• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

Didn't even noticed AvP and Colonial Marines were removed from Steam. I already finished both last year and I believe AvP still looks good considering when it was released. As for the Colonial Marines it was a backstab for true fans of the Universe and it's a shame I didn't feel they captured the mood of the movies (I quite liked the very first ones. Oldies but goodies). I have Isolation on the console version but I haven't started yet. Stump made a great review of this game by the way.

Any reason why they were removed? I think it's a shame, with Isolation recently released I could see some people trying to get older Alien game for some good nostalgia or just to have another taste of the Universe.

Also, fun fact, both games have the same Achievement name for completing them.
Game Over, Man!

I wrote some very small impressions of AvP in the past, if someone is interested in reading it:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/10680/

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You all know about the Nuclear Throne "deal"?

Buy the game before January to get a giftable copy of it in January.

So, it's basically 50% off.

I'm thinking about grabbing it today.

Deques

You all know about the Nuclear Throne "deal"?

Buy the game before January to get a giftable copy of it in January.

So, it's basically 50% off.

I'm thinking about grabbing it today.
Just to clarify, you need to have the game in your library before January, not in the inventory

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any reason why they were removed? I think it's a shame, with Isolation recently released I could see some people trying to get older Alien game for some good nostalgia or just to have another taste of the Universe.

The only explanation that comes to mind is that Sega negotiated a partial refund on the cost of the licence, similar to what you see Acti do each year -- it kept Alien around for Isolation but gave up Aliens and Alien vs Predator.

how do I FORCE downloads in Steam?
I have started downloading games and patches but they have paused and says it will resume scheduled downloading at time xx:yy even though I have no such setting. Nothing happens when I press the priority arrow.

Have you tried restarting Steam just to make sure? I mean I know sometimes that's a stupid question, but let's get that one out of the way first. :)

tebunker

Banned
What do you do in the DLC, just hunting beasts all day with the dwarf?
Some mission progressions and new monsters to control and kill. You use Talion along with the Dwarf. I would have preferred to use the Dwarf the whole time.

Also the dlc has a full new set of Warchiefs and orcs and many of them are uniquely attuned to hunt beasts and deal with some of the things you want to accomplish in the dlc.

So it is a little bit cheap way to extend the dlc but at the same time it's cool because it is a highly themed type of dlc.

I got the seasons pass when I got the game for cheap and have enjoyed every aspect of it. I pad around $50 total so if you can beat that you should get your total $$ worth.

autoduelist

I still got 14 hours until 2015, what's the future like?

I've still got 2 hours until 14 hours left until 2015, what's the future like?

-------------------------

NEO Scavenger -

Played this last night.

My character awoke from cyrogen to find a post-apocalyptic world. I scavenged the first building I found and found jeans, a utility knife, and one sock. Moving on, I noticed a frail stray dog following me, drooling.

I made threatening gestures, but it was starving, and kept moving towards me, growling. It attacked, but missed, and I managed to slice it and it ran off.

The next day, I saw it in the distance again. I moved towards it, but it ran away.

I found it again, but this time it was significantly worse for wear. Its wounds and blood loss did it no favors -- it was having issues standing and constantly passing out.

Hungry, I moved in for the kill. I would have preferred a canine buddy, but it was clear that was never an option in this case. I put it out of its misery... and then realized I had no way to cook it.

So... I went to bed (in real life). What an... odd game. Super deep. Fairly atrocious interface. Though the way skills are implemented is fairly genius, and it's really nice to have such fine control over everything you do (you have a fairly long list of options for anything you do, with additional options if any of your chosen skills allow for alternatives).

Not sure I'll play again due to the interface... but it was definitely one of the more instantly immersive games I've ever played.

Lomax

You buy one, you get two.

Two for the price of one.

One for half the price.

50% discount.

That's just math, you can't go against math.

Sure, but the out of pocket expense is still full price, so you either have to go in with someone on spec, or be willing to front that cost with the assumption you'll sell the extra copy later. So a lot fewer people are going to be willing to jump on the "deal" than they would if it was just 50% off. Plus, all those copies will flood the market later when they are handed out, and chances seem good some people will sell them for even lower than half price.

The_Monk

The only explanation that comes to mind is that Sega negotiated a partial refund on the cost of the licence, similar to what you see Acti do each year -- it kept Alien around for Isolation but gave up Aliens and Alien vs Predator.

I'm going to guess that it would not be worth it for them to keep the license. That's a shame for those that did not played them, but I believe we can see them in the future on the Store, correct? It happened with some games like the Walking Dead one, if I'm not mistaken.

Damn, I both do and don't want to buy alien colonial marines for $5. Damn Sega for removing that game

Do yourself a favour and don't waste your $5 :).

I don't know if I've ever complained about this with a puzzle game, but am I the only one that finds Hexcells Plus and Infinite a little too difficult? I got through the first game without too many issues but the next two are pretty challenging and I don't think the difficulty curve is very natural or gradual. It ramps up quickly.

I don't know how it compares, exactly, but I beat every single puzzle in Picross and Picross 3D and never felt like I was out of it. Sometimes when I start a puzzle in Hexcells I feel like a complete dumb-ass.

Also, I wish they would patch in Infinite's save system into the first two games. It's a nice addition.

I agree with you 100%. Sini kindly gifted me all of the Hexcells games recently and I immediately fell in love with them. I finished Hexcells and immediately started Hexcells Plus. By the end of that [100% on both, all perfect] my brain felt like it had gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson at his ferocious best. I started Hexcells Infinite and quite quickly tapped out. What I struggle with in the game is trying to hold numerous possibilities in my head at the same time to methodically work out the next move. A bit like being overloaded with possible Chess move ramifications when I used to play it as a young'un. Still, I love the game and will gladly go back to Infinite at a later date after my brain has sufficiently recovered and feels up to another battering :).

Anyone want any of these vouchers for the Square-Enix store?

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 50% OFF
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris with Season Pass 33% OFF
FINAL FANTASY III 50% OFF

They expire tonight at 23:59 GMT (so about 8 hours from now)

just send me a PM.

These are tied to an account, I had to buy FFXIII-2 because not one but two gaffers couldn't buy the game

JaseC

I'm going to guess that it would not be worth it for them to keep the license. That's a shame for those that did not played them, but I believe we can see them in the future on the Store, correct? It happened with some games like the Walking Dead one, if I'm not mistaken.

The games will only come back if Sega gets its hands on the licences again. TWD: Survival Instinct being removed was apparently a mistake.

FoneBone

I bought Aliens Vs Predator from Nuuvem because it was removed from Steam.

What is wrong with me.

I actually bought it from Nuuvem before I knew it was going to be delisted. As a fan of the franchises, I'm pretty sure I can get $1.30's worth of enjoyment, even from a mediocre game.

autoduelist

So I had Steam install about 20 games (multi-select, right click, mult-install).

It seems to have installed them all just fine, but 6 of them require 'updates' and are labeled 'queued'. However, nothing seems to be actually at the front of the queue downloading, they're all just sort of in a holding pattern.

Does anyone know how to kick start this into action? Auto-update is on.

cicero

I actually bought it from Nuuvem before it was delisted. As a fan of the franchises, I'm pretty sure I can get $1.30's worth of enjoyment, even from a mediocre game.

Your avatar is such a happy looking horse. I want to spend an afternoon watching it waddle its way through a sun filled field of waving grass at a crisp 0.001 MPH gallop.

So I had Steam install about 20 games (multi-select, right click, mult-install).

It seems to have installed them all just fine, but 6 of them require 'updates' and are labeled 'queued'. However, nothing seems to be actually at the front of the queue downloading, they're all just sort of in a holding pattern.

I think if you click the icon on the right of the screen that starts it up.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
So, I'm getting ready to party.

Happy new year everyone and have some games! See you on the other side :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for The_Super_Inframan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

White Noise Online -- MB-359FEC4B3CD0A960 - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
Gorky 17 -- MB-CEF37A3769C144B9 - Taken by Cryptozoologist. 4 entrants total.
Avadon 2 The Corruption -- MB-90FE05008A15EE65 - Taken by Icelight. 6 entrants total.
Salammbo Battle for Carthage -- MB-7C36D34153DC881E - Taken by ThoughtsOfSpeaking. 1 entrants total.
Dungeons The Eye of Draconus -- MB-A6DEF64E8283FD27 - Taken by sensoft04. 4 entrants total.
Alpha Kimori Episode One -- MB-82F0B12CB8D72D5F - Taken by gaiadyne. 4 entrants total.
CONSORTIUM -- MB-BB1BD64840B36E72 - Taken by Sch1sm. 11 entrants total.
Skara The Blade Remains -- MB-4E99CA4DAAC82CB3 - Taken by agniswarm. 5 entrants total.
Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire -- MB-A939AB7CCBA7D870 - Taken by autoduelist. 5 entrants total.
Triblaster -- MB-C133D5932B318AA2 - Taken by Coppanuva. 2 entrants total.
Viscera Cleanup Detail Santa's Rampage -- MB-482CDA1768D6981D
Nostradamus The Last Prophecy -- MB-7C24D91829C89C65 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Quest of Dungeons -- MB-F43428D97C9666BB - Taken by chronomac. 5 entrants total.
Return to Mysterious Island 2 -- MB-670FFEF5059BD2C8 - Taken by tauke. 3 entrants total.
Amerzone The Explorer's Legacy -- MB-FCF11C567DFD7628 - Taken by Poetic.Injustice. 1 entrants total.
Memories of a Vagabond -- MB-551CCA7635442537 - Taken by Jørdan. 2 entrants total.

t1420054001z1.png

Have fun SteamGaf!

Grief.exe

Didn't even noticed AvP and Colonial Marines were removed from Steam. I already finished both last year and I believe AvP still looks good considering when it was released. As for the Colonial Marines it was a backstab for true fans of the Universe and it's a shame I didn't feel they captured the mood of the movies (I quite liked the very first ones. Oldies but goodies). I have Isolation on the console version but I haven't started yet. Stump made a great review of this game by the way.

Also, fun fact, both games have the same Achievement name for completing them.
Game Over, Man!

I wrote some very small impressions of AvP in the past, if someone is interested in reading it:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/10680/

At least AvP Classic is still up, would like to give that game a try at one point.

JaseC

Try running the games in question. Doing so should bring up an update progress window.

Panda Rin

Hope this key still works (got it like 2 months ago during the Goldenstick awards.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown -- MB-BD75879CC16EB5E3 - Taken by City 17

t1420044820z1.png

So I just tried to play Shovel Knight with my 360 controller and just realized that the D-pad is absolutely awful. Is there an easy way to play with a DS3 or DS4 that does not interfere with my PS4?

xezuru

So I just tried to play Shovel Knight with my 360 controller and just realized that the D-pad is absolutely awful. Is there an easy way to play with a DS3 or DS4 that does not interfere with my PS4?

For PS3 controllers I highly recommend, Xinput Wrapper

You can use this for PS4 controllers too but you need to do a little bit more a push for a work around.

Turfster

Indiegala store deals
  • Escape Dead island 50% off
  • Larva Mortus 80% off
  • Disciples II Rise of the Elves 80% off
  • Red Faction 60% off
  • Saints Row IV 50% off
  • Sine Mora 85% off
  • Painkiller Hell & Damnation 60% off
  • Dead Island Riptide 60% off
  • Chivalry 80% off
  • Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes 80% off
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2 75% off
  • Thunder Wolves 50% off
  • Teleglitch 75% off
  • Men of War 2 Assault Squad 75% off
  • Expedition Conquistador 50% off
  • Tropico 5 50% off
  • Deadly Premonition 90% off
  • WRC 4 75% off
  • MXGP 60% off
  • Shan Gui 66% off
  • Victoria Collection 75% off
  • Death to Spies 75% off
  • King's Bounty Collector's Pack 75% off
  • Scratches 75% off
  • Creavures 75% off
  • Commandos 80% off

dex3108

I am a bit late but Happy New Year JaseC and to other Aussie SteamGAF members :D I wish you many more Steam sales and games but before that i wish you all healthy and happy 2015. :D

denx

So can someone confirm US copies of FFXI are not region locked? I want to be 100% sure before I ask someone to buy the game for me (it doesn't show up in the South American store).

Oh yeah, happy new year you time travelling aussies!

Unicorn

Late answer but if someone can deal with a cable the X1 controller is a must even if more expensive.
My problem with it is that my micro USB cables keep failing. They last a week then can't make full contact connections. I then have to hold the cord with one hand along the back side of the controller to ensure that the cord is making contact within the port of the controller. Wish they'd just release a wireless adapter.

That would also easily allow multiple controllers for my one USB port Surface Pro 2, which is where I do all my "portable pm gaming."

Knurek

By the by, don't you just hate the 2D games that map character movement to the stick and don't let you remap it to the dpad?
I'm talking about you, Mark of the Ninja (and a lot of other games, come to think of it).

Pity DS4 doesn't have the Analog button from DS1/DS2... Oh well, DS4Windows has controller profiles for this reason, I imagine.

DS4Windows to use your DS4. I set mine up recently and it works for PC when connected via USB, but as soon as I disconnect it, it's back to a bluetooth controller for PS4, just how I like it. Replacing my Xbox One controller for PC, because if I use that wired, it no longer pairs with the xbox one until I plug it in over there first.

I also have a controller question - complete and total Steam noob and Mac user here.

I have Super Meat Boy. Apparently it has full controller support. I have one of those Buffalo USB reproduction SNES controllers. I don't see an option to turn on the controller in the game's menus. Do I need to do something outside the game? Will a generic USB controller even work for this game - and if not, how do I tell that before buying?

Unicorn

By the by, don't you just hate the 2D games that map character movement to the stick and don't let you remap it to the dpad?
I'm talking about you, Mark of the Ninja (and a lot of other games, come to think of it).

Pity DS4 doesn't have the Analog button from DS1/DS2... Oh well, DS4Windows has controller profiles for this reason, I imagine.
I feel that is forgivable since MotN isn't so much about precise platforming given the constant ability to slow down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom