• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBladeM6x

The Order has tainted every thread on this forum. Why is it getting so much attention (from both sides)?

Because people's favorite news outlets and internet personalities won't stop talking about it. That, and it's entertaining for those apathetic to the whole thing, like myself. Lol

Lomax

Reviews are most compared to grades, due to the fact that several major sites based their scores on component reviews back in the day. So they'd 'total up' to a spot where the 'average' would often be 70%, like a C-grade. 80% is a B, above average, and 90% is an A, which is exemplary.

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to comprehend.

Not only that, but it's always been that way, you could point to plenty of reviews from the 90s that were just as slanted as now. Video games were a "kid" thing, and the scales "kids" know are grades, it made perfect sense to develop that way. It really hasn't changed that much. There has certainly never been a time where 70-75 was considered "very good to great," at least not in the US. At best it was consider to have "niche appeal."

Sure, it's a shame over time it hasn't evolved to being more like movies on a 1-4 star scale, but honestly, any subjective review is going to be problematic. Lots and lots of sites write really good reviews to go with their scores, so anyone who thinks there isn't enough good information out there now just isn't paying attention.

Wurdfurd

Couple extras from Humble Bundle

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Wurdfurd, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hitman: Absolution -- MB-27915CD8810D9434 - Taken by RS4-. 4 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Directors Cut -- MB-1D7C03978A1E6601 - Taken by TheAutomator. 8 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Thief -- MB-1650B72026E97881 - Taken by Kifimbo. 15 entrants total.

t1424214595z1.png

Turfster

David keys now available for IR Debut 12 buyers

InideGameStand is having a 50% off Digital Eel games (Brainpipe, Infinite Space III, Weird Worlds, Data Jammers)

Gamersgate has NSUNS3FB 75% off

MattyG

Banned
I know almost everyone hated Homefront, but I really liked it for some reason. Glad it's on sale finally so I can play it again
and probably finally realize how bad it really is.

The Order review thread is already a shitstorm and gave us this little gem:
qVbUArb.gif

I own a PS4 and am excited for The Order, but goddamn son.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Pakkidis, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Pakkidis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hitman: Absolution -- MB-2EAA130B04EC8AFE - Taken by Miniboss. 16 entrants total.
Supreme Commander 2 -- MB-2D88305100C002D1 - Taken by darkchewie. 15 entrants total.

t1424217895z1.png

Teggy

Exactly.

DIAS is "do it again stupid" game design where you have to do things exactly how the designer wants you to, or you die and have to start over again.

I don't recall a lot of trial and error in the game, in fact the game allows you to kill people or sneak by and rewards you differently according to three separate categories.

This one example of a beam you can't go back through - it's one example in the beginning of the game. Once you get into the main city there isn't anywhere you can't go. It's kind of a minor thing to get hung up on. You can even go back into previous mission areas. And sure, the missions require you to go down certain paths to meet certain goals, but so did the original Thief game.

I just think people are very hard on this game because it's not exactly the same as Thief TDP. I had a lot of fun with it and I think other people can too.

Some extras after purchasing the classics bundle at Amazon, enjoy.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (darkchewie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sega Genesis Classics Series 2 -- MB-2A6D8438155B1A4A - Taken by billmcdougal. 8 entrants total.
Sega Genesis Classics Series 1 -- MB-A8193D297E40499D - Taken by WinterDemons. 11 entrants total.

t1424226055z1.png

Turfster

I don't recall a lot of trial and error in the game, in fact the game allows you to kill people or sneak by and rewards you differently according to three separate categories.
I was mainly thinking of the time where you
suddenly have to run from dogs in the architect's place
, which lasts half a minute but you need to do it exactly the way they want you to.

This one example of a beam you can't go back through - it's one example in the beginning of the game. Once you get into the main city there isn't anywhere you can't go. It's kind of a minor thing to get hung up on.
One example?
The game is full of this bullshit that has no place in a Thief game.
Some missions even have 2 or 3 of them, which get incredibly annoying and "well fuck you too then, game" if you're going for completeness.

Teggy

One example?
The game is full of this bullshit that has no place in a Thief game.
Some missions even have 2 or 3 of them, which get incredibly annoying and "well fuck you too then, game" if you're going for completeness.

See, it keeps coming back to this. It's very much like people who don't care for Tomb Raider 2013 because it's different than old Tomb Raider. In both cases I happen to like both games in their own way.

Turfster

See, it keeps coming back to this. It's very much like people who don't care for Tomb Raider 2013 because it's different than old Tomb Raider. In both cases I happen to like both games in their own way.

If you have a "get all the X in the level" stat and then actively block people from going back for the ones they might have missed, you're an asshole designer and don't get a twinkie.

gabbo

I'd say the timeline is a bit generous, but is essentially true when i think back to old PCGamer/PCXL 'GOYT Award' issues, but then there wasn't any metacritic-style aggregations to solidify that "anything less than an 8 was utter and complete shit". mentality. Of course, even now, if the game is widely hyped, an 8 might be the biggest insult (CGW/GFW and Crysis) for some reason.

Teggy

If you have a "get all the X in the level" stat and then actively block people from going back for the ones they might have missed, you're an asshole designer and don't get a twinkie.

They allow you to go back and play the level at any time to get what you missed.

I get it, you don't like the game. I just want people to know that they might like it.

BTW, I do agree that the final boss fight is dumb.

JakeD

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (JakeD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

hitman absolution -- MB-B2593DA8E72915FA - Taken by Widdly Scuds

:)

rrvv

first time using modbot tell me if there is problem

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (rrvv, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut -- MB-B823A196BD8D454A - Taken by nightstorm

Kifimbo

With the soundtrack.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kifimbo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Soundodger Plus -- MB-06434CAB589E1BBD - Taken by Casimir

Giveaway train? Hopping on. :p
ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Quest for Infamy -- MB-57840BE432DB6517 - Taken by electroflame

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
ooooh ... a 5.2GB patch for Morrrrrrdorrrrrrr :)

New Features:
  • Bright Lord DLC support added. (Note: Bright Lord DLC requires slightly higher system specs than Main Game Campaign. If you’re noticing a loss in performance, please lower system settings.)

Continued PC Improvements:
Stability:
  • Fixed rare crash encountered when going into Skills Menu.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur if blood failed to render.
  • Fixed issue where game would crash after a video card driver crash.
  • Fixed crash related to physics.

Performance:
  • Improved rendering on domination FX to improve framerate.

Save/Load:
  • Fixed issue where users save progress could be lost after watching benchmark to completion.

UI:
  • Added ability to skip Splash Screens after first launch.

General:
  • Steam Achievements not being awarded properly. (Issue 1: Occasionally Achievement wasn’t awarded even though game criteria satisfied. Game now verifies again whether Achievement criteria has already been met and will re-pop. In some cases, it may be required to perform unlock a 2nd time. Issue 2: Some Achievements weren’t being awarded in Challenge Mode even though they should have. This issue should now be resolved.)
  • Fixed issue where player would lose Orc Hunter Rune when restarting Lord of the Hunt DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom