• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagamin

1brxYGv.jpg

Great news about Doom ditching Denuvo, even though I don't care about that particular game. But Deus Ex: MK is hopefully next up with doing this?

Monooboe

So how come games are removing denuvo? I mean sure they realize that it didn't really have an effect on sales but I also thought that denuvo was quite harmless? Haven't heard people having problems with it?

Started playing Deux Ex Mankind Divided and I was little suprised how much I wasn't feeling it at all at the begining but now couple of sidemissions in I'm loving it! Was also little weird going into it directly after Watch dogs 2, since it feels like playing the same game haha, using "hackervision" to look around and plan stuff, hack computers to shut down alarms, then stun guards and try and play every mission unseen.

Kaleinc

Banned
Great news about Doom ditching Denuvo, even though I don't care about that particular game. But Deus Ex: MK is hopefully next up with doing this?
The problem is when Adam Jensen was approached to discuss the option of removing denuvo he said 'I never asked for this' applied cloaking and vanished.

So how come games are removing denuvo? I mean sure they realize that it didn't really have an effect on sales but I also thought that denuvo was quite harmless? Haven't heard people having problems with it?

Started playing Deux Ex Mankind Divided and I was little suprised how much I wasn't feeling it at all at the begining but now couple of sidemissions in I'm loving it! Was also little weird going into it directly after Watch dogs 2, since it feels like playing the same game haha, using "hackervision" to look around and plan stuff, hack computers to shut down alarms, then stun guards and try and play every mission unseen.

Denuvo is being removed because it apparently costs the dev quite a lot of money, at least for AAA games.

There's also a rumour that the devs can request a refund for Denuvo if it's cracked within a certain period of time, but they have to remove it from their games if they do.

For Inside, it was completely pointless to keep it since it was cracked quickly, and would have become redudant as soon as they released the game on GOG anyway.

The problem is when Adam Jensen was approached to discuss the option of removing denuvo he said 'I never asked for this' applied cloaking and vanished.

At least he didn't pull out those built in spike thingys in his arms. ;)

Tizoc

Seems ghostlight ross has 4 projects planned for pc
Apparently one of them could be a psp ghostlight release but looming at their released titles on the psps they dbe releasing either
A) fate extra 1 which is now obselete due to its sequel
B) persona 1/2 psp, which wouldnt be a bad idea imo
C) some shovelware

Lain

Fate/Extra so with the sales they can grab Fate/Extra CCC and port/localize it! DO IT GHOSTLIGHT I BELIEVE IN YOU ROSS!

Monooboe

Denuvo is being removed because it apparently costs the dev quite a lot of money, at least for AAA games.

There's also a rumour that the devs can request a refund for Denuvo if it's cracked within a certain period of time, but they have to remove it from their games if they do.

For Inside, it was completely pointless to keep it since it was cracked quickly, and would have become redudant as soon as they released the game on GOG anyway.

Ah alright, it is of course awesome that more and more games go DRM free. Eventhough it usually doesn't impact me much there are cases, for example can't play The Saboteur on Origin because securerom gives me trouble. Would be awesome if GOG Connect started to include Origin games also.:D

Ozium

https://groupees.com/mavs

music bundle by the guys who did the soundtrack for Brigador, mid-tier features the game also for $10, which is about the lowest it's gone on steam..

if you have coins from older bundles you can use them.. some of them have gone up in value (like I have two 16 dollar coins, and one that's 14, and another that is about 7) but you don't get change back so why would you use them for cheapo bundles, and how often does groupees have expensive bundles?

I say this while thinking about using a 7 dollar coin and 1 dollar coin to pay 2 bucks for it but then I worry it will be in the humbly monthly lol

https://groupees.com/mavs

music bundle by the guys who did the soundtrack for Brigador, mid-tier features the game also for $10, which is about the lowest it's gone on steam..

if you have coins from older bundles you can use them.. some of them have gone up in value (like I have two 16 dollar coins, and one that's 14, and another that is about 7) but you don't get change back so why would you use them for cheapo bundles, and how often does groupees have expensive bundles?

I say this while thinking about using a 7 dollar coin and 1 dollar coin to pay 2 bucks for it but then I worry it will be in the humbly monthly lol

Just bought it with my $16 coin and threw in my -$1.12 Trump coin for good measure! Also using my Trump coin further devalues everyone elses Trump coins, a bit like real life.

Ozium

Just bought it with my $16 coin and threw in my -$1.12 Trump coin for good measure! Also using my Trump coin further devalues everyone elses Trump coins, a bit like real life.

nice lol I dunno what to do with that Trump coin

ohh is that how it works? and the fluctuating values of other coins go up as people spend them?

Wok

Man, I've been wanting to categorize my Steam games for years now, but I hate how the Steam library organizes games. I'd much prefer it if you had the full alphabetical list by default and could narrow it down by selecting different categories.

The system as it is just really messes with my pseudo-OCD.

I have also been waiting years for this. It's infuriating. I keep assuming valve will workout a system for it soon, but that day never comes

Depressurizer.

B5T2nLW.png

Anyone else run into a bug where if you go through your queue and click "Start another queue" on the empty discovery queue page, you get an error, but then if you go back to the main page, there's a new discover queue generated?

This might only occur if you've viewed almost everything and the new queue would only generate, say,, one title.

Yep, I've been experiencing this for a week or two now.

Refreshing the page, rather than hitting the 'Start another queue' button, seems to work without fail - otherwise I get the 'there was a problem saving your preferences. Please try again later' error.

Incidentally, what is your queue count up to these days, Stump? I'm just short of 11k, so you must nearer to 12k by now?

It happens all the time.

I think it is because there are games not available in my region. I remember the queue getting stuck if I did not mark as "following" some of the games which are not available in my region.
Then Steam was updated and I could remove the "following" tag from these games, without getting the queue being stuck.
Then I noticed this happened.

My process is the following:

0VaiCHA.png

*click click click*

PlAa93D.png

Oh let us try again.

ooRPcpL.png

The bug happens.

BHuwgQi.png

Use the top menu.

WWyzUJm.png

Repeat.

NAhstRm.png

nice lol I dunno what to do with that Trump coin

ohh is that how it works? and the fluctuating values of other coins go up as people spend them?

Yep as someone spends their coin, everyone elses goes up slightly, or in the case of the Trump one, down. Not all the coins vary in value only some like the Johnny Anti-matter one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so my Steam is broken... after the usual "steam need to restart for an update" shit I swre I get every day, now it wont start, it gets stuck on "Connecting Steam Account: X"

Ive rebooted and nothing. What do?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
so my Steam is broken... after the usual "steam need to restart for an update" shit I swre I get every day, now it wont start, it gets stuck on "Connecting Steam Account: X"

Maybe reinstalling Steam helps?

And wasnt there a file you could delete to "kill Steams cache", something .blob or so

Ah alright, it is of course awesome that more and more games go DRM free. Eventhough it usually doesn't impact me much there are cases, for example can't play The Saboteur on Origin because securerom gives me trouble. Would be awesome if GOG Connect started to include Origin games also.:D

That's just weird. If it's released on GOG DRM free, but sold with the outdated Securom on Origin, then EA are really being lazy, or don't have an organisation that cares enough about their own service.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
will that not delete all my downloads? >_>

honestly, I dont know :p

but you could just move the Steamapps folder out of the Steam install folder before uninstalling and move it back in after the new install... and before the first start... Steam should find the games then

Ozium

go into task manager and end any task relating to steam

then launch steam and see if it works

Hmm. Isn't that more or less what you want?

viXpzeC.png

Otherwise, if it is about tags, there is always this in your browser:

http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

No, what I want is, after I've personally categorized them, to start with a full alphabetical list of my Steam games, then bring down a drop-down menu of categories to narrow it down by.

EDIT: That appears to be closer to what I want, filtering. What I'd like is for something like that to be in Steam and customizable.

Wok

What I'd like is for something like that to be in Steam and customizable.

A tool for people who have defined their own customized tags/categories would be too nich for Valve to develop it. I don't expect to see that. It is much lazier and much more time-efficient to rely on crowd-based work with the tags seen on the Steam store and the website which I linked to.

Ozium

Depressurize auto-cat by genre pisses me off, because like really.. it shoves games into multiple categories, creates an "indie" category (what the fuck does this even mean?) and puts things into categories that aren't even applicable IMO..

for instance in Wok's picture, how is Influent a simulation? or The Magic Circle.. which is like a first person adventure game with meta commentary about game design. FTL and Rogue Galaxy are weird things to put into the simulation category as well IMO...

gelf

Happened to me too. There's an issue with the latest beta update it seems. I got back into Steam by deleting the "beta" file inside the package folder of my Steam installation. That opts you out of the beta, after that I could login again. No need to delete anything else.

Ozium

A tool for people who have defined their own customized tags/categories would be too nich for Valve to develop it. I don't expect to see that. It is much lazier and much more time-efficient to rely on crowd-based work with the tags seen on the Steam store and the website which I linked to.

all I ask for is subcategories that work like folders in any operating system ever invented

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Happened to me too. There's an issue with the latest beta update it seems. I got back into Steam by deleting the "beta" file inside the package folder of my Steam installation. That opts you out of the beta, after that I could login again. No need to delete anything else.

well too late now I reinstalled. The steamapps folder was actually left over on its own too, so I managed to just copy it back to the fresh install and it seems to work (at least ESO is running)

Pixieking

Banned
all I ask for is subcategories that work like folders in any operating system ever invented

Best I've been able to manage is a sort of sub-division:

hpeiLei.jpg

It's not fantastic, but it's surprisingly robust. Catagorised most things on the basis of store tags, but that breaks down occasionally... For example, Metamorphabet is in "Adventure - Investigation and VN", because I don't have an Education catagory, and I'm not creating one just for that one game.

Wok

Typically, Influent appears in several categories, it is not just in the "indie" category. The combo "tag + search bar" is what is being used everywhere these days.

xJKflGg.png

The tag system is superior to a tree structure for the purpose of filtering a library. I think the only reason we did not have this before is that you need some crowd-based tagging system, otherwise it is too much work.

Depressurize auto-cat by genre pisses me off, because like really.. it shoves games into multiple categories, creates an "indie" category (what the fuck does this even mean?) and puts things into categories that aren't even applicable IMO..

for instance in Wok's picture, how is Influent a simulation? or The Magic Circle.. which is like a first person adventure game with meta commentary about game design. FTL and Rogue Galaxy are weird things to put into the simulation category as well IMO...

Anyway, I think Steam should just drop the categorization altogether and provide a more potent tag-based library search similar to http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Most people won't take the time to categorize their library, and even if they do, they won't come up with fancy categories, it will be "Tower Defense", "Horror", etc.

All Valve needs to do is pay Lorenzo Stanco for his current work and put it under a Steam community tab. No time wasted for Valve, literally no difference in terms of annual revenue.

Ozium

Typically, Influent appears in several categories, it is not just in the "indie" category. The combo "tag + search bar" is what is being used everywhere these days.

xJKflGg.png

The tag system is superior to a tree structure for the purpose of filtering a library. I think the only reason we did not have this before is that you need some crowd-based tagging system, otherwise it is too much work.

Anyway, I think Steam should just drop the categorization altogether and provide a more potent tag-based library search similar to http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Most people won't take the time to categorize their library, and even if they do, they won't come up with fancy categories, it will be "Tower Defense", "Horror", etc.

All Valve needs to do is pay Lorenzo Stanco for his current work and put it under a Steam community tab.

there should be a Steam Workshop for categories and the possible games that occupy them

Volimar

So should I stay away from Seagate external hard drives? I keep hearing they have a bad failure rate. They so affordable though...

I liked it. The world they created I found compelling and I liked the opening phase of the game a lot.

It takes a while for the combat to get varied though I suppose. Much shorter than PoE too.

How short is it? I hate games with good ideas that end too early.

Hektor

Can soemone tell me how i'm supposed to get my Torment key fromt he wasteland 3 Crowd0x campaign.

Cos the only button i got there is "review my experience"

ModBot said:
Instructions for Hektor:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

How to survive -- MB-6AB0F22D0ABB2F89 - Taken by voodooray

How short is it? I hate games with good ideas that end too early.

It took me about 25 hours on my first playthrough but I read pretty much all of the text in the game. I would say an average playthrough without rushing would be about 20 hours, give or take. The ending is a bit abrupt too.

There are a number of branching paths in the game and I find it interesting enough to replay it and see the rest of the content, but a lot of it will still be a retread of the same areas etc.

Ludens

Banned
CH25M-6JQ32-9EJ3Q

Minion Masters.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Escapists DLC: Alcatraz -- MB-80B5B230C6D83721 - Taken by Catshade

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently timed exclusive features for owning a specific CPU are a thing now.

Single Player Horde Mode & Apocalyptic Mode

These are two game modes that we have not focused on previously.

Working with Intel allowed us to create even more content than we originally planned, including these modes and the physics systems in the game, making Arizona Sunshine one of the richest VR experiences possible. We want to give 5th, 6th and 7th gen Intel® Core™ i7 owners first glimpse into these additional modes, but they’ll be available March 6, 2017 to everyone who owns the game.

Single Player Horde Mode is as you would expect, a single player experience in Horde Mode.

Apocalyptic Mode is the highest level of difficulty in the campaign. Its features include:
• Only one weapon (handgun)
• Very limited ammo
• No checkpoints - you die and go back to the start of the game
• One hit death

Completing this is tied to an achievement that will result in an award of a golden desert eagle pistol for use in multiplayer and future apocalyptic sessions. The gun will be added in a future update.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/342180/discussions/0/152391285458876458/?ctp=2

Nzyme32

Apparently timed exclusive features for owning a specific CPU are a thing now.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/342180/discussions/0/152391285458876458/?ctp=2

Arizona Sunshine's history is absolutely disgusting.

Was meant to be a Vive launch title but then mysteriously went completely silent till returning as an Oculus Touch launch title (paid delay). Around the same time, there is a promo video to discuss the game, but instead it veers into what can only be described as a promo for Intel i7 processors. And now here we are with the game launching, but all issues of content with i7 requirement were hidden away and not on the store page.

Thankfully people got around it pretty quick, but this is definitely a game I wouldn't support out of principle

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member

Good to know, thanks. Can't believe that someone acutally thought that would be a good idea.

Arizona Sunshine's history is absolutely disgusting.

Was meant to be a Vive launch title but then mysteriously went completely silent till returning as an Oculus Touch launch title (paid delay). Around the same time, there is a promo video to discuss the game, but instead it veers into what can only be described as a promo for Intel i7 processors. And now here we are with the game launching, but all issues of content with i7 requirement were hidden away and not on the store page.

Thankfully people got around it pretty quick, but this is definitely a game I wouldn't support out of principle

Oculus, ugh. The Rift appears to be a solid VR headset but I don't want to support their business practices (+ Facebook + Palmer Luckey).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom