• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thread continues to mystify keeping games installed and it baffles me every time.

is it a bandwith thing? is it a shitty isp speed thing where if by a miracle you suddenly wanted to play a game again (even tho you should be playing the other 500 games in your backlog) so you want to keep it installed otherwise it takes too long?

I honestly dont understand people making a big deal out of uninstalling games, I uninstall every game I finish. I finished it, thats...thats it, theres no reason to keep it installed.

Anteater

thread continues to mystify keeping games installed and it baffles me every time.

is it a bandwith thing? is it a shitty isp speed thing where if by a miracle you suddenly wanted to play a game again (even tho you should be playing the other 500 games in your backlog) so you want to keep it installed otherwise it takes too long?

I honestly dont understand people making a big deal out of uninstalling games, I uninstall every game I finish. I finished it, thats...thats it, theres no reason to keep it installed.

it's not that, problem here is that we have too many games installed that we haven't finished...

Wok

it's not that, problem here is that we have too many games installed that we haven't finished...

I think you are actually right. I usually uninstall games after I finish them and I have 241 games installed. It is not incompatible.

Edit: What if there is an post-apocalyptic nuclear time and you have to stay at home for months playing video games?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I expressed my frustration of this in the Nintendo thread thing as it pretty much guarantees that yet again I can't justify buying a nintendo system, and was met with the usual "nah this is good" but also "this time they are making a service platform; they said so; we'll never have to pay again after this".

I agree; I am willing to re-pay for stuff I bought a long time ago. I do it all the time on Steam/GOG. But I only want to re-buy once more. Now we're in the digital world and I want to carry stuff forward. That means free compatibility fixes for OS updates, and being able to redownload forever and again. So for me, I was very eager with the Wii Virtual Console, a lot less eager paying the upgrade fee for the Wii U Virtual Console, and not at all apt to pay the Switch upgrade fee.

There are some reasons we would expect things to get better going forward (Sony/MS are on X64 and Nintendo on ARM, component standardization is increasing, account infrastructure is building out, BC is becoming an easier technical problem) but I'm not going to be dipping in for much unless they recognize that it's now a buyer's market and I can reasonably make this demand.

Aaron D.

Yeah, and then there's those perpetual, never-ending games that will stay on my HDD forever, barring a new release in the franchise.

Stuff like Kerbal, Civ, CK/EU, Farm Sim & Euro Truck.

There's an argument to be made for a standing library.

Eternia

I definitely noticed my habits change depending on my internet. When I had 25Mb cable with 150GB of monthly usage, yes, I did keep a close eye on what I downloaded and kept on my drives. Larger games would take over an hour to download which encouraged me to retain anything of interest often ahead of when I would actually plan to play them. Space was cheap and abundant while my internet was relatively limited (and as Anteater pointed out, not everyone finishes their games immediately). It was more convenient doing that way.

Nowadays with speeds closer to gigabit and unlimited usage, it's easy to not care when 25GB games take less than 15 minutes to finish and I am able to grab it as many times as I want.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Another 11GB patch for Doom. I'm tempted to uninstall it.

Speaking of patches, what I find interesting is, due to Steam's patching process, the difference between the download size and required free space. In case you're not familiar, while these days Steam supports delta patching, the way it works is that all of the files being modified are copied in their entirety to SteamApps\downloading and the existing files are replaced only when the updated ones are ready, which means that the actual free space required to install a patch is often much higher than the download itself. Like, yesterday I downloaded an ~86MB patch for Deus Ex: Human Revolution 2 - Why Didn't I Just Type Out Its Actual Name and Save Myself Some Finger Presses that required almost 30GB of free space to install -- a difference of roughly 34,500%. That has to be up there. I was actually impressed.

Speaking of patches, what I find interesting is, due to Steam's patching process, the difference between the download size and required free space. In case you're not familiar, while these days Steam supports delta patching, the way it works is that all of the files being modified are copied in their entirety to SteamApps\downloading and the existing files are replaced only when the updated ones are ready, which means that the actual free space required to install a patch is often much higher than the download itself. Like, yesterday I downloaded an ~86MB patch for Deus Ex: Human Revolution 2 - Why Didn't I Just Type Out Its Actual Name and Save Myself Some Finger Presses that required almost 30GB of free space to install -- a difference of roughly 34,500%. That has to be up there. I was actually impressed.

Wowser.

At least it doesn't lie about the download speed like Origin. That bothers me greatly.

Hektor

First impression for the yugioh port is good, except for the default control scheme

You skip dialogue with '3' and you pause the game with 'pause'.

I mean, in a way, the latter one makes sense but

There are many games that aren't "finishable" these days, and sometimes I like to go back and play something I played a while ago for a day or so, having it handy is preferable to downloading it again.

that Ubi30 site worked long enough for me to claim ACIII (I think)...still can't login to the client

edit: client finally worked and the game was there

Orcs Must Die Unchained servers came back up with the new Survival Update. I've been playing it and it feels like the original titles. I'm glad they scrapped the moba like mode.

giphyolsrx.gif

I've decided to play some PoP teh sands of time

wish i could disable that bloom tho

so blurry :<

Woah that actually looks better than I remember, the textures seem to hold up pretty well.

EDIT: Prince of Persia's textures, not David Bowies, even though his are good too.

Tellaerin

Yeah, and then there's those perpetual, never-ending games that will stay on my HDD forever, barring a new release in the franchise.

Stuff like Kerbal, Civ, CK/EU, Farm Sim & Euro Truck.

There's an argument to be made for a standing library.

In my case, it's stuff like the UT games (along with all the maps, mods, etc. I've installed for them), Skyrim (tons of mods and custom content I wouldn't want to have to redownload and try to configure again), and The Sims 3 (same deal with custom content). Some things are just not worth the headache of uninstalling and reinstalling if you ever intend to play them again.

There are some games that I beat and delete - all those hidden object games, for one. And there are some that I'll come back to over and over, like Dungeons of Dredmor and GemCraft, which I'll keep on my HD. But there are some that I've beaten but not 100%ed/got all the achievements, and I might want to go back to it (like Sleeping Dogs or Broken Age.) My download speed is a paltry 5 Mbps so I only delete when I'm pretty certain I'm done with it.

barber

All this talk about sales, new games (clearly launching now to prepare for price cuts during the winter sale) and the meh 30&#8364; humble bundle made me look if i had any game i hadn't given in my humble account yet, so:
One free Knights of Pen and Paper 2, a really nice rpg for the first one that sends me a pm (as i really dont know how to do the quote or the modbot thingie). I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
EDIT: I dont think the key contains the expansion: Here be dragons

rtcn63

Talking about keeping frequently replayed games installed- I reinstalled RE4 on my second SSD. Tried a NG+ run but like... the Matilda just eats bullets and it all makes you too overpowered. I could sell everything, but I'd still have a max health bar and oodles of cash. Hard not to want to upgrade weapons. Plus I like the RPD and Ashley costumes.

And it seems to maintain a stable 60fps, unlike on my old 670. That weird bug meant it was 30fps or nothing.

Oh, they really need to patch in volume options.

Has anyone managed to get a Nuclear Throne key for subbing to Vlambeer's Twitch channel? I've tried way too many times and still nothing.

I thought the SE mystery box had dropped for a moment there.

I will gladly rebuy all my digital Nintendo titles after they manage to crawl out of the ashes of their inevitable hardware failures and put them on the PC.

Popstar

Metamorphabet minimum PWYW price raised to 10¢. Hope they didn't have to pay out of their own pocket for processing fees from all the people who bought at a penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom