• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Good thing that Evolve map packs will always be free for everyone then :)
that's a good move, tho i dunno about character classes and shit, right?

it's funny cos i play league of legends which is a game that very much gates players out of enjoying it so they spend money on it or dedicate it countless hours (i've done the latter) and i'm not saying it's not a problem in it, but i think it's double the problem when you have a $60 barrier of entry

like i would've totally spent money on cosmetics if titanfall was free

Sarcasm

Beat Mafia! Game is great once you get past the opening scene mission thingy.

beatitz9bot.png

Also is there restriction on using TF2 keys when you buy them from the steam store?

Beat Mafia! Game is great once you get past the opening scene mission thingy.

Also is there restriction on using TF2 keys when you buy them from the steam store?

One of my biggest Steam regrets is not buying Mafia when it was available on the store. Wish it would come back one day.

Miguel81

Shame about Alien Iso underperforming. That game is great as a survival horror, but I guess that's considered a rather niche(?) genre these days.

rookiejet

I totally get that. Time is the more burdensome investment for me. Like, I have access to a few (paid-for or /truly/ f2p) games that I could spend time learning, and that I'm interested in, but I am already invested in other games. Additionally, I don't often enjoy the /very beginning/ learning period of a game, which is usually more protracted in competitive games (like, you flounder terribly for a looong time before you even get up to the level of butt cheeks most of the time, lol). I often find that very initial awkward flailing period unenjoyable, so a game has to really grab me before I consider investing further time in it rather than spending that time with something else that I already have a level of familiarity with and enjoy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Isolation underperforming has nothing to do with its five-platform spread. Work on the game began back when Viking went gold, in early 2008, meaning it was in development for over six years.

zkylon

zkylewd
I totally get that. Time is the more burdensome investment for me. Like, I have access to a few (paid-for or /truly/ f2p) games that I could spend time learning, and that I'm interested in, but I am already invested in other games. Additionally, I don't often enjoy the /very beginning/ learning period of a game, which is usually more protracted in competitive games (like, you flounder terribly for a looong time before you even get up to the level of butt cheeks most of the time, lol). I often find that very initial awkward flailing period unenjoyable, so a game has to really grab me before I consider investing further time in it rather than spending that time with something else that I already have a level of familiarity with and enjoy.
yeah, time is definitely a factor and it's another problem for me

so if i see a game like evolve and i know i have to pay to even play it and then play a whole bunch to feel like i have access to a good amount of things is immediately discouraging

so tbh i really have a hard time seeing any game managing to interest me long enough for me to dedicate it enough time for the grind to stop being an issue (basically where i'm at in league) or to warrant me actually spending money on it

so the casualer the game is the better for me for multiplayer games. really low barrier of entry is what i'm looking for

Isolation underperforming has nothing to do with its five-platform spread. Work on the game began back when Viking went gold, in early 2008, meaning it was in development for over six years.
i wouldn't say nothing. multi-platform development and testing is hell

but you probably nailed the main culprit

6 years development is hardly gonna be recouped

Arthea

I would have entered that KR0 giveaway... but it's over, so let's move onto out GOTY.
That dot says so much to me, but it still preferable to expand some, no? (><)

edited: I remember some moody people are into roguelitelikes here, there is one as daily deal at indiegamestand today -
Ruins of Endoth

That SteamGAF GOTY tease...
(if you zoom in on the dot, you should be able to just make out 'Trails' in there)
ohyou.jpg

yup, definitely!

btw, what's fat thursday?

JaseC

i wouldn't say nothing. multi-platform development and testing is hell

I'm saying the issue isn't that it averaged out to ~300k per platform but rather that it wasn't profitable overall. It's been known to publishers since at least Watch Dogs that last-gen versions of multiplatform, current-gen games can't be expected to sell particularly well.

Knurek

I would have entered that KR0 giveaway... but it's over, so let's move onto out GOTY.
That dot says so much to me, but it still preferable to expand some, no? (><)
btw, what's fat thursday?

It's obviously a Shining Pom. No other explanation comes to mind.

Fat Thursday is the day everyone in Poland stuffs themselves half dead with paczki (donuts with jam/marmalade/advocat filling and way better dough).

I'm saying the issue isn't that it averaged out to ~300k per platform but rather that it wasn't profitable overall. It's been known to publishers since at least Watch Dogs that last-gen versions of games can't be expected to sell particularly well.

Under-performing doesn't necessarily mean the game wasn't profitable. It just didn't make as much as someone from marketing guessed it would.

JaseC

Under-performing doesn't necessarily mean the game wasn't profitable. It just didn't make as much as someone from marketing guessed it would.

Yeah, but 6.5 years worth of development is a lot of paid salaries to recoup (granted, it wasn't 6.5 years of "full-time" development) , especially considering that the majority of those 1.7m copies would have almost certainly been physical.

Miguel81

Been playing through Double Dragon Neon. The soundtrack is definitely some rad 80s fierceness. The controls aren't what I was expecting(a bit too heavy). Normal Mode is the only choice you have for starting, and it's been a bit of a challenge getting accustomed to the gameplay. There are a lot of cassettes/perks to pick up, and I've been sticking to the spin kick move and the fireball. I wonder how much my ass will be kicked when I finally do get to Double Dragon difficulty?

Oh, and the visuals are bright and pleasing enough to the eyes. The character sprite from Double Dragon II(NES/Famicom) on the stage select screen is nostalgic as all hell. Maybe I'll give co-op ago when I get sufficiently good enough to hold my own.

Arthea

Actually I agree with Sega on this one, 1.7 mln for a multiplatform game of famous franchise doesn't look like much, and I doubt they made much of profit if at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm saying the issue isn't that it averaged out to ~300k per platform but rather that it wasn't profitable overall. It's been known to publishers since at least Watch Dogs that last-gen versions of multiplatform, current-gen games can't be expected to sell particularly well.
your avatar makes everything you say sound so severe, jeez

i wasn't saying 300k per platform was an issue myself, only that the budget probably got inflated by being on so many platforms

milena87

Actually I agree with Sega on this one, 1.7 mln for a multiplatform game of famous franchise doesn't look like much, and I doubt they made much of profit if at all.

Yep, I thought it did better. I understand not selling much at first, considering the disaster that was Colonial Marines (my brother still has the CE for Xbox 360, but he doesn't want to speak about it), but the comments after launch were great.

Hopefully it'll have some legs and will keep selling in the long run. I don't want to see the IP die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom