• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

There Came An Echo really needs a "restart last checkpoint" and not just "restart mission" option.
Or, alternatively, just not have this damn mission =p

I don't know who she is. But she is mad cute... omg... <3
Alison Brie.
You're not doing a very good job.
britta1p6lo8.gif

jediyoshi

Also this Neweggs for Life is Strange is pretty great. What are the chances we'll get the same price during Summer Sale? or lower.

Definitely not. The low price there is on account of Newegg's own discount code being able to be stacked twice because it's going over two separate orders, both of which got their own discounts because there's a blanket SE sale going on.

Chariot

I think they should leave it where it ended. For obvious reasons.
She isn't dead. Alice and Luther are still kicking and closer than ever. I would love for them to working together a whole season with Luther fully utilizing Alice skills and her respecting the lives of innocents. What they need is a Hannibal Lecter like killer, someone who is like Alice, but bigger and more dangerous.

Hinomura

A few spares!
ModBot said:
Instructions for Hinomura:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Betrayer #2 -- MB-0310F7159E394F3F - Taken by SilentMatthew. 2 entrants total.
Overcast Walden and the Werewolf -- MB-4EA491A627918DE2 - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
Rhiannon curse of the four branches -- MB-4A4A2B35AD08ED3F - Taken by Blu(e). 1 entrants total.
Realms of the Haunting -- MB-EC174A7F2648BBFA
Mind path to Thalamus -- MB-7E93C350C9AE0A95 - Taken by redlacs. 8 entrants total.
Enemy Mind -- MB-D503944E904684F7 - Taken by Chreznor. 2 entrants total.
Dungeons The Eye of Draconus -- MB-5C4E29C41A9CF656 - Taken by agniswarm. 2 entrants total.
Betrayer -- MB-7AE45263FE12B385 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Towers of Altrac Epic Defense Battles (Desura) -- MB-FC215FF738F057C2 - Taken by Jason Frost
Skyborn -- MB-21F739540C153BE2 - Taken by XDDX. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Chester (Desura) -- MB-72F7964F68C04A8D - Taken by Jason Frost
Ballpoint universe -- MB-9111AFB197828237
Steel steam -- MB-96ED9C9F07301770
Depth Hunter 2 Deep Dive -- MB-A6A15CB2F77EAD29
Murder miners -- MB-70DF364245C012DA - Taken by titch. 1 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality #2 -- MB-9BABF2BCD34559AD
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-A484BA0BE544FB01 - Taken by Arthea
Megabyte Punch -- MB-734D5090CF574707 - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-783B25968DCD1071 - Taken by auroragoryalice. 2 entrants total.
Crunch Time! -- MB-90D5D6256299BF5C - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.
Depth hunter 2 deep dive -- MB-1FF43BB1E24C14F6
Plain Sight -- MB-A30C7CA97C3BAEAC - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
Doorways the underworld -- MB-A845FB0A9E20C90C - Taken by chronomac. 1 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-197D18DED260BDDB - Taken by Tesseract. 4 entrants total.
Skyborn #2 -- MB-A202D841EBB9E395 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.

t1424835308z1.png

rtcn63

I recently started watching The Inside (2005), and the actor who plays Finch shows up as a serial killer who profiles potential killers, and executes them using the weapons they were planning on using on *their* victims. So like, a prequel to Person of Interest. The actress who plays his beau (aka quirky from The Good Wife) is even in the episode.

He also portrays a brilliant psychopath who murdered multiple women, was convicted and sent to a mental institution in The Practice. He tricks his nurse into hiring one of the firm's lawyers to get him off, by convincing her that he only took credit for the crimes, but didn't commit them. (Which the lawyer figures out to be untrue right after giving her closing arguments)

Chariot

Wow, THIS IS MOTHER 4 ON PC. Shame it's unofficial lol.
Man, what is the feeling in my pants?

I recently started watching The Inside (2005), and the actor who plays Finch shows up as a serial killer who profiles potential killers, and executes them using the weapons they were planning on using on *their* victims. So like, a prequel to Person of Interest. The actress who plays his wife (aka quirky from The Good Wife) is even in the episode.

He also portrays a brilliant psychopath who murdered multiple women, was convicted and sent to a mental institution in The Practice. He tricks his nurse into hiring one of the firm's lawyers to get him off, by convincing her that he only took credit for the crimes, but didn't commit them. (Which the lawyer figures out to be untrue right after giving her closing arguments)
Sounds incredible interesting. Tell me if it's still good after you finished, I still have 43 episodes of Yae no Sakura to watch anyways. :D

btw fun fact: The woman who plays his wife in Person of Interest is actually Michael Emerson's real life wife ;)

derExperte

So I order the disc from Amazon for my new pc, and I just choose which version to install? I need the disc for a fresh pc I'm building.

For windows 8.1.

The disc is either 32 or 64 but you could download an iso if they send you the wrong one. Or just buy the key.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow, THIS IS MOTHER 4 ON PC. Shame it's unofficial lol.

I was sad when this got delayed. It looks like they're hoping it'll be out in June. Hopefully Nintendo won't make them stop before it's released. This is one game I'm actually looking forward to adding as a non-Steam shortcut.

Jawmuncher

Am I crazy or was/is there a visual novel community on steam? Can't find it but just wanted to ask a question. What is the genre for the ones that are supposed to make you feel like shit? I wanna play some of those. No good ends here, everything bad. At best empty rewards.

Am I crazy or was/is there a visual novel community on steam? Can't find it but just wanted to ask a question. What is the genre for the ones that are supposed to make you feel like shit? I wanna play some of those. No good ends here, everything bad. At best empty rewards.

Usually nukige might offer those, but not always. There is a VNDb and you can try to look for tags there. IIRC there was a bad end tag and similar ones.

Chariot

Play Saya no Uta. Three different endings, all bad. Just different kinds of bad.

Not quality bad, mood bad.

Deitus

According to TV Tropes, it's called Utsuge, which translates to "depressing game". Not sure if that's a widely used term or not. There's also Naikige, which means "crying game", but supposedly those have good ends.

Fuck it, I did it again... After my last horrendous attempt at Civ 5, I decided to try Endless Legend. It was worse. In the two games I played I felt seriously brutalized by the AI.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't really care if a game is hard, I just felt the cards where really unfairly handed. Competitors are complete psycho, as usual, even in the starting rounds you can see astonishing scores from the AI, and I got forced into a war by an AI that had no chance in hell to have that much firepower this soon in the game.
As stated by steam users, there seems to be a very specific way to play the game with just the minimal margin of error before you get punished into oblivion. The game seems way more rigid in how you must play it than Civ.
I'm sad, it feels like as years pass I'm more and more weak at strategy games. I'm tired of this joke of diplomatic relations in this type of game, really would like to play a game with opponents that are not out for my blood. Maybe what I want is a sort of Sim-World and not a 4x.

Ok, on to Dugeon of the Endless / Endless Legend / Warlock / Age of Wonder 3.
EL is much more of a numbers game, yeah. If you're struggling on the basics of 4X-style games, Civ5 would be the best place to learn the fundamentals.

Also (this may not even apply to you) swallow your pride and play at an appropriate challenge level. Civ5 in particular gives the player plenty of options to make the game fun; if you need to, play on the lowest difficulty (Chieftain, I think) and get acclimated on how to play. If it feels too easy, bump up the challenge level until you're in a fun spot. While you're at it be sure to find out what sort of maps you like too, because they change the game up quite a bit.

4Xes take a while to learn, and it may be several hours before you can really stand against an AI - let alone win the game - on your own, but I think that's half the fun. Once you outpace a particular challenge level, bump it up! Then the game begins anew.

Remember: fun, and not victory, is the goal of such games. Play it exactly how you want so you can reach said goal.
Uh, my Steam broked

No, it's fine. The Long Dark's logo actually looks like that.
The UI stuff is clearly intentional.

Jawmuncher

Usually nukige might offer those, but not always. There is a VNDb and you can try to look for tags there. IIRC there was a bad end tag and similar ones.

Play Saya no Uta. Three different endings, all bad. Just different kinds of bad.

Not quality bad, mood bad.

According to TV Tropes, it's called Utsuge, which translates to "depressing game". Not sure if that's a widely used term or not. There's also Naikige, which means "crying game" (not that crying game), but supposedly those have good ends.

I see. Thanks for the heads up then everyone. Will poke around to see what I find.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Casimir, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Casimir, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Besiege -- MB-16E5EE168EF8B8B4 - Taken by tioslash. 50 entrants total.

t1424830868z1.png

Shadownet

Banned

Those are NSFW enough. ;D

Definitely not. The low price there is on account of Newegg's own discount code being able to be stacked twice because it's going over two separate orders, both of which got their own discounts because there's a blanket SE sale going on.
guess I better buy them now.

Good golly.

Trying to play Dark Souls 2 during tuesday maintenance is serioisly a huuuge pain

Constant lags and low fps. DS1 was not like this.

But hey, at least it made me post here and I saw Casimir's sweet Beseige giveaway. Thanks man.

Always a silver lining.

Vamphuntr

I just wished steam stopped being so buggy. I used my GMG key for RER2 on steam, it took a while and almost crashed until it redeemed it. Game wasn't on download list so I restarted steam and now it gives me connection error or is stuck at updating steam information.

Li Kao

EL is much more of a numbers game, yeah. If you're struggling on the basics of 4X-style games, Civ5 would be the best place to learn the fundamentals.

Also (this may not even apply to you) swallow your pride and play at an appropriate challenge level. Civ5 in particular gives the player plenty of options to make the game fun; if you need to, play on the lowest difficulty (Chieftain, I think) and get acclimated on how to play. If it feels too easy, bump up the challenge level until you're in a fun spot. While you're at it be sure to find out what sort of maps you like too, because they change the game up quite a bit.

4Xes take a while to learn, and it may be several hours before you can really stand against an AI - let alone win the game - on your own, but I think that's half the fun. Once you outpace a particular challenge level, bump it up! Then the game begins anew.

Remember: fun, and not victory, is the goal of such games. Play it exactly how you want so you can reach said goal.

Wow, I really appreciate the answer, thank you.
I'm not new to the genre but yeah I've always played Civ in a casual manner, so yeah I guess you could say seeing my recent results that I'm not really accustomed to the genre and how one should plays it. And as I said, maybe there is a misunderstanding between me and the genre. It only occurred to me yesterday but I already wrote the best analogy I can come up with, maybe I don't want a 4x but a sort of Sim-world. I'm totally down for the first three pillars but the Xterminate part bores me (and I'm not good at it). I have played so many Civ sessions in my younger years on full offensive that I really find no fun in dabbling with it again. The problem is that it's a 4X and not a 3X ^_^
I have no problem with difficulty per se, but yup, I really don't like how the AI handles itself in these games. To much blood lust, no real diplomacy.

Now specifically on the topic of ES, yeah, after trying Dungeon of the Endless today, I get the same feeling. Like Amplitude does a really good work, no doubt. Graphics, lore, basic gameplay, nothing to complain about. But there is this feeling of a game design a little too narrow, the impression that the game expect you to act in a VERY specific way, and punish you quite starkly if you don't. That would be bad design in my book. Buuuutttt I only have a couple plays under my belt, maybe I can't really see the deepness of their systems yet.

And please don't think I have an axe to grind with their game due to my total lack of skill. They can go to hell, they hurt my pride, but I think Endless Space and DotE are very solid games... maybe I should take the difficulty down a notch like you said, see what good that does.

Turfster

Well, everyone that missed out on Feep's amazing There Came An Echo giveaway should buy it, now.
Also pick up the soundtrack.
And the art book.
And Sequence, if you don't have it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom