PC plans, this points out the plans for the next few years - note the highlighted:

wfPK1qv.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are the Elder Scrolls series known to be progressive towards LGBT people? Ive noticed there are quite a few gay characters in ESO, well at least lesbian characters (baby steps?), but they dont make a big deal out of it, a female character will just casually say her wife needs help or something, which I apreciate.

One of the big characters in the Thieves Guild DLC for example (and also the best character in the dlc) has a whole questline about her girlfriend.

Like I said, there doesnt seem to be any male gay characters (at least that Ive seen) but a little is better than nothing, I guess?

SEGA can start with putting their Atlus titles on PC. I'm sure that will see a growth in sales. Also remastering the Persona series would do wonders for that platform and other modern platforms.

Yeah. For anyone "fearful" of Sega and their PC plans, this points out the plans for the next few years - note the highlighted:

wfPK1qv.png

Sega's PC presence is solely focused on western developed PC exclusive games though, by Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, whatever name those Endless Legends guys go under, etc etc. Bringing Japanese games to PC are clearly an afterthought. At least relative to companies like Capcom, Spike Chunsoft, or Nippon Ichi who have been laser focused on bringing their console back-catalog to PC over the past year or so.

I mean, shit, the other big players - Namco, Square (Ok, somewhat inconsistently), Capcom, fuck even Konami and Tecmo-Koei, aren't just releasing ports, they're releasing day-and-date (or close enough) ports announced at or around the same time, and are reaping the rewards, whilst Sega is being slow and hesitant with not much but Valkyria Chronicles as far as JRPGs released on PC go followed by an anticlimax.

are the Elder Scrolls series known to be progressive towards LGBT people? Ive noticed there are quite a few gay characters in ESO, well at least lesbian characters (baby steps?), but they dont make a big deal out of it, a female character will just casually say her wife needs help or something, which I apreciate.

One of the big characters in the Thieves Guild DLC for example (and also the best character in the dlc) has a whole questline about her girlfriend.

Like I said, there doesnt seem to be any male gay characters (at least that Ive seen) but a little is better than nothing, I guess?

Not as prevalent as ESO it seems. This list seems robust, nothing about Redguard Adventures though.

http://ladynerevar.tumblr.com/post/92855271360/lgbtq-in-the-elder-scrolls

Pachimari

Good price, but I only need Rebel Assault and Rogue Squadon and then its not worth buying the whole bundle...
Why is Steam not doing a sale? There is a Star Wars movie coming out tomorrow ffs!

Wonder why its only available in Europe?

I'm in a similar boat. Really just need xwing vs tie fighter.

Yeah me too. I only need Rebel Assault I+II and Rogue Squadron 3D.

Ninja Turtles reaches its lowest price before possible removal.

Ah shit, another removal? I don't have the €15 to spend on it currently. And this game is still pretty new.

ArjanN

The only people who think SEGA is bailing on PC haven't payed attention to Sega in years.

I mean, I got the impression porting stuff over this console gen is basically 'free' compared to last gen. How many extra copies do they really have to sell to cover the cost of having an extra SKU.

Y'know, someone really ought tease Durante that his precious Atelier came at the cost of Valkyria :V

I mean, I got the impression porting stuff over this console gen is basically 'free' compared to last gen. How many extra copies do they really have to sell to cover the cost of having an extra SKU.

Clearly a large enough amount that Square Enix's only JRPGs on the horizon for Xbone were announced before Type-0's sales numbers got reported. And I'd reckon Square Enix takes a lot more risks than other Japanese publishers.

Uzzy

Some of you are disappointing Lemmy. Stop disappointing Lemmy, enter this draw, and sin no more.

ModBot said:
101219-Lemmy-640x426-640x426-640x426.png

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- You must pledge your allegiance to the God of Metal before entering this giveaway. Headbanging while doing so is recommended.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uzzy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Guilty Gear Xrd REVELATOR -- MB-F5F622AA6E05D68B - Taken by KainXVIII. 68 entrants total.

t1481840493z1.png

If anyone is worried about sega leaving PC

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2016/all_ar2016_e.pdf

On page 60 on their annual reports:

Background
-The PC game market is growing
steadily.

Current measures

-Increasing the unit sales of
mainstay titles
-Concentrating on PC games,
particularly among overseas

Expected Benefits

-Acquisition of stable revenue
and expansion of PC games

Fiscal 2017 Outlook
We plan to increase revenues in the digital game area by marketing new PC games

Total War: Warhammer changed their PC game division from a $3.4 million loss last year to a $68 million profit this year, so they see there is an audience there. It might mean some online/ free to play games but I'm sure there will be other games as well.

294560.gif

Some of you are disappointing Lemmy. Stop disappointing Lemmy, enter this draw, and sin no more.

Forgive me, Lemmy. I am not the road crew.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

That's a huge boost from the most previous one, Attilla, which is sitting at 850k (with a free weekend warning on those numbers).

It's super well deserved. They made a lot of great UI and gameplay changes in Total Warhammer that make it utterly enthralling to play. Plus with how the different factions are designed, each one has a unique playstyle, giving it a huge amount of replayability. I've never been so enamoured with a Total War game before.

The success seems to have changed their DLC plans too. They've delayed the Bretonnia (a playable faction) free DLC in order to beef it up for its new February release, on top of extending the free DLC roadmap:

Apparently other Total Wars did similar stuff, but Total Warhammer has a Paradox-like DLC style, where the coinciding patches bring free elements to everyone, on top of normal bugfixes and improvements. Like for new DLC factions, they're added to the game but are only playable if you purchase it.

Like, is Total Warhammer GotY? It may be.... it may be. Not even Stellaris can stand up to its waaagh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what are some good 1-2 hour games if one wanted to "cheat" in these last 15 days left of 2016 for the 52 games thing?

Im at 40 games btw

Wok

what are some good 1-2 hour games if one wanted to "cheat" in these last 15 days left of 2016 for the 52 games thing?

1. Dyscourse
  2. Plug & Play
  3. Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger And The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
  4. There You Go
  5. Moirai
  6. The Plan
  7. Regeria Hope Episode 1
  8. The Lion's Song: Episode 1 - Silence
  9. Message Quest
  10. Wheels of Aurelia
  11. Virginia
  12. Off-Peak
  13. How To Make Your Grandpa Happy
  14. Lost Constellation
  15. Longest Night
  16. Missing Translation
  17. ISLANDS: Non-Places
  18. Lieve Oma
  19. A Postcard From Afthonia
  20. it's always monday
  21. Metamorphabet
  22. Triennale Game Collection

Im at 40 games btw

I'm at 96.

Rhaknar

1. Off-Peak
  2. How To Make Your Grandpa Happy
  3. Lost Constellation
  4. Longest Night
  5. Missing Translation
  6. ISLANDS: Non-Places
  7. Lieve Oma
  8. it's always monday
  9. Metamorphabet
  10. Triennale Game Collection

wtf at all the free or no steam games? I want to clear my backlog while I do this >_>

Rhaknar

The only non-free, on Steam game from that list I own is Message Quest so I guess I'll try that.

But it should be noted that, for the record, you suck at suggestions Wok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom