• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
don't just tease. share the story.
not much to share, just dated someone i met playing ro and with which i had become pretty much best friends with and it wasn't meant to be and we never talked again. pretty shitty situation but tbh it was probably mostly my fault

That's fair. I'm mostly talking about the "they ran out of money and asked for more" "bobby kotick was right" type of posts though. It feels like that's where it started and since people were so ready to jump on the kickstarter hate train, no one bothered to actually find out what was happening. And of course it didn't help that the backer forums were private. And then Spacebase was "released", they definitely bungled that one up.
On the forums I saw some hopeful people being all "this will set the record straight" etc, and all I could do was shake my head. :p

But I don't think it's their multiple projects approach that is to blame. Chances are DF wouldn't even exists anymore if they had tried to do another big budget romp after Brutal Legend.
i don't think multiple projects is a bad thing, it's that they make a ton of radically different projects, from x-com like games to coop wave based shooters to party games for kinect to paper mario esque rpgs to graphic adventures to management sims etc etc

doing something like that may work for vanderveer since that's like 2 or 3 guys making small, cheap to make games with pixelart graphics, without vo and stuff, but when it's a 30 plus company i feel like starting from scratch for every project is not a great idea which is why most independente studios specialize (like obsidian or cd projekt just do rpgs)

Miguel81

Oh, I hear a lot about Black Friday. Since I am in Germany I don't know how good rebates were.
For how much did you get your card? Can't even imagine with how even standard prices in USA are much cheaper than here :O

Yeah, the deals are usually great during BF week, This particular one came with 4 games(sold them), and a 30$ rebate(which was honored). After selling my 7950, I ended up pretty much breaking even. Icing on the cake was the Omega driver which was released soon after. I was very much wanting to go with a 970, but not at more than twice the cost.

Are you still waiting for the new line of AMD cards to be released? A good deal for a 970 could probably be had around that time.

Yeah, the deals are usually great during BF week, This particular one came with 4 games(sold them), and a 30$ rebate(which was honored). After selling my 7950, I ended up pretty much breaking even. Icing on the cake was the Omega driver which was released soon after. I was very much wanting to go with a 970, but not at more than twice the cost.

Are you still waiting for the new line of AMD cards to be released? A good deal for a 970 could probably be had around that time.
Yup, you saw through me :p I am waiting till March where I hope AMD will bring out 3xx series. Some say July though. Don't know if I'll wait that long :/
But to be honest, after reading many benchmarks I swayed 180 degrees to the red side.
Phawx and others wrote here that the 3xx series is apparently going to feature some unusual new stuff like stacked RAM (which should lead to loads of RAM (more is always better amirite :p)) and HBM (High Bandwidth Memory). I don't recall such huge improvements happening regularly with yearly GPU releases, so I think the wait will be worth it.

That's pretty awesome that you broke even with a 290! That thing is a beast. You should post more - or better start posting screenshots of your games :)

Parsnip

i don't think multiple projects is a bad thing, it's that they make a ton of radically different projects, from x-com like games to coop wave based shooters to party games for kinect to paper mario esque rpgs to graphic adventures to management sims etc etc

doing something like that may work for vanderveer since that's like 2 or 3 guys making small, cheap to make games with pixelart graphics, without vo and stuff, but when it's a 30 plus company i feel like starting from scratch for every project is not a great idea which is why most independente studios specialize (like obsidian or cd projekt just do rpgs)

DF specializes on humor I guess, with varying results.
Their experimentation is probably what makes them one of the more interesting companies to me. In some ways they are just throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks.
It would be very curious to see what would happen if any of their small projects hits big, would that change how they operate.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woah, when did Dead Rising 2/Off The Record's GfWL achievements hit Steam's client? They weren't there when Biohazard 5's hit.

Does this mean all three of those GfWL ports of Capcom's is going to hit one-after-another? :eek:

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Woah, when did Dead Rising 2/Off The Record's GfWL achievements hit Steam's client? They weren't there when Biohazard 5's hit.

Does this mean all three of those GfWL ports of Capcom's is going to hit one-after-another? :eek:

Possibly.

zkylon

zkylewd
DF specializes on humor I guess, with varying results.
Their experimentation is probably what makes them one of the more interesting companies to me. In some ways they are just throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks.
It would be very curious to see what would happen if any of their small projects hits big, would that change how they operate.
while i agree, i just don't think they have been very successful with it. i mean, afaik hack and slash is pretty great, but most of the things they've released lately have gotten the reception that they're kind of undercooked, i guess? or plain unfinished in df-9's case?

and like from my own experience playing massive chalice, which is a game that i see as having a lot of potential but also very telling design flaws that no doubt will 100% pop up on the final game, i get the impression that maybe branching out so much just doesn't let them ever get good at anything

and even the double fine whimsy is sometimes harder to recognize in some of these games, it's not like brutal legend in which the concept and the humor is amazing but the execution is overambitious or flawed in some way, some of these games feel a bit like not that exciting overall. massive chalice is nice and all but to me it's a "x-com clone" in which you don't have soldiers to attach to, which is imo just a pretty poor idea overall.

i think their style was at their best when they had those console exclusive deals and they put out iron brigade, costume quest and stacking. those games had all their charm and their interesting aspects to them, and even if they weren't all massive successes, i feel like at least they were all 3d made in brutal legend's engine and backed by publishers, which sounds to me like maybe a better business mode for df i guess

i dunno, i really want broken age to be as good as it can be, and i love that they keep making weird projects, but i can't stand not liking double fine. i need them to be impossibly lovable again

ed: this got kind of rambly lol

while i agree, i just don't think they have been very successful with it. i mean, afaik hack and slash is pretty great, but most of the things they've released lately have gotten the reception that they're kind of undercooked, i guess? or plain unfinished in df-9's case?

Remember, folks: by Double Fine's own standards (i.e. completely rewriting their design goals) they finished Spacebase DF-9, which is why it left Early Access.

Anyhow, I feel that Double Fine's always lived and died on the imaginative charm of their games. Psychonauts and Brutal Legend are solidly below average without the trademark Double Fine whackiness. I haven't played their newer games, but it seems like they still struggle with the actual game designing aspect of game development.

zkylon

zkylewd
Remember, folks: by Double Fine's own standards (i.e. completely rewriting their design goals) they finished Spacebase DF-9, which is why it left Early Access.

Anyhow, I feel that Double Fine's always lived and died on the imaginative charm of their games. Psychonauts and Brutal Legend are solidly below average without the trademark Double Fine whackiness. I haven't played their newer games, but it seems like they still struggle with the actual game designing aspect of game development.
highly disagree, both psychonauts and brutal legends were pretty great and creative games. obviously far from perfect but still

i think that stacking was great too and was probably the most mechanically solid df game i've played

highly disagree, both psychonauts and brutal legends were pretty great and creative games. obviously far from perfect but still

i think that stacking was great too and was probably the most mechanically solid df game i've played

One day Double Fine will make a game I like mechanically... one day.

I enjoyed every bit of Psychonauts, it's better than any platformer at the time it came out and was completely different and unique. I really wish they made a new one. I just feel like they are trying to do too much at this time.

zkylon

zkylewd
the "gameplay" thing is another reason why i think they should limit a bit their genre branching out adventures

game design is all about iteration and if you're starting over every time you're always being a newbie at everything you do, which makes the design pitfalls of their games understandable, but not really "forgivable"

tho i'm really disappointed that costume quest 2 seems to be like pretty much the same game as 1.

Last chance. I'll update with the winners once ModBot sends the message. XD
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

juCB897xP9DN3.png

MURI -- MB-4B9B432CD32D514E - Taken by Naked Snake. 6 entrants total.
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-3FCFD73E21F326D2 - Taken by Sch1sm. 35 entrants total.
Thief -- MB-81E9E8D6ED7C062B - Taken by BernardoOne. 32 entrants total.
The Detail Episode 1 -- MB-87B3F2080472648E - Taken by S1n1st3r. 10 entrants total.

t1425188841z1.png

EDIT: No one entered for MURI? XD

EDIT2: Nevermind.

JaseC

The only Double Fine game I've played (excluding my brief stint with Psychonauts for the Winter Sale achievement) is Brutal Legend, which I enjoyed aside from the strategy mini-game. I'd intended to play through it again when the PC version hit, but, well, yeah.

Lain

With March beginning, hopefully the release for Lightning Returns will be closer. I need something to tear me away from WoW.

ExoSoul

Banned

Ok, leaving that achievement for last was worth it just cause of that video xD thank you =)

Nice! Race The Sun right?

Yep =)
The new patch/version is also very good, not only does it add a top-down-esque labyrinth mode that's actually quite fun and has a different set of rules for itself they also added new SFX:
- the ship now has a low futuristic engine sound that's quite pleasant
- when you pass by objects you get that "swish" sound and the closer to the object the more intense it is so it really adds up to the sense of speed.

I definitely recommend it to anyone that's interested.

I think the general consensus is that it's too much work for MURI XD

Yep =)
The new patch/version is also very good, not only does it add a top-down-esque labyrinth mode that's actually quite fun and has a different set of rules for itself they also added new SFX:
- the ship now has a low futuristic engine sound that's quite pleasant
- when you pass by objects you get that "swish" sound and the closer to the object the more intense it is so it really adds up to the sense of speed.

I definitely recommend it to anyone that's interested.

I think the general consensus is that it's too much work for MURI XD

The achievements look pretty colourful.

Pretty funny considering "muri" means unreasonable (or something like that) in Japanese.

Sch1sm

Last chance. I'll update with the winners once ModBot sends the message. XD

EDIT2: Nevermind.

Been wanting to try this for a while and didn't bite on the sale, or the other sale, or the Squeenix bundle. Thanks!

My XONE troubles have forced me to move through some of my Steam backlog. Maybe I'll play this one soon. c:

Alright guys, here's my dilemma; Transformers Fall of Cybertron for $12.50 or South Park the Stick of Truth for $13.60? I can only choose one.

If you are at all a fan of South Park, buy South Park. It starts a bit slow, but it gets pretty amazing pretty quickly. It also lasts just the right amount of time. Highly recommended.

Deques

Double Dragon Neon doesn't have online co-op? Me and my brother wanted to play it together but it is missing online feature

Alright guys, here's my dilemma; Transformers Fall of Cybertron for $12.50 or South Park the Stick of Truth for $13.60? I can only choose one.

If you're a collector and/or are worried about products being yanked from the store due to license expiry, get Transformers.

If all you want is a solid RPG (and you don't care about your game count), wait until SP goes cheaper or pick up one of the Final Fantasy's when they go on sale.

The only Double Fine game I've played (excluding my brief stint with Psychonauts for the Winter Sale achievement) is Brutal Legend, which I enjoyed aside from the strategy mini-game. I'd intended to play through it again when the PC version hit, but, well, yeah.

I quit playing Brutal Legend when it went from Pikmin to the worst RTS I've ever experienced, during some defense mission.

Also... The strategy part was the main hook of the game. EA... perhaps wisely... avoided mentioning this aspect of Brutal Legend during the marketing campaign.

-MD-

They should update the description in the store page. It doesn't mention anything about online

It mentions it a couple times on the store page, once in the features list "Steam adaptation and online co-op developed by Abstraction Games." and "Additional Notes: Internet connection required for online play" on the requirements section.

SqY1YrQ.png

I agree though the info should be on the side bar of features so it's easy to spot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Should have asked - I have a spare copy.
should've offered!

animu spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (zkylon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cherry Tree High Complete Pack -- MB-6110E4B8ECF9E153 - Taken by Milamber
Fairy Bloom Freesia Soundtrack -- MB-2E03A796DE90C718 - Taken by ExoSoul

rush dat ost saoirse!

JaseC

I quit playing Brutal Legend when it went from Pikmin to the worst RTS I've ever experienced, during some defense mission.

Also... The strategy part was the main hook of the game. EA... perhaps wisely... avoided mentioning this aspect of Brutal Legend during the marketing campaign.

The RTS sections didn't really click with me; I just handballed the controller to a mate and let him do them since he'd finished the game, haha. Everything else was nice enough, though, so I saw the campaign through to the end.

wilflare

still wondering if I should spend $10 on that Humble Weekly
lol. this +1 habit is getting VERY expensive

how do you manage to ensure you redeem everything JaseC?

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't like your chances of somebody taking the OST alone. You should just use the key yourself.

Edit: And I already have it. ;)
why would i want that key? i don't care about +1s and pls i don't listen to music using steam

i'm crazy but not that crazy

also someone already took it so, u know...

Banking them for a spring sale giveaway. If I see that someone needs something and I have a code for it, I'm just giving it to them.
so what you're saying is, you owe me a code?

lol

Deques

It mentions it a couple times on the store page, once in the features list "Steam adaptation and online co-op developed by Abstraction Games." and "Additional Notes: Internet connection required for online play" on the requirements section.

SqY1YrQ.png

I agree though the info should be on the side bar of features so it's easy to spot.

Looks like I missed the description there, since I only looked at the sidebar

JaseC

Has anybody else noticed that, in Unity, the woman who cries about her stolen item (when the game generates a thief for you to catch) is voiced by the exact same person who did the lines for the female beggar in the original AssCreed?

still wondering if I should spend $10 on that Humble Weekly
lol. this +1 habit is getting VERY expensive

how do you manage to ensure you redeem everything JaseC?

What, you mean monetarily? Massive credit card debt!

why would i want that key? i don't care about +1s and pls i don't listen to music using steam

i'm crazy but not that crazy

also someone already took it so, u know...

Psh, I know that was your alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom