• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Well to be fair I'm used to trying to decipher handwriting that is closer to hieroglyphics than english.
That and if you click on the vert ad the page it takes you to says Mystery Midweek

I was actually hoping you would point out the irony of me posting a Sherlock Homeboy image that was so small it should have required a magnifying glass. Damn your stunning visual acuity!

Edit: Holy shit, that awkward moment when you notice you have chrome set to 90% zoom, and the image was actually perfectly legible..... /facepalm

I'd wait for 3xx series to come out. Though I know your gaming on a laptop. Are you moving to desktop?
Yep I am on a '07 model laptop. It stopped showing its age some time ago and already is at the point of becoming a retro machine ;)
At first I was planning to get a desktop in last fall/winter but stuff happened and my plans fell in the water.
After that I had to postpone to winter '15 but suddenly my family is basically forcing me to get a new PC. I usually never buy anything for myself and a PC is therefore a ridiculous investment which I since 670 always cancelled at the last time. So now my family wants to get me a PC. Any idea when 3xx AMD will release?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2015-02-10_21-43-32.jpg

2015-02-10_21-44-03.jpg

2015-02-10_21-44-23.jpg

Monooboe

Haha that BTA on the Star Wars bundle really insane as you've been saying. Also it's probably one of the few that was a no brainer full price for me, since I didn't own any of the games and most of them if not all are actually very much worth playing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But it isn't the most recent 48 hours, the most recent 24 hours is missing. It's showing 72 to 24 hours ago for whatever reason and not showing today and a few hours of yesterday

Yep, even though the stats page says it's been updated, it hasn't actually been updated.

Which is probably why all of the subsequent stats are not correct.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But it isn't the most recent 48 hours, the most recent 24 hours is missing. It's showing 72 to 24 hours ago for whatever reason and not showing today and a few hours of yesterday

Ah, I didn't even notice the graph stalled, haha.

Good thing my retailer accepted my returned card and gave me a full refund. I'm rocking a GTS 250 at the moment. If a game struggles to run I'll just set a cinematic resution of 1920x800.

Dr Dogg

Ass and roids cobbled together in the same word and not even a piles reference? For shame Fork.

Well. It's only 6 weeks into the year, so I think you're fucked for the rest of the year dude.

What are you 'planning' on picking up the rest of the year?

I was fucked before I started to be honest. Still when Lightning Returns, AC Victory, Zelda U drop I don't have to be insufferable and I may as well throw some money at Shadowrun Hong Kong now.

I was actually hoping you would point out the irony of me posting a Sherlock Homeboy image that was so small it should have required a magnifying glass. Damn your stunning visual acuity!

Edit: Holy shit, that awkward moment when you notice you have chrome set to 90% zoom, and the image was actually perfectly legible..... /facepalm

Hahaha well it isn't that legible but then I'm sat in front of a 27" monitor.

April-ish if the vague tweets from AMD are to be believed. I just asked Charlie from Semiaccurate on Twitter. Don't know if he'll respond or not.
That is not that far off! Is this years Nvidia GPU gonna be the big milestone some have been waiting for? I read that AMD has some new tech with the 3xx series. Some new form of RAM afair.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I was fucked before I started to be honest. Still when Lightning Returns, AC Victory, Zelda U drop I don't have to be insufferable and I may as well throw some money at Shadowrun Hong Kong now.

you are weak ... so weak ;)

Good thing my retailer accepted my returned card and gave me a full refund. I'm rocking a GTS 250 at the moment. If a game struggles to run I'll just set a cinematic resution of 1920x800.
1920*800? What?
That is not that far off! Is this years Nvidia GPU gonna be the big milestone some have been waiting for? I read that AMD has some new tech with the 3xx series. Some new form of RAM afair.
NV's new release is going to be in Q3 or Q4, right now I already have half of a card saved.

Nvidia will probably launch Big Maxwell this year, what people are waiting for is Pascal next year and Volta later. AMD will debut HBM with the 390 and 390X this year. Stacked DRAM.

Kaleinc

Banned
Huhhhhhhh? But they advertised as 4GB GPU?! So they say they won't bother fixing it and the only option is to have a 970 with 3,5GB? Is that a problem across all companies or are there some vendors whose 970s actually use all 4GB?

This is disappointing. I wanted to get a Nvdia card for shadowplay and usually better performance with games.

Can anyone recommend a similar AMD GPU?
970 will run out of raw horse power much faster than out of ram. Rarely used stuff being dumped from vram to system memory is as old as dinosaurs - without performance issues. Look through benchmarks and see for yourself.

Nvidia will probably launch Big Maxwell this year, what people are waiting for is Pascal next year and Volta later. AMD will debut HBM with the 390 and 390X this year. Stacked DRAM.
I thought 970/980 are already Maxwell? Did they cut some features or what will be the big advantage of this years Maxwell then?
Also what is HBM and what are its advantages?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You may experience some brief ModBot connectivity issues over the next little while. I'm getting a lot of dropped packets trying to contact the server. Not sure if it's a datacenter issue or a server issue, but I can't connect to confirm.

Update: ModBot is definitely down right now. Following up with the company hosting it.

Megauap

Just received my AERENA - Masters Edition key. Thanks Steam community for the heads up the other day ;)

Also...
moar cards to idle!!!!

I thought 970/980 are already Maxwell? Did they cut some features or what will be the big advantage of this years Maxwell then?

They are Maxwell, only the mid-range chip. Nvidia has done this previously with Kepler, where the 680 class cards were the mid-range chips, then next year came the Titan and 780Ti which were the fully unlocked Kepler chips.

High Bandwidth Memory. It'll offer higher bandwidth with less power usage and will have bigger memory density, but first gen HBM will be 4GB max.

Phawx

HBM (High Bandwidth Memory) via stacked ram is what the 390 and 390x will run on. No one has any solid info if 390 or 390x will be on 20nm or 28nm. AMD has already said they will be going to 20nm for 2015 products. But that could mean a lot of things. Like APUs or SoCs.

Though one can be sure that 390 and 390x will have oodles of VRAM.

Maxwell was originally supposed to be a 20nm part but foundries are having real problems going < 28nm (cheaply). HBM offers faster throughput than GDDR5, greater capacity per package and much lower power usage.

zychi

Banned
Any Evolve deals for under $30 yet? Game looks fun with some good teammates, but I'm not paying $60+ for the game.

I don't like using those grey market sites, but I think I'd be willing to give it a try for a $30 price on this game.

Update: ModBot is definitely down right now. Following up with the company hosting it.

q9njg40.gif

Any Evolve deals for under $30 yet? Game looks fun with some good teammates, but I'm not paying $60+ for the game.

I don't like using those grey market sites, but I think I'd be willing to give it a try for a $30 price on this game.

You mean you aren't willing to pay $120 for it?
try isthereanydeal.com

Dr Dogg

Darkest Dungeon + Surface Pro with touch input = Soooooo Good!!!

Bit wonkey when you need keyboard controls or a right mouse click but that doesn't seem that often so far.

Though one can be sure that 390 and 390x will have oodles of VRAM.

First gen HBM is reportedly maxed at 4GB.

Agreed. But we shall see.

Multiple sites are reporting it. TSMC is having problems with 20nm, but they'll have it for mobiles and such, but not for GPUs. Meanwhile AMD switched to Global Foundries. Next year both TSMC and GloFo will be able to offer 16nm to the GPU guys, though in the case of GloFo they're talking about 14nm even since they have that collab with Samsung.

KarmaCow

Is there any way to use a PS4 controller with DS4Windows but not have games recognize it as a 360 controller? I would be nice to play Transistor with PS4 buttons but I also value battery life and the constant blue light when connecting without DS4Windows is annoying.

iosefe

Is there any way to use a PS4 controller with DS4Windows but not have games recognize it as a 360 controller? I would be nice to play Transistor with PS4 buttons but I also value battery life and the constant blue light when connecting without DS4Windows is annoying.

you could just turn off the DS4Windows service and turn it back on when done. otherwise, i think unchecking hide DS4 has a similar effect, though i think that takes double input

Phawx

Multiple sites are reporting it.

I agree that the logic makes sense to stick to 28nm for financial reasons. But multiple sites reporting on it doesn't mean much to me. Especially when only one of the sites reports on it and the others just repost.

this guy tried to get onto companys internal vpn. turns out it was open to everyone without any security. same with their p4 which you could login as a guest with no password. literally everything valve has done was there and open to everyone. he had access to the p4 for few days and constantly teased stuff (like l4d3 npcs and such). he probably knows lots of stuff but cant talk because valve.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1446236&p=47114380&viewfull=1#post47114380

hah, so that's how he did it

Nabs

Try this: Uncheck "Hide DS4" in the general Settings tab. Then make a profile specifically for Transistor with the option "Use Dinput only" checked off.

KarmaCow

you could just turn off the DS4Windows service and turn it back on when done. otherwise, i think unchecking hide DS4 has a similar effect, though i think that takes double input

Turning off DS4Windows will just disconnect the controller and the hide DS4 option doesn't seem to do anything in Transistor's case.

Try this: Uncheck "Hide DS4" in the general Settings tab. Then make a profile specifically for Transistor with the option "Use Dinput only" checked off.

I assume by checked off you mean having the box checked but either way I can't get it to work. Using that option just makes the DS4 not work in-game for some reason. Funnily enough the touchpad still works as a mouse in-game but the buttons do nothing. I probably missed something but I need to let the controller charge first.

Sometimes Hide DS3 doesn't work, the logs will say something along the lines of Exclusive mode unable to be used or failed or something, which means something is using the DS4 so they can't stop it and use the direct driver and that program using the DS4 needs to be closed before using Hide DS4. DS4 works fine with me in DS2 only when I do Hide, and works with every controller supported game i've tried switching between those two modes.

I'll try again, closing DS4Windows first after the controller finishes charging.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Looks like pressing the "Stop" button on the J2K version of DS4Windows works for this since my lightbar didn't turn back on.
nrVZntll.jpg

xezuru

Turning off DS4Windows will just disconnect the controller and the hide DS4 option doesn't seem to do anything in Transistor's case.

Sometimes Hide DS3 doesn't work, the logs will say something along the lines of Exclusive mode unable to be used or failed or something, which means something is using the DS4 so they can't stop it and use the direct driver and that program using the DS4 needs to be closed before using Hide DS4. DS4 works fine with me in DS2 only when I do Hide, and works with every controller supported game i've tried switching between those two modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom