• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (iapetus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Broken Sword 1: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut -- MB-DF1EC1E66719A73F - Taken by Loptous
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror -- MB-FACCF4B6A72EF5A4 - Taken by brassica

Dr Dogg

I own two Wii Us.

A WiiW then.

Do ya'll think there's a market for a 4-5 hr $10 single-player indie FPS?

Sure, I mean technically unless you have something abhorrent on your hands there's a market for pretty much anything. What the really question should is there a market big enough to cover the cost of the project without having to reduce it in scope.Hard Reset kind of fits the 4-5 hour indie SP orientated FPS and that got a good reception.

Semi sort of Vanquish is a great template for short length, mechanic focused action game. Story, plot, characters are there but really just enough so it can say "right you know who they are and what the score is, go and have fun!". Where the game stands out is that it has a vast array of mechanics that all mesh well together, with speed and fluency being a focus, with core skills governed by a meter that has a certain amount of risk-reward associated with it. The length isn't an issue for me as most of the encounters and bosses are organic enough that replaying them again, on harder difficulties or going for a high scores or lower times, is still enjoyable the 5th or 50th time. It's like a hark back to the late 80's, early 90's action games found in arcades without have to spend your pocket money to finish a playthrough.

Too many games these days try to be a 10-20 hour 'epic' but are either filler heavy or one and done titles. That's the emphasis they place on value over a shorter title that's immensely replayable. I mean how else would they sell you the new and improved sequel if you're glued to the initial game without a shitload of marketing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What is this "Evolve - Pre-load complete; unreleased" I have in my library? A beta of some sort?
Or is it the full game? And if so, how did I get it?

Did the game actually pre-load? Look in SteamApps\depotcache and see if there are any files with 228983 in the name.

Pachimari

Well, I played the beta of Evolve last year, but I haven't bought it anywhere, so I wondered why it's in my library and as "pre-load: complete".

I'm gonna take a look in my history to be sure.

[edit]
Checked my history and nope, haven't bought it.

Arthea

I feel gaming fatigue and thought it would be nice to play something like LYNE for couple of days... but there is nothing like LYNE in entire world. I even thought about contacting Thomas Bowker and asking for more of LYNE (><)
Or I could play some new VN, or finish some VN that I haven't finished yet.

Arthea

Well, Gabe is going to get dogpiled with emails now lol

it is kinda tempting, especially having in mind that the last time I contacted steam support it took them two weeks to answer or so, an answer was as helpful as a dead fly in the coffee cup too. (><)

Chariot

it is kinda tempting, especially having in mind that the last time I contacted steam support it took them two weeks to answer or so, an answer was as helpful as a dead fly in the coffee cup too. (><)
ikr
I am still a bit upset about them replying with generic german copy&paste text when I wrote them in english. Not even touching that they answered nothing.

Tizoc

I feel gaming fatigue and thought it would be nice to play something like LYNE for couple of days... but there is nothing like LYNE in entire world. I even thought about contacting Thomas Bowker and asking for more of LYNE (><)

Go play 1 finger death punch.
EDIT: Or freedom planet if you have it =3

zkylon

zkylewd

i kinda want to like lyne more but after doing like 200 of those puzzles i don't feel like the game's getting any more interesting

Arthea

ikr
I am still a bit upset about them replying with generic german copy&paste text when I wrote them in english. Not even touching that they answered nothing.

it may sound as blasphemy to some, but steam is still much better than PSN or eShop and XBLA, at least I can use paypal to buy stuff on steam, and I don't much need their support, especially when Jasec is around, and enchanted steam certainly helps a lot. Sony, Ninty and MS just infuriates me with their "we don't care for countries not on our list" (and most countries aren't) policy. You can make account not in your country for PSN and XBLA just fine, because they still want you to buy their consoles, but then they do everything in their power to make your life miserable.
I'll stick with steam and its horrible support, thank you. (><)

i kinda want to like lyne more but after doing like 200 of those puzzles i don't feel like the game's getting any more interesting

it's not about being interesting... LYNE is all about zen, I wouldn't even call it a puzzle game, strictly speaking, and you most likely aren't a zen person, that is all. ;)

Dr Dogg

Sounds more like you've got buyers withdraw. You've not used to playing all these games and not blindly adding to the pile with bundles here and pricing errors there. I bet buying a game right now would be like that first cup of coffee after a month off, incredibly satisfying for 5 mins then you need more to fuel your habit.

Arthea

Go play 1 finger death punch.
EDIT: Or freedom planet if you have it =3

one finger death punch is amazing, but it is a damn intense game to the point that it is antizen even.

Sounds more like you've got buyers withdraw. You've not used to playing all these games and not blindly adding to the pile with bundles here and pricing errors there. I bet buying a game right now would be like that first cup of coffee after a month off, incredibly satisfying for 5 mins then you need more to fuel your habit.

I'm very afraid you might be right about all this, very afraid. (><)

You can play Last Inua if you haven't, it's a relaxing game mostly.

thanks for suggestion, I probably will try it, I haven't played it yet. It has a gameplay, hasn't it? I'm not very fond of walking simulators in general.

I haven't felt the slightest inclination to play it, so what do I know!
People still seem to be playing it even though I predicted it would die in the first quarter, so it has to have some redeeming features, right? Right? =p
It's a tall dwarf. Console only gamers don't have much choice so they have to stick with it.

thanks for suggestion, I probably will try it, I haven't played it yet. It has a gameplay, hasn't it? I'm not very fond of walking simulators in general.

Yes, it has puzzley/platformey gameplay, but it's mostly very easy and relaxing, game is also short, so you can finish it in a couple or three hours.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's not about being interesting... LYNE is all about zen, I wouldn't even call it a puzzle game, strictly speaking, and you most likely aren't a zen person, that is all. ;)
that's insulting -__-

i'm actually working on a puzzle game now and was looking at others for inspiration (maybe we should have a chat one of these days) and i like lyne but i'm gonna go in a very different direction. thousands of randomly generated puzzles aren't really my thing

Shadownet

Banned
The latter, most likely. Those games on or near the top of the list are probably deserving of the accolades, though. When Zelda drops, I'll pick up a Wii U, but the lack of any new Metroid news is saddening.

I'll pick up a Wii U when a new Megaman game come out.

Dr Dogg

I'm very afraid you might be right about all this, very afraid. (><)

Well the moment AssCreed Rogue get's a buy button I'm snagging that and it will be my fifth and supposedly final purchase of the year. Now I'm going to run in to trouble here as I've already got Arkham Knight preordered at Amazon so I'm either going to bend my rules and say that the intent was to buy it last year but Amazon don't charge until dispatch or just be a good boy and cancel it and stay on track. That's not even accounting for Lightning Returns, Zelda U or if Trails 2nd gets a release this year. 5 games a year when you have wide ranging tastes is really, really hard. If a stealth release or late port of a fav of mine turns up then I'm going to cry.

Arthea

that's insulting -__-

i'm actually working on a puzzle game now and was looking at others for inspiration (maybe we should have a chat one of these days) and i like lyne but i'm gonna go in a very different direction. thousands of randomly generated puzzles aren't really my thing

you are making a game, obviously you aren't lazy enough to be a zen person!
Wait... you are making a puzzle game? I was under impression that you don't even like puzzle games that much.

Well the moment AssCreed Rogue get's a buy button I'm snagging that and it will be my fifth and supposedly final purchase of the year. Now I'm going to run in to trouble here as I've already got Arkham Knight preordered at Amazon so I'm either going to bend my rules and say that the intent was to buy it last year but Amazon don't charge until dispatch or just be a good boy and cancel it and stay on track. That's not even accounting for Lightning Returns, Zelda U or if Trails 2nd gets a release this year. 5 games a year when you have wide ranging tastes is really, really hard. If a stealth release or late port of a fav of mine turns up then I'm going to cry.

I have 5 games on my "can't not buy" list until the summer sale alone, and I preodered Pillars of Eternity already, so that make six and you plan to buy only 5 this whole year? With all due respect, that's impossible to believe (><)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I could almost afford Besiege, I just need more cards to sell :<

By the way, how's Seven Kingdoms 2 HD? Is it a good RTS?

Catshade

Come to iOS/Android, where there are dozens of LYNE-clones in the app store.

Deques

I'm watching the secret ending of Birth by Sleep. Man, this saga is messed up. I thought this game was a prequel, but it seems a sequel to, or at least a prequel of both KH1 and KH2?
I need to check a Wiki or something.
EDIT: No wait, it seems a sequel to KH2 too? I'm out.
I think I'll watch this http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/g84vkz/timeline-kingdom-hearts

I haven't played the games, only Birth by Sleep, but I have read the story about the series. It has the most messed up story of all game series and it needs to get rebooted if they want to continue with formula. I don't even think Square Enix know what they do anymore. The just screw it more for each game they make

zkylon

zkylewd
you are making a game, obviously you aren't lazy enough to be a zen person!
Wait... you are making a puzzle game? I was under impression that you don't even like puzzle games that much.
i like making them more that i like playing them

also experimenting with new ways of designing shit

pretty fun

might ask you for advice later. it's pretty minimalistic (as in, very much like lyne), but i'm designing all the puzzles by hand since that's cooler imo.

Maniac

Banned
I accept this reasoning. I do have a 500GB cap I need to be mindful of. ;)

Aw.

That sucks.

Lemme pour some salt in there. We pay for 90/90 speed, mmm, lets rub it in goooood.

I get around 100/100, stings doesn't it? Mmm, lemme pour some more in there.

I don't have a cap, and I don't know of a single ISP in this country with caps on anything but their cellphone data-plans. Mmm, that salt. Mmmmm. awwyis.jpeg

I'm so sorry :(
Yeah I've still had and still do have fun with the game but trying to keep up with the DLC release schedule is nuts.

Also @JaseC, you might want to look into buying those new Payday 2 packs, as they are apparently limited and will not be available to buy after the "hype train" event is over, not sure if you collect DLC too but I thought I'd give you a heads up.

Yeah... Overkill seems to have gone full-retard when it comes to DLC. I really don't think we need a new pack every week, and I really don't think they should ever overtake Dungeon Defenders or Train Sim.

Because that would be a travesty.

And it would make Payday 2 an abomination. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom