• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Train looks promising, yet somehow nobody on my list owns it or even has it wishlisted

Just seeing this art style reminds me of a kickstarter I once saw, done all in silhouettes, there was a sort of steampunky world set on two levels with a bunch of metal framework between them, and you started in the middle chapter of the game then jumped around other chapters? Does anybody remember this or what happened to it?

barber

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
How is the consensus on Stellaris now? Haven't been able to play it since Clarke due to several external factors (and the fact that the events where kinda lame and decided to wait a little longer for paradox to make a eu4 out of it).

Nillansan

Has anyone played this?
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394540/

Graphically it reminds me a bit of those DOS platformers Apogee published back in the day.

Ascheroth

So. after years of lurking my account was finally accepted so i guess i should do an introduction:
steam name: eonden (cat in a glass avatar)
fav. genre: 4x, strategy and classic shooters (doom style)
Thanks for all the price errors and bundles you have shown me!!

I'm in the same boat (nowhere near as long though)
I've been lurking for almost 4 months now and finally got my account activated.
Mostly lurked in this thread and I feel like I know some of you already which is weird.
Current favorite games are Titanfall 2, Dragon's Dogma and God Eater Resurrection.
As Barber said thanks for all the awesome bundles you guys have posted!

Welcome!
Just remember that this is the anime thread, and you're good, but you probably already know that!
Also, impeccable taste. Dragon's Dogma and God Eater are one of my faves as well.
---

With the addition of the rotator blocks it now really starts to feel like a proper factory line I'm building. It's amazing when you watch what build and everything clicks into place.
Those gifs are hypnotizing.
2FAfJg0.gif

Anteater

leave those poor kangaroos alone jasec

1fbkyawqsc7.gif

and yo Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast comes before Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy?

2dc7gqay6pvf.gif

Parsnip

So. after years of lurking my account was finally accepted so i guess i should do an introduction:
steam name: eonden (cat in a glass avatar)
fav. genre: 4x, strategy and classic shooters (doom style)
Thanks for all the price errors and bundles you have shown me!!

I'm in the same boat (nowhere near as long though)
I've been lurking for almost 4 months now and finally got my account activated.
Mostly lurked in this thread and I feel like I know some of you already which is weird.
Current favorite games are Titanfall 2, Dragon's Dogma and God Eater Resurrection.
As Barber said thanks for all the awesome bundles you guys have posted!

Hello and welcome to bestgaf.

PaulSane

This is my first year on SteamGAF (and actually my first year on Steam after a long hiatus), so i'm kinda out of the loop with this stuff, but i see a lot of discussions about "SteamGAF game of the year" and personal GOTYs of different people.

Which made me realize that i can't really call any game my GOTY right away. I haven't played any of the "high-profile" games that people nominate for the GOTY title, like DOOM, HITMAN, Civ6 or Witcher 3 + DLCs, due to financial constraints and the fact that AAA games still cost a lot in the russian region (their price is about 60% of the base european\american price, while smaller titles usually cost in the range of 25-40% of the base price). My biggest purchase this year was God Eater R + 2, which i liked a lot, but still need to finish the first game though. I've also played a lot of IFI\CH and NISA games that were released this year (and some that aren't yet released), mostly as a beta-tester.

If i had to actually choose a game to name my GOTY, that would probably be Xanadu Next, followed pretty close by God Eater and another game that i'm not sure i'm allowed to name yet (i doubt it's coming out this year, anyway :p)

Wok

I'm just going to assume they're joking @_@

20 FPS can be fine. For Stephen's Sausage Roll, I imagine you would not even notice the difference. However, for Trine 3, I was initially playing at 30 FPS with all the settings maxed, then I settled for slightly lower graphics settings so that the game runs at 60 FPS and it made the game a ton better. So it depends on the game. For The Last Guardian, I would say 60 FPS should make a difference.

I'm just going to assume they're joking @_@
I don't tend to joke on GAF. Too easy for a truthful opinion to be considered as sarcasm and vice versa, due to the lack of tonal indicators like inflection in typed messages

A lot of his posts in that thread are just....what.

he can enjoy a game at 15fps? good for him I guess. :3
And my value (or lack therefore of) regarding framerates has nothing to do with TLG. I played MGS V on PC at 18FPS. Played The Witcher 2 at 800x600 at the lowest graphics settings and about 22FPS (for like three hours before giving up)

To be fair, I've never played many things at 60FPS due to my low specs so I take what I can get. It's just not an issue for me unless it's a single digit FPS slideshow

Of course we could always discuss the nature of game design and which genres and kinds of games can shine regardless of low framerates (i.e. turn-based games).

Arthea

This is my first year on SteamGAF (and actually my first year on Steam after a long hiatus), so i'm kinda out of the loop with this stuff, but i see a lot of discussions about "SteamGAF game of the year" and personal GOTYs of different people.

Which made me realize that i can't really call any game my GOTY right away. I haven't played any of the "high-profile" games that people nominate for the GOTY title, like DOOM, HITMAN, Civ6 or Witcher 3 + DLCs, due to financial constraints and the fact that AAA games still cost a lot in the russian region (their price is about 60% of the base european\american price, while smaller titles usually cost in the range of 25-40% of the base price). My biggest purchase this year was God Eater R + 2, which i liked a lot, but still need to finish the first game though. I've also played a lot of IFI\CH and NISA games that were released this year (and some that aren't yet released), mostly as a beta-tester.

If i had to actually choose a game to name my GOTY, that would probably be Xanadu Next, followed pretty close by God Eater and another game that i'm not sure i'm allowed to name yet (i doubt it's coming out this year, anyway :p)
now you have to tell me what that game is, there is no way around it

Nope, the 3 second clip gives no context. Only present what happens in the clip.
How am I supposed to know every gif on the internet?

But please tell me the context.

What I mean is, maybe don't judge too much if you don't know the context.

Here's the context. You can argue forever how this should be handled, but I think any reasonable human being understands why he did it.

That Kangaroo gif makes me angry.
What a complete idiot!
Hope he fails in life.

I felt the same way until I learned that kangaroos have been known to choke, drown, or disembowel pets. Then I could understand why somebody might punch a kangaroo in order to get it away from their dog.

Jawmuncher

Won't someone think of the poor helpless kangaroos

They're jacked and a nuisance in certain parts of Australia. Slapping one so it stops messing with your dog isn't a big deal. As was said above they've done far worse to pets themselves.

Nzyme32

potato masher pro guy got a 1060 6gb for $230

Lucky guys

I bought my one for £200 exactly - with VAT considered, at the time (preBrexit) that was a fair bit more than the US - now though, it's actually a good deal since it would $180, but adding vat would bring that a tiny bit above

Benedict

What I mean is, maybe don't judge too much if you don't know the context.

Here's the context. You can argue forever how this should be handled, but I think any reasonable human being understands why he did it.

Ok, but there is also a problem with the internet of using things out of context.
Making mistakes like this is easy.
For me I only saw a bloke hitting a kangaroo without any reason.

Going a further bit OT here I would say that it's a big problem with the use of events in another context.
We see that happen again and again on the internet, using one thing for something completely different, be it for comedy effect or political reasons.

An example is the picture of a blonde boy who had is face badly beaten.
Right wing extremists is spreading the pic, taking it out of context and saying that he was attacked by immigrants, but the truth is that he was attacked by a dog.

Sorry for being a downer and sorry if anybody was offended. But these things will continue to happen and I'm not fond of it.

Tizoc

I don't tend to joke on GAF. Too easy for a truthful opinion to be considered as sarcasm and vice versa, due to the lack of tonal indicators like inflection in typed messages

And my value (or lack therefore of) regarding framerates has nothing to do with TLG. I played MGS V on PC at 18FPS. Played The Witcher 2 at 800x600 at the lowest graphics settings and about 22FPS (for like three hours before giving up)

To be fair, I've never played many things at 60FPS due to my low specs so I take what I can get. It's just not an issue for me unless it's a single digit FPS slideshow
What are your specs if you don't mind me asking? Surely there are games that you can play at 60 FPS to see what it is coveted (for lack of a better term)
Of course we could always discuss the nature of game design and which genres and kinds of games can shine regardless of low framerates (i.e. turn-based games).
Even with that discussion, the game in question is The Last Guardian which is an adventure game that involves platforming and timing actions. 60 FPS would help its visuals and animations really shine for one thing, and it should've been able to reach that FPS given its a PS3 era game from what I've gathered.

Nzyme32

Just out of curiosity, Stump, what indication did you get that this is coming to platforms other than PS4?

Activision owns the Crash rights and its developed by Vicarious Visions.

It doesnt have ANYTHING to do with Sony.

Yeah, popular misconception - though people certainly do associate it with playstation thanks to it being so prominent back in the day.

I played through the entirity of Crash (1 / 2 can't remember) while stuck in hospital when I was a kid. The lone bright spot in a really depressing year of my life. I'd definitely have to buy it if it shows up on PC purely for that nostalgia

What are your specs if you don't mind me asking? Surely there are games that you can play at 60 FPS to see what it is coveted (for lack of a better term)

Even with that discussion, the game in question is The Last Guardian which is an adventure game that involves platforming and timing actions. 60 FPS would help its visuals and animations really shine for one thing, and it should've been able to reach that FPS given its a PS3 era game from what I've gathered.
I have a non-gaming laptop but I've played 60FPS games on PS4, so I'm familiar with the difference. I find 15-20FPS as the bottom limit where a game is smooth enough (for me) to be playable just fine.

Tapejara

I understand that it's a third-party series, but I don't think any of the games in the collection have ever been released on any non-Sony platform. That's why I ask.

There's contention among Crash fans because of this reason. Many posture that Sony must still have some sort of publishing rights to the original trilogy + CTR, though I have yet to see any definitive evidence for that.

The wording over this remaster/remake has been focused on PlayStation, but my guess is it hits other platforms at some point. I'm pretty sure Shawn Layden left the possibility open when he announced it at E3 (i.e. that vague wording Sony likes to use around exclusivity), but I'm not able to look up their conference atm.

Tizoc

I have a non-gaming laptop but I've played 60FPS games on PS4, so I'm familiar with the difference. I find 15-20FPS as the bottom limit where a game is smooth enough (for me) to be playable just fine.

I understand. I'm getting the game myself in a few days, and while I gotta deal with the performance, I'll likely end up enjoying it should it live up to its predecessors.

I see zero issue with his opinion. He doesn't say he prefers low framerates. He's saying that it's still playable which it totally is. Just take a look at fitfh console generation console gaming. 15-20 was not rare and millions played them.
And personally I made similar experience. I played over 120 hours of Dark Souls at 15-25fps @ 700x394. It was ugly and better performance was so good afterwards but it wasn't unplayable or I wouldn't have put over hundred hours into it that way.
Of course I do prefer higher resolution and framerates though.

gabbo

leave those poor kangaroos alone jasec

1fbkyawqsc7.gif

and yo Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast comes before Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy?

2dc7gqay6pvf.gif

Jedi Academy, despite it's naming, was basically a multiplayer expansion for Outcast that went full product

Im hoping crash comes to pc but if it doesnt its all good, guess ill get the ps4 version. They never outright confirmed its ps4 only and still havent so theres hope

Tizoc

Im hoping crash comes to pc but if it doesnt its all good guess ill get the pc version. They never outright confirmed its ps4 only and still havent so theres hope

With the Mahvel fighter releasing a few months after PS4 I wonder if this is an approach more devs will take; release initially on PS4 then release on other platformers after a few months.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Failed the Ms Marple inspired Hitman Elusive Target :(

I bought my one for £200 exactly - with VAT considered, at the time (preBrexit) that was a fair bit more than the US - now though, it's actually a good deal since it would $180, but adding vat would bring that a tiny bit above

Would it be worthwhile going 970 to 1060? or going to 1070/1080?

With the Mahvel fighter releasing a few months after PS4 I wonder if this is an approach more devs will take; release initially on PS4 then release on other platformers after a few months.
Well shit i hope not, id prefer they come along side the console versions 👀👀

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

True Bliss -- MB-A9C8AE5FA5B43DFD - Taken by Zeeman
Nary -- MB-2CA0E5EDDF53AFCC - Taken by madjoki
Go Mission: Space Travel -- MB-A0E47969F4BD2F69 - Taken by darkchewie
R.O.O.T.S -- MB-667407DE7EFFDA00 - Taken by Valxal
Star Fields -- MB-A06860D38001C748 - Taken by bloke
StarFringe: Adversus -- MB-067DD758971CAAF2 - Taken by user237

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom