• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

I actually prefer the pixely PS1 looks.
Has its distinct charm and will always age better than the other one.

Well you could always play the PC version and set your rendering resolution to 320x240 to experience the "classic" look. (I don't know if that's actually an option in game, but I'm sure there's a way to do it through mods if you were so inclined)

zkylon

zkylewd
The first image is the PS1 version which was originally rendered at 320x240 (aka, terrible)

The second image is basically the same scene but on the PC version. The background looks the same because they didn't do anything to increase the static background resolution in the game. But the character models are obviously quite improved upon.

oh, i thought you were like showing the ps1 version on emulator which was really confusing to me why it looked so crap

Jawmuncher

Well you could always play the PC version and set your rendering resolution to 320x240 to experience the "classic" look. (I don't know if that's actually an option in game, but I'm sure there's a way to do it through mods if you were so inclined)

Damn roasted like a marshmallow

Ozium

Concerning the Humble bundle, how are The Detail and A Golden Wake? Trying to decide if I should BTA

I liked the Detail but it's pretty short, only Episode 1 right now... also there's no voice acting, which really pissed Turfster off

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I swear I'm not trying to confuse zkylon, but

Square Enix could have obviously put a lot more work into the FF8 port to PC. I mean, what they already did was pretty cool and I'm happy to have the Steam version, but it was basically a re-release of the original PC version with a few tweaks. I'm still awaiting a proper remastering.

vC42dnB.png

(this guy knows what's up)

More here where you can dream of a remake that will probably never happen.

Shadownet

Banned
Square Enix could have obviously put a lot more work into the FF8 port to PC. I mean, what they already did was pretty cool and I'm happy to have the Steam version, but it was basically a re-release of the original PC version with a few tweaks. I'm still awaiting a proper remastering.
Square Enix, doing the bare minimum since the 2000.

Jawmuncher

I still haven't beaten FF8.
Only ever beat the first disc with a Game a Shark. Then the group split up and I was in a no win state. Since the code I was using only applied to Squall

It's a last gen game, how bad could it be?

I can't speak for Unity but both Black Flag (late 2013) and Liberation HD (early 2014) only had Double Buffering for their Vsync options. Had to use D3DOverrider to force triple buffering.

Like, i want to know how you can release anything within the last 2 years that doesn't feature triple buffering as a vsync option and feel good sleep at night.

zkylon

zkylewd
you really can't remake games like ff8 or ff7 i think

they're too long and too big in scope that it would cost so much money to redo them in current-gen graphics, not to mention voice acting and gameplay changes

i can't imagine it being worth the risk

Parsnip

I'm so glad they're talking about the PC version. I've almost given in and bought on Android a couple of times.
They have been talking about it a bunch on backer only updates.

It's a bit funny, the episode 1 PC beta looked pretty much like the mobile game except that on higher resolution, but these new remaster screens look significantly better.

Broken Sword 5 already in a bundle? Hope it isn't a bad sign :x

Already? The full game's been out nearly a year, episode 1 over a year. Is that fast?

Guys if you've been using pixel vision and have been bummed out that it isnt gonna be updated anymore rejoice as a guy on steam has started updating it again :D

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pixelvision2#announcements

Their update at the top, my update at the bottom. Looks like they didn't even try to match the style for the new panel. Lazy! :p
I also changed the BIG PICTURE icon because that has always bothered me in pixelvision.
There's a little problem with the lists on mine as well, but oh well.

edit: If anyone wants my update, grab it here. http://beerlake.net/PixelVision_custom_0.01.7z or http://sta.sh/0cd8idledp1
I make no promises for future updates, but there you have it.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kagemusha:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Residue -- MB-484F3599DAC2EFD7 - Taken by agniswarm. 6 entrants total.
BLOODNET -- MB-036E3A1A5E2EC9C0 - Taken by Blu(e). 3 entrants total.
UFO AFTERSHOCK -- MB-33A737A78212EABC - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.
Jet Car -- MB-59E2ECB0D5712BFA - Taken by Kifimbo. 6 entrants total.
SOL Exodus -- MB-C6F011EAFC410DBD - Taken by thereisnoif. 1 entrants total.
Slave Zero -- MB-E500CB1AD9E35BC5 - Taken by Kuroyume. 5 entrants total.
1Quest -- MB-E00C7E030B298F73 - Taken by Haunted. 4 entrants total.
8BitBoy -- MB-CF88C383E7B76452 - Taken by trailmix16. 1 entrants total.
BlackSoul -- MB-96355F4EBF92DA2B - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
Epigenesis -- MB-E15B6882E3F5B0A6 - Taken by 7Sins. 1 entrants total.
Quest for Infamy -- MB-3CBB2F3B05C379BC - Taken by Blu(e). 6 entrants total.

Five Nights at Freddy's -- MB-AEC1663E41547B64 - Taken by gaiadyne. 4 entrants total.
REX NEBULAR AND THE COSMIC GENDER BENDER -- MB-0D702011CEBE1446 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
Space Farmers 2-Pack -- MB-1A6DC4D894F869A6 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Vector -- MB-4C8FC903E62501D4 - Taken by Natty1. 11 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-A2BB98EED9BC1C2C - Taken by Conrad Link
The Desolate Hope -- MB-6ADF59D126FFB2A9 - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
SHADOW OPS -- MB-8E8CC891608435F4 - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.
SWEET LILY DREAMS -- MB-D63DB8ADAB4718C3 - Taken by xGreg
Smooth Operators -- MB-BB5779A714F154CD - Taken by bobnowhere. 3 entrants total.
Galactic Arms Race -- MB-D6AC65C617FFC89E - Taken by titch. 2 entrants total.
Nosgoth Veteran Pack #2 -- MB-EE7DC0EBB7D9FF31 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 2 entrants total.
Rush For Glory -- MB-AA26A2DACFCF603F - Taken by drakaenae. 3 entrants total.

t1423182319z1.png

Question: I just won Viktor - was on my wishlist, so thank you, BinaryPork2737! - but I also entered Kagemusha's giveaway for the same game right before. Is there any way I can remove myself from that giveaway? I tried looking at the Modbot FAQ and can't find anything, but I swear someone mentioned a way to do it before. I'd hate to win the same game twice, for obvious reasons.

MRORANGE

New game for month, thoughts by Uzzy:

iFH68tTWBNzjE.jpg

Apotheon
- Uzzy
Apotheon, by Alien Trap Games, is a side scrolling metroidvania game, set in the world of ancient Greek mythology. Apotheon sees
you cast as as humanity's last hero, Nikandreos, who after the Greek gods abandon humanity, must fight his way through hordes
of mythical enemies and search for divine treasure, in order to scale Mount Olympus to claim the divine powers the Gods wield to
save mankind.

The thing that stood out most about this game to me was it's amazing art design. It's essentially an interactive piece of ancient
Greek art, like the kind you'd see on pottery. It looks like nothing I've seen before, which for me, is always something to get excited
about. Gameplay wise, it's promising a combat system that relies on timing and positioning, and a wide variety of weapons and armour
types to get to grips with. Exploration will also play a key part, with upgrades and better weapons hidden away behind locked doors,
forcing you to search the amazing looking world.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Question: I just won Viktor - was on my wishlist, so thank you, BinaryPork2737! - but I also entered Kagemusha's giveaway for the same game right before. Is there any way I can remove myself from that giveaway? I tried looking at the Modbot FAQ and can't find anything, but I swear someone mentioned a way to do it before. I'd hate to win the same game twice, for obvious reasons.

What happens if I enter for a raffle and discover I don't want it BEFORE the raffle is drawn for? How do I disqualify myself?
Again, I really must suggest that you take a few seconds to consider if you really want something before entering the raffle. But now that you've done it, you can disqualify yourself by sending a PM to ModBot with the subject line disqualify me and any body text. This will disqualify you from ALL outstanding raffles you have entered, and you will not be able to re-enter those raffles later.

It's in that guide :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
How is it that Squirreltopia is given away so very much and yet I still can't seem to grab a key for myself? Oh well, I'll just buy it later.

Also anyone who hasn't tried Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod it's worth going into at the moment since so many extra people are buying the game while it's on sale and coming in for the first time. Get some friends together, try playing helicopter dodgeball together or something.

they're too long and too big in scope that it would cost so much money to redo them in current-gen graphics, not to mention voice acting and gameplay changes

The cost and time is a detraction to be sure, as is the risk of it going wrong and souring consumer trust if it changes too much or it's a poor remake that drives off the consumers, but the real reason is there is simply no need to remake it. Why remake something when ports of PC games will sell just as well for far far cheaper costs?

Also I'm sure there has to be a few people right now that would not want to work on a game about a group of terrorists in their plots to blow up what is akin to nuclear reactors right at the start.

Deitus

But a ground up remake of FF7 with modern visuals, voice acting, and production values would take no effort at all, and single handedly save Square Enix. The only reason they haven't done it yet is because they hate money. That's what the internet keeps telling me.

But seriously I agree with you. A full remake of FF7 is going to cost as much to make as a brand new game, but despite all of the nostalgia, it won't bring in as much revenue. It will probably make enough to turn a profit, and it might bring in some good will for the company, but it's not going to be a massive money maker.

It's definitely not as simple to do as modern HD remasters, and people seriously overestimate how many people are willing to shell out 60 bucks for a 1997 JRPG.

zkylon

zkylewd
The cost and time is a detraction to be sure, as is the risk of it going wrong and souring consumer trust if it changes too much or it's a poor remake that drives off the consumers, but the real reason is there is simply no need to remake it. Why remake something when ports of PC games will sell just as well for far far cheaper costs?
But a ground up remake of FF7 with modern visuals, voice acting, and production values would take no effort at all, and single handedly save Square Enix. The only reason they haven't done it yet is because they hate money. That's what the internet keeps telling me.

But seriously I agree with you. A full remake of FF7 is going to cost as much to make as a brand new game, but despite all of the nostalgia, it won't bring in as much revenue. It will probably make enough to turn a profit, and it might bring in some good will for the company, but it's not going to be a massive money maker.

It's definitely not as simple to do as modern HD remasters, and people seriously overestimate how many people are willing to shell out 60 bucks for a 1997 JRPG.
i'm guessing a full on remake would sell much better than this remaster thing but still, too much money, probably as much as versus or whatever.

and i don't know if it'll sell as much as versus. and i don't know if they will be able to do a ff7-2, ff7-3, etc. without pissing off fans. etc. etc.

and if they fuck it up, they'll never hear the end of it

too risky, ff7 is a great game that aged really well aside from the goofy models. no need to remake it for sure.

Also I'm sure there has to be a few people right now that would not want to work on a game about a group of terrorists in their plots to blow up what is akin to nuclear reactors right at the start.
i dunno about that, modern warfare 2 had captain price shooting a nuke at the us for some nonsensical reason, big boss is basically che guevara by now and ass creed had a middle eastern protagonist and made a dlc in which george washington is mega evil

it is a factor i'm sure but i bet ff7 being such a staple game it wouldn't be such a big deal

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks (for that - and Viktor!)

I just PMed Modbot. I assume I don't get a PM back from Modbot verifying my request?

You're welcome, and I think so, yes.

why can't Final fantasy 7 and 8 become below $5 ?

They've been cheaper in the past. On Steam, 8 was apparently $4.07 during the last summer sale amd 7 was $3.99 at some point, according to isthereanydeal.

and i don't know if they will be able to do a ff7-2, ff7-3, etc. without pissing off fans. etc. etc.

I mean, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus were basically already the equivalent of that anyway.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm not sure if I agree with that logic. Take Final Fantasy VII for example. The game has a great story, great gameplay, fully flushed out combat and upgrade systems, everything. It just needs a fresh coat of paint. So the majority of the workflow goes to the artistic talent - they don't have to change anything in regards to the above-mentioned "tried and true" elements of the game.

The original Final Fantasy VII had about 48 minutes of fully rendered cut scenes, or about half of the length of the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children movie. By comparison, Lightning Returns has almost 7 hours of pre-rendered cut scenes.

The majority of the work would go into re-drawing the hand-drawn visuals that were used in these earlier games. As the screenshot I showed earlier proves, these don't really have to be hand drawn any more, as they can make them impressive looking using available 3D modeling tech and such.

Since the original games didn't have voice acting, adding it in would be a nice touch. Again not cheap, but would be worth doing to help convince people that it's a "proper remake".

Sure, doing all of this would be a lot of work - but contrast that with the number of fans that would instantly purchase the remake on the platform of their choice at $60 a pop (or even $40 a pop which would probably be more likely), and I'd say you're probably wrong about it being worth the risk.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
too risky, ff7 is a great game that aged really well aside from the goofy models. no need to remake it for sure.
spits+out+drink.gif

Models, Animations and many other things haven't aged that great.(And some were not even revolutionary back in the day like some say) The nostalgia goggles are still strong for many I suppose.

Phawx

I'm thinking of buying a Sager NP9752. I can probably get the whole kit and kaboodle for $1600 with a 4k LCD.

Don't know if I can wait almost a year for new parts. I kind of need a portable gaming rig now.

jshackles

Models, Animations and many other things haven't aged that great.(And some were not even revolutionary back in the day like some say) The nostalgia goggles are still strong for many I suppose.

Yeah, I'd much rather have

than

any day.

-----

Interestingly enough, my son has taken some interest in Final Fantasy games the last few months. He's finished 1, 3, 5, and 6 and is currently playing 4 (the good version on the PSP). I set him in front of 7 and all I get are eye rolls when I tell him "really - it's a great game!".

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Also SE could rehash the assets to do FF VII-2 and VII-3 and remake the PSP game too while at it. (Let us forget Dirge of Cerberus ever existed.)

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah, I'd much rather have
Maybe it's because of my love for FFVII. But I'm not sure I see why VII: Advent Children was so hated.

Sure, it's not the best animated adaptation of a video game ever. Not even in the top tier. But it's quite enjoyable as it is. The animation and action scenes are especially beautiful.

It was awesome at the time for me to see the crew in HD like that after years of seeing them in the game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Some new Payday 2 thing. http://www.overkillsoftware.com/thehypetrain/

Something about a hype train and hype fuel. There's also a DLC pack only available for a limited time.

It should also be noted that there are two DLC packs - a five dollar one and a twenty dollar one. The cheaper one will continue to be around, but the more expensive one is limited edition and does not include the cheaper bundle. I haven't been feeling Payday 2's DLC as much since they started splitting the DLC up so much. I think I'm just about done with the game unless they pull some really cool mission out of nowhere.

As an aside, god this is so stylish it hurts:

lXiRA7wKu99qcb600.gif

Atlus please ;-;

I still don't understand why the non-combat models for characters in FF7 were shaped like cabbage patch kids.

Also, I don't know that updating them is the best idea. It would make some of the more... unique scenes in FF7 a little awkward (to say the least) - mainly the Honey Bee Inn stuff.

FFT next plsss S-E

As an aside, god this is so stylish it hurts:

lXiRA7wKu99qcb600.gif

Atlus please ;-;

The Persona series is more stylish than anything, wow. I want that company to do well so they can continue to redefine what style in video games actually is.

L.O.R.D

In this sale, I can buy the Deus Ex Collection for $6.59, the Hitman Collection for $7.99, the Just Cause Collection for $3.79...

or I can get one 15+ year-old Final Fantasy game for $5.99.

don't forget Tomb Raider 2013 for $4 only ( you don't need the stupid DLC anyway )

even the price for FF 3 is very expansive , $8 ?

Amzin

New game for month, thoughts by Uzzy:

Apotheon
- Uzzy
Apotheon, by Alien Trap Games, is a side scrolling metroidvania game, set in the world of ancient Greek mythology. Apotheon sees
you cast as as humanity's last hero, Nikandreos, who after the Greek gods abandon humanity, must fight his way through hordes
of mythical enemies and search for divine treasure, in order to scale Mount Olympus to claim the divine powers the Gods wield to
save mankind.

The thing that stood out most about this game to me was it's amazing art design. It's essentially an interactive piece of ancient
Greek art, like the kind you'd see on pottery. It looks like nothing I've seen before, which for me, is always something to get excited
about. Gameplay wise, it's promising a combat system that relies on timing and positioning, and a wide variety of weapons and armour
types to get to grips with. Exploration will also play a key part, with upgrades and better weapons hidden away behind locked doors,
forcing you to search the amazing looking world.

That looks amazing, never heard of it before. Thanks! Added to wishlist, may actually by that before a seal :p

OT for sure :

I'm looking to cease renting my Modem from The Devil Comcast. Anyone have any recommendations on one to pick up? I'm pretty sure I have a router around here, so that functionality isn't required.

jshackles

Maybe it's because of my love for FFVII. But I'm not sure I see why VII: Advent Children was so hated.

Sure, it's not the best animated adaptation of a video game ever. Not even in the top tier. But it's quite enjoyable as it is. The animation and action scenes are especially beautiful.

It was awesome at the time for me to see the crew in HD like that after years of seeing them in the game.

I thought Advent Children was an absolute masterpiece, and I rewatch it at least once every 6 months. I've not personally met anyone that takes issue with it, though I've seen some people grumble about it online but that's easy enough to ignore.

My only "real" gripe with Advent Children is that it's been ages since it was released and we still haven't seen a proper remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Think about it this way: more time has passed between now and the release of Advent Children than time that passed between Advent Children and the original release of Final Fantasy VII.

Miguel81

Interestingly enough, my son has taken some interest in Final Fantasy games the last few months. He's finished 1, 3, 5, and 6 and is currently playing 4 (the good version on the PSP). I set him in front of 7 and all I get are eye rolls when I tell him "really - it's a great game!".

The moving CG backgrounds were so impressive back then that I overlooked the goofy character models. The battle screen ones were pretty rad, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom