• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Played Shan Gui a bit, enough to get half of the archievments. Voices were pretty bad. They generally sound like recorded with a potato and the voice actor of main girl sounds extremely bland and unsure what the words mean she reads. Other girl is better, but still pretty bad. Really bothering me.

Knurek

So, Bethesda just removed some subscription options from Elder Scrolls Online.
F2P switch incoming? Followed by game being dropped of course...

MRORANGE

Awesome. Do you have or ever have an ipad? I have an Ipad 2 and was wondering how browsing the internet compares to it.

I have a 1st gen iPad mini which is inline with a ipad 2 and I find it works okay for web browsing, although chrome slows down a lot sometimes or gets stuck for a few seconds. I have a tablet from work it has a i5 so it's not really comparable but the atom in that OP should be better than the ipad due to the ram + flash

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do you guys think Square-Enix will ever bring the Dragon Quest series to Steam?

I think they probably know that there are people like me that would quadruple-dip (or whatever the word is for 5-dip) on all of them, so I would assume so. The Android ports are all excellent with the exception of VIII which is okay except they took the voice acting out of the game. The problem with bringing the Android ports to Steam would be that they use your device's portrait mode rather than landscape mode. For the 99% of us that don't have vertically positioned portrait mode monitors, it's going to either look terrible or require more work to port than they probably think it's worth. :(

I don't think so, since PC versions for those games don't already exist and I dopubt porting them would seem like a good investment to SE. I can maybe see them porting one of the mobile games as a test, but nothing more right now. The series isn't very popular in the west.

derExperte

Soon.

SFKLF7p.png

Lain

Maybe, though given the sales the series does in the west compared to FF I don't think it might happen anytime soon. Not that I'd cry should it never happen, given my general lack of interest and somewhat of a distaste for the series. I'd be more interested in them porting the SaGa and Mana series to PC (which is even more unlikely).

duplicates

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (VikasNarula, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Penguins Arena: Sedna's World -- MB-9370EAC494C8819F - Taken by Knurek
RIP - Trilogy -- MB-62D1EEEF3787402D- Taken by 7Sins

I think they probably know that there are people like me that would quadruple-dip (or whatever the word is for 5-dip) on all of them, so I would assume so. The Android ports are all excellent with the exception of VIII which is okay except they took the voice acting out of the game. The problem with bringing the Android ports to Steam would be that they use your device's portrait mode rather than landscape mode. For the 99% of us that don't have vertically positioned portrait mode monitors, it's going to either look terrible or require more work to port than they probably think it's worth. :(

IIRC quadruple is 4x and quintruple is 5x. *checks Google so as to avoid looking like a moran* Oh yay, Google agrees with me, go me!

Deques

I don't think so, since PC versions for those games don't already exist and I dopubt porting them would seem like a good investment to SE. I can maybe see them porting one of the mobile games as a test, but nothing more right now. The series isn't very popular in the west.

Some of the games are available for smartphones. They could port those to Pc, they already ported ff3 and ff4, weren't they commercially successful?

While we are semi on the subject, can you mix and match Xbox 360 and PS4 controllers? Controllers are expensive and I don't play local enough to to drop 40 on either of them, but if I can run both at the same time that would solve that problem.

While we are semi on the subject, can you mix and match Xbox 360 and PS4 controllers? Controllers are expensive and I don't play local enough to to drop 40 on either of them, but if I can run both at the same time that would solve that problem.

Yeah, you can mix and match any variety of controllers, just a few weeks ago I was playing Gang Beasts with 2 360, and 1 DS4.

Have a safe new year activities fellow asthmatic persons out there!
Thankfully the fireworks here already calmed down so just closing the windows is fine for me. Tomorrow though...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
IIRC quadruple is 4x and quintruple is 5x. *checks Google so as to avoid looking like a moran* Oh yay, Google agrees with me, go me!

:)

Alright then, I'd quintruple dip on the Dragon Quest games if they came to Steam.

Some of the games are available for smartphones. They could port those to Pc, they already ported ff3 and ff4, weren't they commercially successful?

If they ported it directly, it would end up looking like a lot of these portrait-mode shumps that have released recently. The Android and iOS versions force the device into portrait mode.

That's what I meant with "mobile games". :) I'm pretty sure FF3 and 4 were successful, but that doesn't mean DQ will be in the same way. I doubt porting the Android games over would take much, but then again I'm not sure if we want that :/. A proper port of DQ8 would be the only thing I'd really want from SE, but that will never ever happen.

EDIT: Look at thiiis

Monooboe

cheers_steamgaf_by_monooboe-d8bzv5q.jpg

Cheers SteamGAF and Happy New Year!:D

Warming up with a pre-party glass of wine and eating the last pieces of chocolate. (going on a extreme diet for the next year.)

I watched one of my protagonists in Trails in the Sky slap a little girl across the face. Fucking ice cold. But later on, she's still cheerful and acting as if she likes the guy. I mean, I may not be an expert on Japanese culture, but what the hell, Falcom?

Pranay

Happy New year GAF !

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pranay_:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pranay_, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine -- MB-D464BCBB4C796123 - Taken by NihonTiger90
Sonic 3D Blast -- MB-7F61CF3EB15F8A28 - Taken by Deques
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 -- MB-6BB9D6616C959F69 - Taken by itzknickknac
Sonic Spinball -- MB-88BDFA95B25380E4 - Taken by Naked Snake

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well DQ VIII is localized and on Android as noted a few posts behind, same with a few other DQ games, so I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Allow me to rephrase that:

Squeenix would never bother localizing Dragon Quest games on a platform that isn't iOS or Android as it wouldn't be profitable/the scripts would be too long to re-translate.

<-----

Well, I'd imagine if we got DQ on PC they would be Android to PC ports, much like FF IV, no re-translation needed.

What's there to re-translate from a already existing iOS/Android release?
Sooner or later they will run out of Final Fantasy games.

The scripts being too long to re-translate bit is a half-joking reference to this.

dani_dc

I'm pretty sure no one here wants the DQ8 phone version. It's ok for that platform but that's about it.

What downgrades did DQ8 see for Android?

Squeenix would never bother localizing Dragon Quest games on a platform that isn't iOS or Android as it wouldn't be profitable/the scripts would be too long to re-translate.

Well, I'd imagine if we got DQ on PC they would be Android to PC ports, much like FF IV, no re-translation needed.

Knurek

What's there to re-translate from a already existing iOS/Android release?
Sooner or later they will run out of Final Fantasy games.

What downgrades did DQ8 see for Android?

It's a port of the Japanese version, so no voice acting and synthesized music. Also classic Dragon Quest menus instead of the monstrosity Level 5 did with the US version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom