• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

RE6 is so much better than TEW. All that Melee 👌

The melee in TEW is better though...

group up a bunch of people, melee to knock down, burn them w/ a match like a boss who gives no fucks

Sebastian >>>

You are both fighting over deeply flawed games. RE6 had an amazing combat system in a disastrous and messy campaign with awful set pieces (kill wall chases, vehicles, repeated sequences across characters). TEW started really great with you having to think and move stealthily between enemies and having to manage resources carefully. It's a really scary game in the beginning with a creepy atmosphere then it switches genre and becomes kill waves of enemy and the bullet sponges bosses while baby sitting dumb AI characters. You can dump all the green goo in the crossbow with the explosive bolts or ice bolts then you start to really kick ass.

rtcn63

RE6 had bad combat in the context of the campaign. Ammo was so plentiful that trying to show off in front of your AI partner usually led do you being shot from off-screen and knocked onto your back for no real gain. Like, why? And those enemy designs... reminds me of Silent Hill Downpour and its out of place Disney-rejects. The crossbar inventory was a shitshow (first aid sprays lumped with grenades, no way to hotkey weapons or store unused ones to free up space). And the skill system was bleh compared to the individual weapon upgrade system of the previous two RE's.

TEW is alright in the last third... on subsequent playthroughs. You can game the key lockers to get some very useful upgrades early on. Knowledge is power, all that. Fire harpoons, stamina to level 4 at least, the rest in making the shotgun a viable bosskiller. Melee is ass even with the brass knuckles, switching to another weapon unequips them. Not hotkeyable either I think.

AI Joe isn't so bad cause you can use him to fuck shit up. On Nightmare he is a massive liability though, and probably makes that one section of the game among the hardest.

Laura
is forever an annoyance (even with the fire harpoons) and the
Chapter 10 boss is effectively the true boss of the game and fuck all I still don't know how I beat it after all these playthroughs.
The rest are no biggie.

EDIT: Shadows isn't beating anyone, regardless of what the talking skull tells you. Fuck those 2D side-scrolling sections and big boner bullshit. Un-fun filler.

Teggy

I need to play the TEW dlc. Started it up a while ago and it was pretty scary. Games with body horror and oozy environments creep me out. Alien Isolation came out around the same week as TEW and it was so sterile that it didn't feel scary at all except for
the nest.
TEW has an interesting storyline, I definitely want to see Kidman's story.

Edit: wait, is that Sherry adult in her child school costume real and not a mod? That is a bit much Capmcom.

rtcn63

RE6 has Sherry Birkin

RE6 wins

Kidman > Little Orphan Sherry

vmuxoin93rbl8funbz0z.gif

rtcn63

Every time I try to start up TEW I quit after 30 minutes of starting.

I don't know why I can't bring myself to actually play through the game.

This is me with RE Remake. Which is funny considering that I consider TEW more of a successor to it than RE4. The two games are like Back to the Future fractured timeline parallels.

Nzyme32

Steam operates most of their online infrastructure from a CDN or Content Delivery Network. Essentially, they have origin servers that host their website, databases, etc that handle not only the delivery of web-based content but also handle things such as server hosting and matchmaking in games. This data gets replicated across the world to be able to handle the millions of simultaneous users that connect to Steam.

Every Tuesday (more or less) they take the updated content from the internal dev servers and push them to the origin servers, which then (in turn) update all the servers hosting steam content on the CDN. Presumably, they take their CDN connections offline until the content is refreshed - which is why some parts of the world come back online sooner than others. Most likely they do this to eliminate any potential issues that could arise from having one set of servers with different versions of code from other servers that could potentially introduce vulnerabilities.

So essentially this is just a Steam-wide "software refresh". Most of the stuff it's pushing to their CDN servers is probably things going on in the background that we'll never know about. Either that, or the process is so automated that it happens even when code changes don't take place (that would be so Valve).

It doesn't have to be this way, but I get it that it's probably the easiest way to make sure their entire online server infrastructure is hosting the correct content with the least amount of hassle for them - even though it's a huge hassle for us the users.

A damn fine answer. Thanks again for the usual fascinating clarity.

Teggy

So I was playing Hitman and I kept running across these scooters and if you had a wrench it said you could make an oil leak. And I had no idea why you would want an oil leak or what that would do. So I just made oil leaks on 3 or 4 scooters I came across. A few minutes later I got a "non-target kill" and "body found" messages and I had no idea what was going on. And it kept happening every once in a while. Then I came upon a coroner putting a body in a body bag - it turned out random people were getting on the scooters and immediately crashing and dying.

So let that be a lesson, make sure your scooter doesn't have an oil leak.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Turnover -- MB-4E22915ACCE3A9B9 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 12 entrants total.

t1481130965z1.png

Ascheroth

Are any of you still playing God Eater/2?

I hated it at first, for not being MonHun basically, but it finally clicked with me and now I love it. I am probably about 1/2 way through Resurrection now.
Yes, I'm ~70 hours into God Eater 2.
Still having lots of fun, though their was a timeframe where it didn't click completely. Got fixed by changing my weapon and gun type. (Wasn't feeling the Buster Sword that much even though it was my main weapon in Resurrection, so I'm primarily Scythe right now, and apparently I just can't use any other gun than a sniper if I want to have fun)

But yeah, after playing it that much it's safe to se say that if you're expecting MH, you'll likely be disappointed, it's very much its own thing.

Momentary

Banned

Just tested the game.

It's a DotEmu game first off. They did offer resolutions above 1920x1080. BUT... BUT.... The game is running at 56~57 FPS on my Titan XP.

I turned off GSYNC to make sure it wasn't causing any issues. But the game is running at a jacked up frame rate and it's also causing the sound to be slightly off sync.

It's basically unplayable for me right now.

Ill see if my steam key is up @ hb.

I don't know if that will happen. Aside from the 56FPS and sound issue the game has a decent presentation along with online capabilities. I think that's something the Humble Bundle release did not have.

Valxal

This is me with RE Remake. Which is funny considering that I consider TEW more of a successor to it than RE4. The two games are like Back to the Future fractured timeline parallels.

That's pretty funny since I can play through the RE Remake just fine but going back to Resident Evil 4 is a chore for me. No clue as to why.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah... it's running at 56~57 no matter what I do. I restarted my rig to make sure the GSync wasn't in effect anymore and the issue is still there. I haven't tried online since the frame drops just hurts my eyes.

It is only 9 bucks. I'll give them 13 days to fix the game before asking for a refund.

Maybe fun things bore you in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eh, it's not the pinnacle of the RE series but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.
Edit: The Evil Within and Shadows of the Damned are better though. Really wish SotD would get a Steam release down the road.

Teggy

Wow, it sounds like I should stop playing ffxv for a while. Sounds like they released the game wayyyy too early.

Tapejara

Just got a personal email from the CEO of GamePump saying they were working on getting some of the old Brøderbund licenses. (Not trolling)

Spelunker on Steam yes please! (Probably not because Tozai has the license I believe and I'd rather have them port over Spelunker HD anyway).

Tizoc

Honestly, not really. All Steam reviews point towards it being geared towards kids. I'd say yes if it had trading cards, but it doesn't have... anything, really. Maybe if you have a young child?
Whats wrong with getting games/edutainment software aimed at kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom