• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

there's an illuminati rule where japanese devs can't announce their pc port until a week before they're released, you guys should already know that

capcom is an exception cuz they made a deal with the devil

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I sware every time I skipped ahead on that Warhammer video in the previous page there was no shooting, wtf? Granted I didnt watch the whole thing, I ws on my phone in bet just looking to see how the action looked and...I saw no action

JarrodL

I feel like I should be able to find this information on my own easy enough, but I'm feeling lazy.

What are the rules for this years SteamGAF GOTYs?

No DLC
No Early Access
No Episodic Games Where More Than Half The Episodes Don't Come Out This Year
No Remakes or Remasters
No Ports Of Old Console Games...?
No Blizzard or Riot Games For Some Reason

So, Blood and Wine is out because it's DLC, Divinity: OS 2 is out because it's Early Access, HITMAN and Batman: Telltale are in but if a game like them managed to have it's release schedule split between two years it'd be questionable, the Bioshock and Skyrim remasters are out, annnnd...Dragon's Dogma is in? I can't remember if DD:D Arisen qualifies or not. Maybe that was more a discussion about how worthwhile it is to vote for old console ports.

Wait, is Blood & Wine really not eligible? It's not just any DLC, it's an expansion of size and quality putting most standalone games these days to shame. Doesn't seem fair.

ezodagrom

Damn SEGA, I fucking hate you but still I fucking love you but I fucking hate you but ... Etc etc

Just
Why
No
PC
?
Just quoting myself from the Valkyria topic.
I sound like a broken record by now, but, when it comes to SEGA, PC releases are on SEGA Europe hands, this is a SEGA America announcement.
They're pretty much separate entities, as seen with the North America only announcements earlier this year and the partnership between SEGA America and Deep Silver for Europe console releases.

MadGear

I didn't know that they changed the gameplay of Valkyria Chronicles so drastically with Azure Revolution. Granted I wasn't that much of a fan of the gameplay in the first one since it rewarded cheesy rushing strategies instead of a proper tactical approach but judging by the gameplay video I just watched this mashy action RPG combat doesn't look like much of an improvement. At least fighting regular soldiers looks really dull.

Ascheroth

I didn't know that they changed the gameplay of Valkyria Chronicles so drastically with Azure Revolution. Granted I wasn't that much of a fan of the gameplay in the first one since it rewarded cheesy rushing strategies instead of a proper tactical approach but judging by the gameplay video I just watched this mashy action RPG combat doesn't look like much of an improvement. At least fighting regular soldiers looks really dull.

That's because Azure Revolution is a spin-off, not a Valkyria Chronicles game. Notice the lack of 'Chronicles' in its name.

ezodagrom

Sonic Mania and Sonic 2017 were announced by the American branch and they are coming on PC.
Sonic is bit of an exception, since it has its own media channels (youtube, twitter).
For example, the trailers weren't uploaded in either SEGA Europe or America youtube channels, they were uploaded in Sonic's channel.

Valkyrie Revolution is windows store exclusive

giphy.gif

dex3108

Watch_Dogs 2 bought, Dishonored 2 reserved for next week. I guess that is it for big game purchases this year. I don't even think that i will buy anything on Steam Winter Sale.

Sonic is bit of an exception, since it has its own media channels (youtube, twitter).
For example, the trailers weren't uploaded in either SEGA Europe or America youtube channels, they were uploaded in Sonic's channel.

Btw, SEGA Europe tweeted about it. No PC version announced alongside with it.

No PC version for the time being then.
Just wait it out it'll hit PC in due time.

Right, but it still says a lot about their commitment to the platform and how they fucked up their initiative big time. Any publisher with half a brain would be like "Shit, we sold 900k of our japanese port ? Maybe we should listen to what people want !" and release it asap instead of bringing no-one-gives-a-fuck-about Sonic Lost World port 1 year later... and no port this year. Anyone with a marketing/business sense would've brought a steady string of release, with a good schedule. Like these small niche publishers putting ports one after the other.

So yes, instead of building up over that, we're back to the point in which "SEGA localize a new Valkyria spin off, coming everywhere except the platform it sold the most, and coming to the platform in which Japanese games don't sell at all".

Lain

Who needs the Valkyria game when we got Nights of Azure coming!!

Though I'm sure it'll come to PC too. Not that it changes the fact that relegating the PC announcement to next year is lame.

that new valkyria game sounds like crap anyway

Described as a “revolution” from the traditional Valkryia Chronicles universe, Valkyria Revolution is set in an alternate timeline based on the European industrialization era and moves away from the traditional turn-based strategy gameplay of the series for a new hybrid of real-time combat and tactical strategy.

but I'll just get it on PS4 if it does turn out to be decent.

They retweeted SEGA America's tweet, doesn't rule it out.

Sonic Generations PC wasn't announced until a week or two before launch, and it released together with consoles.

It released 2 weeks later iirc and 2011 was a different era. Steam was far smaller, and the 900k of VC sales didn't happened yet.

Except they already have said that they have more than 1 port in the works.

They also said we'd hear news this year. That just smells like PR talk. Unless they're making a huge Yakuza collection for Steam, there's nothing to justify such a long delay.

Grief.exe

I sound like a broken record by now, but, when it comes to SEGA, PC releases are on SEGA Europe hands, this is a SEGA America announcement.
They're pretty much separate entities, as seen with the North America only announcements earlier this year and the partnership between SEGA America and Deep Silver for Europe console releases.

That's an interesting fact.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, did you get THAT bug.

I remember a gamebreaking bug shipped with the game IIRC.

But still SoT is the best experience, while WW is the best game. The combat system is so good , especially after the terribad combat of SoT and the level's are excellently designed.

I'd say its TTT which is the real low point of the trilogy. Its not bad at anything, but its not good at anything either. Its just meh.
The bug I got was going back for a heal upgrade because it was the only one I was missing. But there was no way for me to exit the area after I collected it and I saved there. I did think the combat was better than in SoT, I dunno about level design. I think I liked SoT's better. Still, the plot/bugs completely soured me on WW so I don't care for it at all. I agree with you on TT though.

Thanks! Was I right about early access too? I have the opportunity to play Divinity: Original Sin 2 via family share and I'm wondering if I should make the attempt before voting begins.
Yeah, unless it's out of early access this year, you can't vote for it. Speedrunners is eligible, for example.

Momentary

Banned
Who needs the Valkyria game when we got Nights of Azure coming!!

Though I'm sure it'll come to PC too. Not that it changes the fact that relegating the PC announcement to next year is lame.

I thought you made this up and had to look it up. I'm so glad this turned out to be true! Sophie is coming too!!

ezodagrom

It released 2 weeks later iirc and 2011 was a different era. Steam was far smaller, and the 900k of VC sales didn't happened yet.
SEGA Europe marketing seems to be pretty much non-existant for their console to PC ports though.

All SEGA Europe console to PC ports were announced at most a month before launch...I think? (just based on memory, didn't double check it)

I've said something similar to this multiple times already.

Yeah, except at this point, it's more of a wishful thinking and we both know it. There's no Platinum Duology, Yakuza Pentalogy/Hexalogy/Collection, Shenmue Collection or whatever. Heck, we're back to the point that anything not Football Manager/Creative Assembly/Sonic is a no~not yet on PC. You can't decently deny that they don't care at all. I mean, if it was PS4/Vita only, I could see the point. But the very fact they added a platform that has proven to not sell Japanese games as opposed to the one which definitely proved it...

SEGA Europe marketing seems to be pretty much non-existant for their console to PC ports though.

All SEGA Europe console to PC ports were announced at most a month before launch...I think? (just based on memory, didn't double check it)

Yes they were. But as I said, it's not like VC happened.

ezodagrom

Yes they were. But as I said, it's not like VC happened.
VC happening didn't change that behaviour, Sonic Lost World was announced a month before release or so (I know it's just a barely average game, but still).

And it's not like they didn't have other console to PC successes before VC, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is above 800k currently.

Early next year was last we've heard on PC announcements.

Yes, and before that it was end of this year. They didn't said early next year but the new year. Basically "2017, we're buying time". No one can tell me with a straigth face that SEGA has the right strategy and that people saying otherwise are nay sayers.

VC happening didn't change that behaviour, Sonic Lost World was announced a month before release or so (I know it's just a barely average game, but still).

And it's not like they didn't have other console to PC successes before VC, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is above 800k currently.

Right, so even more reasons for them to adopt a platform parity strategy. Bamco did it. Spike Chunsoft did it. NIS did it. Capcom did it. Sega are the only ones where some people says "Good things takes time" when it's over a year for only one game, throwing us a bone with the Megadrive collection update.
Heck, KT is actually becoming a better japanese port provider than SEGA. And they dont even had the huge success SEGA had.

Tizoc

Yes, and before that it was end of this year. They didn't said early next year but the new year. Basically "2017, we're buying time". No one can tell me with a straigth face that SEGA has the right strategy and that people saying otherwise are nay sayers.

SEGA Japan hasn't had the right strategy most of the time since 1994.

ezodagrom

Right, so even more reasons for them to adopt a platform parity strategy. Bamco did it. Spike Chunsoft did it. NIS did it. Capcom did it. Sega are the only ones where some people says "Good things takes time" when it's over a year for only one game, throwing us a bone with the Megadrive collection update.
Heck, KT is actually becoming a better japanese port provider than SEGA. And they dont even had the huge success SEGA had.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that KT is a better port provider than SEGA (they really need a better pricing model <-<), but yeah, no one is going to say that SEGA's having the right strategy when it comes to this, though in my opinion the worst part is not even knowing which titles they're working on...

All that we know is that something is coming... but, how many games, which games, are they even games people want?
Ideally I'd say we should have gotten 2~4 console to pc ports per year (any more could be too much, too many releases too quickly leads to poor sales).

I wouldn't go as far as saying that KT is a better port provider than SEGA (they really need a better pricing model <-<), but yeah, no one is going to say that SEGA's having the right strategy when it comes to this, though in my opinion the worst part is not even knowing which titles they're working on...

All that we know is that something is coming... but, how many games, which games, are they even games people want?

The ports weren't great but at least they're improving and they've released far more in 3 years. They have like 4 Steam games planned already for 1st Half 2017. 2 of them being day and date releases. 3 of them being from Gust.

Benedict

If I have a steam library on an external HDD that I had for my old laptop, can I connect it to Steam on my new laptop without any issues or does it not work at all?

Weird, both Bundlestars and Green man gaming are running an up to 80% off Star Wars games sales yet the sale pages is blank and all their games are normal price.

Grief.exe

Yes, and before that it was end of this year. They didn't said early next year but the new year. Basically "2017, we're buying time". No one can tell me with a straight face that SEGA has the right strategy and that people saying otherwise are nay sayers.

That's game development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom