• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION DUELISTS
iBjvKWO.jpg

My hair is telling you to wishlist this
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/480650/

Really tempted to drop $25 on this

Aaron D.

Thats why I never bought anything again after the Wii VC. What good does it do when I only have it for 4-5 years and would have to get out an old console every time I want to play them again. Or if I sold a console, I lose access to my digitally bought games.

Honestly, this ranks high on my list for never buying a game console ever again.

I'll never say never, of course. But man if I couldn't give one whiff for modern console gaming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Nintendo's "account system" is laughably bad. When you buy from the eShop, you're buying digital game that are bound to your hardware, and not to your account. After my first Wii went tits up and I was told by Nintendo support I would have to re-purchase my VC and WiiWare games I noped the fuck out of their digital ecosystem. It seems it's a bit better now, but it's definitely sad to see that's still going to be a thing nearly a decade later.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wtf, you can control uplay with a controller and it even has xbox icons lol

Yeah, Ubi has actually done a commendable job over the years of improving the Uplay user experience. Most recently, you no longer need to manually register a product key when launching a Uplay game through Steam; Uplay now detects the activation app in your sub and automatically registers the appropriate SKU to your account. This also means that "Failed to contact key server" should now be a thing of the past as far as Uplay games are concerned as Ubi no longer needs to provide Valve with keys.

I hope you're taking notes, EA. Your war of attrition has worked on many, but I know the other shoe is going to drop eventually. ;)

Nabs

Is there any way to tell Uplay that I don't want to use their overlay, and to stop telling me to use their overlay before I launch each game? Thanks.

Knurek

When you buy from the eShop, you're buying digital game that are bound to your hardware, and not to your account.

Not even that. It's bound to your NNID. Reformat your SD card, and poof, your NNID (and all your purchases) are gone.
(Also, eShop doesn't check validity of your licence online - if you have a ticket (say, *.acf, for us, Steamfolks) for a game on your SD card, you own the game in Nintendo's eyes.

JaseC

Is there any way to tell Uplay that I don't want to use their overlay, and to stop telling me to use their overlay before I launch each game? Thanks.

I suppose closing your eyes for five seconds after the game launches counts as "Ignorance is bliss".

ok, do I pick Stasis or Underrail as my free game from the Wasteland 3 campaign?

Totally different games. Stasis is a damn good (and spooky) point-n-click adventure/puzzle game. It's somewhat resolution limited, but it's one of the better examples of the genre, and lasts the right length of time and doesn't overstay its welcome. If you want a point-n-click adventure, this is the way to go.

Underrail is a janky but entertaining isometric indie RPG that is somewhat a homage to the earlier Fallout games. It's more combat-focused than anything. If you want an unofficial sequel to Fallout 1 or 2, or played through that Wasteland reboot recently, this is the way to go.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Brigador in a bundle!

oh wait, its a shitty mp3 bundle and it costs $10 to get Brigador...fuck you Groupees

Actually quite sad to see how Groupees bundles get less and less popular. I mean that Meridian4 bundle, which actually has some nice games in it, sold 500 times.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Actually quite sad to see how Groupees bundles get less and less popular. I mean that Meridian4 bundle, which actually has some nice games in it, sold 500 times.

I haven't bought anything from Groupees in almost a year. Yet it seems like every time I log in, I have about 10 games with Steam keys waiting, never fails. Even today.

Anustart

Ugh. Forced another 5 minutes of ff 13. Why is the camera so god damn fucking reluctant to let you control it? It's a constant fight with that fucking thing. And the battles remain boring as fuck.

rtcn63

I tried playing Duke Nukem Forever for a bit. The game stutters often when turning the camera. Turning off shadows and vsync didn't help. Uninstalled.

JaseC

Obviously Nintendo's stance on purchase transfers is still up on the air, but even at this point it's baffling and increasingly inexcusable that Valve is still unique in that it takes library preservation seriously. I've said this before, but due to Valve's zero tolerance stance on licence invalidation (save for promotional betas and the like), account bans/suspensions being no more, and the mystery contingency plan should Steam be on the chopping block (which I believe is the dozens of third-party content servers being updated to also act as authentication servers), Steam users practically do own their games as there is no realistic scenario in which they'll no longer be able to access them.

Uninstalled Doom. Beat the campaign, have no use for multiplayer. Fuck they push some huge patches.
Games like doom make me wish you could just download what you're planning on playing. Likenif i bought doom im never touching the mp, played the beta and it was boring as fuck, 0 interest in playing it again

Tizoc

Games like doom make me wish you could just download what you're planning on playing. Likenif i bought doom im never touching the mp, played the beta and it was boring as fuck, 0 interest in playing it again
Call of duty games do this don't they?

Nzyme32

I expressed my frustration of this in the Nintendo thread thing as it pretty much guarantees that yet again I can't justify buying a nintendo system, and was met with the usual "nah this is good" but also "this time they are making a service platform; they said so; we'll never have to pay again after this". While they can go ahead and try to prove this at their event next year, a company willing to do this in 2016 is not one I wish to test. Even supposed guarantees that this will be a transformation point for Nintendo, I'm not sure I can believe with such a long history and these kind of slants towards perpetuity being respected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom