• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deitus

Maybe it's because of my love for FFVII. But I'm not sure I see why VII: Advent Children was so hated.

Sure, it's not the best animated adaptation of a video game ever. Not even in the top tier. But it's quite enjoyable as it is. The animation and action scenes are especially beautiful.

It was awesome at the time for me to see the crew in HD like that after years of seeing them in the game.

The animation and fight scenes were fantastic, and there were a ton of bits of fanservice that I really appreciated. But ultimately the story was fanfiction garbage. It's definitely worth watching for a fan of FF7, but it doesn't really add much of worth (outside of really cool CG visuals).

At this point I'd rather they stay away from direct sequels, whether for games or in other mediums. I wouldn't mind if they did a standalone film with the animation quality of Advent Children, though I don't know if they could justify the budget without attaching it to an existing property.

As an aside, god this is so stylish it hurts:

lXiRA7wKu99qcb600.gif

Atlus please ;-;

I cannot stop watching this gif. I need this so bad.

Phawx

Shit. What do I do guys? 4k 15.6" @ $2050 or 1080p 17.3" @ $1731?

GTX 980m is 80% of the perf of the 980 desktop gpu. 4k gaming is not going to happen with that perf. But I wanted to record some 4k stuff.

Shadownet

Banned
I thought Advent Children was an absolute masterpiece, and I rewatch it at least once every 6 months. I've not personally met anyone that takes issue with it, though I've seen some people grumble about it online but that's easy enough to ignore.

My only "real" gripe with Advent Children is that it's been ages since it was released and we still haven't seen a proper remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Think about it this way: more time has passed between now and the release of Advent Children than time that passed between Advent Children and the original release of Final Fantasy VII.

Oh man years ago I think I was reading a forum about FFVII and everyone seem to hated Advent Children and I was like.. "Damn what is so bad about it.. I liked it a lot."

I honestly wouldn't mind if they release a sequel to Advent Children, or just straight up a Vincent Valentine movie.

Sigh... that fact make me so sad. Honestly seeing Square Enix bitch about how bad their company is doing and I just wanna scream. Just fricking re-release FFVII and VIII in HD and watch the cash roll in you idiots. Also they should have made Kingdom Hearts 3 back on the PS3. would have made them a buttload of money as well.

It's mind boggling that they released games like FFXIII and shitty mobile games that range from okay to downright terrible. When they hold back ambitious and highly anticipated projects like FFXV (XIII Versus) and KH3 back.

Sometimes, I feel like SQ is run by people who are completely out of touch with their fanbase.

Edit: or maybe it's time for a Final Fantasy VIII movie.

Double Edit: Thanks Deitus for pointing out my brainfart.

zkylon

zkylewd
for the record i thought adventure children was absolute garbage

I mean, Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus were basically already the equivalent of that anyway.
were those epic 70hr rpgs with hundreds of different enemies, and dozens of characters, monsters, weapons and cutscenes? i'm sure people will want redone music and added vo, and available on a billion platforms, right?

now try testing that

the budget required to remake something like ff7 would be gigantic, nothing like redoing resident evil 1 or whatever

Will you shushhhhhhhh? :O I actually want a remake. *duct tape your mouth*
i would love a remake, i just don't think it makes sense for square enix

I'm not sure if I agree with that logic. Take Final Fantasy VII for example. The game has a great story, great gameplay, fully flushed out combat and upgrade systems, everything. It just needs a fresh coat of paint. So the majority of the workflow goes to the artistic talent - they don't have to change anything in regards to the above-mentioned "tried and true" elements of the game.

The original Final Fantasy VII had about 48 minutes of fully rendered cut scenes, or about half of the length of the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children movie. By comparison, Lightning Returns has almost 7 hours of pre-rendered cut scenes.

The majority of the work would go into re-drawing the hand-drawn visuals that were used in these earlier games. As the screenshot I showed earlier proves, these don't really have to be hand drawn any more, as they can make them impressive looking using available 3D modeling tech and such.

Since the original games didn't have voice acting, adding it in would be a nice touch. Again not cheap, but would be worth doing to help convince people that it's a "proper remake".

Sure, doing all of this would be a lot of work - but contrast that with the number of fans that would instantly purchase the remake on the platform of their choice at $60 a pop (or even $40 a pop which would probably be more likely), and I'd say you're probably wrong about it being worth the risk.
you're talking about a resident evil 1 remake thing then, which is not what i'm saying

i don't think that's what people asking for a remake want, i think people want to be able to rotate the camera and see that world at their leisure. i think people want the classic dialogue box scenes recreated as full cutscenes with voice acting and whatever, not just higher res backgrounds and new models.

at least personally i wouldn't give a shit about the same game with a bit newer graphics

Deitus

It's mind boggling that they released games like FFXIII and shitty mobile games that range from okay to downright terrible. When they hold back ambitious and highly anticipated projects like The Last Guardian and FFXV (XIII Versus) and KH3 back.

TLG is Sony, not Square.

They aren't holding back FFXV and KH3 purposely. FF Versus XIII got stuck in development hell, and that was largely the KH team working on it at the time.

Well you could always play the PC version and set your rendering resolution to 320x240 to experience the "classic" look. (I don't know if that's actually an option in game, but I'm sure there's a way to do it through mods if you were so inclined)
Ha! That is actually possible I guess.
My eyes are so used to low-res I am afraid of going higher.

GTX 980m is 80% of the perf of the 980 desktop gpu. 4k gaming is not going to happen with that perf. But I wanted to record some 4k stuff.
17.3" @ $1731 imo
It will take years until 4K gets common and you can either save that money or use it for something else.

But keep in mind I am not a high-end guy, so there's that.

Nabs

OT for sure :

I'm looking to cease renting my Modem from The Devil Comcast. Anyone have any recommendations on one to pick up? I'm pretty sure I have a router around here, so that functionality isn't required.

Amazon just had a great deal on a Surfboard. Actually, two great deals, since Woot had a refurbished model for about $55 this morning. Keep your eyes on Slickdeals.

Shadownet

Banned
TLG is Sony, not Square.

They aren't holding back FFXV and KH3 purposely. FF Versus XIII got stuck in development hell, and that largely the KH team working on it at the time.

But when did the started developing KH3? unless it's at the end of the PS3 cycle. Then they really have little excuse for not working on Versus first.

FFXIII Versus was announced back in like 2006.

zkylon

zkylewd
the reason i think adventure children is shit is cos it's 100% special effects with barely any character interaction. it's an adaptation of a game that had dozens of cool characters to make awesome scenes with and instead they introduce a terrible new fanfiction storyline about lame new characters and have cloud and sephiroth fight for an hour while the rest of the cast just stares

also everything looks fucking grey

awful awful awful

Will the FF games go any lower this weekend or should I just buy them all now?

not sure but you should wait

Shadownet

Banned
Did they announce what the new Payday DLC is about? If not, damn DocSeuss is crazy for already buying it. I'm looking at the Steam Page and it's pretty empty.

Deitus

But when did the started developing KH3? unless it's at the end of the PS3 cycle. Then they really have little excuse for not working on Versus first.

FFXIII Versus was announced back in like 2006.

Full development of KH3 didn't start until very recently. Pretty much not until they decided to change Versus XIII into XV and hand it over to a different team.

As for Versus, the development of XIII was an absolute trainwreck, and they kept having to pull staff away from Versus to work on XIII, at least that's my understanding.

When did Steam start scheduling an update's downloads instead of actually downloading them? Such a weird thing to do, unless it's Valve trying to spare their network somehow.
the reason i think adventure children is shit is cos it's 100% special effects with barely any character interaction. it's an adaptation of a game that had dozens of cool characters to make awesome scenes with and instead they introduce a terrible new fanfiction storyline about lame new characters and have cloud and sephiroth fight for an hour while the rest of the cast just stares

also everything looks fucking grey

awful awful awful

not sure but you should wait
AC had everything you need from a full-fledged cinematic adaption of Final Fantasy 7: Cloud vs. Sephiroth, Bahamut, Limit Breaks, and the Turks! Doesn't get any better than that.

Ozium

When did Steam start scheduling an update's downloads instead of actually downloading them? Such a weird thing to do, unless it's Valve trying to spare their network somehow.

they've always done that, now they just list the times for information reasons...

derExperte

A long time ago but only since a few months does the client actually tell you the time the update will happen. Before it just said that one is available.

zkylon

zkylewd
AC had everything you need from a full-fledged cinematic adaption of Final Fantasy 7: Cloud vs. Sephiroth, Bahamut, Limit Breaks, and the Turks! Doesn't get any better than that.
advent children should've been one 20 minute scene in a proper movie celebrating all the great shit in ff7. the charming characters, the awesome locales, the fun and the sad moments. all those great elements to a great story should've been replicated in a movie, not saying the exact same scenes, but make a movie that reminds you of the game, not some random neverending angsty fight between hot anime teenagers

Amazon just had a great deal on a Surfboard. Actually, two great deals, since Woot had a refurbished model for about $55 this morning. Keep your eyes on Slickdeals.

i know......was too late to pull the trigger. Pissed it was over when I got home.

Motorola SB6141

Will probably end up going this route, even though it'd be full price. Still cheaper in the long run than bleeding monthly fees to Comcast.

Amzin

advent children should've been one 20 minute scene in a proper movie celebrating all the great shit in ff7. the charming characters, the awesome locales, the fun and the sad moments. all those great elements to a great story should've been replicated in a movie, not saying the exact same scenes, but make a movie that reminds you of the game, not some random neverending angsty fight between hot anime teenagers

Perhaps it's because I never liked FF7 as much as everyone else (I enjoyed it but didn't get as into it as 6), but Advent Children is one of my favorite movies. The story is... well, to be expected, but it's just such an epic spectacle that I can't help but enjoy it every time I watch it. I've bought it *3* times (dvd, PSP, BR) :p

Ozium

all this FF talk is making me want to pick up KH 2.5 (since Kingdom Hearts is the best thing Square has ever done since 1994) but I can't tear myself away from the GOAT Hyrule Warriors

Twenty minutes wouldn't be long enough for the soundtrack, so they had to extend it. For Nobuo!

zkylon

zkylewd
Perhaps it's because I never liked FF7 as much as everyone else (I enjoyed it but didn't get as into it as 6), but Advent Children is one of my favorite movies. The story is... well, to be expected, but it's just such an epic spectacle that I can't help but enjoy it every time I watch it. I've bought it *3* times (dvd, PSP, BR) :p
it's fine by me if you enjoyed it, i personally couldn't wait for it to end

Twenty minutes wouldn't be long enough for the soundtrack, so they had to extend it. For Nobuo!

i imagine advent children being an excellent music video series

they should've done that

tbh even if Persona 5 was on steam id probably still get it on ps4 so i could play it on vita :D, would love to see them hit steam though along with the Tales of games

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- MB-6830E91070947367 - Taken by ExoSoul. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-CF6ECDDD5D09F444 - Taken by Mr. Doop. 31 entrants total.
Final Fantasy VII -- MB-CD7B5E7FD1425013 - Taken by WinterDemons. 29 entrants total.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 -- MB-12BFECB15DC58365 - Taken by texhnolyze. 51 entrants total.
Final Fantasy XIII -- MB-BAAEDD9654A81483 - Taken by Shalashaska. 38 entrants total.
Final Fantasy VIII -- MB-1BF19DEE9C77172C - Taken by Grief.exe. 34 entrants total.

t1423180519z1.png

Terra_Ex

Those Persona menu gifs, man... Hopefully Valkyria's stylish visuals and success on Steam will encourage Sega to get Atlus to port those fancy menus to PC. At least my PS4 will see some use when it releases.

Dr Dogg

Oh and belated Happy B'Day PetriP-TNT

They already yanked it. We have to buy our games from a "real" store :p

I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised

Well I'm hoping since it's not an all signing, all dancing, simultaneous retail release that it should be fine. Saying that it's not got a price anywhere let alone the Community Hub up so just a little patience is required me thinks.

Well 3840x2160 is great for consumption it's more hassle than it's worth for productivity due to how Windows handles ppi scaling. OS X is a bit better but Steam looks horrid on either at that high a resolution. Compound that with that large a resolution in such a small canvas, ie 15.6" of screen real estate and a lot of applications are going to be impossible to read let alone use.

If you want to record some 4k content there's nothing stopping you downsampling from that resolution using DSR regardless what the monitor resolution is and you should be able to capture it. You'll need a rocket fast SSD though unless you really want to sacrifice bitrate or framerate.

Edit: Just been having a play about. FRAPS ground my PC to a halt, Afterburner topped out at 38fps and maxed all my CPU cores (4670k clocked @ 4.4ghz) and ever reliable ShadowPlay kept the framerate high and CPU usage low.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Those Persona menu gifs, man... Hopefully Valkyria's stylish visuals and success on Steam will encourage Sega to get Atlus to port those fancy menus to PC. At least my PS4 will see some use when it releases.

I'll be happy just with a port of Resonance of Fate.

MadGear

I really need to check out either the Persona Games and/or Kingdom Hearts games one day (never owned a PS2). People always speak so highly of them that it makes me feel like missing out on something big. Both series should probably work well with PCSX, so maybe I'll give them a try sooner or later. The issue with both of them however is that they seem to require a larger amount of time ... which is actually something that is slightly off putting to me nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom