• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popstar

Most likely, the people who saw it have scripts monitoring all the Humble widgets and Steam-redeemable stores waiting for price mistakes.
That's probably it.

The dev should have probably just made it PWYW on Itch without a Steam key. People get crazed about Steam keys. Script kiddies are no doubt farming the widget.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah not in the right state of mind for dishonored 2, imma just drop it for the time being. game is just too demanding in a way that i don't find fun right now and i feel its story and universe is actively pushing me away right now

started dragon's dogma instead, which kind of got me hooked as soon as i got a good look at it and realized this is a ps2 fucking looking game and i love it lol

like the fucking grimiest textures ever and just janky animations all over and demon's souls menus and all that stuff, it's awesome

i should go back to ladykiller in a bind too, but i'm not in the mood for that either

i should one of these days just transform into this weird state that only plays league of legends and fallout 2

madjoki

It's intended.
https://vectorpark.itch.io/metamorphabet

It's kinda shitty just linking to the widget and not the developer's site tho. (not dogging madjoki, just whoever started spreading the humble-widget direct link)

yeah, I got only direct link and don't have clue where it originated.

That's probably it.

The dev should have probably just made it PWYW on Itch without a Steam key. People get crazed about Steam keys. Script kiddies are no doubt farming the widget.

Yeah, imo these kind of deals should be limited to 1 per person (payment method / ip). Humble does this for bundles, not sure if for widgets.

I'm close to 700 games, which is why I was trying to warn this poor soul. :(

I have 3700, I'm lost already.

Ascheroth

So I've recently bought this because I liked the artstyle and it seemed interesting. Just completed it at probably 7 or 8 hours, so here are my thoughts:

First of all, the artstyle really is the best thing about the game, right along with great eerie atmosphere. Have some examples:
B71B0BB2AC3C9FCC47EAEA2905F75CB0A0F738B3
5F5DBE373FAB21D741F2E99211282650D8C3FC52
81A6B1A13CF780457FCA5C0FE87B845CA13AEE67
39C2553DFDEBCDF1C576B43290601FABC72236D9

Gameplay is only decent and sadly sometimes just frustrating.
Essentially it's a 2D puzzle adventure game, where you control your character by dragging around the green firefly and also use it to interact with things. It's a neat idea and not a problem most of the time, but it can get annoying fast when you're required to react fast and/or precise, which then makes it feel like you're fighting more against the controls than against the obstacles and puzzles.
You also have a purple firefly which can only move in shadows. You can trigger the shadow world where time freezes and you control that firefly to move around in that world and can interact with some objects.

The highlight for me besides artstyle and atmosphere were the boss battles. I enjoyed those a lot, even if I died a lot. They were a welcome change-of-pace.
...Except the last one. Because fuck the last boss.
Again the idea was cool - but it both went on for too long and got ridiculously difficult. And not the 'you need to figure out his weakpoint first and then bring your A-game'-kind of difficulty, but the 'lol fuck you, hope you're lucky'-kind.
There really are a more than necessary amount of moments that just feel difficult for the sake of being difficult. A shame.

Also the game is dark as fuck. There is no story outright told, but what you can piece together by the environments and see in the flashbacks from the memory fragments you find in the levels is the opposite of happy-go-lucky.
Hell, there is a boss you have to defeat by feeding corpses that look like you, which it uses as nutrients, to other plants so that it just withers and dies.

Anteater

yay finished jedi academy, chose the light side and its power mostly, game sorta drags a bit towards the end tho, since you fight the same dudes a lot

gonna play outcast next because I thought jedi knight II: Jedi Outcast is the sequel to Jedi Academy ಠ_ಠ

YAi5ScU.jpg

derFeef

Is overcooked complicated mechanically? Like when I want to try it with people who never touched a controller, or not very often?

Tapejara

I finally killed those Anor Londo archers. Did it the easy way and just used poison arrows. So glad that's over with; those two nearly killed my motivation to continue playing.

Uraizen

Banned
Just tested the game.

It's a DotEmu game first off. They did offer resolutions above 1920x1080. BUT... BUT.... The game is running at 56~57 FPS on my Titan XP.

I turned off GSYNC to make sure it wasn't causing any issues. But the game is running at a jacked up frame rate and it's also causing the sound to be slightly off sync.

It's basically unplayable for me right now.

Ah shit, I have the same GPU. Does Last Blade run at the same strange framerate for you as well? If you own it, that is. I remember hearing a similar complaint for that game too. I can only get 57 or 58 at best for whatever reason. What sucks is people say the netcode is better than the PS4/Vita version and uses rollback.

Jadax

I finally killed those Anor Londo archers. Did it the easy way and just used poison arrows. So glad that's over with; those two nearly killed my motivation to continue playing.

Anor Londo is actually the place that got me into the game completely. I love the architecture there, the lighting, the rotating platform, the different types of fights there...and of course Gwynevere.

I was legit sad when I moved onto the next stage.

Anteater

anor londo was like the climax to me honestly, I didn't like most of the portions in the second half, I also loved blighttown and thought it has the best level design in the entire game

Any tips for playing Spelunky anyone? I think its pretty difficult. I have played the early Megaman games and finished them. So maybe i´m missing something.

I like it so far, the music is great.

Wok

Gwynevere

Coincidence.

Any tips for playing Spelunky anyone? I think its pretty difficult. I have played the early Megaman games and finished them. So maybe i´m missing something.

If you see spikes in front of you, at the same altitude, you can just run past them. You only die if you jump on them.

It has been a long time though, so I hope I am not making things up.

Tapejara

Don't get me wrong, Anor Londo is great. It's just those archers near the beginning are ridiculously unfair lol.

Practice is your best friend in Spelunky. You'll start to learn the quirks of the enemies, weapons and environments the more you play. When you reach the end of an area (1-4, 2-4, etc) be sure to give Tunnel Man the items he needs to make shortcuts. While the thrill in beating the game comes from doing it without shortcuts, building them will allow you to practice each area with less frustration.

Tellaerin

So I've been playing Echoes+. It's a twin-stick shooter with faux vector graphics art that plays like Geometry Wars meets Asteroids.

It's good. It's also free. (Straight up free, no microtransactions.)

Might be old news to most of you, but I thought it was worth passing along.

free ass creed 3 up on uplay

Oh look, it's everyone's favorite free game, "502 Bad Gateway". -_-;;

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

• Always carry something. A rock or skull or pot or a weapon. Even a rat will do on the first world, in case you need to set off one of the arrow traps.
  • Remember you can aim somewhat with your throws, practice that for a while. Especially with bombs.
  • The damsel/dude/dog in distress that you rescue will give you an extra health if you take them to the exit.
  • If you see a sacrifice alter, go ahead and put a body on there. Give as much as you can to the hungry goddess.
  • It's worth killing the giant spiders at least once.
  • A few levels have secret entrances to hidden stages on them. One has a specific item that will help you locate it for a secret shopping area.

Just explore, kill everything at least once, and in time the secrets of the game will show up to you. Have fun, it can be addictive.

Oh look, it's everyone's favorite free game, "502 Bad Gateway". -_-;;

Ubisoft going above and beyond to deliver that Assassin's Creed experience before you even get the game.

Thanks a lot. Will dive into it a lot, it really is addictive.

The bomb aiming is a bit frustrating first and the arrow traps are real tough.

Lain

Got these bonus codes from backing Indivisible and I don't need them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

How To Survive -- MB-B20D46A954938A0E - Taken by Natty1. 1 entrants total.
Brother -- MB-91013628ADE67748 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.

t1481108250z1.png

Brother shouldn't be the one modbot picked up but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, but it's my fault there as I used the name from backerkit page.

Oreoleo

yay finished jedi academy, chose the light side and its power mostly, game sorta drags a bit towards the end tho, since you fight the same dudes a lot

gonna play outcast next because I thought jedi knight II: Jedi Outcast is the sequel to Jedi Academy ಠ_ಠ

YAi5ScU.jpg

The Jedi Knight naming scheme is a mess, it's no surprise you got the order mixed up.

I played both games this year and I thought Outcast was way, way better. The minor improvements to combat in Academy are no substitute for Outcasts much better story and level design. The heavily segmented design of Academy's levels, being able to play them in basically whatever order you want, was a huge turn off to me.

Make sure to play the game with lightsaber dismemberment turned on :) Lopping off heads, arms and torsos is ceaselessly entertaining.

I thought Dark Forces 2 was pretty good as well, especially considering the time frame it was released, but I can't imagine playing that game last would be very enjoyable as it's a lot more dated/archaic than Outcast and Academy.

Anyone wanna try out some keys?

I have some unredeemed keys from some Bundles, but I am not sure whether they work:

Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians

Beware Planet Earth!

Mercenary Kings

Trine 2: Complete Story

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Deques

I have some unredeemed keys from some Bundles, but I am not sure whether they work:

Beware Planet Earth!

Mercenary Kings

I want to try some keys, too bad I already got all the games :D

Oreoleo

Also the protagonists were bad.

Kyle Katarn is the best, not that shitty padawan and his awful friend

Dude, yeah. I don't know who thought that was a good idea. You play as Kyle in like 4 different games (edit: okay, 3 1/2) and he has a rich backstory to his character and then Academy basically relegates him to Luke Skywalker #2 while you play as some blank slate Jedi. Lame.

And Jan Ors not even being in the game is unforgivable.

Arthea

Planet Coaster is still near the top of bestseller list. It has to be really good

I mean, I liked Zestiria, and all, even despite Bamco doing anything in their power to make PC players miserable (30 fps lock, framepacing issues, lack of mip-mapping for textures, Symphonia port), but really...
When it comes to C-tier jRPGs, I'd much rather have Trails of Cold Steel on Steam, sorry Berseria.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Planet Coaster is still near the top of bestseller list. It has to be really good

sales equals quality now? I guess that only works for indie darlings huh? :3

Arthea

sales equals quality now? I guess that only works for indie darlings huh? :3

no need for irony, for games that aren't AAA, good sales usually mean that a game is exceptionally good, especially if it's not hyped game. You won't argue with that, or would you?

edited: to be clear I'm not saying that good games can not fail to sell, because they totally can.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
no need for irony, for games that aren't AAA, good sales usually mean that a game is exceptionally good, especially if it's not hyped game. You won't argue with that, or would you?

edited: to be clear I'm not saying that good games can not fail to sell, because they totally can.

just yanking your chain although when COD sells...err... used to sell (lol) relaly good nobody was rushing off to say it must be really good. Just sayin

Coreda

Grrrr... So I finally attain the Metropolis status for a city in Anno 1404, which according to this wiki should grant 850 Prestige—enough to gain the required level of Prestige with the Vizier needed for a quest—yet it didn't grant any Prestige...

Campaign mode sucks in that way. Completely different set of rules.

Hakkelus

Beware Planet Earth!

Mercenary Kings

I would like the Mercenary Kings if it's not gone already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom